Doing a better job...

BloodSanction

I'm currently running a gunnery commando at lvl 52 my damage output is decent I know it could be better but I'm a little confused by gear rating. I know the basics of if your a sub then have at least blue or purple gear equipped but my questions would be would it better to have only purple gear or run with nodded orange gear also what do do you think would be a good item rating for maxing out my character who is a lvl 52 pve gunnery commando? Thanks for any advice and helpful tips

same here.

i use the dvl, level gear, too.

weapons are just empty shells.

this you can run until the first hm raids

The DvL +XP gear is something silly like 160-rated armorings, which correspond to something around level 60, except that they are of doubtful value above level 50 or so because of their weird stat mix.

For OP: at level 52, you should not expend any effort *at*all* on "maxing" your character, since that effort will be invalidated as soon as you reach level 56 and get access to the next tier of mods. There is no "for subs do this" thing as such, except insofar as subs are *allowed* to use purples, while non-subs can only use purples in either of the following conditions:

* They used an "Artifact Equipment Authorization" (?name) unlock.

* They bound the purple item while they were a subscriber. (Obviously applies to ex-subs only.)

But as stated above, that is largely irrelevant below level 70.

To elaborate - everything you do below max level is bolstered or level synced. Just have something in the slot and you're fine. Maxing/optimizing pre-70 is pointless as you're just going to be overlevelled for the gear in a few levels, and levelling is hardly difficult. Enjoy the ride to 70 - then you can gear grind away.

I understand now. Thanks for explaining more about why it was not needed. I guess I'm just going to stack up credits and get some murderlator deathpunch gear at lvl 70

Credits won't help you get anything better than funfeather deathtickle gear, sadly.

All gear at "rating" 230 or above is obtained through the various aspects of the Command XP system, and none of it can be bought for credits, except for MK-4 and MK-14 crafted gear, which is sub-optimal because it is Endurance-heavy, so you do reduced damage/heals while wearing it compared to MK-3 or MK-13, which are the same rating, but biased in favour of Mastery/Power.

MK-4 gear also doesn't have the "set bonus" - a set of boosts that accumulate as you have more pieces of armour (fussy: more *armorings*, because the set bonus is a property of the armoring, not the moddable shell)

The other thing that MK-4 lacks is moddability - for a Commando this is particularly painful since the Eternal Commander MK-4 and MK-14 cannons are short, fat, and cylindrical, and shiny red in colour, so you look like you're hauling around a giant Coke can.