Disney is reviving Lucasfilm Games

TrixxieTriss

I just read this interesting article that is suggesting Disney isn’t happy with EAs managing of the Star Wars IP or not, depending on how you look at it.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/lucasfilm-games-revival?tw=pcgn_ne

They are hiring producers, artists, software engineers... etc

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/search-jobs?k=lucasfilm%20games

What does this mean for swtor, BF2 and the SW game currently in development?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

:eek: this is very interesting stuff, I guess this means that once the exclusivity license runs out in 4 years Disney will look to release its own in-house stuff. Perhaps Lucasfilm Games will even become a new Lucasarts. Regardless I think for this game it doesn't mean much as our license runs out on 2021 if I recall, unless it is renewed. I suppose we could get the Lucasfilm logo on the starter screen replaced with lucasfilm games'.

Quotes from Disney folks themselves counter the speculation presented in the article:

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/disney-video-game-star-wars-ea-1203129606/

Yes I read that too back in February. But you wouldn’t expect Disney to come out and publically admonish EA even if they are unhappy.

Even if or when they part ways, I wouldn’t expect them to officially say anything negative because it wouldn’t be professional

There is a wide gap between not admonishing someone and actively praising them, and Disney has repeatedly done the latter. I would tend to go with what Disney has specifically said rather than a piece that is pure speculation that literally is reporting an uninvolved person's opinion on what might be the case.

:eek: this is very interesting stuff, I guess this means that once the exclusivity license runs out in 4 years Disney will look to release its own in-house stuff. Perhaps Lucasfilm Games will even become a new Lucasarts. Regardless I think for this game it doesn't mean much as our license runs out on 2021 if I recall, unless it is renewed. I suppose we could get the Lucasfilm logo on the starter screen replaced with lucasfilm games'.

There is a positive though. “If” EA decided to shutter swtor or Bioware Austin, there would be a ledgitmate place for swtor to migrate to and still be kept live to play.

I think most of us agree it would never be given to a rival games developer to look after because it’s EAs and Disney’s intellectual property. But it would be less complicated if it was taken in house to be looked after by Disney

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It makes sense for Disney to gear up now to get momentum behind any development house, because it takes years to make an MMO (or anything else). There's the London Philharmonic Orchestra to rent for a couple weeks, pay John Williams exorbitant sums for a new full-length musical score, build the 3D models for all those species people want, and of course spending a couple years figuring out the intricacies of all those flirts and romances.

Oh yeah, and coding the game.

If you had to pick. EA or Disney?

Who do you pick?

Both, neither, all of the above?

I dunno. Who's to say Disney wouldn't be worse with the money grubbing in the game dept.?

I guess my point is, go over to the Star Wars section in the this forum and you can read all the "I hate what Disney did with the sequels!!!" but wait they're going to open up a game studio?!? CLAP HANDS! CLAP HANDS!...

Edited by iowaboynca

So what, we all like Disney now?

Talk about a love, hate relationship...:rak_03:

No, Disney can never be forgiven for their crimes against art. (A mea culpa could be expressed by finishing 1313 and the real Battlefront 3 without altering any story, but that would still not absolve them of everything.) And I'm not naive enough to think they will keep SWTOR running. They most likely would want to develop their own MMO set in their trash canon instead of the EU.

And I'm not naive enough to think they will keep SWTOR running. They most likely would want to develop their own MMO set in their trash canon instead of the EU.

Disney doesn't have sole rights to SWTOR. EA owns the code, artwork etc. Disney rather obviously owns the ip. If EA were to lose their license for any reason, this game would almost certainly shutdown. Keeping it open would take concerted effort on the part of both Disney, EA and possibly a third party. In such an event either party could decline (for a variety of valid reasons) to allow the game to continue.

MMO's are quite old school now. There's not likely to a successor to this game that we could obviously call an mmo.

Even if or when they part ways, I wouldn’t expect them to officially say anything negative because it wouldn’t be professional

Oh, I disagree.

If you have contracted someone to deliver a service / product to an accepted standard and they don't the unprofessional thing is to say and do nothing.

All The Best

No, Disney can never be forgiven for their crimes against art. (A mea culpa could be expressed by finishing 1313 and the real Battlefront 3 without altering any story, but that would still not absolve them of everything.) And I'm not naive enough to think they will keep SWTOR running. They most likely would want to develop their own MMO set in their trash canon instead of the EU.

I agree, I did not like the sequel trilogy and how far it departed from the EU. One of the reasons I love SWTOR is the EU setting. I think Disney has been bad for Star Wars, and that the franchise was better off when there was no expectation of a sequel trilogy as George had said his story was over. I loved the books in the Expanded Universe/Legends canon and was looking forward to the Sword of the Jedi novels before Disney scrapped the EU. To me Disney if just as bad as EA, just in different ways. EA has been accused of trying to milk the players for money endlessly, while Disney seems to want to milk the Star Wars franchise for all its worth while at the same time getting rid of a large part of what made it great (the 30 years worth of universe-building in the Expanded Universe).

MMO's are quite old school now. There's not likely to a successor to this game that we could obviously call an mmo.

This makes me sad... I remember playing Star Wars Galaxies back in the day and loving that game, even post-CU and NGE. At the same time, I was excited for SWTOR. I remembered hearing that the sequel to my favorite game, KOTOR II, would be an MMO that I could experience with friends. I remember being super hyped back in 2008 when first hearing about the BioWare/EA partnership. Back then I had, maybe somewhat foolishly, believed that both SWTOR and Star Wars Galaxies could co-exist. Even though I would not want another Star Wars MMO from DIsney, it makes me sad that the MMO gamestyle is considered old school and not as popular.