Redoing KOTFE

GrayPenguin

So I was playing KOTET when I was forced to choose between Torian, and Vette. I ended up choosing Torian, ultimately killing Vette. Now I regret that decision, a lot. So I was wondering, if I go back and replay the chapters, or restart in a different difficulty, could I choose Vette? In turn killing Torian but letting Vette survive and become one of my companions? Appreciate the help.

Update. I've redone the chapter where you make the decision, this time letting Vette live. But then I finished the chapter, and vette is still dead and torian is still alive... Anyone know how to make it permanent?

Edited by GrayPenguin

Anyone know how to make it permanent?

Just like real life there is no respawns, or take backs. Once a Character made by a choice within a story line decision. Stays dead.......

Do like i do when i cant make a hard decision, just Flip a coin or a (Chance Cube) and let fate pick it for ya. Then stick with it.

Take care.......

Edited by Sith-Viscera

No. Once a companion/character dies in your story they remain dead. There's no way to redo it on the same character, although you can, as you saw, replay the chapter to see the other choice.

AFAIK you *can* retrieve Vette or Torian from the Odessen terminal in your room if you just want them to run around with you as a companion but for story purposes they are still gone.

More to the point, once you make a choice, any choice, in KotFE/ET and let the chapter finish, the choice is recorded permanently on that character's life, and cannot be undone. If you finish Chapter III and immediately regret having let the reactor blow, that's it, that character blew the reactor.

You can get Vette back from the companion terminal on your bedroom on Odessen, however canonically speaking she'll still be dead. It is about as close as you'll be able to get, otherwise you'll just have to re-roll.

Hmm, that's kinda creepy. I didn't know that. :)

I mean I know about that terminal, but I never tried to get "dead" ones back.

Edited by Zerileth

Hmm, that's kinda creepy. I didn't know that. :)

I mean I know about that terminal, but I never tried to get "dead" ones back.

The terminal doesn't give back everyone - I just went to see for myself and the following were summonable:

1. Senya

2. SCORPIO

3. Torian

4. Elara Dorne

5. Quinn

I'm actually a little surprised to see SCORPIO, Senya and Quinn there because they are killed by the player. I don't know if Koth, Aric Jorgan and Kaliyo also appear if you've killed them off, in that case.

I think with Torian and Vette, it's possible to decide for one's own story that they were just badly injured and not killed. I've read comments from people here where that's exactly what they decided, and it's a reasonable explanation as to why they'd still be walking around with you.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I think with Torian and Vette, it's possible to decide for one's own story that they were just badly injured and not killed. I've read comments from people here where that's exactly what they decided, and it's a reasonable explanation as to why they'd still be walking around with you.

"It's a reasonable explanation" is highly debatable. If the non-survivor is merely injured, why did the survivor and the non-survivor's advocate (Gault for Vette, Shae V for Torian) write a letter about the non-survivor's death?

"It's a reasonable explanation" is highly debatable. If the non-survivor is merely injured, why did the survivor and the non-survivor's advocate (Gault for Vette, Shae V for Torian) write a letter about the non-survivor's death?

"Reasonable" doesn't mean bulletproof. I would imagine someone who decides that Torian or Vette survived would simply headcanon those letters out. Or else headcanon that the letters were sent when Torian/Vette were believed to be dead or were so injured that it was believed they weren't going to pull through. Vette's letter doesn't mention Torian at all; just that she's grateful to have been saved, so there's that, as well.

I've seen numerous people use the headcanon of both surviving, and considering that the terminal lets you do something that is already unrealistic (retrieving companions that are either dead or missing in the story) it's as good a way of any of making that more plausible.

Heck, there are people wanting Vaylin and Thana Vesh companions or escaping out of KOTFE 1 to have a Darth Marr to run around with them. Considering that two of those people have pretty huge, dramatic death scenes and the other's dead in a lot of people's stories, it's no more implausible than that.

"Reasonable" doesn't mean bulletproof. I would imagine someone who decides that Torian or Vette survived would simply headcanon those letters out. Or else headcanon that the letters were sent when Torian/Vette were believed to be dead or were so injured that it was believed they weren't going to pull through. Vette's letter doesn't mention Torian at all; just that she's grateful to have been saved, so there's that, as well.

