Ask me anything / Training

Drakkolich

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I dont think you will like my approach but I think asking doesnt hurt :)

Are there any other such tricks? I got some of the achievments with multiboxin and killing myself (like the 15 kills in one match) that way i got kills, damage, kill to live ratio and im not influencing he match that much since i have a ship on both sides. I also noticed that the "Mastering ship components" will be a real grind.

You are correct. Your approach just hurts people who genuinely want to play.

2nd point, it's not much of an achievement if you're 'farming yourself.'

-Adding a few zeroes to your bank balance doesn't make you a millionaire.

If you like GSF and want to improve, there are plenty of people here on the forums and in-game who will happily help. We like to think we're part of a big family, not toxic like some of the ground PvP-ers.

Now, I have a question too. What is the significance of achievements to you?

This is kind of my addiction, I simply like to see all the numbers green, its very hard to explain. However, dont worry i got the needed achievments that i need which could be done with killing myself. Now its time for farming the played ships, mastering ship equipment and so on. I will have to be a team player now since ill need defensive and offensive achievments, kill assists etc.

This is kind of my addiction, I simply like to see all the numbers green, its very hard to explain. However, dont worry i got the needed achievments that i need which could be done with killing myself. Now its time for farming the played ships, mastering ship equipment and so on. I will have to be a team player now since ill need defensive and offensive achievments, kill assists etc.

The best way to get those is to simply play the game. The better you get, the easier they become.

Edited by Greezt

I am not exactly bad in GSF, just getting some achievments vastly depends on the group, warzone, the enemy composition etc. Its not that in your hand.

Most of them are in fact in your hand. Many medals you can reliably get every match if you put your mind to it, as well as the ones for getting 5 power ups (for example). As for the winning ones - you are at the mercy of the group finder, for sure. Still, you have to agree that the better you are, the mote you'll win...

Edited by Greezt

I am not exactly bad in GSF, just getting some achievments vastly depends on the group, warzone, the enemy composition etc. Its not that in your hand.

Getting a regular group to fly with tends to help with that. For that matter, grouping at all tends to help, and as a bonus you get faster queue pops as the matchmaker favors groups over solo players.

As a solidly mediocre player who favors strikes to a ridiculous extent, I typically get a long term average win rate of 65% to 75%.

The really good gunship and scout pilots often do quite a bit better than that.

The really good gunship and scout pilots that reliably group with other good pilots can achieve win rates above 95%.

Skill, teamwork and ship choice make a really big difference in GSF. Skill and ship choice you can control, teamwork you can influence very strongly.

• 3 months later...
I missed your last streams, but I have a related question; what would it take to get a Drako 4-man up and running?

Well 2 nights ago we had one, I was playing with Verain, Sanic and Sriia.

Verain, Sanic and I are currently trying to get going again but it's hard because I can't play every night.

I can't find Xiaoyu anywhere so to get permanent 4 man I'd need to find/train a replacement.

I'm curious why do you ask? Are you angling for the position?

Well 2 nights ago we had one, I was playing with Verain, Sanic and Sriia.

Verain, Sanic and I are currently trying to get going again but it's hard because I can't play every night.

I can't find Xiaoyu anywhere so to get permanent 4 man I'd need to find/train a replacement.

I'm curious why do you ask? Are you angling for the position?

That's flattering! I doubt I can fill any shoes, and anyway I fly only weekends (and not all of them). I'd love to see some of that old 4-man action again though, I was wondering if some competition would bring them back. I'll catch up on that stream.

Also, I miss Verain's posts on the forums. Like being cut by an eloquent knife... Both entertaining and insightful.

That's flattering! I doubt I can fill any shoes, and anyway I fly only weekends (and not all of them). I'd love to see some of that old 4-man action again though, I was wondering if some competition would bring them back. I'll catch up on that stream.

Also, I miss Verain's posts on the forums. Like being cut by an eloquent knife... Both entertaining and insightful.

If you're interested I'm sure we could work something out for Sunday for you to come join us.

I'd like to get some 4-man action in too, right now it's figuring out a schedule that's more the problem. Finding a new fourth will be interesting too.

Sundays are hard on my currently; I usually am away from my PC by Saturday evening. If I can catch you at the time, I'll be sure to show up.

I'm looking forwards to seeing it either way, and it's great to hear that some of the group at least is returning.

Great to see you are paying GSF again some more visits, Drakolich.

I have a bomber question for you:

The typical CP bomber stacks damage reduction to 39% + 60% for charged plating.

