You want to work on minimizing toxicity? Get rid of solo ranked entirely.

Raazmir

First, let me say that I am a devoted PVP player, since Ultima Online. World of Warcraft. And SWTOR as a "founder". I only play the game for PVP, and I only play PVE when it is required for PVP play.

Now, let me tell you about toxicity. Toxicity usually comes from hardcore players who want fame and glory. To them, adversarial gameplay itself is not a means to joy, but rather bragging rights. True, especially in the early days, WoW encouraged this. The insane grind to get that OP weapon only given to a single top player who acquired the most honor points. And let me tell you about these people, as I knew several of them personally. They played day and night, often skipping sleep. As it is in the real world, they learned eventually organized warfare of an army is the key to winning. They became tyrants. Many less proficient players were either scolded and kicked out. All this pathetic drama for a game that is meant to be enjoyed.

Blizzard began to see the toxicity in this system, so they made ranked PvP more casual. It was either 4v4 or 2v2, and PVP gear was no longer the One Ring to Rule Them All. PVP gear became acquirable for people who had a life other than WoW. In these days, I personally led a 4v4 team. We were a mediocre team, not at the top, but not at the bottom either. Teammates made mistakes, but we just encourage each other, that this is just a game, and people can make mistakes. The team consisted of college students and older adults with jobs and wives, so we were just grateful that other teammates showed up on time to have a good time. And in those times, PVP was just great in WoW. When you didn't have a team, you can go on 2v2 matches. There was also faction PVP. I still remember when I lead the charge against all the capitals of the Horde, killing their leaders, and leaving them in ruin full of skeletons of our sworn enemies. That was a PVP system where both casual players like myself and hardcore players, many of whom were involved in e-sports, can enjoy without scolding other players. Actually, such toxic players who made a habit of scolding other less capable players often were challenged to a one-on-one duel by famous top-class PVPers. These one-on-one duels were not just simple duels, the losers had to delete the account.

You blame the less capable players for sucking at PVP teamplay, and they deserve the scolding by others. You are the kind of player who drive players away from ranked PVP. I remember a few years ago when I first played tried a ranked PVP round. The response I got was, "hey, why does this dude don't have any adrenals on?" Not just once, but throughout the game. I never again played ranked PVP in that season. So in my opinion, it is players like you that ruined ranked PVP in SWTOR. You argue that PVE also requires coordination. But PVE is against predictable gameplay. As long as you know how each boss fights progress, casual players can participate and enjoy the run. But in PVP, players are more unpredictable. They have different strategies. There's a much more steeper learning curve and requires a lot more time and training to become a useful player for demanding players like you. I'm not saying PVE is less challenging than PVP; there are those pioneers who venture into the complete unknown. It is they who figure out how the system works, and make it far easier for those that follow. But those pioneers know that they are all in a situation where they are being seriously challenged and finding it difficult. They encourage each other. Not scolding each other. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but they become laughingstocks at YouTube.

What SWTOR needs to do to revitalize PVP is NOT more toxic team-oriented ranked PVP. What SWTOR needs is a 2v2 ranked PVP, or even a 1v1 ranked PVP. It is detrimental to have casual or solo-oriented PVP players be forced to join a group, which often have toxic players. It just makes more and more players avoid ranked PVP. But more importantly, SWTOR needs faction-based PVP and more field PVP. Most of the field needs to be PVP-only, with only very few limited zones retaining the current system where players can play in avoid PVP. Some of the more enjoyable experiences I had in recent months was the swoop racing event, which attracted enough players from opposite factions to cause some field PVP. There should also be massive instanced-PVP of 16v16 to 32v32 where true teamplay and team victory can take place, not some small band of four players who dare think they have the entitlement of defining players trying to enjoy PVP as toxic undesirables. To make it blunt, it is players like you that ruined ranked PVP, not the players who tried to try it out.

