Anyone elses Enthusiasm for gaming Tanked?

CKNORTH

mine has Completely tanked to a negative effect. To many Negative people, to much corporate greed. Half Baked games only to be full of bugs glitches never to get addressed. And above all Stale Gameplay to keep even the most easiest to please gamer happy. Loy this is getting to be tough, I have more challenge in the day trying to make up my mind what to play then actually playing any games....

Sad but true. Anyone else out there going through this??

Edited by CKNORTH

I get it from time to time. Take a break, play less, play something else, learn to play guitar, go out with friends, whatever.

The urge will come back.

Or it won't, because you discover that you prefer playing "Stairway to Heaven" to playing SWTOR.

Either way, you'll have refreshed your life.

I get it from time to time. Take a break, play less, play something else, learn to play guitar, go out with friends, whatever.

The urge will come back.

Or it won't, because you discover that you prefer playing "Stairway to Heaven" to playing SWTOR.

Either way, you'll have refreshed your life.

I wish it was that simple I am on the 99th break and still come back to find out I am still hella burnt out, don't got friends tone def so the guitar is out. and live an isolating life, been to everything I can possibly thing of to do "Something else" gaming is the one thing that is like positive therapy in my life. so without it I end up going even more crazy then I am already.

Multiple times, yes, and for similar reasons. Disappointing, rushed development and greed are the primary sources of my failing interest (overpriced games, everything is a "live service," nothing is finished anymore, everything is full of "we'll do it later" excuses). At times I've thought about quitting the hobby entirely.

Part of what keeps me interested is the development side of it. Modding existing games, or creating games of my own. I can make stuff that's simple and works, and has no obnoxious strings attached. It helps remind me that this hobby doesn't have to be a sea of expensive garbage.

One of the things that has helped here and there is expanding the range of games I've tried. I've had a tendency, historically, to get trapped in a small range/type of games and not go much beyond it. And it can make the state of video games as a hobby seem far smaller and garbage-ridden than it is. For example, I got a Tomb Raider game recently for cheap. Haven't gotten too far into it, but it's an interesting diversion sometimes that is off the beaten path of what I normally go for.

It can also help to go back in time a bit. Both for sales that allow you to purchase the whole package of a now-finished game (DLC and all) for cheap and for finding stuff that is just better designed. I got Civ 5 a couple years ago on a sale, the whole package, was my first Civ game, and I was really impressed with it. It's got a lot of depth and potential for mastering of little bits of strategy.

My enthusiasms for certain franchises have certainly tanked. However gaming as a whole? No, I'm actually trying to find a job so I can buy newer hardware to run some games that came out/are coming whose reviews were pretty positive, The Outerworlds seems decent, I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 when that comes out. Plus maybe play other sagas too like Dark Souls and maybe Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice, there are many great games for me to play so I'm not gonna lose my enthusiasm anytime soon.

tone def so the guitar is out

If you had said that about the violin, I'd accept it without a word, but guitars are usually fretted and will play the note you want, whether you can hear it accurately or not. You'll need to play like I do, learning from sheet music or tabs rather than trying to play a song you're listening to, but...

Tuning a guitar is easy, too. Get an electronic tuner and it will tell you how far and which way the string is off. The best ones can also be set to prefer "modern" tuning (A=440) or one of the older standards (example: A=442 or A=435).

Or play keyboards, or chromatic harmonicas, or ...

Or drums, where there's no pitch requirement at all.

Just picked up Pillars of The Earth on Steam for less than £7.

A traditional adventure game.

Only downside for me is the pacing is a little slow, everything else is 10/10.

It does seem if you want quality gaming these days you have to move away from MMO based games.

All The Best

I haven't played in a couple weeks. My sub runs out in less than a week so I probably will play over the weekend, make sure I've spent all the credits I need to before getting capped again. A lot of what I have to do in this game is housekeeping - bringing up all my chars from 70 to 75, and I usually don't do more than two/week.

As far as gaming in general, I have a lot of games from last year's steam summer sale that I haven't downloaded yet. None of them are MMOs so if I completely lose interest in this game for awhile I'll try one of those. I've been meaning to try Sunless Sea...

mine has Completely tanked to a negative effect. To many Negative people, to much corporate greed. Half Baked games only to be full of bugs glitches never to get addressed. And above all Stale Gameplay to keep even the most easiest to please gamer happy. Loy this is getting to be tough, I have more challenge in the day trying to make up my mind what to play then actually playing any games....

