A Dark/Light vs Good/Evil Discussion

Tadshackles

I find this point interesting. I suppose it's why I'm so uneasy with playing an all lightside jedi - it makes me feel like my character is dead inside. But that happens no matter what I play if all I'm doing is picking blue or red and never really thinking about the implications.

Ps I'm still really enjoying my 2/3 light 1/3 dark jk. I'm not even sure I could go back to playing all one way or the other. Trying to stay completely neutral is kind of fun too in a different way though (even if it's out of place in Star Wars).

Try playing a SW up completely light side. Makes for some interesting developments that you could never see while playing dark side.

Except thats not what you are doing??? You are not directly stopping his plans to have the republic ally with the empire. The quest dialog says you are obtaining proof of his intentions only so you can reveal them to the public that elected him. Its up to the public that he is supose to be representing to stop him.

Unless they re-word the quest, it makes absolutely no sense for that choice to be darkside.

I agree, which is the main reason all my Reppy toons have at least some DS points.

Sometimes, the choices for ls/ds are wacked and out of order. But that is my opinion - I live in the sense that the needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one - heard of ti? :p But in one mission that sticks to me clearly, is one where i can either save one scientist, or the data she has next to her - the data is medical information that can cure millions if not more. LS point for saving the girl, DS points for the data. uhn?

Another one that comes to mind - you can bribe a guy using his family as leverage - or force persuade him. both kinda seemed ds to me. Use a guys family as a means or tamper with his mind?

Sometimes, the choices for ls/ds are wacked and out of order. But that is my opinion - I live in the sense that the needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one - heard of ti? :p But in one mission that sticks to me clearly, is one where i can either save one scientist, or the data she has next to her - the data is medical information that can cure millions if not more. LS point for saving the girl, DS points for the data. uhn?

Another one that comes to mind - you can bribe a guy using his family as leverage - or force persuade him. both kinda seemed ds to me. Use a guys family as a means or tamper with his mind?

Yes indeed, Mr. Spock. :D

I can't see this at all - dark side says be rational and light side says follow the emotion? Isn't it the exact opposite over in Jedi territory?

Yeah, someone mentioned 'too many cooks in the kitchen' and it shows. Some of the quests are written with "warm and fuzzies" LS in mind -- Light Side doesn't hurt peoples' feelings and saves whoever happens to be in eyesight at the moment, rather than thinking long term or living by a particular code. Others are "deontological" (codified ethics) LS, where you tell the truth no matter what and always uphold law and reason. And still others are "Jedi" LS, where the ultimate goal is peace and the least violent solution is 'right,' regardless of what it might entail (letting someone else kill people, or mind-controlling someone into helping you).

Of the three, the Jedi of the movies and often in the books were closest to the second and third. The heroic Jedi -- main characters -- felt compassion, but indulging it often tempted them towards the dark side (compassion for others turned into anger at injustice). With that in mind, the 'warm and fuzzies' answers should very often be neutral or DS, but make us, personally, feel good for choosing them (until they come back to bite us in the rear later. ;)).

And that's something else that bothers me. Thus far I have never once felt like there were consequences for choosing compassion and heroics over long-term planning. At least as a Trooper, General Garza is perpetually pissed off at me for playing the big damn hero (which I'd do regardless of whether it was LS or DS). But since she apparently has absolutely no ability to actually punish me, I can't see why it matters...

Edited by noneuklid