Incentive to join the Republic!

ItsIanK

In a two faction system, population balance is a very important part of Player vs. Player combat. It allows for faster queues on both sides for Arenas, Battlegrounds, Etc. as well as making Open-World PvP a much more reasonable idea (for current issues with this, see almost every other post in this forum).

That said, let's not focus on the problem it creates to have unbalanced factions (from a numbers perspective), but instead let us begin searching for a reasonable means to change this.

It seems, based both on forum posts and personal experience, that most players have avoided joining the Republic side on the SW:ToR conflict. At a base level, we can deduce one important fact: There is something about The Empire that has a greater draw than The Republic.

This could be something from any number of areas:

1. (Perceived) More Interesting/Unique Story
  2. The ability to actually be "Evil"
  3. Races [Albiet somewhat unlikely, let's not rule anything out just yet]
  4. Etc.

First, I propose we work on determining what aspects of Empire play are actually more appealing. If we are able to successfully analyse what parts of the Empire experience then we have begun the process of making positive strides towards population balance.

From there, we are able to start brainstorming ideas of what we can suggest to Bioware to help provide effective incentives for players to join The Republic.

Bear with me folks, because it will be a long process, but we as a community can ATTEMPT to have an impact in this. So start sharing your positive Empire experiences that have confirmed your selection of joining the Empire, or what elements brought you to join The Empire in the first place.

For those who have already joined the Republic: What aspects drew you in? What experiences made you stay with your decision? What could still be done to improve your experience EVEN MORE?

Race limitations between the two factions was a factor in my decision to make a slew of Empire characters. Lack of Chiss on the Republic side... irksome. It makes about as much sense to have Chiss with the Imperials as it does Chiss with the Republic, as insanely reclusive as the Chiss are.

With apologies for the D&D comparison, Jedi are being cast as Lawful Stupid rather than Lawful Good. Hence the Empire is more popular in part because, as many posts have already noted, it's more believable to be a good Sith than a good Jedi.

Really worried about this game. A game can fail due to imbalance. All the republic players will end up leaving if there is no incentive to join the republic. Then the Empire will start to unsub, because switching sides causes a loss of being able to play the side they actually want to. It is just going to keep getting worse until Bioware does something about the republic.

With apologies for the D&D comparison, Jedi are being cast as Lawful Stupid rather than Lawful Good. Hence the Empire is more popular in part because, as many posts have already noted, it's more believable to be a good Sith than a good Jedi.

This makes sense. So it is a fairly SUBSTANTIAL issue in regards to story that plays a role. This is something that would ultimately be VERY challenging to change. Is it possible to play a Lawful Evil Jedi (to stick with the D&D comparison) or even a full blown CE Jedi?

If not, it seems like the Empire really received a much broader range. Even early as a Sith Warrior, you are able to make some fairly substantial "positive" decisions and be a "Good" sith. But if the same mirror is not available...

For me it was mostly gear. On Republic side, all you had as Jedis were cloaks, and as JK they all had hoods up. On the Imperial side, the gear just looks so much better. The facemasks and helms look better, you had armor that make you look like a real operative rather than wearing a dress around.

I realize that cloaks are a Jedi thing, but it doesn't mean EVERY SINGLE JEDI has to wear it. Especially those who are professional combatants, you would think they would wear proper armor like they do on the Imperial side. If this goes against lore, well, there is a reason why this is taking place thousands of years before the movies... so they can have freedom in how they develop their world, so let's develop a universe where the Republic is at war and would probably want to wear armor.

And how about an option to put the hood down. The function is obviously there, if i'm wearing a cloak on the Imperial side and put on a helm, the hood goes down! So why not implement that option for us?

And sexiness. I realize Republic is the side of good, but that doesn't mean it has to be boring. Again, on Imperial side you have armor that shows some skin, or looks ******. On Republic, none of that. Just because Republic is the side of light they can't be sexy? That doesn't even make sense.

It's all fluff, but it's fluff that is obviously important to some people.

My RP experience started with AD&D - during that our parties were, invariably, made up of Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, LAwful Neutral and Neutral characters - we were the heroes of the adventure.

So, in the same way, I went for the republic.

Interestingly we have had, in the last 4 days, 3 people join our guild that started on the Imperial side (to be fair, one was an old mate of mine from WoW) - all of them said the same thing, though "I felt uncomfortable with some of the choices that I made as an Imperial".

Interesting, I thought - well, mildly so anyway....

OK - it's not intereresting - but I can't sleep!

Republic character:

Lightside options = Republic lapdog

Neutral options = Whatever

Darkside options = Petty Jerk

Empire characters:

Lightside options = Incorruptible living saint, paragon of nobility and justice

Neutral options = For the empire!

Darkside options = Just want to watch the world burn

Empire characters therefore have more definable personalities.

I do not like the republic. I tried rolling a smuggler, thinking i would help the population imbalance, but it was impossible to play because i was either working for the republic or killing children for credits.

Back to empire i go, where lightside actually makes me a good guy rather than a robot.

Republic side is just more bland, ive been saying it since beta, i predicted the population imbalance back when everyone thought republic would be more popular because 'good guys'.

Edited by Elysion

I do not like the republic. I tried rolling a smuggler, thinking i would help the population imbalance, but it was impossible to play because i was either working for the republic or killing children for credits..

You're right about that - I'm doing a smuggler now - I seem to have the choice of being a "would-be Jedi" or slaughtering everyone.