Sad but true. Anyone else out there going through this??

Oddly, I am in a similar boat. I bounce on and off SWTOR, and usually pick up other games when I am off SWTOR. Thing is, I have no new games now, no games to go to as a second string interest.

When 6.0 dropped, I was curious but didn't have a great drive to log in. I did though, and that's when I had tons of bugs ranging from some toons not being given access to Onslaught.

Now, I know they were bugged because NOW these characters all have the "start up" quest in log menu where I can instantly start Onslaught, whereas before I did not. So this made trying the new expansion impossible, well, at least trying to do it properly.

For 6.0, I was having to find work arounds to get to Onderon or Mek-Sha, and then I couldn't find the start up quests, so those toons just got stuck with no apparent way to start 6.0, although everyone kept telling me it was there, but it wasn't.

Next, I began having serious launcher problems.

For 4 weeks after 6.0 dropped, I kept having to re-install SWTOR just to get it to run properly with correct files patched in etc. Then SWTOR would release a new update, and somehow my files were corrupted again.

I blame Bitraider tbh but who knows for sure if that's what causes all the issues with BW's launcher, all I know is I was getting stuck "verifying" and the game would not patch or update/launch.

Finally (nearly 2 months after launch) the game seems to be steady and launches again, as it did for years before with no problem. By this point, I was far behind the eightball of gearing, I missed out on all the fun tricks people did to get gears and flip their amps on the vendor for free.

I did learn a lot though while not actively playing from the forums. I fully understood from reading what everyone else wrote about how to gear up, so at least I had the knowledge necessary to play and not have hiccups with gearing.

Great! I can finally log in with no launcher problems and I know what to do for gears! I can log in and run Red Reaper FPs over and over to gear up, preferably with a stealth class so I can avoid all the mobs and do it as fast as possible... Yes fun times!

Or, I can run my merc healer through, not stealthing by everything, but instead playing a toon I favor. But then that's not efficient... Ok nevermind that it's boring. I actually got so tired while doing Red Reaper I started to fall asleep so I camped and took a nap last night. :rolleyes:

I am at a point where I have no secondary MMOs like I used to, and now SWTOR has left me feeling uninspired to even log in. I can't explain it, I just have no inspiration to log in now!

I was playing GTN, and buying/selling, but all that does is let's me buy CM items I have not collected yet. What good are CM items though, if I don't feel like playing the actual game?

Anyway, I suspect some of this disinterest is me. I don't think the game has done anything so much as I just remember how the game used to be, and it's just not that game anymore. It used to reel me in, now, not so much. That's not to say the game is bad now, it's just different.

Newer players might actually find it enjoyable and fun, I think original chapters provide enough content to keep someone busy for a long time.

However for those of us that did the chapters on every class, or have no real interest in repeating story-mode stuff, well I should say for me, I just can't get into doing old stories or the new content the game has had added in it's twilight.

To answer the question, yes, my gaming has tanked but for me it's more complicated as to why I no longer find it fun to play SWTOR.

I have RL responsibilities that have become dominant in my life, that pulls me away a bit but honestly I do think if the game was enjoyable to me, I'd find time for it and now, it just isn't providing me with enough interest to keep me engaged.

P.S. I used to play EQ1 on an EMU server, but that got old with it being a locked prog server, I mean I played there on and off for the past 7-8 years lol. It's time for a new game to come out that's worth a ****.

Edited by Lhancelot

It does seem if you want quality gaming these days you have to move away from MMO based games.

This would explain why I never play new MMOs now. Every new MMO I pick up since SWTOR is a fail to me. I don't play solo PC games, only MMOs for the past 20 years or so lol.

In 2000, Everquest destroyed my solo gaming, once I found the excitement of PVP in a MMO environment I was hooked! The changing world, all the interaction with other players, and the PVP was fun. EQ1 no matter how basic and old the graphics are still to this day in it's Vanilla stages was the ultimate immersive game.

I have not found that since maybe WAR. I know, WAR was plagued with an awful start-up but that game turned it around only it did so too late and sunk from it's terrible launch and first 2 years of ironing out the problems. WAR kept me engaged and I enjoted the RVR battles, I even enjoyed leading WBs for the RVR battles so for me I loved WAR.

