Bio says no to macros at Guild Summit.

Badlander

But that IS what happens.

For instance... this is a Death Knight Macro used by many in WOW for PVP...

/castsequence reset=target Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Strike, Blood Strike, Obliterate, Frost Strike, Howling Blast

They run around in circles clicking one button to perform 7 different abilities. Now, do you think this adds an advantage over a player who doesn't use a macro like this?

Macros like this force everyone to follow along due to being at a disadvantage.

Now I know you are both bad and ignorant about WoW and what a macro does. Let me explain...

/castsequence macros are not conditional... It does those abilities one by one, regardless of what is happening to you, your partner or to the target. Conditional macros do not work in WoW and with that macro you would be laughed out of any raiding guild and would probably get you a sub 1k arena rating in the current season.

You post like you are "good" at mmo's, and you posture like you have skills - but it is very obvious that you are just one of the many who fled other games to find his home in this space based version of Hello Kitty Island.

If you want to see what Arena folks use take a jaunt over to http://www.arenajunkies.com - all the "leet" combat macros for all classes and all specs are listed and explained... Which also means that anybody can copy them and use them... fair and balanced.

Edited by Sireene
use of retarded - PM'd

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what a bunch of cry babies wanting macros and expecting the devs to add that for them so they can over simplify a game that is already pretty dang simple in MMO terms. Plus, when macros were in SWG, you know what I did? I farmed a KILLING in faction with macros while AFK and sold that for credits.... I was a rich man for my limited times in game during pre-CU, NGE and quitting soon after that. Macros are the devil, so stop being lazy and play the game like you're supposed to.

wrong,

it started from 1st MMO,

and play a game with more than 8 buttons is such a stupid thing.

LOL go do something usefull will you go play my little pony or something else .

That is made for babies , you know and avoid those baby toys who even have more then 8 buttons to press.

Cause it is too complicated for you .

Gee talk about a admiting lazyness ..

This is the reason that bioware doesn´t want macro .

So you want a game with 30 buttons /choices + but able to be compressed into 8 buttons.

Talk about being a hypocrite . go play MOP or other simple games .

Sorry or learn to keybind , priortise and most important adapt by playing a game.

If your memory fails you to press more then 8 buttons , I do not want to know .

How you can even use a keyboard , it has over 100 buttons .

First, those sorts of out-of-game macros cannot use in-game states the way an in-game macro function could, so they're inferior in that way.

Apparently you've never heard of screen capturing and image comparison/analysis software that the gold (credit) farmers use. This is the next evolution from reading combat logs in other MMOs. PCs can easily take a screenshot and do a comparison or analysis in a matter of milliseconds. But again, these are not regular gamers, they're running scripts within sophisticated software to make a real world profit selling virtual money from these games thanks to international exchange rates. So this doesn't stop gold farmers.

In regards to in-game "states", Bioware could easily limit what is and isn't recorded with Macros. For example, Turbine limits macros in LOTRO to just the stuff you could type in-game, be it /slash commands or chat messages. Blizzard on the other hand allows more, including skills/abilities to be added to macros. The developer can control the level of flexibility when it comes to client-based macros, thus eliminating the ability to read anything from the client.

Too many people confuse "macros" with anything-goes record everything. That's not always the case.

I just think it's messed up they put their name etc on the razer keyboard then say, 'omg no macros!'

Good point, LOL! They jointly market the Razer macro keyboards then say 'oh wait, we don't want to add macros to the client'. Perhaps they're trying to get people to buy the macro keyboards instead?

Good point, LOL! They jointly market the Razer macro keyboards then say 'oh wait, we don't want to add macros to the client'. Perhaps they're trying to get people to buy the macro keyboards instead?

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a deal with Razer to not have in game macros. I'm convinced that the "no macro" decision is an editorial one, and not a design one.

they said no combat macros, not "no macros". i imagine we'll eventually see macros for emotes, readycheck, /say, etc... eventually

That isn't really a macro. What you are describing is just a script or slash command. A macro is a button you can add to your tool bars that executes a script or slash command.

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but there is a distinction that should be noted.

LOL go do something usefull will you go play my little pony or something else .

That is made for babies , you know and avoid those baby toys who even have more then 8 buttons to press.

Cause it is too complicated for you .

Gee talk about a admiting lazyness ..

This is the reason that bioware doesn´t want macro .

So you want a game with 30 buttons /choices + but able to be compressed into 8 buttons.

Talk about being a hypocrite . go play MOP or other simple games .

Sorry or learn to keybind , priortise and most important adapt by playing a game.

If your memory fails you to press more then 8 buttons , I do not want to know .

How you can even use a keyboard , it has over 100 buttons .

Macros ARE in. Just not for everyone.

