Key bindings for laptop

MightyFiredemon

As the title suggest i have a laptop and have been playing swtor for about a year now and since i've stated pvp a lot more and for the sake of not having to move my hands a lot. I have searched the web but all key bindings i find seem to be for desktops and not laptops. Also i dont have a special mouse with extra buttons. So my question is does anyone have any good tips or way of key binding for laptop users?

A lot of it is going to come down to personal preference and playstyle, so a lot of advice isn't going to be helpful for you personally.

I would suggest to make an easily remembered system out of it. For example I hotkey all of my rotational combat abilities to the first five number keys and keys close to my movement keys. Defensive abilities (Stuns, cooldowns, interrupts) I hotkey to Shift+those same keys. Situational utility I map to Ctrl+those keys since it is a bit harder to get to quickly. Rare utility I don't bother with a keybind and instead place them all on my rightmost quickbar to click as I need them.

What keybindings you use for your laptop will also depend on the laptop itself. I have a laptop with a full keyboard, including separate numpad, so I can use the same keybinds as on my desktop (especially when I'm using it at home, where I have a "desktop" keyboard plugged into it).

Default for mouse movement is click/hold down both left and right mouse buttons simultaneously to move forward. And mouse-move to turn or whatever. On your laptop, I suppose you could use the left+right buttons on the touchpad, and then swipe the pad for turning. I don't use mouse-move much myself, though, on desktop or laptop. (And I plug in a separate mouse and switch off the touchpad, because I just don't like using the touchpad, period.

Default keybinds for movement are standard WASD to move forward, left, back, and right, with arrow keys as alternates, and QE for strafe left/right. If your laptop doesn't have arrow keys, you will have to use whatever special key combo your laptop uses (if any) to emulate arrow keys, if you don't want to use WASD.

Edited by Adric_the_Red