January Livestream Plans

EricMusco

Oh wow. "For solo players who want a real challenge, try master mode chapters."

Except there's no viable solo route to getting the necessary Tier 3 gear. So, hunh? Do you guys ever ride your trains of thought to the final destination?

"You still get the opportunity to get the gear, but you have to play more of the game."

Right-- clueless as ever. You think solo players want this garbage grind, or consider it an "opportunity?" We're just as burned out as the rest of the player base. Maybe more so, since nothing we do nets any real progress. My smuggy ticked level 23 last night. That's it. I've disintegrated half of her boxes. It's not fun. At all.

It's a shame there's nothing better out there in gameland right now. I know-- I tried everything. WOW, FF 14, you name it. I wish I had the oomph to have made my unsubbing stick, but the lack of stuff I want to play these days is a giant bummer.

Edited by JainiaDral

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fun for solo players, the game has been engineered with solo story, and now players are expected to group up to get gear rather than grind CXP or PvP. Many solo players won't join pug ops groups for fear of gear drops being ninja'd by the ops leader. I know I certainly won't take the risk unless something is done to guarantee a fair chance to all involved.

Random thought I had when they were rehashing the upcoming gearing change: Add unassembled components into flashpoints / uprisings and maybe even some solo content as well. (Being careful about the number and trying to match (or hit a target just slightly slower than) the pace of earning the components from warzones, of course.)

It wouldn't nullify ops as a fast-tracked option since it's only for the components, not a full unassembled piece. The solo and non-ops group PVE content would fit in as a slower grind just the same as PVP will.

Not fun for solo players, the game has been engineered with solo story, and now players are expected to group up to get gear rather than grind CXP or PvP. Many solo players won't join pug ops groups for fear of gear drops being ninja'd by the ops leader. I know I certainly won't take the risk unless something is done to guarantee a fair chance to all involved.

TLDR PvP is Solo play :rak_02:

Regardless you still get gear from crates just in addition Bosses can have tokens that combined with tokens from GC make a piece. PvP gets components as well. It's a turd on a stick but it's the first thing we raiders have gotten in more than 2 years. Don't deny us this turd. :p

Edited by FerkWork

Oh wow. "For solo players who want a real challenge, try master mode chapters."

Except there's no viable solo route to getting the necessary Tier 3 gear. So, hunh? Do you guys ever ride your trains of thought to the final destination?

Quoted for truth, as it stands solo players wanting to do the harder chapter modes cannot really gain the gear they need to do this as they are stuck waiting for the random goddess to grace them the gear required, under the exact same system that so many have complained about but Bioware have only attempted to fix it for raiders and PvP players.

I wonder if they have made a massive and flawed assumption that solo players = easy mode only and group players = hard modes as this would be wrong as solo players may want a challenge without going to group content as for example they might have a family and cannot (or will not out of respect if they have to go afk etc) devote the amount of time required for a operation or wish to stay out of warzone's as sometimes they can be a little toxic.

Quoted for truth, as it stands solo players wanting to do the harder chapter modes cannot really gain the gear they need to do this as they are stuck waiting for the random goddess to grace them the gear required, under the exact same system that so many have complained about but Bioware have only attempted to fix it for raiders and PvP players.

I wonder if they have made a massive and flawed assumption that solo players = easy mode only and group players = hard modes as this would be wrong as solo players may want a challenge without going to group content as for example they might have a family and cannot (or will not out of respect if they have to go afk etc) devote the amount of time required for a operation or wish to stay out of warzone's as sometimes they can be a little toxic.

They've made a lot of invalid assumptions, rather than asking the players what they would prefer. Personally, I tend to prefer "easy mode," but within that, I like to improve. So, I'd love to try Veteran chapters, but only if I could get the equivalent of what used to be third tier crystal/comms gear. Basically to get better along a slower and less painful learning curve without social pressure. I played ME and ME2 into oblivion, and improved enough by iteration to make it through Hard difficulty (one below max). I'm a big proponent of the three O's: overthinking, over-research, and over-preparation to compensate for my personal lack of reflexes and on-your-feet thinking.

Other solo players like major challenges. I've seen quite a few post here. Others like pure easy mode. We're just as different as more social players.

Unfortunately, Bioware doesn't even see us as stereotypical profiles. We're their lab rats, running through their uniform maze, shaping ourselves to accommodate their one-size-fits-none endgame solution. Instead, we should all have options to personalize our gameplay. Raiders should be able to raid at their desired levels. PVPers should be able to PVP. Solo players should be able to tackle whatever content they desire however they choose to do so.

Personally, I'd take a pay-to-win system over endless grindy RNG. At least then, gear wouldn't be an obstacle to playing the game the way I want. I'm probably alone in this opinion, but whatever :rak_01: Gearing isn't fun. Playing the game is.

swtor is the only active star wars mmo on the market. The fact that you are more likely to see a carrie fisher tribute in wow or sto - and now elite dangerous, is symptomatic of a much larger problem at bwa. It speaks to a disconnect between the playerbase and the devs.