As we all know there are plenty of weapons ignoring armor. Their tool tip says "ignores 100% of enemy armor".

Now the question:

Did you ever use Nullify on top of Charged Plating?

And if so: Did you then have 29% damage reduction against AP weapons (39+60+30-100) or was the stat completely ignored?

Just reading the descriptions I would expect damage reduction to be completely ignored by AP weapons - no matter the value.

But GSF does calculate a lot of values by mere adding and subtracting percentage values.

It's not that easy to test. But maybe you did this already some time ago.

@Blizzax:

I tried adding Nullify to the mix sometime ago. Sadly I don't have done any scienitifc tests with it. But the Feeling I got from a few flying against some Scout was that it doesn't really make a difference.

Since it is only a feeling from a few games it makes me want to test it if someone else hasn't tested it already.

Well I hope it helps a little bit ^^'

Great to see you are paying GSF again some more visits, Drakolich.

I have a bomber question for you:

The typical CP bomber stacks damage reduction to 39% + 60% for charged plating.

As we all know there are plenty of weapons ignoring armor. Their tool tip says "ignores 100% of enemy armor".

Now the question:

Did you ever use Nullify on top of Charged Plating?

And if so: Did you then have 29% damage reduction against AP weapons (39+60+30-100) or was the stat completely ignored?

Just reading the descriptions I would expect damage reduction to be completely ignored by AP weapons - no matter the value.

But GSF does calculate a lot of values by mere adding and subtracting percentage values.

It's not that easy to test. But maybe you did this already some time ago.

I had this same thoughts when we were just starting to play around with the charged plating build, since everything in gsf seems to be adding and subtracting it must work right?

Sadly Armor penetration seems to just be an "On and Off" button. If you have it your opponents damage reduction stat just does nothing.

However I'm pretty sure (It was pretty hard to test) that the armor penetration given by Plasma railgun works in the way you're describing. It's because Plasma's ability doesn't give armor penetration it simply says lowers the targets damage reduction.

Great, thanks for you answer.

Sadly Armor penetration seems to just be an "On and Off" button. If you have it your opponents damage reduction stat just does nothing.

I guess, it's quite ok that way. Sometimes it's difficult enough to scratch a good bomber from a node.

Those 29% DR even against BLC/Pods or slugs would buy them valuable additional seconds to hold the satellite.

Nullify can be used on a plating bomber if timed between uses of charged plating, but it's pretty niche in that use. Frankly, I think the entire charged plating / armor penetration mechanic is just odd to begin with. I mean, when you read armor penetration for the first time, your assumption might be that it takes a 30% hull damage reduction down to zero, and weigh it against other options. Instead, you rapidly learn that many ships spend a majority of their combat time with literal invincibility except against weapons with that magic upgrade. It's way more pokemony than you'd normally expect in a game like this.

A couple of GSF related snippets I think are relevant to this thread.

Fastest turning is in balanced power (F4) with S pressed. Credit to Neutrinos for testing this.

F1/F2 are multiplicative, not additive. Probably F3 too, but I don't know how boosting adds up. Here's a discussion on the subject (page 6).

Related - Bleedthrough/shield piercing shots use hull damage, and border shots use hull damage as well. This is almost always irrelevant to TTK, but a notable exception is when ioning someone.

Damage might be floored before crit, but this is not certain yet. I'll try and test it today and see if I can get results.

Sub's almost out, so I thought I'd share.

• 5 months later...
This has almost certainly been answered in the 83 pages of this thread, so sorry if you have answered this, but what is the best Gunship and Bomber, and what are the best weapons/defensives to use? (I believe scout is sting). Obviously I understand that there are time & places as well (what works for death match may not work for satellites) but a noob friendly TLDR version would be something I greatly appreciate.

This has almost certainly been answered in the 83 pages of this thread, so sorry if you have answered this, but what is the best Gunship and Bomber, and what are the best weapons/defensives to use? (I believe scout is sting). Obviously I understand that there are time & places as well (what works for death match may not work for satellites) but a noob friendly TLDR version would be something I greatly appreciate.

Oh man were starting off heavy I like it!

Thanks for the question LordTurin. I'm pretty sure too we've covered this question alot but since I've been at this for awhile I don't expect anyone to go through all those questions just to make sure it hasn't been asked before. With that said to anyone not sure if they should ask a question for that fear seriously just ask!

Let's start with Best Gunship, let's all keep in mind this is my personal opinion!

I think the Mangler/Quarrel T1 Gunship is the best one. My favorite loadout is Burst lasers, Slug Rails, Ion Rails, Distortion field, Barrel Roll, Regeneration extender, Lightweight armor, Large reactor, Dampening sensors.

