Additional Companions Suggestion

Paulsutherland

G'day folks.

A couple of guildies and I were talking about NPCs we would have preferred to have seen introduced as companions, and in short ... what do you think about this? :)

What about a system that rewards the players with companions for completing the expansions, PvP, planet missions and or class missions, (1) which could be unlocked for completing certain requirements for different companions. Then once the requirement for unlocking a companion has been achieved the player could then access the companion they've been working to obtain from the console on Odessen. (Edit: Or perhaps from a new console on our ships should the player reach the requirement to unlock a companion before reaching chapter 9 of KOTFE?)

(Perhaps for an account unlock of 'X' companion it would cost either credits or cartel coins? Similiar to the other items in your collections.)

(1) E.G.

Baron Deathmark: Complete # PvP matches.

Sergeant Jaxo: Complete the Trooper story.

Lord Cytharat: Complete 'Rise of the Hutt Cartel' on an Imperial Character.

Thana Vesh: Complete the Imperial Taris planetary mission.

Kai Zykken: Complete 'Shadow of Revan' as a Smuggler character.

Vaylin: Complete the expansion 'Knights of the Eternal Throne'.

Story:

I don't see it being an issue for those that aren't planned on returning. When claiming 'X' companion the message about them not being vital to the story could be displayed advising the player that 'X' isn't connected the main story, similar to when companions that died during KOTFE/ET are reclaimed.

Dialogue:

I'm unsure on this one, some of the characters chosen (See below) are more chatty than others, perhaps some of their dialogue from their appearances in the game could be turned into witty remarks when summoned, attacked, healing, dismissed etc.

Companion management:

I've already got forty-two companions, if a system like this were introduced, it would make that list of companions even longer. Would it be possible to add a 'favorite companions' tab to the top of the contacts list where we can summon our preferred companions with ease?

Characters

There was a thread awhile ago created by someone (can't remember who started it - sorry.) asking who we would have preferred to have seen as companions, think I've got some of them in the list below.

(Note: I picked these characters at random as examples, I don't recall some of the class stories that well, so if you have any other suggestion, please spam away and I'll add them to the list when I see them.)

Jedi Knight

- Bela Kiwiiks

- Praven

- Watcher One

Jedi Consular

- Gaden-Ko

Smuggler

- Nariel Pridence

- Vaverone Zare

- Skavak

Trooper

- Ava Jaxo

- Jonas Balker

Sith Warrior

- Lord Rathari

- Cellvanta Grathan

- Darth Vowrawn

Sith Inquisitor

- Darth Achelon

- Harkun

Agent

- Shara Jenn (Watcher Two)

- Ki Sazen

- Ona Querit (The Menace)

- Sanju Pyne

- Darth Zhorrid

Bounty Hunter

- Coral

Taris (Empire)

- Thana Vesh

PvP

- Baron Deathmark

GSF (Galactic Star Fighter)

- Salana Rok

- Kendra Novar

Corellia

- Darth Decimus

Ilum

- Darth Malgus

Rise of the Hutt Cartel

- Lemda Avesta

- Lord Cytharat

Shadow of Revan

- Revan

- Jakarro

- Kai Zykken

- HK-47

- Satele Shan

Ziost

- Master Surro

Knigths of the Fallen Empire

- Tora

- GEMINI Prime

- Tai Cordan

- Malita Tal

- Admiral Zasha Ranken

Knights of the Eternal Throne

- Vaylin

- Indo Zal

A Traitor Among the Chiss

- Valss

While on the subject of companions, could the original story companions (Ashara, Risha, Scourge, Kira etc.) be added to the companion terminal too for the other classes to access once their Alliance Alert missions have been completed by their class? (I.E. Risha - Smuggler)

By Zildrog's grace, If you made it this far, then the Order of Zildrog would like to thank you for your time and patience.

Remember, Zildrog loves you all!

Edit: My bad, I put it in the wrong area. Mr. Mod ... if you want to move it into the suggestion box, go ahead.

Edited by Paulsutherland

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last thing we need is more companions. That being said, there's several listed I'd still want (Jaxo, Vaylin, Tora, Indo), and you're suggesting them as optional and manageable. More options is a good thing.

Avesta, now there's someone I forgot about, I remember romancing her on my Knight back when Makeb first came out. I wouldn't mind seeing her come back.

I do want what was suggested as companion management, that would help me traverse through that list greatly.

What about that Chiss from the Copero flashpoint? He was unique.

Edited by DefenderTwo

There are several of those I'd take in a heartbeat (Jaxo, Vaylin (obviously)), and I love the idea of being able to have a Favorites list, especially if it helped with companion missions. I mean, I will always regret that we can't have All The Stories, but it gives us more ability to write our own if we are inclined. I would love that. Edited by gamephil

I will pay any amount of credits or Cartel Coins to get Ava Jaxo as my Trooper's companion. She saved her best friend's life, and Jaxo would have been a perfect addition to Havoc Squad.

