PvP Tank 5.10

Mordarion

Greetings folks :),

I am very excited about Jedi Under Seige!!

I am really curious how we will gear in PvP with the new content. I was thinking some of you are ahead of me in theory crafting and was hoping some of you would share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings folks :),

I am very excited about Jedi Under Seige!!

I am really curious how we will gear in PvP with the new content. I was thinking some of you are ahead of me in theory crafting and was hoping some of you would share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

You are opening a can of worms here, my friend.

The new gearing system discussions are all over the place. In short, the only way to get the new gear via PvP is absurd amounts of UC. Depending on the ossus missions and the significance of the new gear I may or may not be bothered, frankly.

For my tanks theres no point trying, as I would need the crated versions of mods and enhancements that will probably (someone on pts avaliable to clarify?) Require the mat that only drops in MM gods.

And then the question becomes: do i dps enough to care about BIS gear? I have next to no desire to participate in another futless attempt to bring back players while not fixing the issues that chased them off in the first place.

TLDR: hope you didn't assume you could use your UCs to gear alts rather than stockpiling.

You are opening a can of worms here, my friend.

The new gearing system discussions are all over the place. In short, the only way to get the new gear via PvP is absurd amounts of UC. Depending on the ossus missions and the significance of the new gear I may or may not be bothered, frankly.

For my tanks theres no point trying, as I would need the crated versions of mods and enhancements that will probably (someone on pts avaliable to clarify?) Require the mat that only drops in MM gods.

And then the question becomes: do i dps enough to care about BIS gear? I have next to no desire to participate in another futless attempt to bring back players while not fixing the issues that chased them off in the first place.

TLDR: hope you didn't assume you could use your UCs to gear alts rather than stockpiling.

what he was asking about, were stats distritbution and therefor amount of enhancements of each type etc. (indicated by the theorycrafting question).

but yeah, we can make this thread to another cry orgy ofc. maybe BW will listen again and "fix" it again, making it even worse for everybody....again.

@OP: before you dont recognize your own thread anymore and wont get any reasonable answers:

look at this spread sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tTZEODvA4-N_wLXlizG654Ii1z9gI88HavBk1WbTsk0/edit#gid=1340830784

what he was asking about, were stats distritbution and therefor amount of enhancements of each type etc. (indicated by the theorycrafting question).

but yeah, we can make this thread to another cry orgy ofc. maybe BW will listen again and "fix" it again, making it even worse for everybody....again.

@OP: before you dont recognize your own thread anymore and wont get any reasonable answers:

look at this spread sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tTZEODvA4-N_wLXlizG654Ii1z9gI88HavBk1WbTsk0/edit#gid=1340830784

I seriously doubt a whole lot is changing in that department. You might can get away with 1 enhancement less to reach the high alacrity cap, thus allowing for one additional crit enhancement, but i doubt this difference is game breaking.

Even more reasons the gear is just dumb. You are either part of a raid team that is interested in and could do MM gods in current gear, or you're not interested or likely to attempt it. I seriously doubt the extra 5% total stat pool is that huge

Greetings,

Thank you very much for the spreadsheet!!

Very interesting info and I understand there are issues in getting the gear. Those are all valid issues and for now I do not have a comment.

My focus was for tanks in PvP, will that Defense, Absorb, and Shield, actually work as intended? Will that actually be optimal gearing for PvP? If that is the case then let's discuss the gearing issue. I just have my doubts PvP will work as intended. Again thank you for all the help and info :)!!

Greetings,

My focus was for tanks in PvP, will that Defense, Absorb, and Shield, actually work as intended? Will that actually be optimal gearing for PvP? If that is the case then let's discuss the gearing issue. I just have my doubts PvP will work as intended. Again thank you for all the help and info :)!!

Kind of, defense is as next to useless as it ever was in pvp (and well over needed levels in pve already) so stacking more defense in any case is pointless.

Crits can be shielded now, the usefulness of which can be debatable. Its more useful that it used to be, at any rate, but for game modes like ranked/4v4 killing stuff fast is far more important that mere survival.

Just like it is now, most pvp tanks will still run skanks, and just like now the gearing question for dps will be high or low alacrity.

We can debate the precise nimbers of enhancements/augs but very little is substantially changing since you cannot reach the next alacrity cutoff point. The number of alacrity enhancements you use may change allowing for more crit, but the number isn't increasing by any mind boggling number.

Tanking wise, its even more just like it is now, because tanking is much less quantitative. Dtps is a practically meaningless value to minimize as most of thr time, you don't die to dtps, you die to an unanticipated spike.

Edited by KendraP

Thank you!

Now this is getting to what i am really after. I want to understand how the different stats work in PvP, not the ideal PVE numbers, but I want the ideal PvP numbers.

So looking at the spreadsheet what numbers do i really want for PvP?

Here is what is listed...

Mastery- 6848

Power- 2822

Defense- 2078

Absorb- 1771

Shield- 2145

This with 3 Shield Enhancements and 7 Absorb Enhancements.

So that is the question, how do i really want to gear in 5.10 PvP for Immortal Jugg or Defense Guardian?

Also what about...

Crit- ????

Alacrity- ????

What should those numbers be :)?

And thank you again... /bow.

