Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Checking In!

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Damask_Rose
11.08.2019 , 07:08 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by varietasplus View Post
Don't make me laugh. Since when playing anything in a game is to be considered special? It's a standard service. Benefiting from the gearing system? Sure, unless you play warzones or want to craft. Furthermore, praising this gear system is quite irritating considering it is inferior in every aspect compared to the 4.x era. Creating something better than 5.x is not an achivement.
Or do quests. Or dailies and weeklies. Or events. Or heroics. Oh, pretty much anything other than flashpoints...

Pandoras_Jar
11.08.2019 , 07:11 PM | #32
Thanks for the Update, Keith!

Really been enjoying the majority of Game Update 6.0 myself. Kudos to the team on a great story, incredible planets and lots of nice QoL changes.

Really glad to hear there are adjustments coming to crafting (and possible gearing adjustments as well)? Both of these areas could really use some work/adjustments cause neither are enjoyable at all in their current state.

Looking forward to what's to come in 6.1 and can't wait to get on the PTS again!
Xam Xam Mercenary BodyguardXam Xam Xami Commando Combat Medic
| SWTOR Content Creator Program Member |
Website: mmobits.com - Onslaught - Game Update 6.0 Gearing Guide - 6.0 Mercenary/Commando PvP Healing Guide - 6.0 Class Guides | Twitter: @Rach_Games
~ Satele Shan - APAC/Oceanic - <Korvus/Corvus> ~

Ylliarus
11.08.2019 , 07:16 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Pandoras_Jar View Post
Thanks for the Update, Keith!

Really been enjoying the majority of Game Update 6.0 myself. Kudos to the team on a great story, incredible planets and lots of nice QoL changes.

Really glad to hear there are adjustments coming to crafting (and possible gearing adjustments as well)? Both of these areas could really use some work/adjustments cause neither are enjoyable at all in their current state.

Looking forward to what's to come in 6.1 and can't wait to get on the PTS again!
It's nice to see reason and positivity haven't been abandoned on these forums entirely!

I agree, I am incredibly fond of the story in Onslaught as I absolutely loved it! It gave me exactly what I hoped for and even more, I'd say. It finally went back to what used to give me the SWTOR feeling back in the good ol' days. Quality-wise I felt playing Onslaught was like playing the class stories and I consider the latter to be the best story content ingame!

Hopefully the changes to gearing and crafting will improve the system and ease people's complaints about them. I'm very eager to see where the story will head in the future so I hope we'll learn some more soon! Maybe another State of the Galaxy article?
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]
SWTOR Player since November 25th, 2012
And here is my referral link!

Rolodome
11.08.2019 , 07:26 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Sadly, you're absolutely right. Even if Bioware turned the world upside down and went three times to the galaxy's core and back in order to please their playerbase, people would keep complaining and moaning. It's ludicrous how unsatisfied with everything some people are.
This is technically true.

Some other things that are technically true:
- h2o is a chemical with some nasty side effects and can be very dangerous
- Lord of the Rings movies are about a group spending 9 hours returning jewelry

In reality, if Bioware "turned the world upside down and went three times to the galaxy's core and back in order to please their playerbase," there would technically still be complaining and moaning, but it's also obvious that there would likely be significantly less of it.

However, there's an important distinction to be had between "going above and beyond" and "giving someone what they ask for." If I go to a restaurant and order a simple peanut butter sandwich, and I'm given a 3 course gourmet meal, with no peanut butter or sandwich in sight, that could qualify as the restaurant going "above and beyond," but I think it's fair to say that I'm under no obligation to be pleased with not being brought what I asked for. So it's not always enough, or the sensible thing, to go above and beyond in the first place. Sometimes one just needs to listen and give people what they ask for, which may require going above and beyond, or it may require letting the air escape an inflated ego so that one can hear things that aren't filtered through one's reinterpretation of something that a person plainly said.

Bioware austin has some apparent problems with the whole reinterpreting thing, though it's anyone's guess as to whether it's an ego issue, a money/profits-related issue, a communications team issue, or something else entirely, such as them simply having little interest in listening to what people have to say and only pretending to care when the communication deficit reaches a boiling point. (Frankly, bioware austin communication feels a lot like when you get an email, forget to reply for a while, and then every time you remember, you think "oh it's too late to answer now, it'd be too awkward", but you gotta reply at some point or you're really having problems, so eventually you write a reply and you can't help apologizing because on the inside, you feel very strongly that you neglected it. Then you repeat this over and over on a regular basis.)