No she wouldn't.

She begs you to save her life over the lives of 300 other people and if you do she has a mental breakdown and leaves the military.

To the suggestion of some, I would make the requirements more stringent. Not just the completion of various quests, but due to player choice some of those NPCs could be dead. If someone wants them as a companion then not only should they have to complete those various quests but they should also have to make the choices that means those NPCs live. So, you want Cytharat as a companion? Comlpete Makeb and don't leave him to die. You want Thana Vesh? Complete Taris and don't kill her. And I'm sorry this means you would never have Vaylin because she dies regardless.

No she wouldn't.

She begs you to save her life over the lives of 300 other people and if you do she has a mental breakdown and leaves the military.

To the suggestion of some, I would make the requirements more stringent. Not just the completion of various quests, but due to player choice some of those NPCs could be dead. If someone wants them as a companion then not only should they have to complete those various quests but they should also have to make the choices that means those NPCs live. So, you want Cytharat as a companion? Comlpete Makeb and don't leave him to die. You want Thana Vesh? Complete Taris and don't kill her. And I'm sorry this means you would never have Vaylin because she dies regardless.

Fair enough for the ones that have the option, but as I said, story is irrelevant here. This would be for incentive and maybe some fun to get people to play 'X' regardless of the outcome. Hell if they want me to play KOTET on master to get Vaylin, I'll do it! :D I won't necessary be happy about the repair bills I'll end up with, but I'll do it!

-----

Added Valss

Added: Jonas Balker

Added: Praven

Edited by Paulsutherland

No she wouldn't.

I espouse to the M1-4X attitude about that moment. The value of ONE special forces operative is greater than the value of 300 generic nobodies. It costs more to the Republic to train one Ava Jaxo than it does to get 300 grunts. You may have this altruistic 'the needs of the many' attitude, but for a real soldier, there was only one choice. The entire Republic is counting on us, and Jaxo was worth more than all those other soldiers.

Wah. Wah. But she quits.

Exactly. Because her superiors tried to throw her away. To sacrifice her over an objective that was not worth her life. The same way they abandoned Tavus and the previous Havoc Squad on Ando Prime. The same way they sacrificed thousands of Republic Soldiers, including the Deadeyes, by trying to intentionally seed prisoners into the Empire. The same way they abandoned me when I was frozen by Valkorian. The same way they tried to have me assassinated and replaced with Sarresh.

Let's look at the past four Commanders of Havoc Squad.

- Harron Tavus: abandoned and left to die by command in order to deny their own orders, he decided that he would no longer follow Garza or the Republic politicians.

- The Trooper: Realized Garza was entirely corrupt and dissolved all ties with command, even before they abandoned the Trooper and left him/her for dead.

- Elara Dorne: Demoted and reassigned out of field command due to politics. Not permitted to remain in the Squad she had been leading because of politicians who thought that having an Imperial Defector in a position of authority 'looked bad'.

- Aric Jorgan: Took the entire new Havoc Squad AWOL, turning his back on the Republic Command due to their repeated political BS resulting in them needlessly sacrificing the people who were doing the most for the Galaxy. Lead Havoc onto Zakuul contrary to Republic orders, and subsequently quits the Republic in order to join the Alliance.

Now let's look at Ava Jaxo. An incredibly gifted Special Forces agent who successfully infiltrates the Empire's most secure prison and shares vital secrets with the Republic that allow us to turn the tide of the war. Jaxo was then ordered to be sacrificed by command, in order to save 300 enlisted men, the total value, experience, and training of which if all of them were combined was still less than the training, experience and value of just one single Special Forces operative (like Jaxo). After being saved by the Trooper, and then having the Trooper be disciplined for being the only one to stand up and make the responsible and difficult decision, Jaxo realizes that, like pretty much EVERY other Special Forces Operative, he was burdened by horrible command personnel and handcuffed by politicians in a way that prevents her from being able to do her job. So yes, she loses faith in the people who did everything in their power to ensure that they could not be trusted, and she leaves the Republic Military.

Just like EVERY OTHER MEMBER OF HAVOC SQUAD.

So remind me again, what about this means she isn't fit for Havoc Squad? Because she likes to tie on a drink after a stressful mission? Even Dorne got plowed after we killed Rakton. Because she doesn't want to tolerate corrupt politicians ruining every Special Forces Op? Neither do any of the rest of us.

A huge part of the Trooper story is ultimately learning that you cannot trust command, and essentially going AWOL to save the galaxy without reporting to these morons. And I think Ava Jaxo is going to fit in great with the rest of Havoc.

Jaxo does apply for a psychological dismissal from the Republic Army but what happens after that is anyone's guess.

