Question for fellow tanks...

Tasslleholf

Ok so again I am finding now with the rewards in GF better that more stupid players are joining in. Namely dps that become impatient and rather pull pull pull verse doing there job and dealing the damage...

Recently I have come across a number of them which promptly I have told them to let me pull. Yet this does not seem to stop the morons from doing so which I then being a shadow vanish and let them bite the dust next pull similar situations. So Finally I come to dropping the groups.

What do yall do to stop this annoying crap specially on boss fights and normal trash pulls containing 3+ elites.

Don't drop group, initiate a votekick. The rest of your group should know that waiting for a tank can take a looong time.

This attitude ticks me off so much. Yes there are some DPS that are straight dumb. But I really flipping hate tanks that assume that since they are the sole determent of flashpoint pops that therefore everyone must grovel before their every whim.

I'm sick and tired of waiting hours for a pop just to get some mediocre tank that plays and behaves in a manner that would have earned a instant votekick if he had been a DPS, but since he is a tank nobody will argue with him.

This attitude ticks me off so much. Yes there are some DPS that are straight dumb. But I really flipping hate tanks that assume that since they are the sole determent of flashpoint pops that therefore everyone must grovel before their every whim.

I'm sick and tired of waiting hours for a pop just to get some mediocre tank that plays and behaves in a manner that would have earned a instant votekick if he had been a DPS, but since he is a tank nobody will argue with him.

Yes, just yes. 1 time I tried to initiate a votekick because we have a powertech in tank stance but dps spec. I explained to him first but said ''l2p nob lol''. After that, before a boss fight, he went afk for 10 mins, so we started the fight without him. We won, but the other said I was the one that started the battle. Ended up me being kicked.

Then role a tank. I don't mean to sound like an ***, but the reason there are so few tanks in this game (or any game for that matter) is it takes some skills that just can't be taught. Yes I know tanking is easy *rolls eyes* if it was so easy, we wouldn't have so many bad tanks. When you look at the ratio between each role and bad players in that role. You are for more likely to get a bad tank over a bad healer or bad DPS.... there are just not many of them.

Now... with DPS pulling... that's them being an *** and wanting to speed run every thing. Because the amount of mechanics a DPS needs to know compared to a tank is like a 5th. They don't need to know about tank swaps or positioning or how the tanks are going to deal with certain situations if they pop up. Hell most of the time you can brain dead yourself as a DPS and just tune every thing out and smash buttons and be fine. That doesn't work as a tank. This is happened to me before. I'm trying to teach a new tank to the mechanics of the fight so he doesn't wipe the group or get people killed and to my not very surprise a DPS jumps in or tracer missiles or what ever because mechanics aren't important.... we wipe.

So I've adopted an old rule that has become increasingly used with tanks as MMOs have gone on of "you pull it, you tank it". A couple times of that and normally the DPS stops. but then sometimes you still get those overly retarded ones that just can't learn.

Edited by XisscVekno

Yes, just yes. 1 time I tried to initiate a votekick because we have a powertech in tank stance but dps spec. I explained to him first but said ''l2p nob lol''. After that, before a boss fight, he went afk for 10 mins, so we started the fight without him. We won, but the other said I was the one that started the battle. Ended up me being kicked.

Well, you can't fix stupid or impatience. And in your case it sounds like the group would rather not take the chance of a longer queue due to impatience than have a smoother and more enjoyable run.

Along your story, I was playing my healer once and couldn't figure out how this tank was taking so much damage. He was in the right spec (he was a shadow and I main a shadow/assassin tank) from what it looked like. Then I looked at his gear and he had no tanking gear on.... now even a shield generator. I asked him if he could get into his tanking gear.... he replied back with "I am". Needless to say I dropped group.

Well, you can't fix stupid or impatience. And in your case it sounds like the group would rather not take the chance of a longer queue due to impatience than have a smoother and more enjoyable run.

