Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

252 gear and bolster

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
252 gear and bolster

ferreyrolajedi
01.10.2019 , 04:38 PM | #1
I put 2 pices of 252 gear (ear and a relic) with the same augments that i had on my 248 and i have less hp on wz. Wonder why?!
Any inputs or thoughts?

Rion_Starkiller
01.10.2019 , 05:06 PM | #2
Typically bolster gives more Mastery and Endurance than non-bolstered 252's. Your 252 should have more Power/Crit/Alacrity than the bolstered versions.

None of that is certain though, so have a look at your gear again and compare numbers, then tell us. We are all very curious now with 5.10 and new gear.
Beruhl / Zenovia / Lobotomy / Sejanos / Warpunk
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

Seterade
01.10.2019 , 05:19 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Typically bolster gives more Mastery and Endurance than non-bolstered 252's. Your 252 should have more Power/Crit/Alacrity than the bolstered versions.

None of that is certain though, so have a look at your gear again and compare numbers, then tell us. We are all very curious now with 5.10 and new gear.
this is correct, its a concept throw back to the gearing of old that was never changed. the theory behind bolster is you are given free bare minimum stats. back in 3.0 days vendor gear was cheap and affordable with comms, however it was inferior to actual operation reward gear in that it was high endurance at the expense of more damage stats. ala/pow and crit. this wasnt the case with vendor expertise gear, but it did apply to bolster if you werent wearing exp gear. whether it applied to exp is a moot point in 5.x tho, since its all pve bolster now.
Bring back expertise 6.0

TrixxieTriss
01.10.2019 , 11:20 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post

This has always been the case with Bolster. But if you go past “bolsters” prerequisites for how many stats you should have for 252, it will decrease some others like Accuracy, crit or alacrity.

I always uses Icykills rule of thumb (from when she use to play and test this stuff). There is always a sweet spot and it usually means having all your gear at exaclty the same gear lvl. Of course that’s the simplest way to do it if you can’t be bothered investigating more.

You can also spend hours and credits toying around with removing and adding items of different lvls at the fleet Bolster station till you get it exaclty right.

At the moment with 252 set gear not stacking with lower gear, I would suggest waiting till you have a completely full set of 252 gear before even equipping any of it.

Lastly, Augments Bolster to 236 lvl, so if you are using 240 Augments you may push your over all stats close to 252 (if you add 252 gear) and that can have weird consequences to all of your stats. Bolster doesn’t like trying to work out the intricacies of multiple gear lvls together. It’s less than perfect and that is why you will get weird results.

Best advice is to use all 248 with 236 Augments to min max. Don’t even bother with equipping 252 items at all. Wait till you can get mostly 258 gear before equipping.

ferreyrolajedi
01.11.2019 , 06:12 AM | #5
Thx guys, ill get back to 248 with 236 augments and wait it out.

ferreyrolajedi
01.11.2019 , 07:55 AM | #6
It seams that 248 gear with 240 augments is still what bolster better.

Loki_
01.11.2019 , 11:12 AM | #7
A full 252 set / 240 aug With crit boot enh and crit glove enh from a healer set has the same overall bonus dmg give or take a few points as 248 / 240 aug set with very similar crit alac stats

The difference is that the 248 set gets bolstered a lot more hp around 2.5k - 3k more hp

It’s not the first time they messed up bolster with new tier gear and won’t be the last.

Short story, wait for 258 piece before upgrading if you only pvp as they are the only pieces stronger than bolster