In the grand scheme of things, you're right, it's not that big of a deal. And this community has already taken care of the tributes on alderaan. But it's a snapshot of how bioware seems to not care about the community and has an overall lack of enthusiasm for the game or being part of the star wars family, even if it's not canon. It still carries the star wars name.

It's just tacky.

well

freaking

said

Please answer this one question:

Why was there no statement regarding Carrie Fishers death by Bioware/EA the makers of this game when other game entities who have nothing to do with Star Wars did so?

Because there probably making her into a decoration with a 00000.1% chance lockbox drop.

I suspect the problem is that the team is in a corner now. They probably aren't in a position to make player requests as profitable as their targets demand, but they will lose customers outright if they ignore those requests. Whales are probably what's keeping things going and they need to keep them playing for as long as possible. However, this looks like it's just delaying a crash.

I think players would be more understanding if there was more transparency and honesty about bad and questionable judgement calls. Everyone makes mistakes, but trying to pretend you don't will make people less forgiving about it.

While I won't take a hard stance and say Ben needs to be fired, I do feel that this problem lies at his feet. He is the Lead Producer, and this should not have been forced forward. This experiment is not going well and loses need to be cut. From the looks of Ben's Linkedin, it appears that he had a hand in "risk/issue management" in the beginning of his career with Bioware, and there is little reason to think he doesn't have a hand in that now. He could fix this.

The problem with the Dev team is this, they believe they are beyond reproach, that we who do pay an active subscription will like any and all content without question.

There are hundreds maybe even thousands who never bother to look, read or even post on the forums. I was one of those types that didn't comment until recently when I felt the game had taken a turn for the worse.

The best we will get from the team on the matter is "we will improve" because out right saying "we are wrong" would probably have a monumental backlash as media sources would have a field day and only hype up the bad side of SWTOR and impacting any would be new player.

The game is suffering due to the insane identity crisis it faces atm , is it a single player or multiplayer, if it is a multiplayer then you need to give meaningful content to cater for all levels of player base. Uprisings are fine for those casual lot that cant dedicate 2-3 hrs a night on solid Operations but would like complete more than 2-3 instances in their game time.

But this is also shooting the core player base, the ones of us that want to run Operations, and be rewarded for such, even if we wipe on bosses over and over, the challenge is there and the fun is there once the boss drops the gear that helps us progress to the next level.

Taking the ability to enter a Operation and have a meaningful rewards other than YEY I killed that boss feel is what is driving players away from the game, those players are the ones paying £8.99 a month (or whatever) which then put the burden of running this game on Cartel Market sales.

This followed by those intent on exploiting the game and seemingly getting away with it all whilst reaping the rewards that would come from hard work to complete or achieve.

The game is suffering due to the insane identity crisis it faces atm , is it a single player or multiplayer, if it is a multiplayer then you need to give meaningful content to cater for all levels of player base.

I don't agree fully agree with you but I do think an identity crisis is a major factor. The problem seems to me to be that the game is in fact awkwardly straddling the line as you imply, and it won't make up it's mind and do either one quite right. It keeps trying to keep one foot in the other play style then ends up not satisfying either.

For instance, for it to go full story single player it actually needs more story. The new companions' character development needs to be a big part of it. There should be more branches to explore in the outlanders' actions and influence on the galaxy around them. it should explore the ramification of current events on the various existing planets.

If it wants to go full MMO, it needs to return to complex group content that challenges teams to work together and to learn how to defeat various opponents together.

I don't think either is a bad path necessarily, but both seem to need 100%, or close to it, of the development attention... at least for a time. Trying to do a little here and there on these two projects that need to be vast to work seems to be creating insufficient chunks that leave the players unsatisfied.

They are probably doing the best they can with the situation they have, but it feels like someone tipped the balance too far and now the whole scale has tipped over. It would help greatly if someone would stop trying to push this forward and make it work.

I suspect the problem is that the team is in a corner now.

Which is incredibly frustrating. Bioware is essentially repeating the same mistakes of prior MMO dev teams from years ago.

They could have easily avoided this problem if they had bothered to engage with there audience. Actually asked us what we wanted from the game. Took feedback seriously instead of flippantly referring to a "wall of crazy"

Which is incredibly frustrating. Bioware is essentially repeating the same mistakes of prior MMO dev teams from years ago.

They could have easily avoided this problem if they had bothered to engage with there audience. Actually asked us what we wanted from the game. Took feedback seriously instead of flippantly referring to a "wall of crazy"

The problem is what everyone keeps on saying that the forums represent like 1% of the game population, raiders represent also like 1% of the game population now that so many left. Bioware looks at that and says, why waste money on Ops development for 1% of the game population??