Along your story, I was playing my healer once and couldn't figure out how this tank was taking so much damage. He was in the right spec (he was a shadow and I main a shadow/assassin tank) from what it looked like. Then I looked at his gear and he had no tanking gear on.... now even a shield generator. I asked him if he could get into his tanking gear.... he replied back with "I am". Needless to say I dropped group.

What level were they? Now you can get tank gear as low as level 17, and an adaptive shield at 7 at the old Tython vendor.

Honestly, that's because you don't tank. Your "bad player" stories if you *were* a tank would revolve around DPS and (more rarely, though it certainly happens) heals.

And no, I wasn't suggesting being a tyrant. I was reminding the OP that he should remember his leverage, particularly since he was in the right.

It's funny, though: I originally leveled a tank to do public service qs. Then, of course, the shortage of competent tanks did its work and I got recruited for raid groups. And then I realized what hadn't been clear to me before: decent tanks don't need to q. They can get geared up as fast as the lockouts allow, in SM op runs that are now actually faster than many HMFP runs, or in quick HMFP runs to get guildmates' weeklies done. That's why many of the tanks you'll see in GF are either in a hurry, not very good, or both. Sadly, I've sort of become the guy in a hurry.

PS - if a craptank drops, you can finish on your own. I've finished a run of Rakata Prime - including the bonus boss - with Treek tanking after our GF one DCed late at night.

Edited by flem

Then role a tank. I don't mean to sound like an ***, but the reason there are so few tanks in this game (or any game for that matter) is it takes some skills that just can't be taught. Yes I know tanking is easy *rolls eyes* if it was so easy, we wouldn't have so many bad tanks. When you look at the ratio between each role and bad players in that role. You are for more likely to get a bad tank over a bad healer or bad DPS.... there are just not many of them.

Now... with DPS pulling... that's them being an *** and wanting to speed run every thing. Because the amount of mechanics a DPS needs to know compared to a tank is like a 5th. They don't need to know about tank swaps or positioning or how the tanks are going to deal with certain situations if they pop up. Hell most of the time you can brain dead yourself as a DPS and just tune every thing out and smash buttons and be fine. That doesn't work as a tank. This is happened to me before. I'm trying to teach a new tank to the mechanics of the fight so he doesn't wipe the group or get people killed and to my not very surprise a DPS jumps in or tracer missiles or what ever because mechanics aren't important.... we wipe.

So I've adopted an old rule that has become increasingly used with tanks as MMOs have gone on of "you pull it, you tank it". A couple times of that and normally the DPS stops. but then sometimes you still get those overly retarded ones that just can't learn.

This. If those of you idiot DPS who think it's cool to pull whenever you want and expect the tank to save your *****es, first, I'll happily watch you die, and then you'll be looking for another tank. Have fun waiting in GF - and don't expect to get me again because you'll be on my ignore list so fast it'll make your head spin.

Edited by Powerinfusion

Go away. Know your role, or don't play.

Never have problems with pulling dps. Normally I have to wait for them to catch up on me ;)

I would have to agree there, although I have not tanked much 60 content on my Sin Tank (Waiting for that on the move Depredating Volts) but at level 30ish my Jugg Tank has to wait for people to catch up, although I can chain pull like 3 mobs and still facetank them while waiting for my healer to catch up.

Easy, you pull it, you tank it.

If someone ninja-pulls, ask the healer NOT to heal that DPS during the fight and focus on himself, tank and second DPS.

After dying three, four times and QQ'ing why he is not getting heal, and tank explaining pulling is HIS job, he'll leave or get the point.

In Ops : votekick away, after one very vocal warning in Ops chat.

cba to play with those kind of arses.

After dying three, four times and QQ'ing why he is not getting heal, and tank explaining pulling is HIS job, he'll leave or get the point.

No, a tanks job is to hold aggro on most or all enemies and not wasting everybody elses time by standing around or being a diva.

Seriously, pretty much EVERY time I've witnessed a tank complaining about pulling dps, it's because they're wasting time standing around. Check if everybody's there and has enough resources, then pull. You don't need every cooldown your class has for every pull.

And before somebody complains: 8 of the 12 toons listed in my signature are tanks.

Edited by Torvai

I'm just gonna quote myself from a similar thread from 2 years ago (lame, i know)

I felt it insulting when people sat idly by waiting for me to "build aggro". I find it doubly insulting these days when a raid leader says "let the tank build aggro".

Every tank at every level has all the tools to keep aggro on anything. It might take a guard if there's a well geared player 5 or 6 level above yours, but that's all there is to it. Stop complaining about other people and start thinking about what you can do to make yourself better. A brain dead dps coming along for the ride in a flashpoint just makes it more fun (hard).

I also find it insulting when i dps. Why should i not do my job because the tank doesn't want to do his?

^^^

This also applies to people pulling first.

And please guys, explaining tactics to another tank? All the bosses in SM can be solo tanked.

Edited by Kawabonga

No, a tanks job is to hold aggro on most or all enemies and not wasting everybody elses time by standing around or being a diva.

Seriously, pretty much EVERY time I've witnessed a tank complaining about pulling dps, it's because they're wasting time standing around. Check if everybody's there and has enough resources, then pull. You don't need every cooldown your class has for every pull.

And before somebody complains: 8 of the 12 toons listed in my signature are tanks.

While I mostly agree with this statement, it also kind of depends on if you're talking about FP or Ops. If you're talking FPs, unless that dps pulls more than you can handle and wipes the group, who cares? I haven't tanked all of the ops in this game yet, but did plenty of progression raiding for years in WoW and the times I did pug, if a dps pulled, either he got kicked or I just left. If I'm just running around in FPs as long as you're not pulling a boss before me I will taunt whatever you pull to me and tank as I should be, but ops are something much different. If I'm waiting on a pull in an Op it's for a reason. If you're not a tank and you pull in an Op, I default to "you pull it, you tank it".

While I mostly agree with this statement, it also kind of depends on if you're talking about FP or Ops. If you're talking FPs, unless that dps pulls more than you can handle and wipes the group, who cares? I haven't tanked all of the ops in this game yet, but did plenty of progression raiding for years in WoW and the times I did pug, if a dps pulled, either he got kicked or I just left. If I'm just running around in FPs as long as you're not pulling a boss before me I will taunt whatever you pull to me and tank as I should be, but ops are something much different. If I'm waiting on a pull in an Op it's for a reason. If you're not a tank and you pull in an Op, I default to "you pull it, you tank it".

Doesn't really matter if FP's or ops, really. Outside of bossfights, there's little reason to wait for cooldowns most of the time.

Even when we get started with an op and people are still semi afk, still zoning into the instance, or not even online yet, me and my co-tank are like "we have a dps and a heal? Alright, lets pull" :D

And this is in HM or NiM ops ;)

There's a lot of cut-and-dried answers in this thread, so I'm going to come in and muddy the waters and say that all these answers have merit, and none of them should be followed faithfully.

For me, how I react to DPS (or even healers) behaving in ways I don't expect is very situational. People get used to doing things a certain way, and change is scary, man. :) Just because I do things in X way doesn't mean that Y way isn't better, and maybe what they're doing is something that works better, and I simply don't know that. I've learned some useful things by not automatically assuming that what someone else is doing is wrong, and not simply different.

I generally try to talk to them first, and how I react keys off how they respond. If I get the sense that they're either inexperienced and willing to learn or experienced and willing to share their insight, I'll stick with it. If they're a jerk about it, then I might respond in one of the jerky fashions (letting them die, quitting the group, votekicking, etc.)

Just beause tanks are the holy grail doesn't mean we should expect everyone else to do things our way or the highway. That's the kind of attitude that will make me ban a co-tank, and damn the consequences.

Edited by AlixMV

• 3 months later...
I don't mind DPS pulls in tacticals, they are so easy anyway. I can't say many people do this in HM FP or OPS often but if someone does it too much I will just let them die. I find if I pull very quickly they don't have a chance anyway, just make sure you have rocket boots and they wont have a chance to ninja pull!