I believe Spuds is right though. MMOs are just garbage now. I wonder why?

Edited by Lhancelot

I Feel I need to update this a bit, when I wrote this I was coming back to the game from Everquest. The negativity there towards opening more servers that are locked to subscribers only plus an expansion on an almost 21 year old game ranging from $59USD - $139USD really put a damper on my mood towards gaming.

That was a bout a week or so ago. Now I have been Revitalized! The mount of people currently playing SWTOR on all hours of the day is incredible!! I haven't seen so many people playing this game in a very long time!! the numbers I am seeing on all maps not just starting worlds is enough to boost my spirit so much I am very excited to not only play and subscribe but think they finally found that balance of what people want, to what they can offer.

In Everquest pretty much all their progression servers are dead, one in particular Agnarr is locked at a specific expansion called planes of power. But instead of opening up dead progression servers to free players, the negative feed back that subscribers rule is a very outdated mindset. So Kudos to SWTOR for finally raising the bar, it might not be totally perfect for everyone but WOWzers!! it is so nice seeing a ton of people enjoying the game, Finally!! :D

This would explain why I never play new MMOs now. Every new MMO I pick up since SWTOR is a fail to me. I don't play solo PC games, only MMOs for the past 20 years or so lol.

Everquest destroyed my solo gaming, once I found the excitement of PVP in a MMO environment I was hooked! I believe Spuds is right, MMOs are just garbage now. I wonder why?

Haha pretty much feel the same way my friend! PvP in this game is amazing!! and very addicting too. Everquest, well I think it is mostly dead now aside from the 1 progression server and FV. The attitude is subscribe or begone. welp guess we all know what will happen to EQ LOL

Haha pretty much feel the same way my friend! PvP in this game is amazing!! and very addicting too. Everquest, well I think it is mostly dead now aside from the 1 progression server and FV. The attitude is subscribe or begone. welp guess we all know what will happen to EQ LOL

They have done a poor job on EQ1, Daybreak imo. I hate their updated graphics for old zones, they ruined the games original feel and art by "improving" the old dated graphics. The old dated graphics to this day shine above the newer made graphics for that game imo!

Also, it reminds me of WOW now, with all the automated features etc., the charm of EQ1 was how players relied on one another. Adding group finders and instant portals only made players become the anti-social troglodytes they are nowadays.

Used to be you needed to get across a continent, you had to find a wizard or a druid to get you there! That opened up relationships with people, how the world required that people interact to get things done.

No worries, there's tons of solo-friendly activities in EQ1, but, to really go far you need the help of others and that was something special about that game which we didn't know it at the time when EQ1 was newer.

So I aint surprised they trying to make even more money off EQ1. But that game has been changed so much it doesn't much resemble the original. EQ1 on p99 would be a far better representation of how the game once played.

Edited by Lhancelot

They have done a poor job on EQ1, Daybreak imo. I hate their updated graphics for old zones, they ruined the games original feel and art by "improving" the old dated graphics. The old dated graphics to this day shine above the newer made graphics for that game imo!

Also, it reminds me of WOW now, with all the automated features etc., the charm of EQ1 was how players relied on one another. Adding group finders and instant portals only made players become the anti-social troglodytes they are nowadays.

Used to be you needed to get across a continent, you had to find a wizard or a druid to get you there! That opened up relationships with people, how the world required that people interact to get things done.

No worries, there's tons of solo-friendly activities in EQ1, but, to really go far you need the help of others and that was something special about that game which we didn't know it at the time when EQ1 was newer.

So I aint surprised they trying to make even more money off EQ1. But that game has been changed so much it doesn't much resemble the original. EQ1 on p99 would be a far better representation of how the game once played.

For sure, but I just cant do that type of gaming anymore, for me the way SWTOR is you can be both casual play style or grit and hardcore. it is a nice feeling when everyone can find some type of style they like to play, and not so subject to like you said anti social outcomes the Dev's portal people into in EQ. Why I am very disappointed in the Agnarr server being dead. only server that could offer a group content setting.

