Gearing in pvp is broken / bugged because it drops gear well below iRating

TrixxieTriss

Bioware, iRating drops in pvp are bugged or broken. They don’t drop higher or even vertical iRated gear.

I’ve personally got iRating 306, but the highest amount of gear that I’ve had drop in pvp is 292.

Other players who aren’t 306 are reporting the same thing and some can’t get past 271 after 4 days of play.

So they can’t increase their iRating as it won’t drop high enough gear.

This makes it impossible to just gear up in pvp. It’s already abysmally slow in pvp because the gear drops are about 1/10th what you get from doing pve group content. This is NOT “Play your way”

If you want to drive more pvpers out of the game, this is a good way to do it because not all of them want to grind flash points to gear up fast enough to play pvp.

1. You need to fix the iRated gear to drop correctly

2. Increase the rate you can earn gear or increase the amount of tech frags so gear can be bought from the vendor(s)

PLEASE FIX THIS FOR PVPERS.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Agreed. I reported this in the bug forums (and also with an in-game bug report) here...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=970387

It's really frustrating to get an "exciting rng box" (heh - right) and then it's bugged anyway so that we don't even get the RNG we are supposed to. And this has been happening a LOT, to me anyway. And as Trixie says, others are reporting the same thing.

I've played hours and hours of PvP on one toon over 4 or 5 days, and had gotten to iLevel 271 via PvP. And by that time I was getting mostly 268 and 270 gear from the boxes still. (Also in the renowned box by the way - same thing - gear below my ilevel). By way of comparison, I finally caved and did some PvE. I did a total of 6 story mode flashpoints so far, taking about 1.5 hours. My ilevel is up to 277. There's just no fair comparison in gearing between those two modes. As Trixie already said... that's not "play your way".

Looking back all these years of XP/CXP/Renown gains in PVP (especially in regs) as opposed to PVE, you can no longer bear good will towards the developers and make a simple presumption of a bug. This is working as intended . Just look at the weekly rewards, even completing GSF takes fraction of time/effort, yet provides multiple fragments.

So the real question is: Devs, why do you hate us PVPers so much? Is the current gearing system a retaliation for the endless criticism of class balance? It has to be, along with the Blade Blitz/Force Camouflage set bonus, which is rather like trolling PVPers than an April's Fool kinda joke.

FYI my PVP guild mates are already about to puke about the endless PVE grind you have forced them into, not a single warzone have we played since expansion release. You simply made PVP pointless: once we have the gear via PVE, there will be no incentive left to play PVP.

Edited by varietasplus

As a solo player, what has really helped me has been running tier 10&11 treasure hunting lock boxes. Unfortunately left side rarely drops in those, but I have my right side all at 276 thanks to them. I'd still be at 268 if it weren't for those as solo content outside of solo flashpoints have pretty much non-existent drops. I expect they will nerf treasure hunting long before they buff drops in under-performing content. It is clearly "play your way, unless you want gear, then play our way."

Not only it drops worse gear compared to ilvl, it almost never drops set bonus gear which according to patch notes has increased drop chance from pvp crates (for example, set bonus which increases crit with supercharge stacks). Same with tactical items. Those set gear and tacticals which have increased chance drop from flash points or weeklies are dropping like mushrooms on autumn after rain... that why i hate rng. You never know what real chances of drops devs made for pvp, pve, story etc. And i dont trust them esp seeing drops from flash points and ranked

I'm beginning to think this either is by design, and through *all* gear drops, or is a bug everywhere, and for some reason has just been more noticeable in PvP. I ran through a Boarding Party flashpoint while at iLevel 281, and I got every single gear drop below iLevel 281. I had a few at 280, and most were below even that, with a few down to 274.

So then, thinking maybe I needed to run something harder than a story-mode flashpoint, I ran red reaper again in vet mode. While I did manage to get two pieces of 282 gear, I still got a huge majority of gear well below that level. Again, some down to 274 greens.

And yeah, I haven't seen a single set bonus piece of gear drop from any pvp crate.

I wish bioware would chime in and say if they think this is a bug or not. But I think it is. I didn't find much in the patch notes about how gear drops actually work, but there was this about renown crates...

"...and all Crates award gear relevant to your character’s currently selected Discipline and average item rating."

I have opened renown crates and gotten only gear that is lower than my i-level. I don't know how anyone could possible claim that getting something below my current level is "relavant to your character's...average item rating".

I also found this in one of Eric's posts on the PTS forum about how gearing works...

