Developer Update: Quesh Huttball Pit

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sniper on the pipe = game over, especially with their new defensive buffs. The only classes which even have a prayer of countering that situation are shadow/assassin tanks and vanguards/powertechs, since stun + pull is really the only option. I recognize that it's very tenuous to get to that point, but 8v8s are chaotic enough that I have little doubt that most competent snipers will be able to pull it off.

I realize the health pot on the pipe seems like a good idea, but it is basically the nail in the coffin to non-sniper classes for this map. At least if it's not up there, the counter to a pipe sniper can be "a lot of ranged DPS".

Looks even more awful than regular Huttball. Please don't add this pile of junk to ranked.

You Sir really know ranked. Keyword "only arenas".

But as a big fan of Huttball. It looks indeed awesome. And i like that the mobility advantage jugs and maras normally had are now with the grappling things a bit more even.

• Dev Post
Sniper on the pipe = game over, especially with their new defensive buffs. The only classes which even have a prayer of countering that situation are shadow/assassin tanks and vanguards/powertechs, since stun + pull is really the only option. I recognize that it's very tenuous to get to that point, but 8v8s are chaotic enough that I have little doubt that most competent snipers will be able to pull it off.

I realize the health pot on the pipe seems like a good idea, but it is basically the nail in the coffin to non-sniper classes for this map. At least if it's not up there, the counter to a pipe sniper can be "a lot of ranged DPS".

I saw this sentiment being posted last Friday but decided (okay, Musco told me :p) to wait until the blog went out before sharing my thoughts on the "snipers on the pipe" (great band name btw).

The center of Quesh Pit is an apples to apples comparison to the center of the original Huttball. In the center of both maps are wide open areas with little in the means of LoS. Take the original Huttball for example, to LoS someone you'd have to leave the center area or play coy around the ball stand. There are no other LoS blockers in the area at all and in addition, snipers and other ranged classes usually choose to setup on the walkways around this center area to rain hot death upon anyone picking up the ball or otherwise in the center area. This is just like the center platform in Quesh although taken to the extreme and hectic because it is closer to the endzone.

So whichever Huttball you are playing, you will see ranged classes go for the high ground and get into advantageous positions. We like how this plays as it makes the center of the map a very important place to hold, a mini-battle as part of a bigger strategy of moving the ball forward. It lets your team move the ball by putting pressure on chasers and it allows you to slow down the enemy ball carriers. Right now we feel from extensive in-house playtests and the little amount of gameplay seen on PTS we are happy with this aspect of the map. HOWEVER! Nothing is set in stone and we will consider all options at our disposal before making a call if something needs to change so please keep the feedback coming and we will discuss it.

I will state again (from the blog just posted) that the design goal of Quesh Huttball was to "create a fresh experience but [one that] also keeps the same thrill and nail biting moments associated with Huttball intact!" I feel we have done this with Quesh Huttball Pit and looking forward to seeing how yall enjoy it, develop new strats for it and squee with elation when it comes up in the queue.

Please continue with the constructive comments and feedback on all things Quesh Huttball Pit!

Cheers! :jawa_cool:

I saw this sentiment being posted last Friday but decided (okay, Musco told me :p) to wait until the blog went out before sharing my thoughts on the "snipers on the pipe" (great band name btw).

The center of Quesh Pit is an apples to apples comparison to the center of the original Huttball. In the center of both maps are wide open areas with little in the means of LoS. Take the original Huttball for example, to LoS someone you'd have to leave the center area or play coy around the ball stand. There are no other LoS blockers in the area at all and in addition, snipers and other ranged classes usually choose to setup on the walkways around this center area to rain hot death upon anyone picking up the ball or otherwise in the center area. This is just like the center platform in Quesh although taken to the extreme and hectic because it is closer to the endzone.

So whichever Huttball you are playing, you will see ranged classes go for the high ground and get into advantageous positions. We like how this plays as it makes the center of the map a very important place to hold, a mini-battle as part of a bigger strategy of moving the ball forward. It lets your team move the ball by putting pressure on chasers and it allows you to slow down the enemy ball carriers. Right now we feel from extensive in-house playtests and the little amount of gameplay seen on PTS we are happy with this aspect of the map. HOWEVER! Nothing is set in stone and we will consider all options at our disposal before making a call if something needs to change so please keep the feedback coming and we will discuss it.

I will state again (from the blog just posted) that the design goal of Quesh Huttball was to "create a fresh experience but [one that] also keeps the same thrill and nail biting moments associated with Huttball intact!" I feel we have done this with Quesh Huttball Pit and looking forward to seeing how yall enjoy it, develop new strats for it and squee with elation when it comes up in the queue.

Please continue with the constructive comments and feedback on all things Quesh Huttball Pit!

Cheers! :jawa_cool:

There are several things wrong in your post.

First off the 2 HB mids can't be compared. I can't camp the spawn from mid in the Nar Shadda HB map like I can in Quesh. To stop the ball carrier form scoring in Nar Shadda I have to move. In Quesh I can sit on top of that pipe all day and stop people form scoring or just farm damage. It's also extremely easy to score from there.