For sure, but I just cant do that type of gaming anymore, for me the way SWTOR is you can be both casual play style or grit and hardcore. it is a nice feeling when everyone can find some type of style they like to play, and not so subject to like you said anti social outcomes the Dev's portal people into in EQ. Why I am very disappointed in the Agnarr server being dead. only server that could offer a group content setting.

That sucks when a game dies that you enjoy. WAR did that to me, too. I always liked to go back to WAR when other games got boring for me, so when they closed WAR down I was big time disappointed.

No game since has anything like that games RVR, and no game has any classes like WAR had. So I miss a lot of that game, the gameplay was really enjoyable to me.

You are going to feel sad for a bit with your favorite server shutting down etc., but in a couple weeks you will feel better. Who knows, maybe your brain subconsciously is telling you that it's time to dry out the brain and take a cyber-break.

I am far less synced into the internet now and that's allowed me to get a lot of things done irl though. Really my most active social media presence is right here on SWTOR forums. I don't use FB, IG, none of the social media platforms for social chatting etc.

I feel good for that, but sure miss having a game to log in and enjoy for a few hours here and there.

Edited by Lhancelot

That sucks when a game dies that you enjoy. WAR did that to me, too. I always liked to go back to WAR when other games got boring for me, so when they closed WAR down I was big time disappointed.

No game since has anything like that games RVR, and no game has any classes like WAR had. So I miss a lot of that game, the gameplay was really enjoyable to me.

You are going to feel sad for a bit with your favorite server shutting down etc., but in a couple weeks you will feel better. Who knows, maybe your brain subconsciously is telling you that it's time to dry out the brain and take a cyber-break.

I am far less synced into the internet now and that's allowed me to get a lot of things done irl though. Really my most active social media presence is right here on SWTOR forums. I don't use FB, IG, none of the social media platforms for social chatting etc.

I feel good for that, but sure miss having a game to log in and enjoy for a few hours here and there.

You do know that the original DAoC creator is trying to lift another game like it and war off the ground right? http://www.camelotunchained.com you might find it interesting. personally though I bought into it, then backed out due to the time they have been working on the game, there is a big chance it might not make it out the gate due to them taking to long and lack of interest. but you never know, I haven't kept up with how they are doing for a while now. The way I feel currently I am 100% here in this game. so long as they keep making good decisions and keep the servers Active! :)

Edited by CKNORTH

You do know that the original DAoC creator is trying to lift another game like it and war off the ground right? http://www.camelotunchained.com you might find it interesting. personally though I bought into it, then backed out due to the time they have been working on the game, there is a big chance it might not make it out the gate due to them taking to long and lack of interest. but you never know, I haven't kept up with how they are doing for a while now. The way I feel currently I am 100% here in this game. so long as they keep making good decisions and keep the servers Active! :)

I do!

I been watching it as they develop it. I'd say Pantheon has a better chance of making it out the gates and actually succeeding though.

I'd like the Camelot guys to succeed, don't get me wrong. It just seems like they are having a harder time getting it done. It's definitely taking them a lot longer than they intended and everyone expected.

Pantheon has shown proven development work so far. It's hard to believe, I mean Pantheon because McQuaid is involved and we know how mercurial and crazy he gets sometimes, not following through with promises etc. But it seems since EverQuest Next got scrapped, McQuaid poured himself into pantheon with a lot of support, too.

Both games show promise, and I hope they both succeed. I actually never got to play DaoC! I was on EQ2 then WAR after that, so I missed out on the RvR stuff DaoC introduced to the MMO world.

I did get to play WAR though, which was initially going to be the spiritual successor of DaoC but there were far too many differences for it to ever be that once it got developed and finished.

Unlike WAR, Camelot Unchained is supposed to be a true spiritual successor of DaoC. Just like Pantheon is supposed to be the real spiritual successor of EQ1 vanilla. Pantheon is supposed to bring back some of the hardships of EQ1 along with all the necessary coexistence players needed on EQ1 to raid, etc.

I really hope these two games bring back more challenge. I am tired and bored of instant-everything. People are so lazy nowadays that they even need everything spoon fed to them on games! How is this fun?

I'd be fine with group finder going away. I'd be fine with mobs and basic encounters being challenging. I'd like to need the services of other players for crafts or services only they can provide! I would love to see dynamic classes that can CC strongly and that's their role. I miss CC classes!