"When you first enter Onslaught you will be getting green drops. You will quickly get to an item rating where blue items start dropping and once that happens, you will no longer get green drops. "

And again, that's NOT what I'm seeing. I'm still getting green drops, even though I'm in "blue drop" territory now.

[Edit: I've also started to get barrels in my loot drops, when running solo flashpoints... as a deception sin. Just LoL-cry.]

Edited by Banderal

Looking back all these years of XP/CXP/Renown gains in PVP (especially in regs) as opposed to PVE, you can no longer bear good will towards the developers and make a simple presumption of a bug. This is working as intended . Just look at the weekly rewards, even completing GSF takes fraction of time/effort, yet provides multiple fragments.

So the real question is: Devs, why do you hate us PVPers so much? Is the current gearing system a retaliation for the endless criticism of class balance? It has to be, along with the Blade Blitz/Force Camouflage set bonus, which is rather like trolling PVPers than an April's Fool kinda joke.

FYI my PVP guild mates are already about to puke about the endless PVE grind you have forced them into, not a single warzone have we played since expansion release. You simply made PVP pointless: once we have the gear via PVE, there will be no incentive left to play PVP.

So it’s not bugged and working as intended when it constantly gives you 292 gear and your total iRating is 306??

Sorry, but that’s absolute rubbish. Of course it’s a bug because that’s not how the iRating system is supposed to work.

I'm beginning to think this either is by design, and through *all* gear drops, or is a bug everywhere, and for some reason has just been more noticeable in PvP. I ran through a Boarding Party flashpoint while at iLevel 281, and I got every single gear drop below iLevel 281. I had a few at 280, and most were below even that, with a few down to 274.

So then, thinking maybe I needed to run something harder than a story-mode flashpoint, I ran red reaper again in vet mode. While I did manage to get two pieces of 282 gear, I still got a huge majority of gear well below that level. Again, some down to 274 greens.

And yeah, I haven't seen a single set bonus piece of gear drop from any pvp crate.

I wish bioware would chime in and say if they think this is a bug or not. But I think it is. I didn't find much in the patch notes about how gear drops actually work, but there was this about renown crates...

"...and all Crates award gear relevant to your character’s currently selected Discipline and average item rating."

I have opened renown crates and gotten only gear that is lower than my i-level. I don't know how anyone could possible claim that getting something below my current level is "relavant to your character's...average item rating".

I also found this in one of Eric's posts on the PTS forum about how gearing works...

"When you first enter Onslaught you will be getting green drops. You will quickly get to an item rating where blue items start dropping and once that happens, you will no longer get green drops. "

And again, that's NOT what I'm seeing. I'm still getting green drops, even though I'm in "blue drop" territory now.

[Edit: I've also started to get barrels in my loot drops, when running solo flashpoints... as a deception sin. Just LoL-cry.]

Did you look at my simple guide to gearing I posted last week? There some pointers to get over the soft gates or humps when you get to certain iRating (which seems to stale). Not sure why this even happens, but if I had to guess, Bioware added it to slow people down.

Here is the link to my guide : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=970390

Edit, I also got barrels on my sin. At least I’ve got them for my gunslinger, sniper and merc now :rolleyes:

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Did you look at my simple guide to gearing I posted last week? There some pointers to get over the soft gates or humps when you get to certain iRating (which seems to stale). Not sure why this even happens, but if I had to guess, Bioware added it to slow people down.

Here is the link to my guide : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=970390

Edit, I also got barrels on my sin. At least I’ve got them for my gunslinger, sniper and merc now :rolleyes:

I did look at your guide. I forgot about the "soft gates". You might have something there. I finally got up to 284, and now I'm seeing, seemingly, better gear even from PvP. Just the last couple matches I started to get full gear slots that were appropriate again (286 relic, 286 chest piece).

Although I'm also seeing inappropriate gear in the other direction. I started to get insanely high i-level mods/hilts/enhancements compared to my current i-level. I was a 282, and suddenly... 294 mod, 294 enhance, 296 enhance, **304** hilt! I put them into my saber and focus and that's how I got to 284.

Of course, none of that invalidates that, according to the statements made about gearing, this is all bugged. :(

I did look at your guide. I forgot about the "soft gates". You might have something there. I finally got up to 284, and now I'm seeing, seemingly, better gear even from PvP. Just the last couple matches I started to get full gear slots that were appropriate again (286 relic, 286 chest piece).

Although I'm also seeing inappropriate gear in the other direction. I started to get insanely high i-level mods/hilts/enhancements compared to my current i-level. I was a 282, and suddenly... 294 mod, 294 enhance, 296 enhance, **304** hilt! I put them into my saber and focus and that's how I got to 284.

