Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scaling Tech in Group Content Feedback

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
Scaling Tech in Group Content Feedback
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Exly
08.19.2019 , 11:00 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Zinadu View Post
This is the real problem with scaled down ops with hard caps. As you get better gear it won't matter for 95% of the raid content in the game.

So that means if you get the best nim gear the only raid you'll feel any difference in is Dxun. So it literally means you either gear for a single raid, or don't bother trying to improve gear at all really. And if gear will only matter for a single raid why even make gear and not just hard cap stats by level and class so everything is "tuned perfectly"
I would rather they just skip the level cap increase to 75 and leave gear as it is now in the game. Gear grinds are not fun, and scaling down ops wouldn't be necessary if they would just keep the level cap at 70.

dipstik
08.19.2019 , 01:00 PM | #112
i would hope they do not do a hard cap of anything, just nerfs... if a typical group is outperforming by 30%, just reduce the base and bonus damage by that amount. i would prefer to leave crit, accuracy and alacrity where they are (unless those are still being tuned) but you should be able to do everything you need to do in terms of scaling by reducing the main and offhand base damage, and bring down he bonus damage coefficients.

the other option would be tuning the bosses armor reduction but that can get complicated...

i would prefer if hm and nim bosses were all tuned to lvl 75 so people could see their real dps... but if not we will still have parsley (which is problematic with all the different guild buffs).

Ahwassa
08.31.2019 , 04:29 AM | #113
I ran hammer station in vet and master mode last night.
Veteran is way to easy and while I like the master difficulty, I think itīs to hard for a beginners flashpoint.
Especially the bonusboss will be the end for many groups, if healer and tank donīt know what they are doing.

Hope you consider this feedback. Thank you.

Flowwou
08.31.2019 , 06:33 AM | #114
The Scaling tech is not so great cause it makes almost every boss too easy to beat.
We did Terror from beyond Master mode with our 258 stuff or just the 270 stuff that we get from the odessen terminal and we pass every boss just like on the live server without so much difficulty.

But another things to consider which is even worse is the cap stats. Cause with it almost half of our stuff was useless cause we were hard cap in power mastery and else.

The adrenals do not Work, the stim neither just like our relics so what's the point of getting stuff ( moreover with the system that seem way random and need to be farm ) if it's for getting it and find that finally it's useless because of the hard cap

ultimarb
08.31.2019 , 04:57 PM | #115
Just tested Master Mode Hammerstation.
Got synced to LVL 70 with around 110k health. comparted to 140k on live server at the moment.
the real suffer is the max dps of 5k to 5,5k in a bossfight. the figts took ages to complete. we were doing less damage compared to lvl 60 with full 224 gear...

nkarapinha
09.01.2019 , 05:27 PM | #116
I only tested the flashpoint and didn't test the ops.
My Char was copied to pts and started with 252 gear.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Is it too easy?
No
Is it too hard?
No
Do you like this style of balance?
Yes, i loved it. I tried to go to master FP right away and I struggled to finish it as a tank.
After finishing it i did some veteran and more master's and it eventually got easier.
I just think that the difficulty between veteran and master could increase just a bit and the system would be perfect.

OasisKid
09.01.2019 , 06:02 PM | #117
So just saying that EV HM can be done with four players. 3 DPS and a healer. Yeah EV HM was never super hard but the fact that 4 randoms can clear it is kinda upsetting. I am not sure what the goal is here Bioware Devs but the level sync down is not working so much sure things hit hard but you really need to consider either the values or numbers or data you are using when you do level lock or whatever the tech is. If this is the state of all old raids when you launch Onslaught then there is really only one raid worth doing which is Dxun. I fear that if you go down the path of scaling down and you miss the mark by a lot you will basically shoot yourself in the foot. I am sorry to sound so negative just being super honest.
Kytera

GM of <Not Another Meme>

DreadtechSavant
09.01.2019 , 06:43 PM | #118
Hey folks,

Let's talk about the next thing we are introducing to PTS that we would like some testing on, new scaling tech which we are applying to group content in SWTOR. To test this new scaling, we recommend that you test the Flashpoint Hammer Station or one of two Operations; Karagga's Palace or Eternity Vault.

The idea behind this scaling tech is that we are trying to avoid some of the pitfalls from previous expansions. By re-leveling them to max level, we effectively have to rebalance them all over again. This creates some obvious issues where FPs and Ops can quickly become too easy, or too hard. The goal of applying this scaling tech is that it will allow us to leverage the original balance that for this content.

Take a spin through this content and if you want to really see how it plays, compare it on PTS to other FPs and Ops. Let us know what you think.
  • Is it too easy?
  • Is it too hard?
  • Do you like this style of balance?
Thanks all.

-eric
Well what can I say to this? First as a solo player this was not good news really to begin with, but did try as a solo player Hammer Station which was OK. For me the balance on vet mode was just right for solo play. Which may mean to easy for group play. But as long as there is a vet mode and master mode it should not be too much of an issue. Over all despite the initial dread this well at least for Hammer Station was one of the few positive things so far. As a solo player it has added something back into play for me. So that's good. hope vet mode stays how it is now on PTS. I will let group players comment on master mode version, which to me is really needs to be set for groups. I really hope that all the vet modes stay solo friendly and master mode stays group friendly. But please make drops for groups equal with no roll items. That may even get me into group play. Never going to do group play if there only ever going to be a 1 in 4 chance of getting the roll item.

Hammer Station on Vet mode./
10/10 Hope the other follow suit.

ottffsse
09.01.2019 , 08:52 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by ultimarb View Post
Just tested Master Mode Hammerstation.
Got synced to LVL 70 with around 110k health. comparted to 140k on live server at the moment.
the real suffer is the max dps of 5k to 5,5k in a bossfight. the figts took ages to complete. we were doing less damage compared to lvl 60 with full 224 gear...
I ran it several now after getting gear to around "average" 278 (so not too high and not too low) - but I had set bonuses and tactical but no augments and the fights felt kind of like I remember them on live. I was on 'ling and could break over 9k on each fight in the above gear (278 set boni but no augments). So I think that is fine.

Now KP (ops) feel too easy because level sync to 50, but the level 70 sync is fine.
ref http://www.swtor.com/r/gFbhFZ Melisen / Sage Zrella / Sorc

MaximusRex
09.01.2019 , 10:55 PM | #120
Is it too easy?

My guild did Hammer Station Veteran Mode and Karagga's Palace Story Mode.

Hammer Station was stupid easy, we got to the point of trying to drag as much of the trash with us to the bosses to make it even a bit challenging. Even doing this we wiped only one, and that is because I forgot to save a CD as the tank, and we neglected using the healing terminals.

KP SM felt about normal, maybe a bit easier than normal, or at least faster.

Is it too hard?

The content we tested was either too easy or about the same as it has been.

Do you like this style of balance?

Overall as long as labeling a mode, Story, Veteran, Master, means that all content at that level feels consistent, and that each version feels like a step up, I think it's fine. I do know that guild mates worry about Master Mode ops being made to feel like gear doesn't matter, and that they are too easy, and I can see this concern as being valid.