SWTOR's downfall is when it chose to become what is essentially a PVE game. What made WoW so successful is its PVP element and factional adversary. Most early WoW players became emotional vested and devoted to PVP gameplay when the Horde players were slaughtered mercilessly in the Gurubashi Jungle, and Alliance players suffered the same when the Horde players took their revenge in Southshore. It's not that SWTOR didn't try. In the beginning of SWTOR, the Dev team tried this out in Illum, but the players ended up going round and round trying to get those crates rather than fighting. And with a declining player base, PVP and PVE servers were merged, making field PVP optional for all players. That's when SWTOR died. SWTOR became a single player game. With a few PVE gameplay at the end. The PVP player base became so thin that PVP matches began mixing Imps and Pubs in the same team.

And this thin PVP player base resulted in exclusive groups of PVP players like you who think 8v8 ranked PVP is the answer to revitalizing PVP in a game where PVP is dead. Something like that will only make more exclusive group of players as a 8 player team needs more coordination to win in high-stakes competition, and this means more and more players get defined as toxic players by these exclusive groups and they just resort to PVE or entirely leaving the game. A non-ranked faction-based 8v8~16v16 warzone(not an arena, a warzone where either factions progressively advance against the other like battleground in WoW or campaign mode in Battlefield) would do far better to increase the PVP player base in SWTOR. This is a tested PVP system, in WoW and also in other genres, like Battlefield. This is when real teamplay and strategy takes places, and roles of different classes actually become relevant to PVP, such as a group of stealth units going behind the lines, AoE units pushing and defending lines of battle, tanks bravely charging in to push the line, and healers trying to keep those tanks alive so that the team can advance to victory.

Currently, the PVP player in SWTOR is so thin and the PVP system is so lacking in content that it needs a major overhaul. If SWTOR really wants to succeed, it should add faction-based campaign-mode warzones where many players can enjoy PVP together with a sense of us vs. them roleplaying, where the large size of players involved can ignore a few toxic players who whine about other players sucking at gameplay. And where we don't see Imps and Pubs being in the same team, as if any Star Wars advertisement where Palpatine and Yoda fight side by side against Darth Vader and Saw Gerrera can be any appeasing to Star Wars fans at all. And with the PVP player base being so thin at the moment, if SWTOR direly wants ranked PVP, it needs to be 1v1 or at least 2v2, because there aren't enough PVP players around, and especially with players with this "hey, you're not good enough for the team, so get out of ranked PVP" mindset. It's common sense. This will just further thin out ranked PVP with players getting discouraged from playing by these toxic players.

My guess is that SWTOR actually knew the direction PVP should take, but there were inherent server issues that limited such large-scale gameplay. If so, SWTOR is a dead game, and it's just better to wait for the next Star Wars MMORPG than to invest any further into this game. If not, SWTOR should take some risk and do some major rework, and maybe SWTOR will gain a lot larger player base where we can really start enjoying the game to the fullest.

You probably won't get many replies to this post, as your writing and thinking is way too sense for a lot of rock heads hammering their keyboards in SWTOR PVP, but I'd like you to know that you are spot on.

I agree with everything you said.

I'd like to add the fact that now, since the PVP community is a lot thinner than it was in season 8 for example, the toxicity levels are quite reasonable. It's a lot less toxic than it used to be. Some players I've encountered over the years were absolutely pure cancer. My ignore list is mostly full of these life forms I have no words to express and I've always wondered how can someone be so low life of a being to abuse and harass, bully... humiliate someone for losing in a video game. I think this is mental.. and needs professional help.

I was complete noob back then. and oblivious to a lot of game mechanics and 1% of the players actually tried to help me or gave me tips, and I did ask them. Why would they help anyway when their only interest is to farm you and boost their ratings. :rolleyes:

In ranked you have only one choice. You develop a thick skin and keep queing all the time and play through all the hate and insults you might encounter. Also, as soon as you hit the que button, you should accept the fact that you might be the target of some good trash talking ( if you aren't experienced player), but there isn't any other way to improve. Regs will help you to a limited extent only.

As for improving PVP... I don't think this current team will bring anything that is ground breaking to ranked. It's been many many years and the complaints, requests are mostly the same, but there were so positive changes like toxicity reduction by removing vote kick .So it's not like they aren't listening to us.. but with limited resources, there isn't much that they can do.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say that I am a devoted PVP player, since Ultima Online. World of Warcraft. And SWTOR as a "founder". I only play the game for PVP, and I only play PVE when it is required for PVP play.

