Community going into toxic denial without criticism.

tusfullen

Hello,

I'm not that kind of person who posts on forum, if i recall correctly i've made only one post more than one year ago about progenitor eu being not much populated server, and now it's gone... into one big english one. What do I mean by community going into toxic denial? just that, people are denying that game is going into bad direction so fierce that i start to think that they are trolling.

First facts, i love this game more than i started to love wow in 2007s, when before it i was playing game called "Tibia" (retro 2d mmo, well, at least now it's retro) so imagine what was my kid's brain impressed with when wow was my 2nd game ever.

I love also star wars and story is one of best things about this game alongside setting.

let's face it, swtor will perish without more attention... imo, swtor needs this what FFXIV did, shut game for some time, rebuilded it, launched again and made huge, enourmous you can say success.

Now game facts, on launch there were literally houndreds of servers, now we have 5. FIVE, when i started to discuss this in my guild someone replied, every mmo loses it's players. Yeah, it's like buying bread for 500 euro, because everything costs money, even if those 5 servers were FULL at all time, it's still a bad sign..

After KOTET launch game started to bleed players, why people are deying that? GC was bad, stories were great but short to keep up subbed playerbase, and now it doesn't matter if ur rep or imp because of common goal, idk how they are going to undo that if they ever will.

Game is doing bad, i wish it's best, but why people deny that? i'm just like, it's going bad, but nontheless i love it to the fullest, paying in cartel and constantly subbing.

Edited by tusfullen

let's face it, swtor will perish without more attention...

Not that long ago, there was another person who posted on these forums. His forum handle, or at least one of his handles, was MadCuzBad. He created a thread called "Game is Dying, Nowhere to Go."

In that thread, he was raising his concerns in a years-long heated campaign highlighting what he believed was the loss of his play style as the player base continued to shrink. Fair enough.

He did not pursue his campaign in such a way on this forum that endeared everyone to his cause. He called us white knights and a host of other names and derisively tossed labels at anyone who disagreed with him.

But that's in the past.

I see signs of what he meant to get across (despite all of his vitriol) in what you say. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with what you say, but please allow me to add some nuance.

Not everything is as black and white as you paint it. Even those on these forums who some would see as incorrigible defenders of the game -- the white knights, the apologists -- aren't blind to the relative instability of the current situation.

But rather than merely raise up the negative aspects of our experiences with the game, or the way it's deployed, or the way it's maintained, we know that there is also value in finding the positives in the situation, and to hold them up as what continues to give us value in playing the game despite the many shortcomings surrounding it.

So while you may feel that we're turning a blind eye to the bad stuff, we are not. Our eyes are wide open.

But some choose to see more than just the negative.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Not that long ago, there was another person who posted on these forums. His forum handle, or at least one of his handles, was MadCuzBad. He created a thread called "Game is Dying, Nowhere to Go."

In that thread, he was raising his concerns in a years-long heated campaign highlighting what he believed was the loss of his play style as the player base continued to shrink. Fair enough.

He did not pursue his campaign in such a way on this forum that endeared everyone to his cause. He called us white knights and a host of other names and derisively tossed labels at anyone who disagreed with him.

But that's in the past.

I see signs of what he meant to get across (despite all of his vitriol) in what you say. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with what you say, but please allow me to add some nuance.

Not everything is as black and white as you paint it. Even those on these forums who some would see as incorrigible defenders of the game -- the white knights, the apologists -- aren't blind to the relative instability of the current situation.

But rather than merely raise up the negative aspects of our experiences with the game, or the way it's deployed, or the way it's maintained, we know that there is also value in finding the positives in the situation, and to hold them up as what continues to give us value in playing the game despite the many shortcomings surrounding it.

So while you may feel that we're turning a blind eye to the bad stuff, we are not. Our eyes are wide open.

Very well said.

This could be applied to almost every post I make.

But that's in the past.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I am fully aware of the fact that the game isn't what it used to be, I am aware of the fact that the playerbase has shrunk a lot. But does that stop me from daily enjoying logging into the game? Does it stop me from appreciating the content that we get and the time I get to play in the game? Absolutely not.

My eyes are wide open when it comes to the state of the game, but I don't see how that should turn my enjoyment of the game into pessimism or negativity. My mind just doesn't work that way and honestly it makes me a happier person. Because if I dwelled on the dwindling playerbase or the content trickle, then my enjoyment of the game would suffer under it. And why would I want that?

Besides, I have been hearing "SWTOR is dying" ever since I first started playing this game in 2012. Every year it has been the same arguments put forward but what seemed to be the same people. So if the game has been dying for all that time now, if the game has been dying in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and so forth, and so forth... then it can't be in such a bad state, now can it? Because if something is truly dying, the faintest breeze will kill it off. And yet... for all these years, Star Wars The Old Republic has persisted.

Edited by Ylliarus

But that's in the past.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think its denial or even a "white-knighting" attitude, its just us enjoying things despite the negatives. And once it happens, what we're going to do? Nothing. But until it happens we can enjoy our time here without constantly worrying about the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over... you get my point.

Are you saying... that SWTOR is a ghost? :eek:

Can we force-walk SWTOR then?

Very nicely said xordevoreaux!

It's a very delicate balance imo.

So you buy the moldy bread with the EA logo? 500 euros up front?

Or do they sell you 3 slices, then ask you for 100 euros for slightly less moldy bread, and then 50 euros for each additional slice (except at times a day when bread consumption is at its expected highest, in which case it's 60 euros per slice)?

I'm sure the bread had top-notch commercials, not making any judgements.

Just saying there's non-moldy bread out there.

Told some old friends who used to play swtor about the double exp 2 week event, quality of life improvements, game is actually playable now™, and they linked me TORTANIC memes and youtube videos from 2011/2012. I'm the only person I know that still plays swtor.

Hah TOR died the day after it launched back in 2012 get with the times

this guy is probably right, in the eyes of most people outside of these forums, the subbreddit and some discords, the game is dead to them.

Edited by Falensawino

So you buy the moldy bread with the EA logo? 500 euros up front?

Or do they sell you 3 slices, then ask you for 100 euros for slightly less moldy bread, and then 50 euros for each additional slice (except at times a day when bread consumption is at its expected highest, in which case it's 60 euros per slice)?

I'm sure the bread had top-notch commercials, not making any judgements.

Just saying there's non-moldy bread out there.

But I don't need other "non-moldy bread". I have tried out ESO, I have tried out WoW, I have tried out Guild Wars 2... but I kept losing interest after a while. But SWTOR? SWTOR has managed to keep my interest caught for 6 years now, everytime I try out other MMO's it's SWTOR that I keep returning to. Even after 6 years. The only game that kept me interested similarly is Stellaris but that's still a young game.