Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is your opinion about Dantooine?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is your opinion about Dantooine?

Rion_Starkiller
06.14.2019 , 09:00 AM | #171
It would help if people defined what they mean by "solo player." Solo could mean:

1. You do absolutely zero group content. You do all content by yourself and actively ignore every player around you.
  2. You don't belong to any guild, and you actively avoid ties to other players, but you will use the Group Finder to do daily pvp or FP's. You also may occasionally do the WB's on Ossus.
  3. You belong to a guild, but only for the XP/Conquest/Rep bonus. You may or may not participate in Group Finder content, but for the most part you play a vast majority of the game by yourself.

I think one of the misconceptions that so-called solo players have is that people that do group content only do group content. There's a ton of content in this game that is more preferable to do solo. So virtually every player you see running around in a group also does and has done solo content.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

Damask_Rose
06.14.2019 , 10:10 AM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Noerra View Post
And not just that but it is very disrespectful to assume that people who want to do solo content are bad players. Sounds like a bad case of false-consensus bias where people think majority agrees with them and that there must be something wrong on those who don't.
I'm going to give a little anecdote as a counter to the whole "group content is harder so deserves better rewards" argument. My mother-in-law is a horrible player in every game she has ever played. She gravitates toward group actives so she can be carried and not learn how to play. Playing solo for her is much harder since she doesn't know what she is doing. Like, at all.

IoNonSoEVero
06.14.2019 , 12:52 PM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinhammer View Post
If this was directed at me--this isn't at all what I was saying. I play a lot of solo content. I'm one of the first people in this thread to say they H4s on Dantooine are easy solos. I've done it, nearly did reactor boss with no comp until I bugged into a wall. I love to challenge myself in this way. As soon as I put on 230 gear way back when the first thing I did was run out and see how many Vet FPs I could solo (note: you do not need 230+ gear). My point was a lot of people who complain about 'it's too hard why should I be forced to group?' don't know mechanics, classes etc. because I've personally seen how many players in game don't know them. It's why they can't do it solo.

I even said I don't consider myself a "good" player. So if I, as an "eh he's okay" player can do it, then so can you. I've even given specific pointers in this thread on how to solo the Heroics on Dant. So have a few other users. I specifically mentioned a Youtube channel where to find videos of it being solo'd. I did that research going into the H4s because I love to try solo content. At no point did I imply "if you want to do it solo you're a baddie". That doesn't even make sense to me.
I think it's important to remember that we're not just talking about whether a solo player *can* do the content, but whether it's something appealing enough to want to exert the effort. We return to that time/effort/fun algorithim. The solo player might be perfectly capable of doing the content, but it's so tedious or long or whatever that there's no desire to repeat it.

I can get through the Vaylin fights in KOTET just fine without dying, but it doesn't mean I find them fun or want to replay them on a regular basis. I did the Eternal Champions for the experience and to get Bowdaar, but I don't want to revisit it every month for an event. By the same token, being able to complete the heroics on Dantooine doesn't mean that they're not tedious for some players. There have been people who grouped for the heroics who have posted that they didn't find the heroics fun and don't want to do them again. For content that is supposed to be extremely repeatable, that would seen to be an issue.

We do have different playstyles in this game, and IMHO that's important to remember with something that's supposed to be an event for players at most levels. Splitting the weekly wouldn't stop anyone who wanted the challenge of doing the heroics solo. It would just mean that more play styles and levels would be accommodated.

lightSaberAddiCt
06.14.2019 , 02:23 PM | #174
Or they could keep it fair and simple and keep the weekly the way it is. If people don't feel they don't want to do it, don't do it. But solo players do not get to redefine the game, because they want to be given easy payoffs for no effort.

I mean the grind to complete all the heroics for the Dantooine weekly is a joke as it is. No need to make it even more ridiculously easy, since there is literally no grind. I mean it takes MAYBE 25 minutes to complete all of them. That is called playing a game, not a job. Not to mention the whole "a game shouldnt be work" is asinine to begin with.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

IoNonSoEVero
06.14.2019 , 02:32 PM | #175
Quote: Originally Posted by lightSaberAddiCt View Post
Or they could keep it fair and simple and keep the weekly the way it is. If people don't feel they don't want to do it, don't do it. But solo players do not get to redefine the game, because they want to be given easy payoffs for no effort.

I mean the grind to complete all the heroics for the Dantooine weekly is a joke as it is. No need to make it even more ridiculously easy, since there is literally no grind. I mean it takes MAYBE 25 minutes to complete all of them. That is called playing a game, not a job. Not to mention the whole "a game shouldnt be work" is asinine to begin with.
So because it's easy for you, that means it's easy for all players, including the level 30s and 40s playing it. Because it takes you a certain amount of time, every player should meet the bar you've set. Got it.

How would it affect you, personally, if they split the weekly? You could still play any way you chose. The difference is that more players would also be able to play. That doesn't stop you from still playing as you wish or earning any rewards you want. Or do you think every player should be forced to play as you do? The heroic and daily weeklies on Ossus don't have the same payouts. Nobody would be expecting that they would here, either.

IoNonSoEVero
06.14.2019 , 02:36 PM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
I'm going to give a little anecdote as a counter to the whole "group content is harder so deserves better rewards" argument. My mother-in-law is a horrible player in every game she has ever played. She gravitates toward group actives so she can be carried and not learn how to play. Playing solo for her is much harder since she doesn't know what she is doing. Like, at all.
Yeah, that's the elephant in the room. Being in a group DOES NOT mean the player is working harder in any way. There's actually less effort needed. Weren't there some guilds before who would carry people through Ops for the rewards, if enough credits were offered?

Noerra
06.14.2019 , 02:41 PM | #177
Putting quotes in spoilertags so post will not get too long. There is no actual spoilers in them.

Spoiler

It wasn't directed straight at you although your post was a nudge for me to post that (because it is not so uncommon that those who really strongly promote group play try to make the ones doing solo content look bad, unsocial or just lazy). I do apprechiate you sharing your experience and tips about those heroics as well, but my concern was on rewards (or lack of them) of the normal dailies, not so much difficulty of heroics. I think rewards from those heroics are probably just fine.

Spoiler

This is why i try to talk about solo content (or players who do solo content) and why i was writing on my earlier post about how solo playing can be constant, situational or selective style (just as examples). So when i am talking about solo play i don't mean that player never groups or such i mean player who is that moment preferring to do content that can be done alone/solo/not groupped.

Spoiler

This is what i been trying to say. It is not about if something is doable but if something is same time fun, rewarding and in general something i want to do that moment. For example when i am doing content like dailies it is usually at time when i want to just play alone and not to talk to people, stop and afk when i feel like it (without making others wait) and in general just unwind and relax. It is definately not time when i would want to go through hassle of finding group and run content on speed dictated by group. It also is not time when i want big challenges that i have to study tactics from videos or guides.

This all does not mean i am not able to do harder content or that i never group or that i never want to socialize in game. It is situational. But i do want that those dailies that i do alone also offer rewards that make them worth doing, otherwise i can all the same go to random planet and start to shoot random mobs and click random objects. Which on this case might actually be more rewarding than Dantooine normal dailies are, just from random loot gained.

kodrac
06.14.2019 , 03:00 PM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by lightSaberAddiCt View Post
Not to mention the whole "a game shouldnt be work" is asinine to begin with.
I already have a job for the daily grind, thanks. Soloing group content is not my idea of fun. While I could do it, it's tedious and boring. if it was meant ti be done solo it wouldn't be called an H4. If their intent is for people to actually group, make it too hard to solo (but then elitists would QQ right?) and separate it from the solo parts.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.

Jdast
06.14.2019 , 06:48 PM | #179
I don't think many people here would dispute the philosophical position that group content should offer greater rewards since it requires greater coordination (potentially).

The issue for many of us is tying group content to weeklies and / or events. As Casira noted several days ago (though to be sure, I naturally thought of it first given my Hutt-like intelligence)...

Ossus actually got something right. You had a menu of options on how to complete the weekly. I wouldn't even be opposed to saying that completing a group daily counts as 2 or 4 dailies or to an event goal. Personally, I think the H4 type content is a waste of resources because it doesn't lend itself to weekly grinds / events.

But ultimately, as Ion has eloquently noted (though, like Casira, she stole the thought from me)...

You are not going to magically persuade people or lure them into liking certain kinds of content. A lot of us have been around the block. Several times.

TL-DR: Some in this thread are conflating group rewards with weekly / event rewards. Analytically, they are two distinct categorically different categories.

<<sips martini>>

Dasty