Gear Issues

Carambole

So. Past level 30 I started to notice a difference in enemy difficulty. First I thought **** I need better gear. Then I Started to alternate my companions to gain an edge. Then I started to think **** I need better gear.

So. My question is at level 37. ***?

Successfully playing this game requires 3 things. Gear, skills and knowing how to use your companion. Some companions are better than others in differing circumstances. If you are finding that your companion dies to fast, try turning off some of their skills, especially AOE skills.

So. Past level 30 I started to notice a difference in enemy difficulty. First I thought **** I need better gear. Then I Started to alternate my companions to gain an edge. Then I started to think **** I need better gear.

So. My question is at level 37. ***?

Are you also keeping your companions' gears upgraded? Have you been doing Flashpoints for the loot? Maybe there are a couple of things you still need to understand about playing your class?

Many people have reported seeing a difficulty step up at around level 30. I certainly did. Whether it's the time your 'default' companion gear stops coming quickly enough (meaning you have to make sure you actively upgrade 'em), or if it's the first time they feel so overlevel for the next planet, they skim it and go to the next-but-one planet at even level, which is novel, having overlevelled the content since level 10, or if the content does just get a smidge harder at that point, I couldn't say.

It's not an impossible jump, but it means you have to pay more attention sometimes, IME.

We could help with more specific advice if we knew your class.

But.. definitely, keep your own gear and at least your favorite companion's gear upgraded. Also, you want to make sure that you're using your abilities to your fullest - look into keybinding your abilities to convenient spots on your keyboard, and *read* them.

Things that disable monsters, that interrupt or freeze them temporarily, that lower the damage you take, that reposition monsters, get you out of range of them.. this is all stuff you should know about your character; I guarantee you have tools that'll help. The game is.. not so much killing monsters quickly as making sure that they do as little damage as possible to you; sometimes that's killing them quickly, and sometimes that's freezing a boss monster while you take out his companions, etc. I just say.. experiment with ALL your abilities :).

Are you also keeping your companions' gears upgraded? Have you been doing Flashpoints for the loot? Maybe there are a couple of things you still need to understand about playing your class?

This! If your compaion's gear gets too outdated then their healing or DPS or ability to tank REALLY suffers. Not to mention the fact that their health pool become VERY low compared to the mobs you're fighting so they die really fast. So definitely make sure you are keeping your companion's gear upgraded as much as possible.

AND! Make sure you are upgrading your weapons, too. If you have an orange weapon, make sure that you AT LEAST keep the lightsaber hilt or blaster barrel upgraded to your current level. Those are the parts that determine the base damage/stats for the weapon. If they get outdated, they can leave you extremely underpowered. And the same goes for your companion's weapons. Even if you neglect the other mods on a weapon, make sure to keep the hilt/barrel upgraded.

People focus too much on just gear.

A level 30 may have just gotten into Alderaan, and yes, the game does get a bit harder at that point, even if you have a decent gear for your level.

Need to start apply better tactics and use all the special abilities of your class to their full advantage.

People focus too much on just gear.

Gear matters.

I just went back to Nar Shadda to do an Aric Jordan quest. I've levelled to 31, and the mobs in the "bonus" area are about 28-30. I can't even kill a single lone Strong before it kills me, because the majority of my gear is 10 levels out of date, because I've just been Space Missioning and crafting with that character since finishing the class quest on NS.