if the OT were remade today...

Flowstrodamus

now dont jump and attack me right off the start, we all know hollywood remakes can never live up to the original version (read "they're bad") but i started thinking today WHAT IF they were remade.. who would they have play who? and i figured id make a thread on what i thought and what everyone else though! so enjoy!

luke skywalker: zac efron

people are probably going to hate me for this but........ hes not that bad of an actor. he could have that same boyish charm that mark hamill had in IV and show the serious side later on. i know he is a huge star wars fan and when the live action tv show was rumored to be in production (is that still in production? wikipedia says it is but ya never know with that!) he said he would be really really interested in playing luke.

others considered: daniel radcliffe? shia labeouf? not really sure with this one

leia organa: jennifer lawrence

shes got two things going for her

1.) shes very, very attractive

2.) shes a great actress. she was nominated two years ago i believe for best actress for winters bone

she would be able to play leia perfectly i feel. shed be able to be good looking enough to be eye candy yet have enough acting skill to really deliver a good job. if you look at all the young top actresses right now no one is even close to her.

others considered: hanna mangan-lawrence. shes relatively unknown, if anyone watches spartacus: vengeance she plays seppia, the roman girl. so far in the series she seems pretty good so she could play a good leia. again this is a tough role to cast

obi wan kenobi- ewan mcgregor

i think he did in a pretty good job in the prequels as kenobi, a lot of people would want a bigger name actor possibly in this role, i mean come on its obi wan! but there arent too many actors i could really see playing old ben

han solo- brad pitt

when star wars was coming out they went and got a great actor who was extremely good looking; hence here we get the same thing. brad pitt is good looking enough to make the ladies swoon and enough of a bad *** to make the guys wanna be him. this one to me seems like the best one i could come up with. and of course in the remake han would shoot first.

others considered: none

lando calrissan- will smith

i personally love will smith, i think hes great. i though perhaps denzel but i feel like denzel is a bit too old for lando.

obviously there are many more very important roles but these were the ones i could think of off the top of my head. so what do you guys think? would you recast anyone in these roles? also who didnt i include that you would cast? and remember we all love star wars, so dont hate :)

now dont jump and attack me right off the start, we all know hollywood remakes can never live up to the original version (read "they're bad") but i started thinking today WHAT IF they were remade.. who would they have play who? and i figured id make a thread on what i thought and what everyone else though! so enjoy!

luke skywalker: zac efron

people are probably going to hate me for this but........ hes not that bad of an actor. he could have that same boyish charm that mark hamill had in IV and show the serious side later on. i know he is a huge star wars fan and when the live action tv show was rumored to be in production (is that still in production? wikipedia says it is but ya never know with that!) he said he would be really really interested in playing luke.

others considered: daniel radcliffe? shia labeouf? not really sure with this one

leia organa: jennifer lawrence

shes got two things going for her

1.) shes very, very attractive

2.) shes a great actress. she was nominated two years ago i believe for best actress for winters bone

she would be able to play leia perfectly i feel. shed be able to be good looking enough to be eye candy yet have enough acting skill to really deliver a good job. if you look at all the young top actresses right now no one is even close to her.

others considered: hanna mangan-lawrence. shes relatively unknown, if anyone watches spartacus: vengeance she plays seppia, the roman girl. so far in the series she seems pretty good so she could play a good leia. again this is a tough role to cast

obi wan kenobi- ewan mcgregor

i think he did in a pretty good job in the prequels as kenobi, a lot of people would want a bigger name actor possibly in this role, i mean come on its obi wan! but there arent too many actors i could really see playing old ben

han solo- brad pitt

when star wars was coming out they went and got a great actor who was extremely good looking; hence here we get the same thing. brad pitt is good looking enough to make the ladies swoon and enough of a bad *** to make the guys wanna be him. this one to me seems like the best one i could come up with. and of course in the remake han would shoot first.

others considered: none

lando calrissan- will smith

i personally love will smith, i think hes great. i though perhaps denzel but i feel like denzel is a bit too old for lando.

obviously there are many more very important roles but these were the ones i could think of off the top of my head. so what do you guys think? would you recast anyone in these roles? also who didnt i include that you would cast? and remember we all love star wars, so dont hate :)

Sorry but...

-10000000 respect.

It would be like when they changed the actress for Eve in the latest The Mummy movie... It ruined the character, and in turn ruined everything...

however... IF they did, I couldn't see Zach Efron as Luke... ever.... ... .. . ... .. .

As for Han Solo... I'd like to think that Harrison Ford could still play Han... (Having an Indiana Jones fan for a brother makes me forget how much he's aged since then...)

Huegh Jackman is a bit more ruggard looking than Brad Pitt...

