About cyborgs

Lokyddt

Hi everyone, players or staff members !

About three month ago, I was selected for the SWTOR beta test. Imagine how happy I was, even if it only last a few days ! But when I launched the game, I was really stuned by the possibility to create a cyborg, so I highlighted that when I was asked to comment the game.

Since yesterday, I finally can play, and for real this time ! As you can guess, I played until my eyes closed and my head felt on my keyboard... But there was a little thing that ruined my firsts steps on the game : you unterstand what : cyborgs !

I'll explain why I think this race shouldn't exist :

They are not species !

Indeed, in this game, cyborgs are humans with a cybernetic implant in their face. It could have been better if you could have a robotic arm, or half your face in metal... But no ! It's just a little thing, just like a coin...

There is an other fact choquing me : are Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader humans or cyborgs ??? Because remeber : they both have robotics parts.

There is yet a extremely simple solution : add an option 'Cybernetic implant' during the character reation, just like 'Hair cut', 'Tattoo', etc...

Moreover, this would allow other races to have thoses implants, because I can't understand why only humans could be cyborgs. In the best case, this is just to make the development easy, and in the worst case this is racism (if it's possible to be racist with an non-existing species...). But anyway, this is just not fair.

You will tell me « But now the game is launched, it's not possible to remove a race, because a lot of people are currently playing a cyborg character ».

Well, as a programmer and MMO gamer (even if I never programmed those games ^^), I can tel you it's really easy to make a player recreate a character without losing his skills, levels, quest, items... You just have to make sure he keeps his race and gender, the rest doesn't matter. It's even possible to keep his appearence as a human with specifics values in 'cybernetic implants'.

I thank you for reading this. Excuse me if my english isn't perfect because i'm french. I invite you to share your opinion about cyborgs and about what I wrote.

(Original french post)