I have tried all 4 of the repub classes after leveling a SW to 41 and a SI to 36, both full DS. I wanted something different so I thought "I'll roll a full LS character, that will be fun!" Wrong! So many of the LS choices are so idiotic I literally found myself quoting Space Balls.

"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb."

So recovering stolen medical supplies and returning them to their rightful owners is.....DS? Letting someone edit footage to support a terrorist group rather than forcibly recovering the tapes is.....LS?

There's also the fact that ALL the male repub VO sucks compared to the male Imp (IMO). And I'm not talking just a little bit worse, I'm talking a LOT worse. You listen to the male BH or SW and then go hear the JC give a speech in his high whiny voice and tell me that was the best $100 million could buy.

Finally the population imbalance further exacerbates the situation. It's difficult to find groups for flashpoints and heroic content on the Imp side due to BW's complete lack of a functional LFG tool (I have yet to get a single invite just by posting a note in /who and the one person I tried to invite had completed the quest and forgot to remove the note). On the repub side it's practically impossible. 20 people on the starter planet at peak hours? Pretty pathetic.

Exactly. If the fight between Obi Wan and General Grievous had taken place in SWTOR, Obi Wan would have spared Grievous and they would have become best buddies. Why? Because actually killing anyone despite how evil and destructive they are is just EVIL, and such Jedi will be cast out of the order and damned to hell or burned at the stake as a witch. When I play Jedi I remember the Spaceballs fight between Lone Starr and Dark Helmet,

"Evil will always win because good is dumb."

Jedi in SWTOR aren't practical or wise, they are borderline hippie pacifists.

ETA: My Jedi should have had a /frustrated emote that had my character stomp their foot while playing a sound file some might remember, "Buttons and Barn doors!"

Edited by Hexasoul

My RP experience started with AD&D - during that our parties were, invariably, made up of Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, LAwful Neutral and Neutral characters - we were the heroes of the adventure.

So, in the same way, I went for the republic.

Interestingly we have had, in the last 4 days, 3 people join our guild that started on the Imperial side (to be fair, one was an old mate of mine from WoW) - all of them said the same thing, though "I felt uncomfortable with some of the choices that I made as an Imperial".

Interesting, I thought - well, mildly so anyway....

OK - it's not intereresting - but I can't sleep!

They sound weak.

here is an example of an empire class mission, which i will not divulge in order to prevent spoilers but you probably know it if you have played it.

You have to kill this guy who has been a loyal servant of the empire, with good reason. He understands the reason and even expects it and is meeting his fate bravely and dignified, exulting the empire to the end. You can feel the honor and nobility and such oozing out of the orifices of all involved.

The light side choice is kind words to your comrade before you both go at eachother, no holding back.

Its glorious and beautiful, but im sure since the guy dies that its upsetting to people who live sheltered lives.

And you know, i did a mission on the republic side on the smuggler/trooper planet, which allowd me to threaten the life of a child as the dark side option.

I have never seen such an evil option as a darkside option for empire.

The most upsetting thing ive seen empire side is how enemy jedi are always so petty and spiteful, and sometimes even fall to the darkside infront of you because they hate you so much.

The empire really shows how the republic is just a corrupt system with robot (jedi) defenders.

On the republic side however, you are constantly dealing with deserters, where the light side option is to let them desert!

what is this?

Would your friends have been uncomfortable holding them to their duties? To their oaths?

I rolled Republic, personally, because I like being the 'good guy' in games that I play. I feel wrong being the bad guy. Why all my toons are going light side, with very few DS options, and why I don't want to roll Empire, personally.

If you want to be the real good guy roll light side empire

Or rather, no, dont. It would just be one more person who can never play republic.

The empire side of this game is glorious. The republic is bland.

Most of the complaints i see about the game as far as story/cutscenes/appearances go, are usualy accompanied by a republic screenshot.

Is the dark side stronger?

No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

When a jedi loses themslves and draws on the dark side, they become broken. When a sith draws on the dark side, they just become more powerful.

The dark side embraces humanity, while this usually brings out the worst in people thats not the dark sides fault. The force cant be good or evil.

The dark side is easier because its natural. The light side seeks to suppress emotion.

If you could mix and choose the weak willed would be trained in the jedi way, and the strong in the sith way.

Hiding from emotion is not controlling it, its just being a different kind of slave to it. A jedi is just an instrument wielded by an unfeeling unthinking dogma, a sith is, for better or worse, a man.

Edited by Elysion

Republic story lines are pretty stale. There are a lot of missed opportunities, particularly with the lightside/darkside thing. If you go lightside, you basically never get a satisfying conclusion to any encounter. You just turn the other cheek and move on. At one point, after of course letting my enemy live, he goes on and kills himself anyway as I sit there and watch him do it. So much for useless loss of life.

It's boring, and it's stale, but it's better than going darkside where the worst things you do are take bribes and kill people that kind of deserve it. You mostly just take bribes though.

Anyway, I like my jedi, but it's hardly engrossing to just hit "1" every time I'm presented with a dialogue "option" and listen to the predictably boring response I give.

They sound weak.

I have no idea - not played any Imperial characters yet - but one of them said that some of the choices he made, just took him out of his comfort zone - He didn't go into what the quests were - wiping out a village maybe? I guess something like that.

Meh - I've always thought of myself as a good guy - as, I guess, the vast majority of the people on here do. In RP your character tends to be an extension of yourself - so, there you go.

Likewise I'd be unlikely to be playing an SS guard in some WWII RPG - whether he had a heart of gold or not.