I made this thread for some fun :) We've all got our favorites and our own headcanons for how and why it could work. So let's just leave it at that and let cooler heads prevail. :)

( Unless it's Darth Ravage, he thinks I'm not good enough for the Dark Council?! ... I hate him! :mad: )

I would much prefer to not tie the use of this to whether the character lived. It already isn't, so I see no reason for it to happen if they expand it in this way. Especially with Vaylin. Edited by gamephil

Story should always be relevant in a story driven game and honestly that's what SWTOR is, even given the dearth of story we've been given lately. I mean, this is why people who kill Arcann and Senya don't get them as companions, right? Yes, I know the companion terminal, but that was a compromise for people who had raised the affection/influence on certain companions and weren't expecting to have them removed. Personally I dislike the idea of the companion terminal and won't use it but I understand the reasons for it. But then, people who kill Arcann and Senya can't get them from the terminal, right?

And, sorry about that Paul, I didn't mean to get that other guy all het up about Jaxo. I don't even dislike that character (played female troopers and always had a vague affection for Jaxo) and I felt that entire story felt forced simply for "teh dramas".

If someone wants Vaylin as a companion, knock yourself out. I'll pass, thanks.

However...

*Watcher One (Jedi Knight storyline) is someone I'd like to have along.

*Ki Sazen (Agent storyline) would be fun, and she's got way more personality than most.

*Celvanta Grathan (Warrior storyline) would be amusing.

*Some of Vette's twi'lek friends/relatives would make good tag-alongs.

*"The Menace" (Agent storyline) would...

...let non-Warriors get a Jaesa Willsam look-alike.

Lots of interesting possibilities.

But then, people who kill Arcann and Senya can't get them from the terminal, right?

And, sorry about that Paul, I didn't mean to get that other guy all het up about Jaxo. I don't even dislike that character (played female troopers and always had a vague affection for Jaxo) and I felt that entire story felt forced simply for "teh dramas".

You can with Senya, never got far enough into the DS plot to find out if you can or not with Arcann.

Don't worry about it, opinions from both sides are welcome. :)

Busy at the moment, I'll update the list in a moment.

Story should always be relevant in a story driven game and honestly that's what SWTOR is, even given the dearth of story we've been given lately. .

The story that they want to tell has not been relevant to me since KotET ended. I'd simply like the tools to be able to tell my own at this point. This is why I like the idea that Paul has presented, as he has presented it.

Edited by gamephil

Going to link from other sources. Did you mention that the Favorites would also affect companion missions? Have a setting for only a chosen eight characters show up on that list, for example. I may have missed it. Edited by gamephil

Sanju Pyne from the IA story on Balmorra. Always wished he had tagged along and we could train him up as a better Agent so then we could have had both him and Temple as our trainee's, he could have been a LI to. ;)

Also all my +1's to Lord Cytharat and Jonas would love to see them again.

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

Added: Watcher One, Malgus, Ona Querit (The Menace) & Sanju Pyne.

(I don't know the names of Vette's friends ... were they the ones from her loyalty mission?)

Going to link from other sources. Did you mention that the Favorites would also affect companion missions? Have a setting for only a chosen eight characters show up on that list, for example. I may have missed it.

I'm not sure what you mean? effect it how?

I'm not sure what you mean? effect it how?

By only listing the preferred crafters, especially when using the drop down list. Make it easier to send out just the characters we want to send, so we don't have to scroll down the thing to find them.

By only listing the preferred crafters, especially when using the drop down list. Make it easier to send out just the characters we want to send, so we don't have to scroll down the thing to find them.

I meant this one - sorry. The 'Companion & Contacts' list. A new tab say at the top between 'Followers' and 'Main Characters' in which we can dump the companions we want, or the ones with the top influence levels? Your 'Loyal Followers' ? ;)

The crafting one lists them by their affection level, so presumable your desired companions would already be at the top.

Edited by Paulsutherland

That list is getting long, I don't see Bioware adding them all, how would they make money from this?

Considering they have the models for the characters in question already, and it would take little effort to actually make them into Companions, it would be a simple matter to designate certain companions for acquisition in-game to all subscribers (be subscribed by June 15th, get Lord Cytherat, then be subscribed by October 1st, get Ava Jaxo, and so on), and then place certain others for sale on the Cartel Market (the way they have a couple of quadrupedal companions there already, along with Treek).

There are ways for them to make a pile of money with new companions if they play their cards right. The question is: Will they?

That list is getting long, I don't see Bioware adding them all, how would they make money from this?

I wouldn't expect them to add everyone on that list. It would be interesting, though.

As for money, I think it would depend on whether or not the incentive would get people playing more. Also, it could be subscription only. I know that I haven't bothered to drag myself through several of these (or not done them again), but I would do so for at least a few of these as companions. Marr and Acina are pretty much complete, so wouldn't even be difficult (I think).

Edited by gamephil