The problem is what everyone keeps on saying that the forums represent like 1% of the game population, raiders represent also like 1% of the game population now that so many left. Bioware looks at that and says, why waste money on Ops development for 1% of the game population??

If BW looks at the forums and reads what people say and takes that to be the majority then that must be the stupidest thing I heard. People will always assume their play style is the majority or close to it because thats what they want BW to create for their enjoyment. I would assume all mmo games would have a way to pull data based on players game play. Then based on that data they produce content to satisfy the majority of their player base.

If BW looks at the forums and reads what people say and takes that to be the majority then that must be the stupidest thing I heard. People will always assume their play style is the majority or close to it because thats what they want BW to create for their enjoyment. I would assume all mmo games would have a way to pull data based on players game play. Then based on that data they produce content to satisfy the majority of their player base.

Ewww, you're talking about using metrics, and that's something that's seriously frowned upon in these parts by those who claim to know what "the community" wants.

Ewww, you're talking about using metrics, and that's something that's seriously frowned upon in these parts by those who claim to know what "the community" wants.

It's not metrics that are frowned on it's how Austin has not even bothered to interpret them or is utterly incompetent at root cause analysis.

The raw metrics show that few people play GSF. Even a cursory examination would reveal that there are a multitude of issues that make the experience, particularly the new pilot experience horrific. Turnover is a thing in MMO's. High barriers to entry are a mode killer. This is a "well DUH" concept that Austin clearly hasn't caught onto.

Hardmare was another experiment gone horribly wrong yet the apparent interpretation is: Nobody runs Ops.

Then there's the "cooking the books" biases. Let's make a Summer event that requires new characters and make them do the story. See! People just looooooove levelling and our new story *high fives all around*. Let's make the CXP gain from Uprisings soooooo much better than everything else. See! See?! Uprisings have knocked it out of the park! *hive five time again!*

It's not metrics that are frowned on it's how Austin has not even bothered to interpret them or is utterly incompetent at root cause analysis.

The raw metrics show that few people play GSF. Even a cursory examination would reveal that there are a multitude of issues that make the experience, particularly the new pilot experience horrific. Turnover is a thing in MMO's. High barriers to entry are a mode killer. This is a "well DUH" concept that Austin clearly hasn't caught onto.

Hardmare was another experiment gone horribly wrong yet the apparent interpretation is: Nobody runs Ops.

Then there's the "cooking the books" biases. Let's make a Summer event that requires new characters and make them do the story. See! People just looooooove levelling and our new story *high fives all around*. Let's make the CXP gain from Uprisings soooooo much better than everything else. See! See?! Uprisings have knocked it out of the park! *hive five time again!*

Indubitably!

Eric and Team

please announce new operation's and PVP Maps before all my friends quit the game again.....its been 2 years especially for operations, old ops is great but please come on my 2 guilds i represent alone have over 90 active players begging on there knees for operations...thats 90+ active players x $15 = $1350+ per month alone that could be made here, it makes no sense to me to grind out 242 gear and then have nothing new to use it on....espcially when all of the flashpoints and uprisings can be easily beaten in 230 gear for experienced players

which leaves ranked pvp as the only reason to grind 242 gear.

please please please do not make it 3 years and no new operations our star wars world and player base deserve this we have contributed so much to this game too in our cartel market buys and subscriptions. i respect the story mode stuff but its one and done material for a chunk of the player base we need that mix of big bad bosses to figure out and grind to destroy.or new environments and challenges in PVP arenas.

i know i am not alone so many of us feel so neglected since 3.0 and it sucks we love this game but it needs to show the love back to all players not just select areas .

love HUSKY <3

Im waiting for the stream-announcement... what time can we expect? 2 PM PST as always?

Yes, it will be at 2 PM. From their Twitch page:

A Look Ahead Livestream

WHEN: Thursday, January 26th, 2:00 PM PT

WHAT: An overview of the recent 'Defend the Throne' Game Update, and a look ahead at new gameplay coming to SWTOR this Spring!

In other word, some information on 5.2 (= Master Mode Uprisings) and an announcement of new group gameplay for 5.3.

This means we won't get any information about the rest of the year (what about group content in the summer?) and there likely won't be a PTS for 5.3 if they want to release it this early.

Edited by Jerba

• Dev Post
Im waiting for the stream-announcement... what time can we expect? 2 PM PST as always?

Since I had it mentioned in this thread I wasn't going to make a stand-alone thread, but you are definitely not the first person I have seen ask for it so let me get that together!

As a general reminder you can always get upcoming schedule information directly on our Twitch page as well.

-eric

Since I had it mentioned in this thread I wasn't going to make a stand-alone thread, but you are definitely not the first person I have seen ask for it so let me get that together!

As a general reminder you can always get upcoming schedule information directly on our Twitch page as well.

-eric

What would've been even better is if you had planned this damn patch during the livestream instead of during our ongoing raids.