There is also only one way to get to the sniper/sorc/merc, a long uncovered walk down a skinny pipe. It's very simple to knock people off, stun/root and burn them down. There are several paths someone can take in Nar Shadda to get to any point on the map, as well as being randomly dropped there by the air ducts.

The reward v risk is skewed greatly in to reward territory in Quesh. There is literally no reason for a ranged class to be anywhere but that pipe. You're in perfect position for a pass, you at no point lose LoS or range on the ball carrier as they walk up the ramp, you can camp the spawn, you have easy access to a health pot and you're hard to get to. The risk is... nothing. The only thing that can hurt you up there is other ranged, who are standing possibly in the middle of your melee so I'd rather be up there than down in the scrum with the PT's, Mara'a and Sin's. In Nar Shadda the catwalks are great but not perfect. You can be LoS'ed, people can get out of range especially the ball carrier if you are on your side, you have to keep moving to keep up with the ball and you are in a prime spot to get pulled/pushed into the fire traps. These risks don't exist on the Quesh map.

Snipers can't even be leaped to or pulled down. On my Merc if I saw a VG I popped HO and laughed as he wasted his pull or netted a leaper and blew them up. It took concentrated effort from at least 2 players to get me off of there, as a Merc, Snipers will be even harder to get down once you throw in Entrench, new Evasion and the standard cover mechanic. To me that is making it to easy of a decision whether or not to go up there.

Something needs to be added at the least to the area by the acid traps for LoS because as of now it's way to simple for ranged to get on that pipe and never come down, with little to no risk involved. It's not even a 10 second walk to the goal form there. It's not even hard to get on. You can walk right out of the spawn on to it.

There are several things wrong in your post.

First off the 2 HB mids can't be compared. I can't camp the spawn from mid in the Nar Shadda HB map like I can in Quesh. To stop the ball carrier form scoring in Nar Shadda I have to move. In Quesh I can sit on top of that pipe all day and stop people form scoring or just farm damage. It's also extremely easy to score from there.

There is also only one way to get to the sniper/sorc/merc, a long uncovered walk down a skinny pipe. It's very simple to knock people off, stun/root and burn them down. There are several paths someone can take in Nar Shadda to get to any point on the map, as well as being randomly dropped there by the air ducts.

The reward v risk is skewed greatly in to reward territory in Quesh. There is literally no reason for a ranged class to be anywhere but that pipe. You're in perfect position for a pass, you at no point lose LoS or range on the ball carrier as they walk up the ramp, you can camp the spawn, you have easy access to a health pot and you're hard to get to. The risk is... nothing. The only thing that can hurt you up there is other ranged, who are standing possibly in the middle of your melee so I'd rather be up there than down in the scrum with the PT's, Mara'a and Sin's. In Nar Shadda the catwalks are great but not perfect. You can be LoS'ed, people can get out of range especially the ball carrier if you are on your side, you have to keep moving to keep up with the ball and you are in a prime spot to get pulled/pushed into the fire traps. These risks don't exist on the Quesh map.

Snipers can't even be leaped to or pulled down. On my Merc if I saw a VG I popped HO and laughed as he wasted his pull or netted a leaper and blew them up. It took concentrated effort from at least 2 players to get me off of there, as a Merc, Snipers will be even harder to get down once you throw in Entrench, new Evasion and the standard cover mechanic. To me that is making it to easy of a decision whether or not to go up there.

Something needs to be added at the least to the area by the acid traps for LoS because as of now it's way to simple for ranged to get on that pipe and never come down, with little to no risk involved. It's not even a 10 second walk to the goal form there. It's not even hard to get on. You can walk right out of the spawn on to it.

Honest question here (I didn't play the map on the PTS): Can't you stealth your way up and use knockback on the sniper to force him down ? Entrench is not up 100% of the time, just push and watch him gets eaten by the melee in the middle.

Honest question here (I didn't play the map on the PTS): Can't you stealth your way up and use knockback on the sniper to force him down ? Entrench is not up 100% of the time, just push and watch him gets eaten by the melee in the middle.

You can but with the Sniper's stealth detect it's tough. Also the Sniper will probably be facing one of the spawns, which would make approaching form the back pretty tough. So with the short KB from Sin's I have seen people get hit with it, myself included, and not travel far enough to get knocked off since you can't hit always hit them perpendicular to the pipe to get them down.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's a lot harder than it is for the Sniper.

Looks pretty cool. I bet that it will be more low scoring than the regular huttball arena. Also, I agree that snipers may be a bit unfair. :wea_03:

I saw a few games end from points scored. Once they fix the acid animation scores should go back up. Saw a bunch of people die because they had o idea the acid was on.

• Dev Post
I saw a few games end from points scored. Once they fix the acid animation scores should go back up. Saw a bunch of people die because they had o idea the acid was on.

Should be fixed in the next patch. Invisible acid is the worse! :jawa_mad: