Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

Read More

if you guys would take this new technology and reinvent Starwars Galaxies when it was originally released before you tried to make it like wow you would have the ultimate mmo. That game was the best and you had to earn your jedi it was not given to you . Just my opinion !

Never played EQ can't comment.

You would be amazed. WoW looks a lot like EverQuest. It was not original. I'm not saying SWTOR is totally original, but the VO'd story-driven leveling system sets it further apart from WoW, than WoW was to EQ.

15 ppl on fleet on a good day.

Ouch!

The legacy perks allow you to level faster. Don't deny this - it will be P2W.

I just don't think leveling faster is P2W. Maxing out your character will be done in Operations. An XP boost won't help you there. It will just help you get to 50 faster.

$15 a month isn't free. 1 WZ added and a loss of world pvp. Plus some random FPs. I'd say we broke even

I just meant that there has been no cost above the sub.

Embedded.

Embedded.

The legacy perks allow you to level faster. Don't deny this - it will be P2W.

I just don't think leveling faster is P2W. Maxing out your character will be done in Operations. An XP boost won't help you there. It will just help you get to 50 faster.

Sorry I meant the legacy perks already allow you to level faster. That is not F2P. I meant buffs or gear normally bought with only ranked WZ credits now available for sale or other random buffs they could offer.

F2P is a GREAT thing and should have been there with launch. All new mmos will be f2p in the future releases. What needs to happen is f2p first followed by a mini xpac that adds

-Arenas

-Level Cap raised

-World PvP hotspots.

- Fleet 2.0 An area on the fleet that allows dueling and is only accessible to xpac players.

This game is great and I love that BW listens to the community. Amazing gameplay and PvP, but most people just don't want to pay for two subs. I truly believe that bw did a great job making this game and the drop off in sub numbers has everything to do with WoW players would rather play WoW.

A. a Subscription gives you free Cartel Cash to spend on "Better" gear (aka cosmetic gear, cause that's all that will appear in this store) LOTRO does this, and it's exactly how it works.. I look at an item in the store, decide if I want it, and then spend my cash I get every money on it...

B. You'll have access to the store just like them... Like I said, you get free cash every month to spend in the store.

Now some people don't like this sort of thing, I'll use an example though..

I have a life time subscription to LOTRO that i bought long ago before it went f2p...Every month despite the fact i don't spend any money on subscription cost, I get 500 Turbine Points for free...I automatically get all new content in patches for free.....since my account is basically a subscription...But now since Turbine also releases Expansion packs in the store as well..I can spend my free cash on the expansion pack that comes out... Rohan expansion coming in September for example.. I'll get that for free just by wasting my turbine points on it.. So It just saved me an extra $40-50 dollars I would have to spend If I wanted it.

So if im a 90 days trail,how will mine free cash work?

Brillaint article here-

A log of interviews showing Bioware dead against F2P for TOR (not against it as a whole but for their game format). They also go on about constant promise of monthly updates and towards the end the whole tide is turned.

F2P is good for them and the monthly content updates as promised for a monthly fee is now unatainable and can not be done basicly...... what a joke.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1225612p1.html

Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.

Star Trek Online

The game is crap....enough said.

Well this is my first post, as far as I can remember, here in the SWTOR forums. That being said, I will try to make it a nonrage post.

I can understand BW wanting to go F2P. Its the new thing to do in MMOs here in the U.S., but I don't understand how BW is going to pull this off. I mean I understand the concept, but what I don't understand is the fact that F2P players will really only have questing in the game. Everything either has a weekly limit/cap or no access at all. The thing that I truely don't understand is why BW/EA is deviating so much from traditional F2P models. As far as I know, no one else locks raids (ops) for players, therefore forcing them to pay for raid content. Most people play for end game content, so I'm not sure this is the best way to go. I have been known to be wrong before and hope that I am now, but it just seems to be so different from current models out there. I would propose that at the very least F2P should have access to all current game content up to the release of F2P. This would at least give those folks a chance to experience all that SWTOR has to offer before deciding to buy additional access to future content updates.

