Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Tips for Newer GSF Players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
[Guide] Tips for Newer GSF Players

Armonddd
07.03.2015 , 04:44 PM | #11
I would have put the bit about RFL higher for more visibility. Under the skill > gear section. Above it, maybe.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

ALaggyGrunt
07.05.2015 , 02:35 AM | #12
I would like to add: Line of Sight is very very important in this game. If there is a rock in the way, you aren't going to get hit by whatever is trying to kill you. It turns enemy proton torpedoes from an actual threat to your bomber to an annoying beeping sound which means "fly behind the nearest rock." It turns an enemy railgun shot into an automatic miss-at least, if you wait for the gunship to get bored and try to kill someone else. Enemy drones have to obey line of sight, too: you see a rail sentry charging, put something between yourself and the drone and it can't hit you. It makes enemy scouts fly around the rock to get at you-and if you get good at flying very close to the rock in all those little valleys, it takes one crazy good scout to kill you-or a gunship waiting on the other side with a charged rail pointed at you.
It's also the reason railguns are 1000 times better than torpedoes: if you start charging your railgun at just the right time, all you have to do is release when your target pokes its nose out from behind something, and it gets no lock warning. A torpedo, on the other hand, makes this annoying beeping sound which is really hard to miss and tells your target someone is trying to lock a missile on it, so it knows to seek cover and/or start tabbing through to see who's lighting up their HUD and making that annoying sound.

Archonitek
07.05.2015 , 02:55 AM | #13
I'd suggest that you put in 'reticule goes red when target is in range'. I highly doubt most rookies realise what range their weapon is and watching some strike open up with rfl's at 10k is amusing and irritating at the same time.
Eclipse Squadron - Cedwic/Eclipse-seven - Pilot - The Ebon Hawk
Nova Squadron - Zemelda - Lieutenant - The Ebon Hawk
Red Squadron - Teerayne - Senior Spaceman - The Harbinger

DakhathKilrathi
07.05.2015 , 01:24 PM | #14
Edited to add a couple points and reorder some things. This is probably the last day I'll be posting on the forums for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Nemarus
07.05.2015 , 04:11 PM | #15
Before you leave, you might make one pass on it to clean up the tone a bit. I'm linking people to it from reddit (because it is concise and accurate), but one has already called it pretty condescending. The first line definitely has no purpose but to set readers on the defensive.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Verain
07.05.2015 , 05:04 PM | #16
Wait, the website where everyone competes to be offended the most, has someone who is offended on it?
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

DakhathKilrathi
07.05.2015 , 06:27 PM | #17
Removed the first line. It was intended as a joke, but I'd rather not discourage people who might misread it.

Linuxizer
07.06.2015 , 09:30 PM | #18
Thanks for posting this. You've covered all the important stuff, so I don't have anything really useful to add.

- In Domination, you only need to hold one satellite when leading 668-334 (or any score where you are more than twice as close to 1000 as the other team... plus a little margin for the kills and deaths). I thought it was obvious, but every now and then I see a frantic chat message or two to indicate otherwise.

- You need a reasonably powerful PC to get good frame rates in GSF. If necessary, turn down the shader level, which has the added bonus of making dark rocks easier to see, but Damage Overcharges harder to see from far.

- Maybe turn up the monitor's brightness a little to help see those dark rocks.

- Good internet connection helps. I can get about 35ms server lag on NA East servers, 75ms on NA West servers, 105ms on European servers. NA West servers are fine for me most of the time, but sometimes the lag keeps going above 150ms and it starts to annoy me. At 300ms or so, I wouldn't bother.

- A generic $5 optical mouse could be passable. A gaming mouse does help a bit. A mechanical mouse filled with dust is not going to cut it.
The Lightsaber-jerk

Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jBHrWL

ALaggyGrunt
07.08.2015 , 02:35 AM | #19
How to lock a missile:
Get a target within missile range, and inside the missile firing cone. Hold right mouse until the missile locks. Release to fire. If your target breaks line of sight, you lose the lock. If they go out the side or end of your missile firing cone, you also lose the lock.
Once the missile fires, it's like a spell: the only way to break the lock is with a missile lock break ability before it hits.
The flashfire in the tutorial does have the fast-locking cluster missiles, so you can try them there.

Lowfrequenzy
07.08.2015 , 03:38 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ALaggyGrunt View Post
How to lock a missile:
Get a target within missile range, and inside the missile firing cone. Hold right mouse until the missile locks. Release to fire. If your target breaks line of sight, you lose the lock. If they go out the side or end of your missile firing cone, you also lose the lock.
Once the missile fires, it's like a spell: the only way to break the lock is with a missile lock break ability before it hits.
The flashfire in the tutorial does have the fast-locking cluster missiles, so you can try them there.
Adding to this: the missle firing cone is in most cases the smaller circle. In case of Heavy Laser Cannon and Concussion Missiles it is the same size, though. This makes it an interesting combination.
Motetta across the galaxies
Vanjervalis Chain - T3-M4 - Progenitor - TRE - Ebon Hawk