Edited by Mordarion

Pvp tanks before these changes were tanky enough already that’s why they switched to wearing, in most cases, pure dps gear to allow them to have more impact within the match. Shield crit changes in my opinion, did nothing to change tank meta in pvp or justify changing your gear to defensive stats. Why drop a crap load of damage for a small gain in survivabllity when you didn’t even need it to begin with?

There is probably situations where this gear can be useful but for majority of the time dropping damage for survivability is going to nerf your impact within pvp matches. It’s not optimal.

Edited by kissingaiur

Thank you!

So looking at the spreadsheet what numbers do i really want for PvP?

Here is what is listed...

Mastery- 6848

Power- 2822

Defense- 2078

Absorb- 1771

Shield- 2145

This with 3 Shield Enhancements and 7 Absorb Enhancements.

So that is the question, how do i really want to gear in 5.10 PvP for Immortal Jugg or Defense Guardian?

Also what about...

Crit- ????

Alacrity- ????

What should those numbers be :)?

And thank you again... /bow.

Again, if you were pvp tanking now and whatever you're currently doing works for you, there is little point shaking it up. The new gear is, frankly, not that important (especially for tanks, for whom using "optimal" gear is already not in fsct optimal).

Your defense rating number looks about like mine, around 2k. I personally bring shield and absorb a bit closer together, but if that works for you it's whatever. Like i said earlier, most of the theory crafters optimize tanks around minimizing dtps, which is pretty meaningless.

For pvp in specific, exact tank stat numbers are even more pointless as (as i mentioned earlier) defense rating is still useless in pvp and the meaningfulness of shielded crits is debatable (i run my tank set now, for non-4v4, but i keep my dps and skank sets around too).

For dps, again, the determining factor is if you want to low (7-whatever it is) alacrity value (for the 1.4s GCD) or the 18-whatever alacrity value (for the 1.3s GCD). Because the 1.2s GCD will still be unattainable with the new gear, this is not changing substantially. Drop one alacrity enhancement for a crit one and make sure you're still over the cap for your alacrity tier (7-whatever or 18-whatever).

The theory crafting is basically not changing.

KendraP thanks again!!

Here are my current 5.9.3 numbers just for comparison sakes. All gear 248 and Augments 236...

Mastery- 8063

End- 9443

Power 4307

Crit- 1749

Alacrity- 791

Def- 99

Absorb- 0

Shield- 0

Are we really saying keep Def, Shield, and Absorb all this low for 5.10 PvP?

KendraP thanks again!!

Here are my current 5.9.3 numbers just for comparison sakes. All gear 248 and Augments 236...

Mastery- 8063

End- 9443

Power 4307

Crit- 1749

Alacrity- 791

Def- 99

Absorb- 0

Shield- 0

Are we really saying keep Def, Shield, and Absorb all this low for 5.10 PvP?

If skanking works for you, sure. I assume the 99 def is from a tank stim.

I only started running my tank set because my speciality is stalling 6 on 2 or so with my healer at one node while my 2 other friends go off stealing the others. Killing anything is actually bad in this case as, once the enemy player is no longer focused on blindly tunneling me or my healer. He might actually go try to stop my guys from capping.

But i also wouldn't bother tanking without running with a healer (there are a grand total of about 3 healers i bother tanking for), so what works for me might not be ideal for everyone else.

If you have a pve tank set, test it yourself. The only way to know what works best for you is to try it yourself after all. If you do not run with a dedicated healer you trust and don't want to dps, then yes I would run a skank.

Kendra your advice is excellent as always, thank you.

The 99 Defense is from a stim and I think based on some of your commentary it helps if I am more specific.

I am looking for optimal TRanked Rating Gear. I have an excellent healer and we are still sorting our DPS options (Darth Malgus server is anyone is interested). So I need to be sturdy but also do some damage as clearly killing in an Arena is fairly important.

Thus back to the question, what stats are optimal for TRanked Ratingas, as I am just not convinced one way or another yet.

Thank you again... /bow.

Edited by Mordarion

Kendra your advice is excellent as always, thank you.

The 99 Defense is from a stim and I think based on some of your commentary it helps if I am more specific.

I am looking for optimal TRanked Rating Gear. I have an excellent healer and we are still sorting our DPS options (Darth Malgus server is anyone is interested). So I need to be sturdy but also do some damage as clearly killing in an Arena is fairly important.

Thus back to the question, what stats are optimal for TRanked Ratingas, as I am just not convinced one way or another yet.

Thank you again... /bow.

For ranked probably skanking. Ranked is ultimately a race to see who can kill who faster. I don't do much ranked, but the survive an onslaught outnumbered factor is far less relevant.

Thank you again KendraP!

So back to Skanking in TRanked... what stats for 5.10 PvP?

What among Defense, Absorb and/or Shield even work in PvP and how well?

Thank you as always!

Honestly for Tranked, depending on your team, you could probably stick to straight damage stats.

If you were trying to survive outnumbered for a prolonged amount of time, you might notice a survival increase from shielding crits. But for ranked, actually killing stuff is far more useful.

5.10 isnt changing anything about the way any of the stats work, and i seriously doubt the slightly higher tank stats are going to make a massive difference in the status quo.