This in no way affects me. I have always and will always subscribe to the monthly sub model, but I know people who would rather play F2P and those people are just like sub players, they want end game PvP and PvE. I'm not bashing BW/EA for going F2P, but this model is so far left of center that it doesn't seem to offer those players much in the way of wanting to either stick around or pay for a sub. To me, this F2P model is like saying "Here is KotOR 3, without the original storyline. Hope you enjoy." I believe some players will be okay with this model, but the vast majority will not like it, not when there are a ton or other preimum F2P games available that offer more content.

Star Trek Online

The game is crap....enough said.

A lot of people would tend to disagree with you, But then again they are not playing this game, so.

STO has its flaws, but it's for the most part a decent game, but then again the biggest flaw was Bringing in Perfect world.

My opinion. Take it for what its worth.

Didn't lose 1.7 million. It reached 1.7 million, and is now "well above" 500k, but below 1 million.

And WoW was an Everquest clone. I will even go so far as to say WoW looked more like EverQuest, than SWTOR looks like WoW.

I think you are right about this. There are a lot of open-world PvPers out there, and they failed to deliver good open-world PvP. I can't deny this one.

They started with 3 WZs, have added a 4th, and a 5th is coming out soon. The game hasn't been out that long.

I wasn't playing when the servers were dead. I played at launch, and after the merges, so I can't comment too much on how bad it was.

I disagree. It is a good money sink, and adds non-P2W perks. Fine by me.

Depends on what the boosts are. If it is just an XP boost, That doesn't mean P2W. when I leveled up my Trooper, I was already over leveled for the content I was in. Leveling up faster doesn't grant you many benefits. It certainly doesn't make you uber. If they have special combat buffs that are "real money only", that could be a problem. I don't want to see P2W any more than you do.

Haven't done ranked WZs, so I can't comment.

I disagree. We have gotten content updates for free. The game has only been out 7 months. This is fine.

The game isn't perfect, but I am having fun playing.

This game is VERY far from biting the dust. It still has over 2x as many subs as SWG EVER had.

Well said man well said either way it's like Elite in MW3 you don't have to get it but u get additional stuff now what's good is if u can unsubscribe paying say this month was bad and then activate full perks once ur ready to get back in.

Also we shouldn't loose perks once paid after we decide to F2P say from Jan to March hey new years means new responsibilites. What I am hearing is that u will have to start over if you subscribe....now EA that makes no sense like MW3 once paid for maps u keep but Elite Perks go away yet I'm still me in the game. Not trying to troll but if I do say use F2P cause money is tight and etc. and have to start over that gets repetitive in a bad way and like stated all game servers come to an end it's how you rode the train there sleeping or enjoying the scene

779 posts and 56,787 views on this thread the the devs are completely ignoring this tread. This only proves they do not care at all that there is a significant amount of people who do not like this idea at all.. but they don't care at all.. if they did they would at least have acknowledged this thread. this is complete garbage!!!

Hey AllisonBerryman how about you acknowledge this thread... I mean its a sticky and has posts than any other sticky and the second highest views. But no you completely ignore this thread and don't post anything here at all!!

779 posts and 56,787 views on this thread the the devs are completely ignoring this tread. This only proves they do not care at all that there is a significant amount of people who do not like this idea at all.. but they don't care at all.. if they did they would at least have acknowledged this thread. this is complete garbage!!!

Hey AllisonBerryman how about you acknowledge this thread... I mean its a sticky and has posts than any other sticky and the second highest views. But no you completely ignore this thread and don't post anything here at all!!

Welcome to my experience with SWTOR since I bought the game (Pre-purchase). Little response in forums. Canned CS ticket replies that didn't help and usually showed the CS paster hadn't even read my issue, CS forum help requests directed to informationless dev posts, etc. It's nothing new. Welcome to the ignored customer club.

Edited by Catsmeat

Welcome to my experience with SWTOR since I bought the game. Little response in forums. Canned CS ticket replies that didn't help and usually showed the CS paster hadn't even read my issue. It's nothing new. Welcome to the ignored customer club.

I have had the same deal.. I have even called them and got the same lies there.. Really nice staff but their phone tech support knows about as much as we do about all of this.

There's still tons of buggy situations in SWTOR and there's SO MUCH GRINDING!!! Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun, but trying to follow a game like WOW is going to take something way more solid, planned out, and original than what the game currently is.

Grinding? What grinding? The only grinding i've seen is in crafting anything good.