This ship is great at dueling other Gunships since it has all the evasion you can get. It's also great in Domination to clear nodes of Mines for your teammates since Ion has an AoE upgrade that will sweep all those pesky mines away. It is a little weak when pressured but that's easily remedied by playing with some friends or just hanging out near teammates in game.

On to the Bombers. This ones a little harder as they have very different roles based on map type. So I'm going to give you a 2 for 1 and tell you one for each map type.

Team Death Match: In this type I prefer the Legion/Warcarrier T2 Bomber. The usefulness of a Bomber in Death match is area denial. Which primarily is used to stop enemy Scouts since they're usually the only ones actually moving into your teams space.

The build I use is Heavy lasers, Seeker mines, Railgun drone, Repair drone, Shield power converter, Regeneration extender, Communication sensors, Large Reactor, Lightweight armor.

This build lets me setup what we call a "nest" somewhere on the map. This nest lets my teammates have an area to retreat too if they are being followed or are in need of repairs. In Team death match much of the game resolves around controlling the all powerful Damage Overcharge power ups. So setting up a nest that controls many of the spawn points, or dissuades the enemy from going that direction to go get one is really important.

Domination: In this type I prefer the Razorwire/Rampart T1 Bomber. This Bomber is really well setup to not only take nodes away from the enemy but also hold them. Also and perhaps more importantly it brings Hyperspace beacon, spawning in close to the objectives is invaluable in Domination!

The build I use is Heavy lasers, Interdiction mines, Seismic mines, Charged plating, Hyperspace beacon, Large Reactor, Deflection armor, Communication sensors, Regeneration extender.

This build lets us take down turrets fast since we have Armor penetration on our lasers. It lets us tank enemy mines and non armor penetration weapons like cluster missiles by using Charged plating to get a whopping 99% damage reduction to our hull. The Interdiction mines let us actually compete with Scouts on the satellite since once they get hit by one we are actually more maneuverable then they are. Seismic mines raw damage will eliminate threats for you quickly.

It also lets us put down the all important Hyperspace beacon which can win games on it's own. Allowing other friendly bomber to arrive to satellites faster and maintaining more engine energy is just so good.

I hope that answered your question! I hope I didn't make it too long for ya.

If you'd like more information on what I play you can find all my ship builds here, I'm pretty sure they are up to date maybe missing some very minor changes.

If you like videos you should check out my YouTube channel link is in my signature. I actually have tutorial videos up for the both the Mangler and the Razorwire.

Before getting to business I would like to say thank you Drakkolich for coming back and bringing this thread back to life. So I hope nobody is to angry that I start with an "user testimonial". People who follow this thread can pinpoint when I started flying, December 2015, because I put a question there after around 10 games of flying. Drakkolich answer I revisited during January this year. Why? The answer that Drakkolich gave me went miles further than what I was asking. In fact after at that point I just had finished around 10 games and was still trying to figure out why the scouts I fly don't fly in a straight line but instead look like I am riding a bull which didn't happened on other ship typs and I was also fighting why I always lose missile locks so the part of Drakkolich answer that went beyond my original question I didn't understand what he was talking about at that point of time. Anyway after I got what I wanted at that point of time I was still happy and decided to continue working on the basics until I get there that I understand what he was talking about. And yes what I wanted to say with that after one year of flying I finally reached the point that I came up with the question that Drakkolich already answered when I was asking my original question. So he didn't only answered not only my original question but he also figured out the inevitable follow up question even when I needed one year to get there. But than all I needed was to reread his original answer because he already had me covered. So one year later I was even more impressed with Drakkolich answer than original.

And because Drakkolich is Drakkolich he also answered Lord Turin innocent question in a way that he was already talking about the topics I wanted to ask to advertice Drakkolich other resources for the target audience of this thread. :p:D

But after I want details lets go anyway.

1) Drakkolich already mentoined his shipbuild thread and that it is mostly up to date (that was the first part of my question). For the cartel market which are copies of other regular ships what would be your alternative build including upgrades and crew members if someone would want to use the cartel ships to explore a different build of the ship builds you posted in your thread?

2) Drakkolich also mentoined the damage overcharge clusters, which are power up spawnpoints in team deathmatches who only spawn damage overcharge and nothing else. What he didn't mentoined is his damage overcharge spawnpoint location guide where you can see screenshots and maps where you can find this spawnpoints. And yes my question was if you see the need to set up a gunship nest in a TDM how much do you consider the location of the super clusters to decide where to set up the nest?

