Return Force Lightning/Telekinetic Throw To Sith Assassins/Jedi Shadows

Ylliarus

You do realise I have both a Sorc and an Assassin that I play? If you think you're being witty here then please, let me end your delusions. The fact you behave like this is somewhat ridiculous, because you act as if players who play Assassins instead of Sorcs at least killed one of your family members. Your delusions of feeling better as a Sorc than an Assassins does you absolutely no good when it comes to public perceptions and I am inclined to believe you're a troll.

Nah he's just got a member count that I would identify as missing out on the golden era of swtor. I would assume he came around 3.x or maybe later.

But he's making claims on lightning as if Sorc's should have had phasewalk which was indeed an exclusive assassin ability for the case of lightning or crushing darkness both was base class abilities that neither held exclusive rights too so that's the other flaw in his belief.

Frankly, getting depredating bolts and keeping your basic lightning attack are a big part of why I go tank in alacrity dps gesr for my spec. Since I don’t do PVP or high end raiding I’m willing to trade some damage to actually feel like a proper gish (i.e. a class that uses a mix of melee and spellcasting; excelling at neither, but gaining advantage through their flexibility).

My true preference would be an actual dps version of the darkness spec; just scale the acc, damage and defensive buffs to be in line with dps instead of tank (so the passive debuffs it applies with attacks would be to defenses/healing instead of to acc and damage, you’d need accuracy since you’d not get the +10% from tank spec, but wouldn’t get the damage penalty either, etc.).

Nah he's just got a member count that I would identify as missing out on the golden era of swtor. I would assume he came around 3.x or maybe later.

But he's making claims on lightning as if Sorc's should have had phasewalk which was indeed an exclusive assassin ability for the case of lightning or crushing darkness both was base class abilities that neither held exclusive rights too so that's the other flaw in his belief.

Exactly, no one advanced class has had or has a monopoly on any of the abilities, or at least, shouldn't have one. Force Lightning, Crushing Darkness, Phasewalk (naturally also including the Repside counterparts) were all part of the Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular classes respectively. When the devs removed those abilities from the class in the Assassin and Shadow advanced classes, they made a huge mistake. Especially if you play a Sith Inquisitor it can be at times really frustrating, being able to torture someone with Force Lightning in the cutscenes but not being able to cast Force Lightning at mobs or enemy players.

Frankly, getting depredating bolts and keeping your basic lightning attack are a big part of why I go tank in alacrity dps gesr for my spec. Since I don’t do PVP or high end raiding I’m willing to trade some damage to actually feel like a proper gish (i.e. a class that uses a mix of melee and spellcasting; excelling at neither, but gaining advantage through their flexibility).

My true preference would be an actual dps version of the darkness spec; just scale the acc, damage and defensive buffs to be in line with dps instead of tank (so the passive debuffs it applies with attacks would be to defenses/healing instead of to acc and damage, you’d need accuracy since you’d not get the +10% from tank spec, but wouldn’t get the damage penalty either, etc.).

That's a very interesting take on the Sith Assassin class and basically how I had viewed it as well, a spellcaster who also wants to be able to use melee. But isn't a set up like you described not allowed? Or do I misunderstand the concept of a skank tank? But then again, if you don't do PvP I don't think it would matter even if the build you described was indeed a skank tank (not saying it is of course).

• 1 year later...

100% agree. I played the game awhile back and fell in love with the Sith assassin. Mainly because I could use force lightning. But it all came together so well. Loved the saber combat. I come back to this game heart broken. Started the fallen empire expansion and immediately was confused as to why my lvl 60 assassin cant force lightning anymore. All that work. All that time. Wasted in my eyes. Because they took away the one thing I enjoyed most about the class.

Now I'm starting a stupid sorcerer. Just for force lightning. I won't enjoy it as much because I already have a healer on the republic side and I really really hate this. I stood staring in anger at my screen for a long time. Out of the million things star wars has done to tick me off this takes the cake. When will developers learn they shouldn't remove features. Only improve or add.

I'm really trying to like this game and give you money(I subbed again and regretting it) but jeez when you do everything to push a player away I dont know if they're purposely trying to kill this game or what. Like... people want star wars. But they dont want this... I know that became a huge rant. Forgive me.

My understanding of Star Wars lore is that those two sub-classes are more melee focused. Removing those abilities from the Sith Assassin and Jedi Shadows makes sense. That's why the Sith Sorcerer and Jedi Sage still have those abilities because their sub-class is more force focused. So, BioWare didn't do anything wrong in that aspect if they are following the Star Wars lore.

My understanding of Star Wars lore is that those two sub-classes are more melee focused. Removing those abilities from the Sith Assassin and Jedi Shadows makes sense. That's why the Sith Sorcerer and Jedi Sage still have those abilities because their sub-class is more force focused. So, BioWare didn't do anything wrong in that aspect if they are following the Star Wars lore.

I don't think the op and the other complainers are really concerned with lore, but their personal enjoyment of the character fantasy they created in their mind. I can understand that, but there were ample reasons to remove the ability from assassins and shadows and it was no change for the sake of change.

It became not only useless but also exploitable in competitive endgame. A 3-second channeled ability that forces you to not move is pretty much the worst attack a slippery stealth dps class can have.

Same for Blade Dance/Barrage and Ravage. Many players might mourn their change since the original 3-second animation looked very cool and iconic to fulfill the melee lightsaber wielding fantasy, but it was a pretty bad ability in PvP. Sometimes gameplay trumps fantasy.

Edited by Phazonfreak

BTW, this game is certainly not the only one that had to alter or remove iconic abilites due to complications concerning gameplay balance.

The best and most current example is probably Hanzo in Overwatch and his scatter arrows. This ability was so ingrained in his abilities kit (and so broken) that you can still see remnants of it not only as an existing ability in HotS, but also in his very own lore cinematic in Overwatch.

Edited by Phazonfreak

• 1 year later...

I to miss force lightning on my Assassin. it counted as a channeled DoT so worked well with my spec for a filler and medium damage that had a slow. They took a lot of identity from assassins, most of it they gave to sorc's. Marauders can stealth, operatives can heal, cleanse gap open and close. aoe cc ec, ect, Assassins can??? oh it was all removed.

P.S

Make Bring assassins' in line with other classes.

Edited by Ceannladair