Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sef’s Shield Tech PvP Tanking Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Sef’s Shield Tech PvP Tanking Guide

lordnathanial
08.23.2013 , 03:21 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by dijskykiller View Post
Honestly, i have never tanked in low-level warzones as i've started as dps on my PT.

At 55, you should be averaging for 300k protection in every wz against an average dps team. Good dps teams will net you 500k or above protection, while bad ones will give you 100-200k.

Protection will always vary depending on how heavy the firepower of the opposing team is and amount of healers on your team. Also, don't just pay attention on numbers. A lot of things happen in the game that is not calculated by the scoreboard like objective plays. As long as you take a big chunk of the other team's damage and keep everybody alive with minimal amount of deaths in the end, you are doing a good job.
Thanks a bunch I appreciate it. I always play objectives and try to guard and taunt as much as I can. I am new at it and was curious if I was doing it close to right. I really appreciate the help. I primarily play my Sin but when I need a break I like tanking on my PT.
Jung Ma
Belliandra Op- Bloodius Sniper - Bloodeus Slinger - Mytherious Jugg - Annalinandra PT - Mytharificous Mando - Mythellia Merc - Necroficium - Sorcerer
Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/zPwtFj

Aetideus
08.27.2013 , 06:10 PM | #22
#1 guide.
Minimum Defence still stands or should be some more?
Some additions (Vanguard tree):
- Use 3 skill p on Overcharged and none on Supercharged/ Static Surge.
- Use 2 on Demolition and 1 on Focused
- Use 1 Veracity crafted implant.

dijskykiller
08.27.2013 , 09:49 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetideus View Post
#1 guide.
Minimum Defence still stands or should be some more?
Some additions (Vanguard tree):
- Use 3 skill p on Overcharged and none on Supercharged/ Static Surge.
- Use 2 on Demolition and 1 on Focused
- Use 1 Veracity crafted implant.
Yes, defense remains to be the last priority.

I don't really like the idea of dropping flame surge as FS gives us good team utility with combust and firestorm. Having 2 free aoe slow and damage debuff is a must for PT tanks if you are main tanking. Supercharged Ion Gas also gives you aoe slow from IGC procs thru RS, which is another form of utility. If you have read my guide, i prioritized in this order to increase my PT's effectiveness in PvP: tankiness>utility>damage. Damage is the last thing that we want to do as a main tank.

Crafted implants are considered BiS in pvp, however having that advantage in rwzs are frowned upon by pvpers and i also believe in fair play and prefer the non-bolstered pvp gear.
Hankk Dubs
Scrapper Scoundrel
Backrocket Bastards
RP swag, PvP flagged.

Aetideus
08.28.2013 , 07:49 PM | #24
Yes, defense remains to be the last priority.

I don't really like the idea of dropping flame surge as FS gives us good team utility with combust and firestorm. Having 2 free aoe slow and damage debuff is a must for PT tanks if you are main tanking. Supercharged Ion Gas also gives you aoe slow from IGC procs thru RS, which is another form of utility. If you have read my guide, i prioritized in this order to increase my PT's effectiveness in PvP: tankiness>utility>damage. Damage is the last thing that we want to do as a main tank.

Crafted implants are considered BiS in pvp, however having that advantage in rwzs are frowned upon by pvpers and i also believe in fair play and prefer the non-bolstered pvp gear.
Thanks for the clarification about Supercharged.
For Static Surge being energy management, Ill stay with 2 p elsewhere.
Veracity is BiS but there is a 900 hp and 102 abs loss if both are used.

KevMeup
08.29.2013 , 04:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by lordnathanial View Post
Which are the best tanking keybinds? To make selecting people to guard easier.
I use F for guard and G for follow so I can switch and find my guard targets quickly. I'd also recommend marking your favorite healer or guard target on your side with a Shield Icon (non hutball), so you can always see them on the battlefield.

If you're real advanced you can get into using focus target more (ALT F sets it, Control F give you their target), but thats a bit much for me right now.

I just added a recommendation for an automatic marker and debuf here if you want to bump it.
Visual Marker for Guard Target AND Debuff for being out of 15m range to Tank
Kevgent - <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
My companion parses over 5k dps in HM Star Fortress, does yours?
Companion Use and Optimization Guide

dijskykiller
08.29.2013 , 07:01 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by KevMeup View Post
I use F for guard and G for follow so I can switch and find my guard targets quickly. I'd also recommend marking your favorite healer or guard target on your side with a Shield Icon (non hutball), so you can always see them on the battlefield.

If you're real advanced you can get into using focus target more (ALT F sets it, Control F give you their target), but thats a bit much for me right now.

I just added a recommendation for an automatic marker and debuf here if you want to bump it.
Visual Marker for Guard Target AND Debuff for being out of 15m range to Tank
The only problem in your setup is you're wasting a mark on your teammate that should be on the opposing team. Healers are just easy to find as long as you have good memory of their positions in the operation frame. That's what i do, at the start of every game i take note of who the healers are and the sorc/merc dps (squishy/casters) in rateds and even in regs. You should be able to see everybody in your screen by turning around frequently and observing movements of opposing team to guard switch before they burn their target. That way you don't have to put a mark on any teammates, because it may also confuse your dps focusing on marked targets.

Honestly, you wouldn't really need follow to stay in guard range as long as you have good awareness of your surroundings. You can be more efficient by pressing an ability instead of the follow button. But, whatever works for you man. Just saying.
Hankk Dubs
Scrapper Scoundrel
Backrocket Bastards
RP swag, PvP flagged.

Aetideus
08.30.2013 , 12:04 PM | #27
Is there any rational behind playing dps with 36 - * - * build, shield and dps gear?

dijskykiller
08.30.2013 , 12:53 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetideus View Post
Is there any rational behind playing dps with 36 - * - * build, shield and dps gear?
You mean going up the ST tree with basically dps gear and shield offhand, right? You won't be any good tanking or dps-ing because ST is all about mitigation and utility. You need to justify your mitigation and TTK to use all team utility and keep teammates alive, which you will not have in dps gear. If you want to focus dps-ing, i would suggest going through the 2 dps specs.

Though in 4v4, full AP with Oil Slick in IGC with full dps or tanking gear is viable for main tanking. I actually prefer it more than full ST for arenas. But that's for another topic.
Hankk Dubs
Scrapper Scoundrel
Backrocket Bastards
RP swag, PvP flagged.

Aetideus
08.30.2013 , 12:59 PM | #29
Though in 4v4, full AP with Oil Slick in IGC with full dps or tanking gear is viable for main tanking. I actually prefer it more than full ST for arenas. But that's for another topic.
Maybe worthy of a try.

KainrycKarr
09.10.2013 , 01:07 PM | #30
Why isn't this stickied?