Of course, none of that invalidates that, according to the statements made about gearing, this is all bugged. :(

Yeah, I think the higher mods dropping is to encourage us to use the RNG vendor to even out the iRating in gear that you might put those items in.

Ie, if you put a 304 item in with 286 gear, it might up the iRating of the gear, but I’ve found that if you don’t try and keep “all” your gear at a similar iRating across every gear slot, it can create its own soft gate to slow you down.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Unranked crates are useless, ranked crates are also useless... The gear drops are abysmal and below my itrating of 306, but oddly yesterday I got a set bonus piece from one of the crates.

The system needs to be improved so that we can earn tech frags from WZ's too for winning and losing... Also make those cratesd drop more gear.

Here is an example of what dropped from 9 pvp matches in total, including the dailies (very little drops)

You will notice that my iRating is 306 and I’m full augmented too.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AnDzx3H

The first 3 items are purple 296 and the 3 gold items are 300 iRating. The only useful thing was the Sabre I can use to put 306 items in for my Marauder.

This slow pvp gearing system is a disgrace and on top of that it’s broken because it doesn’t even come close to dropping gear close to your iRating.

I can literally run a flash point in 10-15mins and get more gear drops than 9 pvp matches combined (which took about 80mins). As well getting gear that is at or very close to my iRating, not 6 lvls below.

A pvper who doesn’t want to grind flash points over 36-50 hours (depending on the luck with RNG) is going to take 6 or more months to gear up by only playing pvp.

BIOWARE, THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. This is NOT “play your way”. It’s “play flash points or ops” if you want to gear up. What about pvpers or even story players. I hear they are doing it tough too.

Content difficulty and time to play it needs to be taken into account. If one veteran flash point boss drops 3-4 items and mats, Keeping in mind that’s only one boss and there are 3 in a flash point. So I usually end up with 9+ pieces, mats from each one and usually a renound box too. And the possibility to get a set piece drop (when it works).

Then it’s not unrealistic that a pvp win should drop 3 items and a loss could drop one or at least some tech frags??

Or add 20 items for doing the weekly, that’s 20 matches, which could be 200 mins. And how about something a little more than now for the dailies.

All of those suggestions are still way below the drop rate in flash points, but it’s a 10 fold increase than it is now!

Pvpers really have become 3rd grade citizens with this gearing system and it’s driving more away AGAIN, just like 5.0 did. When will you guys learn from past mistakes that PVPERS want to gear up fast, not the slowest in the game.

So it’s not bugged and working as intended when it constantly gives you 292 gear and your total iRating is 306??

Sorry, but that’s absolute rubbish. Of course it’s a bug because that’s not how the iRating system is supposed to work.

I really admire your good faith in developers, your dedication to making this game better and helping players out (your gearing guide was somewhat useful), but I have to say you are quite naive and don't see the whole picture. First of all, having graduated as a program designer, making a presumption that a 292 rate drop cap is a bug would be the equivalent of saying coders are utterly stupid. You don't make a mistake like that by chance, neither do you overlook it.

Second, take every momentum into account: rewards granted for a single warzone, rewards for the weekly regs, bolstering to highest tiers. It is obvious Bioware does not want PVEers to gear via PVP content. I am a supporter of that idea for AFKers, DPS kiddos are not welcome in an objective based gameplay anyway, not to mention ranked. Avoiding making the same mistake would be a reasonable reaction considering the forum flames when Ossus forced PVEers into SR.

The only - but huge - design mistake they made was not separating PVP sets and tacticals. Thouse should be exchangable for Warzone Commendations and effectiveness restricted for PVP environment only. I don't need or want PVE sets, neither should PVEers long for PVP sets.

Just adding my voice. I am 306 on 2 toons and have not gotten a single item that was not well below my gear lvl from PvP crates.

If nothing else, there needs to be a considerable increase in tech fragments for PvP matches, losses AND (!) wins

I agree the gear from the daily and weekly regular pvp boxes seems to be not at the level of the current gear rating. Think I did get setbonus gear from the weekly box though, but nothing really that useful.

I was really lucky with the boxes you get from winning a match initially though. Got item rating 306 and 304 pieces when my item rating was about 289 or so. That was in the first week after the 6.0 update. Now I only get lower rating stuff from them as well.

No idea if I was just supper lucky there, if I maybe had an amplifier that gave me better pvp rewards or if they just stealth nerfed it now.

Drops from flashpoints seem to be a bit inconsistent as well, got better stuff from vet fp yesterday than I got from same fp in mm. With same item rating on character that is.

In my opinion just doing pvp should be a viable gearing method, which it doesn't seem to be so far.