Now, let me tell you about toxicity. Toxicity usually comes from hardcore players who want fame and glory. To them, adversarial gameplay itself is not a means to joy, but rather bragging rights. True, especially in the early days, WoW encouraged this. The insane grind to get that OP weapon only given to a single top player who acquired the most honor points. And let me tell you about these people, as I knew several of them personally. They played day and night, often skipping sleep. As it is in the real world, they learned eventually organized warfare of an army is the key to winning. They became tyrants. Many less proficient players were either scolded and kicked out. All this pathetic drama for a game that is meant to be enjoyed.

Blizzard began to see the toxicity in this system, so they made ranked PvP more casual. It was either 4v4 or 2v2, and PVP gear was no longer the One Ring to Rule Them All. PVP gear became acquirable for people who had a life other than WoW. In these days, I personally led a 4v4 team. We were a mediocre team, not at the top, but not at the bottom either. Teammates made mistakes, but we just encourage each other, that this is just a game, and people can make mistakes. The team consisted of college students and older adults with jobs and wives, so we were just grateful that other teammates showed up on time to have a good time. And in those times, PVP was just great in WoW. When you didn't have a team, you can go on 2v2 matches. There was also faction PVP. I still remember when I lead the charge against all the capitals of the Horde, killing their leaders, and leaving them in ruin full of skeletons of our sworn enemies. That was a PVP system where both casual players like myself and hardcore players, many of whom were involved in e-sports, can enjoy without scolding other players. Actually, such toxic players who made a habit of scolding other less capable players often were challenged to a one-on-one duel by famous top-class PVPers. These one-on-one duels were not just simple duels, the losers had to delete the account.

You blame the less capable players for sucking at PVP teamplay, and they deserve the scolding by others. You are the kind of player who drive players away from ranked PVP. I remember a few years ago when I first played tried a ranked PVP round. The response I got was, "hey, why does this dude don't have any adrenals on?" Not just once, but throughout the game. I never again played ranked PVP in that season. So in my opinion, it is players like you that ruined ranked PVP in SWTOR. You argue that PVE also requires coordination. But PVE is against predictable gameplay. As long as you know how each boss fights progress, casual players can participate and enjoy the run. But in PVP, players are more unpredictable. They have different strategies. There's a much more steeper learning curve and requires a lot more time and training to become a useful player for demanding players like you. I'm not saying PVE is less challenging than PVP; there are those pioneers who venture into the complete unknown. It is they who figure out how the system works, and make it far easier for those that follow. But those pioneers know that they are all in a situation where they are being seriously challenged and finding it difficult. They encourage each other. Not scolding each other. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but they become laughingstocks at YouTube.

What SWTOR needs to do to revitalize PVP is NOT more toxic team-oriented ranked PVP. What SWTOR needs is a 2v2 ranked PVP, or even a 1v1 ranked PVP. It is detrimental to have casual or solo-oriented PVP players be forced to join a group, which often have toxic players. It just makes more and more players avoid ranked PVP. But more importantly, SWTOR needs faction-based PVP and more field PVP. Most of the field needs to be PVP-only, with only very few limited zones retaining the current system where players can play in avoid PVP. Some of the more enjoyable experiences I had in recent months was the swoop racing event, which attracted enough players from opposite factions to cause some field PVP. There should also be massive instanced-PVP of 16v16 to 32v32 where true teamplay and team victory can take place, not some small band of four players who dare think they have the entitlement of defining players trying to enjoy PVP as toxic undesirables. To make it blunt, it is players like you that ruined ranked PVP, not the players who tried to try it out.

SWTOR's downfall is when it chose to become what is essentially a PVE game. What made WoW so successful is its PVP element and factional adversary. Most early WoW players became emotional vested and devoted to PVP gameplay when the Horde players were slaughtered mercilessly in the Gurubashi Jungle, and Alliance players suffered the same when the Horde players took their revenge in Southshore. It's not that SWTOR didn't try. In the beginning of SWTOR, the Dev team tried this out in Illum, but the players ended up going round and round trying to get those crates rather than fighting. And with a declining player base, PVP and PVE servers were merged, making field PVP optional for all players. That's when SWTOR died. SWTOR became a single player game. With a few PVE gameplay at the end. The PVP player base became so thin that PVP matches began mixing Imps and Pubs in the same team.

