Trailer released for the next animated series -- Star Wars: Resistance

DarthDymond

Since it was originally announced back in April, they said the new series was going to have "an anime-inspired style" -- looks like that translates into a heavily cel shaded aesthetic. Also, as advertised from the beginning, it definitely has that kid-friendly, "all ages" vibe.

Can't say either one of these aspects is really grabbing me right from the start, but the Clone Wars CGI look took a while to grow on me and that series started off with "Skyguy" and wacky hijinks with Stiny the Hutt -- and Rebels started off in much the same vein. I'm game for giving this one a chance to see if it ends up as solid as Clone Wars and Rebels ultimately did. Plus, one mark in its favor right from the jump is that I am looking forward to seeing more stories set in the sequel era.

Not sure if the release date had been previously announced, but they're saying it will launch October 7 on Disney Channel.

Edited by DarthDymond

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did not look all that good. The anime is trying to ve like the art style in rebels and it just does not work. The artwork looks dated instead of some of the really new anime that has come out lately.

Plus from what I've seen with the bits of thr story, really not feeling it.

The artstyle looks rather simple, though it does give me bit off Avatar: The Last Airbender vibes (which is most excellent series). It took me a while to get used to Rebels art but I got used it and ended in liking it very much.

Still, this series looks like its going to be fun, hopefully they'll explore the dynamics between the New Republic/Resistance and the First Order and give more information about the galaxy and events before TFA.

Edited by Rebamcfan

Awful.

A bunch of kids and oh the forced female 'hero' in the show as well. Oh and anyone notice how the so called good guys in the Resistance are violent authoritarians? Look at one of the 'heroes' throwing a character off a building. Add in it's going with the new movies and well just look at how 'loved' TFA/TLJ have been.

Really it's clear more people want Clone Wars rather then this.

Awful.

A bunch of kids and oh the forced female 'hero' in the show as well. Oh and anyone notice how the so called good guys in the Resistance are violent authoritarians? Look at one of the 'heroes' throwing a character off a building. Add in it's going with the new movies and well just look at how 'loved' TFA/TLJ have been.

Really it's clear more people want Clone Wars rather then this.

Why do you view a random female hero as "forced?" Can't we just have heroes and who gives a flip about their gender?

This is a kids show. It's on Disney network. Kids need things that are simple. Anyone looking for a graphic, gritty, "serious" show needs to pull their head out and realize what this is. This is for the new generation of Star Wars fans. When I was a kid, I would have loved to see something like this.

Why do you view a random female hero as "forced?" Can't we just have heroes and who gives a flip about their gender?

This is a kids show. It's on Disney network. Kids need things that are simple. Anyone looking for a graphic, gritty, "serious" show needs to pull their head out and realize what this is. This is for the new generation of Star Wars fans. When I was a kid, I would have loved to see something like this.

I do agree that the women part was over the top, but look at the animation. It's freaking terrible. I mean it's low quality garbage.

I'll probably watch it, but I'm not in any rush. I'm not really expecting much. Dave Filoni has done some impressive stuff but the setting and the 2d animation of this is a real turn off (this from someone who loved Avatar, I just don't think it belongs here)

It's forced that's why and it's just the normal pandering to one group of people rather then giving us good characters and a good show.

It's forced that's why and it's just the normal pandering to one group of people rather then giving us good characters and a good show.

Not possible to see if it's forced just from looking at the trailor. You don't get a feel for the characters in such a small sample. I'm not going to give it a chance regardless with how bad it looks visually.

Not possible to see if it's forced just from looking at the trailor. You don't get a feel for the characters in such a small sample. I'm not going to give it a chance regardless with how bad it looks visually.

I won't so far all Disney has done is ruin everything that's great about Star Wars and I'm only looking forward to see how badly this and Episode 9 bomb.

I will stick to the clone wars, at least it isn't all super childish, unlike rebels that was starting to go in that direction, i mean it had its moments, with Rex's old walker taking on the new AT AT imperial walkers, that was interesting to watch, Kallus's character gets expanded on and he and Geb are trapped on this moon threatening to kill each other while at the same time trying to save their lives. all the way to Darth Maul's return and his manipulation of Ezra. but a good number of the other episodes were complete tosh.

now this anime based crap is coming. if i wanted to watch anime? i would watch anime, if i wanted to watch star wars? i'd watch star wars. i don't care for an anime star wars series one bit.

What group are they pandering to? Kids? Yep, pretty sure they want to get the kiddos invested in the franchise.

So, please, tell us about how terrible the characters are in this show that none of us has ever seen. :rolleyes:

This, very much.

There will be plenty off content coming later for older audiences, like Jon Favreau's live action series, Rian Johnson's trilogy, spin-offs and more, but they are under development and production. I believe the wait will be worth in the end once they'll be released in few years.

This, very much.

There will be plenty off content coming later for older audiences, like Jon Favreau's live action series, Rian Johnson's trilogy, spin-offs and more, but they are under development and production. I believe the wait will be worth in the end once they'll be released in few years.

I don't *want* a Jon Favreau live action series not after he got done ruining Marvel for millions of fans. And Rian Johnson needs to be fired after what he did. TLJ is one of the worst films ever made that bombed with people we need real writers who will fix Star Wars and get it back to the way it should be.

