Cybertech: Why do you need Slicing?

zippermikey

I amy trying to decide on my crew skills. I decided to go with Cybertech. However, I am running into an issue. According to the Codex, you need Scavenging. However you also need Underworld Trading. So here is your 3 Cres Skills already taken up. Then i was reading about Slicing and it says something about Cybertech needing it as well for schematics. So how will that work? You need 4 crew skills and the game only gives you room for 3.

Is Slicing any good for downloading enemy information?

Thanks

That is completely NOT how this mechanic works. Slicing is a gathering skill, just like all the others. Instead of picking up metal from piles of junk like scavenging, there are little safes scattered around the map that you can hack into. There will almost always be credits inside, I never came across anything but when I was in beta.

I really like being able to hunt for "treasure" (not treasure-hunt) while im on missions, but I feel like I would be handicapping myself in terms of crafting by picking slicing instead of scavenging for Cybertech.

I took Cyber/Scavenger/Slice on my Marauder in the beta test weekends. I plan/Hope to do the same tomorrow (nov 24 so fingers are crossed). In the beta weekends unlike what else has been reported I got a ton of schematics. This combo let me get a ton of stuff off the landscape, and build/grind cyber pretty well at the same time.

Buy what underworld metals I need, or trade for them. Also have friend who is going synthweaving who will have underworld.

I took Cyber/Scavenger/Slice on my Marauder in the beta test weekends. I plan/Hope to do the same tomorrow (nov 24 so fingers are crossed). In the beta weekends unlike what else has been reported I got a ton of schematics. This combo let me get a ton of stuff off the landscape, and build/grind cyber pretty well at the same time.

Buy what underworld metals I need, or trade for them. Also have friend who is going synthweaving who will have underworld.

I know Beta is a different story, but did you find that there was plenty of mats from UT you needed on the market and at a decent price?

Just in leveling slicing to level 50, I got a Cybertech schematic for ship guns and 2 missions for scavenging and slicing.

That is a pretty good drop rate so far I think. It may be because I am using Mako and gets +15 to slicing. I know that lowers the mission times, but I don't know if that impacts the luck of the draw in what she brings back.

I know Beta is a different story, but did you find that there was plenty of mats from UT you needed on the market and at a decent price?

Not really but that was beta. No clue how it will shake out live, which is why I am coordinating with r/l friend and fellow players to align our crewskills for max effect.

I am sure there will be materials trade, the unanswered ? is how spensive will be be lucy?

Thats right , sometimes you just dont have enough professions for everything...there is a reason for this, ITS AN MMO, they sort of want you to depend on others a little sometimes.

SO get some friends to play with who can make up for your shortcomings, its way more fun.