I have 34 different keybinds for things i use in this game be it abilities, use items, what have you. 34.... combat macros would decrease this number by almost half. Its ridiculous to have to bind so many things that you use and not be able to combine any of them. And yes, I use all 34 buttons, some more than others, but I do none the less.

no in game macros but you can have:

17 macros from your mouse

20 macros from your keyboard

don't get me wrong im far from the biggest fan of macros, but the rationality behind not having them does seem a little screwey.

all that being said having 4 completely filled bars of frequently used abilities is getting old.

Edited by goulet

i agree with bio not adding marcos into this game. i don't want a "press 1 to win" button in this game. The only game i used macros for was MapleStory and you can only add 3 skills per macro and that was for my huge amount of buffs. (noting, i don't play that game anymore)

Agreed. Combat Macros are for the lazy.

That statement isn't necessarily true. Nor is it constructive. It's just an accusatory opinion that isn't helping the discussion.

There are some cases where macros help make a game more playable. For instance in WoW druids desperately need macros in order to keep their tool bars manageable. Druids are shapeshifters in WoW and their toolbars need to be flexible depending on which form they are currently using. Only one of the toolbars changes automatically when the druid shapeshifts, so buttons on other toolbars need macros to be useful. Otherwise you end up with 60 plus buttons across multiple toolbars and two thirds of them are only usable when in a specific form. Druids can use a macro that evaluates which form they are shifted into when the button is pressed to allow one button to perform multiple roles dependent upon the druid's form. This drastically reduces clutter on toolbars and the number of necessary keybinds to play effectively.

Now, that is why WoW needs macros. SWTOR doesn't really have anything like this at the moment, so I agree that we do not necessarily need macros at this time. However, that doesn't mean that anyone who uses macros is lazy. If you would like to argue against macros being implemented please do so, but do so in a constructive manner that explains why you feel this way without having to making broad over-generalizations that are simply false statements meant to incise the community members who disagree with you.

Some skills are just there adding bloat to the bars if they are not going to add macros they need to start combining abilities to get rid of the skill bloat. Hitting more buttons does not make the game harder in a fun way.

If the argument against macros is going to be it makes people lazy or makes the game harder then they can just make nightmare mode raids where you get 50 extra abilities you need to use and have to bind them all.

Better yet lets get rid of keybinds while we are at it and make everyone have to click every ability from the bar. This makes sense because a more complicated and harder to interface with game equals a better game right?

This game isn't that hard. Why simplify it more?

I used macros in WoW though.. Did make life a lot easier. But I'm not struggling by any means without them.

It's not a matter of "hard". It's a matter of convenience and enjoyment. Unless you enjoy mashing the same key sequence over and over again? I certainly don't derive any pleasure from that. I already roll my own macros, but I support the casual players getting a chance to experience a smoother gameplay experience.

It's extremely depressing that they won't allow macros in this game. It's an easy excuse for them to not do any extra work, and for them to continue to make the game "Hard" via "players fight the UI" instead of difficult via "players fight each other, or fight the scripted encounters".

It's transparent and pathetic.

This is my opinion, more or less.

Also, Warzones are artificially harder than they need to be because of the UI being so unsuitable for healers.

-Combat macros makes combat easier

-When one group has easier combat and another doesn't (macro-users vs. non-macro-users), balancing content to work with both groups becomes impossible.

Hot keying makes combat easier

Mouse turning makes combat easier

Yet people still click and keyboard turn, it's not like everyone can't do it. Some just refuse to adapt. And end up sucking at the game. Has nothing to do with balance.

It was pretty much said that there will be no macros anytime soon if ever at the guild summit. It seems part of the Dev team hates macros and does not want them in game.

But, they did say there will be some things in game that will help healers and such. What that means who knows they did not explain it very well.

Which i think this is a good thing.

I've been saying for some time now that nobody from BioWare has ever played an MMORPG before. Blindly saying you hate macros (addons/target of target/combat log/any typical feature of a quality MMORPG) pretty much proves it.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with hate. It more likely has to do with using a 3rd party engine, its limitations, and the fact that BioWare lives in a vacuum where they ignore any and all progress in MMORPG history, impliment all features like it's 10 years ago, insist on encountering the same mistakes many other games have made and grown away from, do not impliment basic features found in amost all other MMORPGs (target of target, combat log, readycheck, basic/simple macro support), and live in a vacuum where they are right and the rest of the MMORPG genre, including games vastly more succesful than they'll ever be, are wrong.

not having macros is just dumb and bioware is dumb for not implementing them.

But, to be fair, I don't think it is Biowares active choice to leave macros out. I am starting to think they are unable to do it. Maybe there is something in the Hero Engine or their ported version of it that would make macros too hard to implement.

Maybe it has something to do with client side and server side commands, related to combat delays and the like.