What is the secret to the Hutt success?

adormitul

The Hutt are the longest living surviving galactic power even older then the republic that survived for over 20 thousand years and the Hutt space is older then that. They are not a great power but somehow they managed to outlive them all including the republic in the near future. What is the reason for that?

How come a galactic power based on corruption, crime, slavery and decadence is so long lived. And that is in spite of the fact that they did not stay neutral and isolated they got involved in every galactic conflict we know of.

What do you all think?

The Hutt are the longest living surviving galactic power even older then the republic that survived for over 20 thousand years and the Hutt space is older then that. They are not a great power but somehow they managed to outlive them all including the republic in the near future. What is the reason for that?

How come a galactic power based on corruption, crime, slavery and decadence is so long lived. And that is in spite of the fact that they did not stay neutral and isolated they got involved in every galactic conflict we know of.

What do you all think?

I think you in part answered your own question, since those things always seem to be around in any society.

I'm more interested in how Hutts rose to the top of the food chain to begin with. After all, they are just a giant worm, with no discernible physical means to compete against other species. Now of course they maintain their status via money etc..., but based on the evolutionary theory of survival of the fittest, they would have been wiped out long before they got where they are now.

The Hutts aren't just crime lords. They're also businessmen. Their society is based around ironclad contracts with extremely fine print, which is how they get many of their slaves, and enslave entire species. The Hutt Cartel isn't complete chaos, it's more like an ordered, albeit corrupt, business empire. The Hutts may be slimey, but they're still lawful. Just not Lawful Good.

I think you in part answered your own question, since those things always seem to be around in any society.

I'm more interested in how Hutts rose to the top of the food chain to begin with. After all, they are just a giant worm, with no discernible physical means to compete against other species. Now of course they maintain their status via money etc..., but based on the evolutionary theory of survival of the fittest, they would have been wiped out long before they got where they are now.

What I said are usually sings of decline for a eventual fall not signs of stability.

From what I understood they are quite smart and crafty in spite of their physical weakness. Brains beats brawn I guess.

The reason they rose and still stand is very easy: they have almost all of the gas and fuel resources in the galaxy. That's where their pretty much infinte wealth comes from. And with so much money they can do whatever they want: do business, go to war, conquer underworld or invent and organize Huttball :)

well Modern Hutt society is only 10,000 years old. before 15,000 BBY they had a militant empire (you hear mention of this in Imp side Makeb BTW)

that said, Hutt society is proably better governered then you think. they have their own laws and codes that they follow strictly. they just belive they're above "the lesser races" and treat the laws of said lesser races with contempt.

Basicly "the law is for Hutts, screw those other guys we'll take advantage of em how we please"

What do you all think?

Slaves, plus I guess their smarts in these kinds of businesses make up for their lack of acrobatic skills.

Unless some species is particularly unsuccesful, evolution doesn't really wipe slower/weaker species out, it gives them other tools of survival. As for the Hutts specifically? They got to the top same way "we" did, brain power. It's not like human species stands any chance at all in pure physical confrontation versus most predators on Earth. Edited by Pietrastor

Money and Outmaneuvering. The promise of wealth will get all kinds of people on your side. I'm sure they operate something like a real life mafia, starting with collecting "protection" money etc. Plus they're big in the spice and all kinds of illegal trade. Their secret is the same as the secret of some major drug lords and cartels out there. I'm not an expert on them but I'm sure you can read up on how they operate.

Money and Outmaneuvering. The promise of wealth will get all kinds of people on your side. I'm sure they operate something like a real life mafia, starting with collecting "protection" money etc. Plus they're big in the spice and all kinds of illegal trade. Their secret is the same as the secret of some major drug lords and cartels out there. I'm not an expert on them but I'm sure you can read up on how they operate.
Defnitely tons of gambling, drug and all kinds of "Las Vegas fun" money, but as for the 'protection' dirty money, there's no point doing it. Real world mafia syndicates aint the official governments/law enforcers thus they get the money by illegal unofficial methods like threats etc. The Hutts ARE the official governors of the planets/moons they own and stuff. They only thing they need to do to get cash is taxes. Edited by Pietrastor

Defnitely tons of gambling, drug and all kinds of "Las Vegas fun" money, but as for the 'protection' dirty money, there's no point doing it. Real world mafia syndicates aint the official governments/law enforcers thus they get the money by illegal unofficial methods like threats etc. The Hutts ARE the official governors of the planets/moons they own and stuff. They only thing they need to do to get cash is taxes.

On Hutta and Nar Shaddaa sure, but on the worlds they don't outright own I'm sure they run protection rackets.