I don't understand

Bogezzus

So on my 14 Sent. I keep on coming across Operatives who can stun me, and take roughyl 9-10k+ HP away before the stun ends with their constant flow of crits. And then stun me again if they actually for some reason feel it's necessary.

I understand most cases they are 45+..but how is it that I can fight on some what of an even level with other 45+'s just not Ops?

And why is it 10-49 then if that's the case? If 49's are so incredibly powerful, shouldn't you split it up into tiers?

Basically what I am saying is why can Ops just sneak in, kill you, and sneak back out within seconds? And please don't tell me that's their only way of attacking and killing, we all know that's not true.

Really though, if anyone has any advice on how to beat an Operative on a Sent let me know.

Edited by Bogezzus

Did u unsub?

If so, then all BW has to do is : nerf operative again. Problem solved

Why would I unsub?

It's a pretty legitmate question.

Also fact, almost every MMORPG favors a single class. And that class would be the Rogue class. And that is the class in every MMO that gets the most flack. Also, quite often melee classes such as the warrior or tank are often lacking compared to every other class. Honestly I love the Sent/Guardian. But I hate Operatives.

Are you sure it was just one operative and not a team of them?

There was definantly one. On more than one occasion. All I saw was a stun, then he/she pops up behind me and gives me a steady flow of 2.5-3k crits, usually 3-5 times, before the stun wears off. Not much I can do after that, if I'm still alive that is.

Why would I unsub?

It's a pretty legitmate question.

Also fact, almost every MMORPG favors a single class. And that class would be the Rogue class. And that is the class in every MMO that gets the most flack. Also, quite often melee classes such as the warrior or tank are often lacking compared to every other class. Honestly I love the Sent/Guardian. But I hate Operatives.

This will change, you're only 14 so you lack quite a bit of your classes' legendary defensive cooldowns. Upon reaching 40 (? someone feel free to correct me, I have not played my mara in sometime), you should have no problem countering them provided that you can use said cooldowns effectively.

So on my 14 Sent. I keep on coming across Operatives who can stun me, and take roughyl 9-10k+ HP away before the stun ends with their constant flow of crits. And then stun me again if they actually for some reason feel it's necessary.

I understand most cases they are 45+..but how is it that I can fight on some what of an even level with other 45+'s just not Ops?

And why is it 10-49 then if that's the case? If 49's are so incredibly powerful, shouldn't you split it up into tiers?

Basically what I am saying is why can Ops just sneak in, kill you, and sneak back out within seconds? And please don't tell me that's their only way of attacking and killing, we all know that's not true.

Really though, if anyone has any advice on how to beat an Operative on a Sent let me know.

This is because you heard that Sentinels were unstoppable and believed it, huh?

No, your level 14 Sentinel pretty much has no chance of ever beating a lv45 Operative, unless they are almost dead, are AFK, unable to react in some manner, or any combination of all 3.

Accept it and move on. When you are also lv45, you'll have a much better shot at it, though.

Edited by Varicite

This is because you heard that Sentinels were unstoppable and believed it, huh?

No, your level 14 Sentinel pretty much has no chance of ever beating a lv45 Operative, unless they are almost dead, are AFK, unable to react in some manner, or any combination of all 3.

Accept it and move on. When you are also lv45, you'll have a much better shot at it, though.

Actually I tend to almost always play the Tank/warrior classes in MMO's. I've made pretty much every other class, and Sent was the last on my list. I was a little disappointed with Guardian, due to the fact the label 'Tank' doesn't apply to this game all that much. So I decided to go pure DPS with the sent, with more of less the same tanking capabilities, atleast in 10-49 PvP. Granted I haven't gotten very far into either, so I guess I don't have room to talk. :p

Ah okay, so I just need to level up a bit. I guess that makes sense, can't expect a wonder trick to beating a Operative.

I appreciate the answers and help.