Maybe gear progression shouldn't be as fast, in regs at least, as in mm ops, but you should be able to get to 306 rating eventually.

Thank god my go to PvP game is Fortnite. No bugs, no crashes, everything works as intended...even after a brand new map, and essentially, new makeover.

I return to SWTOR and I've crashed twice, couldn't gear in Ranked PvP...heck, I could barely get a Ranked PvP pop on SS, and on top of that, crafting is now trash too.

I run two FPs and already have better gear than I could acquire running three days of PvP. BW get your ish together. It's pathetic really.

Not gonna PvE to gear up in this game. Was subbed to this game, and enjoyed the PvP for six years. Finally cancelled my sub due to lack of content and boredom, and surprisingly was blissfully happy. Resubbed to this game because FINALLY there was some new content, and it's the same garbage with a different xpac name. Consider me cancelled again. Freaking pathetic.

Just look at the gaming landscape. The biggest games in the world are PvP games. And they're not just bigger in player base, they smoke you in revenue 100x over. We PvPers told you for years. When will you learn? You're either two cans short of a six pack at BW, or stupid in the head at EA. Ish on the PVPers and you ish on yourself. Get a clue.

Freaking stupid.

I agree. I always get purple drops on the PvP boxes on my ilvl306 characters. But i think the reason here is cause i am not doing ranked. Ranked maybe drops better? I am not sure, but this might be intended. But, i don't agree with it as i said in other threads. I'd rather have less gear drops but more 306 drops and tech fragment drops. There is no reason to micro-manage all this crap that drops only to be disassembled. Edited by Nemmar

Thank god my go to PvP game is Fortnite. No bugs, no crashes, everything works as intended...even after a brand new map, and essentially, new makeover.

I return to SWTOR and I've crashed twice, couldn't gear in Ranked PvP...heck, I could barely get a Ranked PvP pop on SS, and on top of that, crafting is now trash too.

I run two FPs and already have better gear than I could acquire running three days of PvP. BW get your ish together. It's pathetic really.

Not gonna PvE to gear up in this game. Was subbed to this game, and enjoyed the PvP for six years. Finally cancelled my sub due to lack of content and boredom, and surprisingly was blissfully happy. Resubbed to this game because FINALLY there was some new content, and it's the same garbage with a different xpac name. Consider me cancelled again. Freaking pathetic.

Just look at the gaming landscape. The biggest games in the world are PvP games. And they're not just bigger in player base, they smoke you in revenue 100x over. We PvPers told you for years. When will you learn? You're either two cans short of a six pack at BW, or stupid in the head at EA. Ish on the PVPers and you ish on yourself. Get a clue.

Freaking stupid.

I'm gonna be honest here. I have never crashed on PvP. Not even when i fell through the map once or twice.

I have to conclude that is a problem on your side.

But players flickering all through the map and not being attackable until they pop back up is certainly one of the biggest issues with the game i wish they solved. Actually, the whole delay in pvp is kind of annoying. Still a lot of fun to play though. Just wish it performed better.

I always get garbage from pvp crates....iam 306 ilvl but i get blue or green 300/304 useless trash gear or gear parts.I can confirm pvp crates drop nothing useful.i Bet devs did in on purpose since they wanted to force everyone play flash points and do weeklies to show precious statistics to their EA managers Edited by bladech

I always get garbage from pvp crates....iam 306 ilvl but i get blue or green 300/304 useless trash gear or gear parts.I can confirm pvp crates drop nothing useful.i Bet devs did in on purpose since they wanted to force everyone play flash points and do weeklies to show precious statistics to their EA managers

And what will their statistics show when all pvpers unsub. This expac has been riddled with issues that’s driving players away from the game that could have been easily avoided if they’d actually listened to the pts feed back and acted correctly instead of being stubborn.

If more players stay and people play, then those statistics are naturally higher. They wouldn’t need to force people to play certain content because there would be enough people across the player spectrum.

I have played a weekly of warzones. While my iRating has been between 292 and 300, I have got gear drops in between, therefore I have not encountered the 292 cap yet. I am objetive-oriented player, thus I always get most / lot of medals, but I do not know whether gear drop correlates with objective points or not.

I will report back in a few days time when I reach 306 to see if I encounter the same problem as you do.

Somehow this is true. While I have 306 IR, I do get often 302-304 gear/mods from wz crates. The best way to gear up fast are master flashpoints. I used to solo vet RR until 290 rating before I found stealth groups for M RR, which was way faster in terms of gearing.

I’ve 306 and I’ve yet to get anything higher than 300. Most of it is purple 296-298 items.