And this thin PVP player base resulted in exclusive groups of PVP players like you who think 8v8 ranked PVP is the answer to revitalizing PVP in a game where PVP is dead. Something like that will only make more exclusive group of players as a 8 player team needs more coordination to win in high-stakes competition, and this means more and more players get defined as toxic players by these exclusive groups and they just resort to PVE or entirely leaving the game. A non-ranked faction-based 8v8~16v16 warzone(not an arena, a warzone where either factions progressively advance against the other like battleground in WoW or campaign mode in Battlefield) would do far better to increase the PVP player base in SWTOR. This is a tested PVP system, in WoW and also in other genres, like Battlefield. This is when real teamplay and strategy takes places, and roles of different classes actually become relevant to PVP, such as a group of stealth units going behind the lines, AoE units pushing and defending lines of battle, tanks bravely charging in to push the line, and healers trying to keep those tanks alive so that the team can advance to victory.

Currently, the PVP player in SWTOR is so thin and the PVP system is so lacking in content that it needs a major overhaul. If SWTOR really wants to succeed, it should add faction-based campaign-mode warzones where many players can enjoy PVP together with a sense of us vs. them roleplaying, where the large size of players involved can ignore a few toxic players who whine about other players sucking at gameplay. And where we don't see Imps and Pubs being in the same team, as if any Star Wars advertisement where Palpatine and Yoda fight side by side against Darth Vader and Saw Gerrera can be any appeasing to Star Wars fans at all. And with the PVP player base being so thin at the moment, if SWTOR direly wants ranked PVP, it needs to be 1v1 or at least 2v2, because there aren't enough PVP players around, and especially with players with this "hey, you're not good enough for the team, so get out of ranked PVP" mindset. It's common sense. This will just further thin out ranked PVP with players getting discouraged from playing by these toxic players.

My guess is that SWTOR actually knew the direction PVP should take, but there were inherent server issues that limited such large-scale gameplay. If so, SWTOR is a dead game, and it's just better to wait for the next Star Wars MMORPG than to invest any further into this game. If not, SWTOR should take some risk and do some major rework, and maybe SWTOR will gain a lot larger player base where we can really start enjoying the game to the fullest.

Wouldn't be surprise if you get an infraction for speaking intelligent. George Lucas should it had know better than to gave exclusive rights to EA, but the old man is on his last leg. Guess he just wanted star Wars legacy to continue after he's gone; and like all bad relations; I assume it sound it great what EA propose to him for the exclusive rights.

EA just took the money and ran. For sure this game is death/dead

I2 play WoW and is true what you say; they do keep things in line.

We can only hope that Walt Disney get's into the mmo of things/ buy the exclusive rights or build a better mmo star wars franchise.

Excellent post;

Thank you for your time..

Not a bad post, but I would like to point out a few reasons for a couple of things.

1. The one and only reason we now have cross faction matches (we did not always) is because player numbers got so low that at certain times of the day the queue wouldn’t pop for one faction (usually reps) and most matches that did pop would be the same faction vs same faction (usually imp v imp).

2. When rep v imp matches popped, the losers would start to gravitate (on alts) to the winning faction and after a little time, we’d be back to same v same again because too many people wanted to be carried.

I’m an old school WoW tragic from its launch. I understand and agree with your assessment as to why WoW pvp has been so successful. Especially as people were passionate about their faction.

Sadly, I’ve never come across that same devoted passion in swtor or I should say rarely (it’s not common) and I’ve played non stop since day one. Swtor players missed out on a real open world like WoW because you have too many segregated areas due to the story / voice acting taking precedence (ie, can’t have Sith nvading Coruscant again as it would ruin the story BioWare was trying to tell). Invading Stormwind as a raid group was one of those unique WoW experiences.