To be a tiny bit more helpful, I wouldn't really expect to start dominating as a Sentinel until around lv30ish. You can do well before then, but that is when most of the specs really come into their own.

Around then, w/ good gear, you can realistically expect to beat the level 40+ players if you play well.

A lot of classes come into their own a lot earlier and can succeed even at low levels. Pyro PT is like this, as well as Sorceror. Sniper gets enough abilities to really be a pain around the 20s. Marauders and Sentinels, however, are considered "late bloomers". : )

To be a tiny bit more helpful, I wouldn't really expect to start dominating as a Sentinel until around lv30ish. You can do well before then, but that is when most of the specs really come into their own.

Around then, w/ good gear, you can realistically expect to beat the level 40+ players if you play well.

A lot of classes come into their own a lot earlier and can succeed even at low levels. Pyro PT is like this, as well as Sorceror. Sniper gets enough abilities to really be a pain around the 20s. Marauders and Sentinels, however, are considered "late bloomers". : )

Ah I think I remember being told this months ago about my Guardian haha. Now that I resubbed just recently, I tended to play my Sorc more. Sent's are just pure fun, atleast until I get up against a high Operative which I will do my best to avoid from now on haha.

I'll continue to PvP and level up. Hopefully when I get my new mouse, I won't have to worry about cramping my fingers trying to hit all the quick bar keys on my keyboard. Hopefully taht'll help a little haha.

Thanks again for the reply. It was very helpful.

And all trolling aside you obviously don't completely understand the game yet and I am willing to bet that you are very under geared which really hurts you when bolster kicks in during a WZ.

Not so much trolling as seeking advice in a more heated manner (Which some players gave without a hint of annoyance). :p Also, aren't trolls also the ones who troll, trolls?

That aside, I still never quite understood the bolster system, or how it works. If there's a guide out there that explains it in depth, I'd be glad to be helped out of this pit of innocent ignorance.

*EDIT* Oh and I understand the game quite well. It's pretty much exactly the same as most other MMO's. WHich I have been playing for many years now. It's not about understanding the game as a whole as you so ignorantly assumed. It's about trying to understand a single aspect of the game, and to go more in depth a single aspect of the game's PvP. I appreciate any help with the humility and respect it deserves, but id on't appreciate insults or annoyance while also giving advice, which makes little sense to me.

Edited by Bogezzus

It's fine man, lots of trolls and ignorant people on these forums. Concealment OPs are a bit of a one trick pony, and you got hit with that trick. They actually used to be a lot more lethal but have been nerfed a bit. Even in 50 pvp with WH gear you can get unlucky and they'll crit you to death inside a stun, bad when your CC breaker is on CD. But yeah obviously he has 30 more talent points specced into stuff to do more damage, better gear etc too.

While you may fear an operative at lvl 14, its you and every other AC that gets the last laugh in the end...as they are in pretty bad shape in the 50 bracket, the damage output and burst doesn't scale well with the targets at that point. Or so it seems.

Also you can only be stunned twice before your resolve is full. the opening stun is a 1.5 seconds knock down from hidden strike. Don't break that, use your CC break on the follow up 4 second stun. energy management to try and keep the burst up to take the target down is a real problem for an operative as well. and they are super easy to kill once you have gotten thru the stuns.

Seriously tho. after you get out of 10-49 a concealment operative is prolly your least feared class you face. But in 10-49 they can be a super pain.

I don't understand why BW can't just split PvP into tiers. The fact that your stats get buffed does little to make up for higher levels having that much better gear and that many more abilities. Seems like most answers given here to this problem are along the lines of "well, go level up then", but that just seems kinda screwed up to me that you should have to do that, and that this system excludes low levels from being viable in (and therefore actually enjoying) PvP when there are high levels present. If I have a 45 trooper and I decide I would like to see how a smuggler works out in PvP instead, I shouldn't have to spend all that time leveling it to 45 also just to be worth a crap in PvP.