You can't please a large crowd of people into pure praise or silence, but you sure can reduce it and you sure can foster loyalty among those who believe in what you're doing. But it's kind of impossible to do the latter if it's clear as mud what you're doing and how you intend to go about it. Not to be confused with things like roadmaps, which are only a tiny part of explaining what you're doing and how you intend to go about it, and don't really get into the things that build trust, like being consistent on things that are important to you, taking time to go back and forth with people in some public context, and (perhaps most importantly) keeping to your word; something bioware austin doesn't seem to know the meaning of.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

swiftrav
11.08.2019 , 07:31 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
What did you expect, they just released an entire expansion and you're behaving as if we haven't had new content for ages. Seriously, don't be this impatient. New content will come in due time, but they just released a really big thing that took them a lot of resources and time to develop. The devs are only people, just like you and me.
While I agree with temperment of being patient about so this to a degree. Haven't we be patient for the last 6 year? On the other hand of your point this was an update not an expansion. I like a lot of what they did to make people run content again I do but go look at anyother MMO that has recently put out an expansion and compair it to what we just got I think you notice the difference. The backlash while some of it is over the top it to be expected with the history of content and development release cycle that we keep going through if stuff not being fully work and still put out that feels have finished. I understand the the dev's are people and they are trying but to me there really need to be more effort behind the trying part. One thing I like to point at is the story of FF14 and it fail to redemption arc. That more companies should heed in what could be if you reinvest in your products. I love star wars and think in the end we all want the same thing better treat of the game by the powers that be.

robtadams
11.08.2019 , 07:34 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey everyone,

Snip - - - 8< - - -

We fixed a number of bugs a week following the expansion and we have a number of additional bug fixes being released in next week’s patch likely on Thursday the 14th of November 2019. I know we usually release on Tuesday, but there’s a few items we want to include in this patch, so we gave the team an extra couple days.

Snip - - - 8< - - -
Can we please -- please -- get some acknowledgment of the stronghold invite bug and some assurance that there's a fix forthcoming?

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=970111

Ylliarus
11.08.2019 , 07:35 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
This is technically true.

Some other things that are technically true:
- h2o is a chemical with some nasty side effects and can be very dangerous
- Lord of the Rings movies are about a group spending 9 hours returning jewelry

In reality, if Bioware "turned the world upside down and went three times to the galaxy's core and back in order to please their playerbase," there would technically still be complaining and moaning, but it's also obvious that there would likely be significantly less of it.

However, there's an important distinction to be had between "going above and beyond" and "giving someone what they ask for." If I go to a restaurant and order a simple peanut butter sandwich, and I'm given a 3 course gourmet meal, with no peanut butter or sandwich in sight, that could qualify as the restaurant going "above and beyond," but I think it's fair to say that I'm under no obligation to be pleased with not being brought what I asked for. So it's not always enough, or the sensible thing, to go above and beyond in the first place. Sometimes one just needs to listen and give people what they ask for, which may require going above and beyond, or it may require letting the air escape an inflated ego so that one can hear things that aren't filtered through one's reinterpretation of something that a person plainly said.

Bioware austin has some apparent problems with the whole reinterpreting thing, though it's anyone's guess as to whether it's an ego issue, a money/profits-related issue, a communications team issue, or something else entirely, such as them simply having little interest in listening to what people have to say and only pretending to care when the communication deficit reaches a boiling point. (Frankly, bioware austin communication feels a lot like when you get an email, forget to reply for a while, and then every time you remember, you think "oh it's too late to answer now, it'd be too awkward", but you gotta reply at some point or you're really having problems, so eventually you write a reply and you can't help apologizing because on the inside, you feel very strongly that you neglected it. Then you repeat this over and over on a regular basis.)

You can't please a large crowd of people into pure praise or silence, but you sure can reduce it and you sure can foster loyalty among those who believe in what you're doing. But it's kind of impossible to do the latter if it's clear as mud what you're doing and how you intend to go about it. Not to be confused with things like roadmaps, which are only a tiny part of explaining what you're doing and how you intend to go about it, and don't really get into the things that build trust, like being consistent on things that are important to you, taking time to go back and forth with people in some public context, and (perhaps most importantly) keeping to your word; something bioware austin doesn't seem to know the meaning of.
There is truth in what you say, but there's also truth in the fact that people can ask too much.