Which brings me to an important point. This games engine is what has always held it back with pvp. For better or worse (mostly worse), the engine is so limited that open world pvp of more than 8 peeps turns into a major lagfest. That makes raiding cities or planets impossible to implement in swtor. It is al impossible to have larger battle maps like WoW has with 16v16 or 32v32. Which is sad because that might have been what I as needed to get players passionate about the factions.

Most of the games pvp development since 2.0 has been around ranked 4s. That’s part of the problem because even in a successful game like WoW, only a small percentage of the games total pvp players actually play it. So most of WoWs pvp development has been made for the wider player base. The removal of 8v8 ranked drove a lot of pvp player from the game. BioWare not listening or more to the point, acting on player feed back for 8 years after (until more recently) is another reason the game has lost so many players. The problem is there are so few now that anything they can do won’t bring enough players back to warrant big changes like an upgraded engine or a total make over.

The game is 10 years live now. It’s been badly neglected for much of its life and BioWare have ignored the player feedback (until recently). The game is now old and as much as some of us live the game, I think deep down we know pvp is in its death throes. Of course Pve will keep on going for many years to come. But I think us pvpers have a choice, we either accept that swtor pvp is never going to be a WoW type of experience or we find another game.

My hope was they would make swtor 2 on a different engine and the way this game should have been. But I’m resigned to the fact that isn’t likely to ever happen, at least in my remaining life of being able to play computer games. At age 50 and arthritis, even if they announced tomorrow they were going to make it, it’d be 6-8 years and I’d be nearly 60.

So I’m kind of locked into going down with this swtor ship as it will probable be the last MMO I’ll play. I’ve 20,000+ hours invested, I can’t ever see that happening with another game for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Toxic behavior is already defined as harassment. If you don't like someone you can ignore them. if they happened to miss gender one of your 213761827361genders you can ignore them.

if they rolled N on an item not for their class , you can ignore them.

Ignore is a powerful tool to allow you and them to enjoy the game with out behaviors that violate your personal safe space policy, definition of hate speech or gender , no matter how many times a week it changes.

Suffering from Trump Derangement syndrome and tired of general chat being flooded with Trump talk? /ignore

Suffering from random newbies talking about their *****es, Chuck Norris jokes or who did what to whos mom? /ignore

Someone not RPing as YOU think they should /ignore

Its not that hard and its a hell of a lot easier than real life where you sometimes have to grow up, suck it up and realize that the world does not revolve around you or your life style, play style or gender choice...

Ignore is a powerful tool to allow you and them to enjoy the game with out behaviors that violate your personal safe space policy, definition of hate speech or gender , no matter how many times a week it changes.

If it’s working that is.... Problem is the ignore feature is currently broken for many. People on ignore can still message you and you don’t seem to be able to permanently remove someone off your ignore list.

It worked better before they tried to add legacy ignore,

there are multiple reasons why solo ranked is a toxic cesspool

#1 The match making hasn't worked that well since 4.0. With the lowered player base the "brackets" are filled with people of all skill levels. instead of having different tiers of queues like it used to. Now 1k rated players are thrown into higher tier matches and the more "skilled" players who still takes solo ranked seriously get mad when noob players can't perform well.

#2 You have the healer and tank roulette. Your decent tank and healer will sit on the fleet and spam "Tanks or heals queue solo ranked" in which some random person on the fleet will see it and queue up. 9 times out of the 10 that random person queuing up is not very good at all. If you have a bad tank on your team that can't guard swap it's usually a gg at that point. Which causes people to furiously beat their keyboards.

#3 is just a pure lack of player base. There is probably 150~ different people queuing for solo ranked actively in the current state of the game. Everyone is all up in each others ****. Lack of cross server has never helped anything. Generally you know if you've lost before the game even starts which causes people to be frustrated with the weaker players on their teams and eventually some people explode on them.

#4. Solo ranked is toxic cesspool in every game that has it.

Enjoy the game for what it is, a star wars mmo. eventually the game will die off completely and hopefully a new star wars mmo will be made on a better engine, with cross server, actually adding content and expansions that isn't just scaling up old raids to the highest level for 6years and adding junk to the cash shop every week and hopefully with devs who actually care and can balance a game. oh and devs who don't reskin old season pvp rewards because they're too lazy to make new ones. :)