While I don't know of a good Bolster guide (I think there used to be one stickied, but that may just be my imagination), I'll give you a couple tips to make your experience a bit more pleasurable.

Regarding Operatives, try not to make yourself an "attractive target". This will be kinda difficult, because you are a lowbie Sentinel, and that is already a pretty attractive target for most classes (especially those that know you will be dominating them as soon as you "come of age").

If you know there are stealthers about (or have already died to one recently), try to stay w/ the group. Much like lions, Operatives love to hang out in stealth and pick off the weak antelope. DON'T BE THAT ANTELOPE. Stay w/ your herd (pack? flock?) if you can, so not only will you have support if they do pop out on you, but more people being around will give them less opportunities to get near you w/out being spotted.

Low health... This is like a bright, shining beacon for most players to target and kill you. This is actually directly tied to why most people absolutely HATE Sentinels, because Undying Rage (Guarded by the Force for you) turns that last sliver of your health into 5 seconds of Super Mario Star-mode. People hate being robbed of that killing blow, especially if their assumed killing blow turns around and KILLS THEM instead. ...but I digress, if you're low on health, get to the middle of a group pronto or fully expect to get picked off.

Basically any lone straggler is fair game for a DPS operative, and if you are low enough health to be taken out in a single stunlock (about 60% of your hp), then you can almost guarantee one will be coming for you if they are around. Operatives are fairly squishy outside of stealth, and if they can kill you and drop combat to restealth, that's really a best case scenario for them.

Edited by Varicite

While you may fear an operative at lvl 14, its you and every other AC that gets the last laugh in the end...as they are in pretty bad shape in the 50 bracket, the damage output and burst doesn't scale well with the targets at that point. Or so it seems.

Also you can only be stunned twice before your resolve is full. the opening stun is a 1.5 seconds knock down from hidden strike. Don't break that, use your CC break on the follow up 4 second stun. energy management to try and keep the burst up to take the target down is a real problem for an operative as well. and they are super easy to kill once you have gotten thru the stuns.

Seriously tho. after you get out of 10-49 a concealment operative is prolly your least feared class you face. But in 10-49 they can be a super pain.

This. Not trying to be obnoxious and say L2P, more trying to say accept that at level 14, particularly on a late blooming class like a Sent, you are gonna get stomped. Just grin an bear it till you're the 49 and you can sit there laughing at his little knife dance.

Then get to the 50 queue, where everyone who's been playing longer has not only WH gear that you have to grind weeks/months for, but 14 augment slots on their gear that will end up costing you 3.9 million creds to match. And they will spank you 10x harder than that Operative, and tell you it's not gear, it's skill.

Then get to the 50 queue, where everyone who's been playing longer has not only WH gear that you have to grind weeks/months for, but 14 augment slots on their gear that will end up costing you 3.9 million creds to match. And they will spank you 10x harder than that Operative, and tell you it's not gear, it's skill.

I lol'd at the truth. : )

3 bits of advice.

1: You need to practice fighting Ops and snipers - eventually you will start beating them. At 14 you have simply not put in enough hours to know how to rollover other classes.

2: You will gain more skills to help deal with them later.

3: Stay away from Ops and snipers. Don't get involved or get away.

When you get to 50 you will go through the exact same pain again. You need to learn to avoid them, and not get caught up in a fight with one, unless you have the upperhand. Work with teammates ftw.

And btw, sents can easily roll every other class so don't complain too loudly about having 1 nemesis.

The advice on practising is IMHO, good. At 14 as many have told you, there are skills of vital importance not yet available to you. Movement, staying in the field of vision of team mates and never being alone also help vs stealthers.

For myself, I went to the trainer looked at skills and trees and found that around the lvl 28-30 I gained some useful counters. I have 8 pvp chars, 3 fully BM geared but zero WH geared , so take my advice and discard what does not suit you. Good luck.

Rules of PvP, if an anon pvp forums poster calls you bad, there is a 98% chance they are not the best candidate to be a PvP mentor.