It sucks when all we got is healer, tank, dps on SWTOR and as time goes on they are getting more and more similar thanks to ridiculous DCDs making some dps self sufficient not even needing heals for most encounters. I like games that have active taunting against player characters, like EQ2 did and WAR.

When PVP tanks can taunt you off teammates and are capable of taking/absorbing tons of damage even though they do very little output it adds a whole other dynamic to the battle! So does having different classes that can influence a fight just with CC like Enchanters do on EQ1 and EQ2.

My point is I feel like a lot of really awesome PVP combat features have been forgotten and discarded over the years in favor of appeasing everyone and giving everyone everything instead of actually having very unique abilities that are only given to one specific class.

I actually view the above as a reflection of us as people, tbh. As our technologies have made everything more convenient, it seems we have come to expect our games to do the same, make everything equal and "fair" and taking away individual specialties so that no one class can have advantages.

By limiting combat and making it more simplistic gaming studios have only made combat on MMOs less fun and classes tend to be less flavorful. And the attempt to make fights "fair" by removing mechanics like strong CC abilities etc. still failed at making fights more "fair" because we still end up with maul-spamming sins, blazing bolts spamming mercs, and stealths that will always enjoy advantages in PVP that other classes do not have.

Oh! I got to add this. I get your point, about wanting casual stuff to do. The thing is, a game can be challenging, and you can still play casually it just takes longer to advance and get "stuff." However, I always found on games like this that even if i don't get the BiS stuff, the things i do get I really feel a sense of fulfillment getting it. That's what this game and most others lack, you just don't get a sense of real fulfillment from any accomplishments in this game. At elast I don't, not like past MMOs.

Edited by Lhancelot

I thought Pantheon is dead in the water because McQuade passed away??

Wow. I either did not hear about him dying, or somehow I completely forgot this! That makes me sad.

Well, the show goes on though.

According to Wiki, Pantheon is still in the final phases of completion just held back from the original launch date because they want to make the game as polished as possible before releasing it.

Wow. I either did not hear about him dying, or somehow I completely forgot this! That makes me sad.

Well, the show goes on though.

According to Wiki, Pantheon is still in the final phases of completion just held back from the original launch date because they want to make the game as polished as possible before releasing it.

Yeah very sad news, ill be here most likely I don't think pantheon is my thing, and can only afford so many games lol

I believe Spuds is right though. MMOs are just garbage now. I wonder why?

Because they have moved away from selling and supporting a "finished product" to the BS "game as a service" model that allows them to throw out any old garbage, and charge us again for the luxury of getting it fixed.

Nickel and diming us through gambling boxes and the in-game store is more important that putting out a coherent story, backed up with balanced gameplay and PvP.

Look at the HK chapter, had to be subbed for a prolonged period just to get a "chapter" that barely took 20 mins to play. We probably paid 3 or 4 times what a new solo game would cost, for less than a hour's content.

When did this become acceptable? Why did WE let it become acceptable.

We also need more rulings like Australia's ruling on Fallout 76.

When game companies sell us a product it needs to be fit for purpose, or we get out money back.

If after a "patch" or an expansion the game is broken then it is no longer "fit for purpose" and we should be refunded the Month's Sub fees until it is fixed.

I can think of no other business sector where a company would be allowed to charge for NOT providing the service they are charging for.

All The Best

• 1 month later...

for MMOs, absolutely, i still play this, and sometimes WoW or SWL every 6 months or so for a few days

for other games, well, it depends, there are only a handful of games I really look forward to, Cyberpunk 2077, the next Dragon Age, and I am sort of looking at Outer Worlds...... other than that, maybe the next GTA, but I dont have as much time as I used to, and i get bored in games fairly easily now unless it has a really compelling story

Me :) The last time I played this game was taking my second character through Onslaught. The S.I. I did "Take Back" my Council Seat but then Acina called that trivial (or something like that) then I came to the realization no matter what our characters did atleast that one came back as a "Faction Lackey" as many feared would happen and spoke up to avoid. Noticing both of the characters I took through came out with Quite a Bit "Fewer Credits" then they went in with, those two Plus this RNG and other gearing issues, same SWTOR issues I just cant get excited these days to actually go out of the StrongHold(s) and play. So.. I wander around for other games again.

P.S. I was really excited for 6.0, more then others for a long time now.