I don't *want* a Jon Favreau live action series not after he got done ruining Marvel for millions of fans. And Rian Johnson needs to be fired after what he did. TLJ is one of the worst films ever made that bombed with people we need real writers who will fix Star Wars and get it back to the way it should be.

Yeah, I remember how everybody hated Iron Man and Avengers. Total duds.

At this point, it's obvious that you're just trolling. Or that you're "too cool" for anything that people like. Why don't you tell us what the perfect animated Star Wars show for children should look like, and the perfect live-action Star Wars TV show, and the perfect Star Wars film trilogy. I am eager to read your brilliant ideas. I'm thrilled that our savior has finally arrived and that Star Wars will finally become a household name behind your guidance.

At this point, it's obvious that you're just trolling. Or that you're "too cool" for anything that people like. Why don't you tell us what the perfect animated Star Wars show for children should look like, and the perfect live-action Star Wars TV show, and the perfect Star Wars film trilogy. I am eager to read your brilliant ideas. I'm thrilled that our savior has finally arrived and that Star Wars will finally become a household name behind your guidance.

I can't speak about Jon Favreau, I liked Iron Man (the original, tho 2, was mediocre, and 3 was just bad), I'm not interested in general about comic book movies so no opinion on Avengers, never saw it. However I do not want Rian Johnson writing anything else SW. TLJ was just bad.

It's one of those 3D animations that try to look 2D with plain cel-shading and edge-drawing. I've never been a fan of this style of animation, ever. It's the most plain looking animation style ever.

The trailer had the most cliche kids cartoon consistency as one would expect.

At-least Clone Wars had a distinctive style you absolutely couldn't mix with other 3D style animations. So much so that it really grew on me during the first season. Really love CW style now.

I'll probably still give Resistance a look though, though I have a feeling it won't pleasantly surprise me like CW did.

I can't speak about Jon Favreau, I liked Iron Man (the original, tho 2, was mediocre, and 3 was just bad), I'm not interested in general about comic book movies so no opinion on Avengers, never saw it. However I do not want Rian Johnson writing anything else SW. TLJ was just bad.

I would seriously recommend watching Avengers (at least the first one). I'm in the same boat when it comes to comic book adaptations, but that one was brilliant imo.

Honestly I'm not too worried about Rian Johnson's trilogy. My issue with TLJ wasn't that I found the story bad (other than the totally pointless Finn adventures), it's just that the story we got was Ep VIII

Alright want my ideas?

Have real heroes and villains not forced Mary Sues like Rey and Finn. Get back to what Star Wars was about good and evil. Stop putting real world politics in it as I don't want some SJW telling me how I should view the world from a movie that I want to be entertaining. Respect the old cast, what they did to Luke was unforgivable. Better yet BRING BACK THE EU! There was nothing wrong with the old EU.

Alright want my ideas?

Have real heroes and villains not forced Mary Sues like Rey and Finn. Get back to what Star Wars was about good and evil. Stop putting real world politics in it as I don't want some SJW telling me how I should view the world from a movie that I want to be entertaining. Respect the old cast, what they did to Luke was unforgivable. Better yet BRING BACK THE EU! There was nothing wrong with the old EU.

While I tend to agree with you in general terms, calling Rey and Finn Mary Sues, implying it was all about politics and SJW crap and that there was nothing wrong with the old EU is pure hyperbole.

There are far, far more Mary Sue-ish characters from the EU (which you apparently have no problem with).

There were a few eye-roll worthy moments in there but to go so far as to call it SJW telling you how to view the world leads me to believe that you haven't actually had much contact with them. Believe me, they will cause far more than eye rolling.

And there was a great deal wrong with the old EU. Just because it's better than what replaced it doesn't mean there was "nothing wrong"

I guess I'll check it out. Don't have any information to base an opinion at this point. I never really watched the cartoons. I don't automatically dismiss a film with a female protagonist, but will dump the series depending on how the series and characters are handled...

Ashur

This doesn't look anime-inspired so much as somebody decided to paint over "Reboot" in cell shading. It's also set in the least inspired and engaging Star Wars era yet with a repulsive schoolyard hijinks tone and character direction. The only canon threat they tease is the least-intimidating and most handily trounced villain in a Star Wars movie I can remember. Like with Rebels, hints of how cheaply it's being budgeted are lurking in the scenery and I don't doubt most of the "action" will take place either within the dull confines of this training academy and its featureless ocean world horizons or empty outer space. Dave Filoni is also having nothing to do with it after the project gets off the ground so its lore will be in the same questionable custody of the Lucasfilm story group that has approved of all of the rubbish world building in the Galaxy Far Far Away since TFA.

I was interested in Clone Wars and Rebels despite both clearly being created with the idea of hooking young audiences at least in the beginning. This is just a turn-off from the first look. I'm sure that Disney PR shills will be well-paid to write articles that blame fandom toxicity, male chauvinism, and white nationalism when it fails to live up to its predecessors' accomplishments.

The trailer already has 83,000 dislikes on youtube.

Star war fans really really really don't like this. I think the franchise is broken tbh, it's hit the point of no return, unless Episode 9 is freaking amazing alot of SW fans are never gonna forgive Disney for TLJ and now this.