I've seen numerous people use the headcanon of both surviving, and considering that the terminal lets you do something that is already unrealistic (retrieving companions that are either dead or missing in the story) it's as good a way of any of making that more plausible.

Heck, there are people wanting Vaylin and Thana Vesh companions or escaping out of KOTFE 1 to have a Darth Marr to run around with them. Considering that two of those people have pretty huge, dramatic death scenes and the other's dead in a lot of people's stories, it's no more implausible than that.

The terminal lets you do something realistic for the sake of gameplay though, not for your own headcanons, imagine if someone had leveled Vette all the way to rank 50 of influence and once KOTET rolls around they let her die. That play would lose all that progress forever so to avoid that issue the devs allows us to get our companions back, canonically speaking they're still dead however, personal headcanons aside of course but personal headcanons were not the reason for that terminal.

The terminal lets you do something realistic for the sake of gameplay though, not for your own headcanons, imagine if someone had leveled Vette all the way to rank 50 of influence and once KOTET rolls around they let her die. That play would lose all that progress forever so to avoid that issue the devs allows us to get our companions back, canonically speaking they're still dead however, personal headcanons aside of course but personal headcanons were not the reason for that terminal.

Remember that the devs didn't originally have the terminal; it was only added after people repeatedly asked for companions that had not returned. I am sure there were numerous reasons for that, and I agree that personal HCs were probably not the primary reason.

But I do think that for many players the personal stories they create are of utmost importance and they want specific characters back for that reason. In the case of Vette vs. Torian, IMHO it also has to do with the fact that a lot of people didn't like choosing and thought it was implausible (with so many Alliance allies, NOBODY could get to the other person?!), so they decided to amend the situation.

Remember that the devs didn't originally have the terminal; it was only added after people repeatedly asked for companions that had not returned. I am sure there were numerous reasons for that, and I agree that personal HCs were probably not the primary reason.

But I do think that for many players the personal stories they create are of utmost importance and they want specific characters back for that reason. In the case of Vette vs. Torian, IMHO it also has to do with the fact that a lot of people didn't like choosing and thought it was implausible (with so many Alliance allies, NOBODY could get to the other person?!), so they decided to amend the situation.

If I recall wasn't the terminal there since the beginning? Pretty sure originally you got your non-returned companions through there. Well at least we're in agreement.

Yeah I'm not trying to burst in and say people's headcanon shouldn't exist, my point was that it wasn't exactly the reason for that terminal. And I kind of agree but at the same time... everyone was busy fighting, it was the Alliance VS the full might of the Eternal Empire, unfortunately in that case you can't always save everyone, I personally have a hate-love relationship when Bioware virmire us. Plus I think even if we had sent someone else Vaylin would've been just as likely to be able to defeat them before we arrived to save our companion.

If I recall wasn't the terminal there since the beginning? Pretty sure originally you got your non-returned companions through there. Well at least we're in agreement.

Yeah I'm not trying to burst in and say people's headcanon shouldn't exist, my point was that it wasn't exactly the reason for that terminal. And I kind of agree but at the same time... everyone was busy fighting, it was the Alliance VS the full might of the Eternal Empire, unfortunately in that case you can't always save everyone, I personally have a hate-love relationship when Bioware virmire us. Plus I think even if we had sent someone else Vaylin would've been just as likely to be able to defeat them before we arrived to save our companion.

From what I recall on the forums, the reason the terminal was added was because of the influence of the companion. Some forum posters were upset when they lost a companion (not sure which one it was at the time) that had a influence level of 50 so they added the terminal for people to pull a high level companion from the terminal so you didn't lose a high level (influence) companion when they were killed in the story.

From what I recall on the forums, the reason the terminal was added was because of the influence of the companion. Some forum posters were upset when they lost a companion (not sure which one it was at the time) that had a influence level of 50 so they added the terminal for people to pull a high level companion from the terminal so you didn't lose a high level (influence) companion when they were killed in the story.

Yeah, but if I recall it was there from the beginning so you could possibly recruit the class companions who hadn't returned. That is also another reason as to why that terminal is there since after a few chapters you could potentially lose a companion due to story reasons. Anyway let me know if I'm wrong though because I recall the terminal being there at launch.