Being 20 part of me wants to see the moveis re-made with better special effects, graphics and so on... BUT I also know that I'd probably hate them because I can't see anyone else as those characters, regardless of how good their acting skills/looks are.

Sorry for my spelling... It's been a long day at work.

The idea of re-casting the original isn't a bad one for discussion. You're right though, Zack makes me want to twinge.

Here's my take....just on thinking out loud.

Luke: Charlie Hunnam

Obi Wan: Kenneth Brannagh

Han Solo: Christian Bale

Lando: Dwayne Johnson

Vader: ...meh, take a big guy and toss him in a suit. I don't know.

Lea: Natalie Dormer. She may not be best for the role (probably better off playing Mara Jade if they ever went down that route).

Josh Holloway from LOST would make an excellent Han, tho it'd be a bit too on the nose since Sawyer was very Han-like already (and made several Han-related jokes during the series). And, really, he's probably too old. Han's supposed to be roughly 30!

For Luke, they should go 'unknown' (or lesser-known than Efron--great that the guy's a big fan, but if he was putting himself forward as wanting to play Luke in the SW TV series, he's not THAT big a fan; the series would be set while Luke's still a kid living on Tatooine with nothing at all exciting happening to him, he'd have no reason to be in the series at all except to shrink the universe even more)

Funny to see someone mention Kenneth Branagh as Obi-Wan... in the mid-90s when Prequel rumblings were spreading, a lot of people were putting Branagh forward as an ideal Obi-Wan (and, predictably, some fans went too far and swore that it was TOTALLY CONFIRMED that he'd be Obi-Wan because they heard it from a friend's cousin's ex-gardener)

i completely forgot about josh holloway, thats a great person for the role. and he said hed wanna play luke before it was announced when the tv series would take place, just that there would be a live action tv series. which by the way does anyone know when thats supposed to be coming out?

I agree with the sensible, rational people who have said that there is nothing wrong with discussing this. It really isn't any kind of heresy to think about a remake. It might even happen one day, but probably not for a very long time. Decades probably.

I totally disagree with absolutely every actor chosen by the OP (which is fine because we all have different opinions), but the thing that really riled me was this;

we all know hollywood remakes can never live up to the original version (read "they're bad")

This is both trite and just not true. There is no fundamental law of the universe that says that a Hollywood remake is automatically bad. Sorry to get all film buff on you but, how about;

"True Grit". The Cohen Brothers remake was critically acclaimed, won several awards and was arguably better than the original.

"The Magnificent Seven". A classic and a remake of the Akira Kurosawa film "The Seven Samurai". Incidently, Kurosawa is well known to be a major influence on Lucas.

Kurosawa also made "Yojimbo" which was remade as "A Fist full of Dollars". Ok, it's not strictly Hollywood, but a remake none the less.

Jon Carpenter's "The Thing" is far better than the original 1950's movie, as is the 1970's version of "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" with Donald Sutherland. "The Fly", "King Kong" (the Peter Jackson version, not the 1970's remake, which was poor) and "Little Shop of Horrors" are all brilliant, or how about "Cape Fear", "Scarface" or "Ocean's Eleven"?

There has also been a long tradition of making English language version of successful foreign films. "My Father the Hero" still makes me laugh, "Breathless" is a great film and we've recently had "Let me in" and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (which I personally think is a far superior film to the Swedish original - but then it is David Fincher behind it).

So, are Hollywood remakes automatically bad?

..and before anyone dares to say that these films are exceptions which proves the rule, I would argue that the majority of films, whether they are original screenplays, adaptations or remakes, are not very good. Being a remake has no bearing on quality.

Edited by Crito

No sure about brad pitt.

Han Solo: Brendon Fraser (he is cool and smirky)

LOL, I can picture this one!

He'd have to follow "...I have a bad feeling about this" with "I HATE MUMMIES!" though ;)

If you kept my original idea of having Dwayne Johnson as Lando, I think it would be great!

Edited by Daederik

Re: the SW TV series, it's been shelved indefinitely, since according to the producer and/or Lucas, each episode is just too expensive to make right now. Which really means, they really have no idea how to do their jobs.

You don't want each episode to cost $40 million (or whatever ridiculous number they had in mind)? COMPROMISE! It doesn't mean today what it did in 1976... it doesn't mean "Oh, it'd be too crazy to rotoscope a big monster puppet over that guy playing Jabba, so we've gotta cut the shot" (which arguably made the film better). It just means "Maybe we should streamline some stuff so every alien vista isn't populated by forests of jumping fungus with rainbow sky and an entire zoo of alien critters running around the town".

Looking at other reasonably successful (or, at least, well-received by fans if not Nielsen/networks) sci-fi shows, they managed to get a LOT of stuff done, and they were often deemed 'too expensive' with a fraction of what the SW show was estimated to cost.