If I go to a restaurant that serves fish and suddenly start demanding a medium rare, big meaty steak, then I'm asking for the impossible at that restaurant and will never get what I want there.

The same goes for SWTOR. Yes, there is a lack of communication that has been present in this game for ages. I can't even remember when someone didn't complain about this and most of the times, the criticism directed at communication was warranted. But in light of SWTOR's resources and manpower, I feel like people are too often demanding big bloody steaks at a restaurant serving fish.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]

Toraak
11.08.2019 , 07:35 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by varietasplus View Post
What kind of statistics are you referring to? I would like to see percentages.

Don't make me laugh. Since when playing anything in a game is to be considered special? It's a standard service. Benefiting from the gearing system? Sure, unless you play warzones or want to craft. Furthermore, praising this gear system is quite irritating considering it is inferior in every aspect compared to the 4.x era. Creating something better than 5.x is not an achivement.

It is almost amusing how you ignore Darth Malgus being unplayable on high-end computers in certain countries/ISP in prime time.

What exactly had you been looking at hard in the PTS phase then? Hadn't there be anyone to tell you how absurd it was? Don't bother, we already know the answer.

lol this is funny. the 4.x era of gearing was a lot worse then this.
1) you can get to 306 in only a few days of effort,
2) you can get all 7 set pieces easily in 1 week for a character (including tactical)
3) you can get gear from ANY activity in the game easily.
4) the 4.x era of gearing was HORRIBLE!!!

Yes some ways are faster then others, but this is going to happen no matter what the gearing system looks like
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

Trobon
11.08.2019 , 07:37 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by swiftrav View Post
While I agree with temperment of being patient about so this to a degree. Haven't we be patient for the last 6 year? On the other hand of your point this was an update not an expansion. I like a lot of what they did to make people run content again I do but go look at anyother MMO that has recently put out an expansion and compair it to what we just got I think you notice the difference. The backlash while some of it is over the top it to be expected with the history of content and development release cycle that we keep going through if stuff not being fully work and still put out that feels have finished. I understand the the dev's are people and they are trying but to me there really need to be more effort behind the trying part. One thing I like to point at is the story of FF14 and it fail to redemption arc. That more companies should heed in what could be if you reinvest in your products. I love star wars and think in the end we all want the same thing better treat of the game by the powers that be.
Showing disdain at the idea of a 3-4 month period between a large content patch and the next content patch (over Christmas) isn't going to make EA any more or less likely to reinvest in the game. Do you think the Devs are like "well I think our budget is enough, more would only make things worse"? They obviously want to deliver the most content they can and would like as big a budget as possible.

So when Keith comes on here and describes a plan to deliver a small dose of content in a month and a larger does in 3-4 that seems like a pretty big step. They can't snap their fingers and deliver 6.1 next month and no amount of whining is going to change that. What it may change is their interest in making these kinds of announcements in the future.

Again, that's not saying people shouldn't post criticism. Someone posted about how there is no mention of PvP rewards being altered to work with the gearing system better. That's a legitimate criticism. Being upset that the next content update isn't coming out before Christmas really isn't.

Ylliarus
11.08.2019 , 07:42 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Trobon View Post
Showing disdain at the idea of a 3-4 month period between a large content patch and the next content patch (over Christmas) isn't going to make EA any more or less likely to reinvest in the game. Do you think the Devs are like "well I think our budget is enough, more would only make things worse"? They obviously want to deliver the most content they can and would like as big a budget as possible.

So when Keith comes on here and describes a plan to deliver a small dose of content in a month and a larger does in 3-4 that seems like a pretty big step. They can't snap their fingers and deliver 6.1 next month and no amount of whining is going to change that. What it may change is their interest in making these kinds of announcements in the future.

Again, that's not saying people shouldn't post criticism. Someone posted about how there is no mention of PvP rewards being altered to work with the gearing system better. That's a legitimate criticism. Being upset that the next content update isn't coming out before Christmas really isn't.
Frankly, people complain about a lack of communication from Bioware, not realising that most of the time they're the reason why the devs avoid the forums. I remember all the times that Charles Boyd or others came to the forums and were outright attacked by posters for the most ludicrous of things. There's a reason why I keep hearing most players are avoiding these forums like the plague, because people here are constantly malcontent and hostile to anything that disagrees with them. So are we surprised the devs stay away from communicating with us here?
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]