I recently PUGed into a TDM imperial side no wargame where someone decided that the bombers should set up a nest in the B4 grid of the Lost Shipyard Map. Not only was that awfull close to the friendly spawnpoints which opened up B2 for the enemy scouts to attack our own spawn points it also sacrifieced the entire C row of the map where most of the superclusters on the map are located so that the enemy gunships could sit close to the superclusters and pick apart who was sitting inside the nest because they could ignore the bombers who didn't post a thread to them. After in addition to the location before I complained 4 bombers where building a nest for a single gunship and after I complained 3 bombers where building a nest for 2 gunships to say that that game was a beating was an understatement. And in my opinion the location of the nest was as much to blame as the ship composition.

Thank you for the very kind words Flussaeure! I'm so glad my answer was that helpful!

On to your questions!

1: So there are only 2 Cartel ships I would actually use and those the Ocula/Skybolt (Alternate Sting/Flashfire T2 Scout) and the Onslaught/Firehauler (Alternate Legion/Warcarrier T2 Bomber)

For the Ocula I usually keep it setup as a Quads and Pods setup for hunter Gunships. (Lately I've been trying my friend Micals build which is a very close setup just using Burst instead of Quads)

The build

Primary: Quad Laser Cannon (Crit/Shield damage)

Secondary: Rocket Pods (Ammo/Range)

System: Targeting Telemetry (Evasion/Crit Magnitude)

Shield: Distortion Field (Missile break)

Engine: Retro Thrusters (Engine power)

Armor: Lightweight Armor

Capacitor: Damage Capacitor

Thruster: Regeneration Thruster

Reactor: Large Reactor

Copilot Ability: Salana Rok/Akaavi Spar Wingman

Crew: Empire: Offensive: Lieutenant Pierce 6% Accuracy/25% Ammo Defensive: Vector 5% Evasion/10% Shield max Tactical: Salana Rok 5000m Communication/3500m Focus Engineering: 2V-R8 13% Engine efficiency/ 13% Blaster efficiency

Republic: Offensive: Kira Carsen 6% Accuracy/25% Ammo Defensive: Nadia Grell 5% Evasion/10% Shield max Tactical: Akaavi Spar 2000m Dampening/5000m Communication Engineering: Yuun 13% Engine efficiency/ 13% Blaster efficiency

The differences for Micals build I've been using have been Burst lasers, Range Capacitor and Blizz/C2-N2 engineering crew.

As for the Onslaught/Firehauler the advantage here would be to have both a Domination setup and a Death match setup on your bar. So if you were using my Legion/Warcarrier Death match setup for instance, you could bring an Onslaught/Firehauler to get a Domination setup. They would look fairly similar except for minor differences. (Slight note while checking my ship builds I realized my Warcarrier one wasn't up to date so I'll be changing that to my current Deathmatch setup)

You might want something like this for Domination. The difference to my other build is very minor but the playstyle does change. The differences are Interdiction drone instead of Railgun drone and Seeker mines AoE instead of the extra mine. Since you really like the AoE stuff in domination since everyone is clumped up and it helps clear enemy mines.

Primary: Heavy Laser Cannon (Armor pen/Shield Pen)

Secondary: Seeker Mine (Speed/Radius)

System: Interdiction Drone (Slow/Extra Drone)

Shield: Repair Drone (Ammo)

Engine: Shield Power Converter (Max Engine Pool)

Sensor: Communication Sensor

Magazine: Regeneration Extender

Reactor: Large Reactor

Armor: Reinforced Armor

Copilot Ability:Scorpio/Lord Scourge Suppression

Crew: Empire: Offensive: Jaesa Willsam 6% Accuracy/2 Degrees arc Defensive: Xalek 9% Damage Reduction/10% Shield max Tactical: Scorpio 3000m Radius/3500m Focus Engineering: Blizz 13% Engine efficiency/ 10% Engine Pool

Republic: Offensive: Qyzen Fess 6% Accuracy/2 Degrees arc Defensive: M1-4X 9% Damage Reduction/10% Shield max Tactical: Lord Scourge 3000m Radius/5000m Communication Engineering: C2-N2 13% Engine efficiency/ 10% Engine Pool

On to question 2!

Controlling the map is pretty much the whole game in Death match, Damage overcharge is so important that it will single handedly decide matches for which team gets a lot more of them. Controlling the map is also important for gathering the other power ups as well most notably the Engine power up (Purple one) since it gives you extra evasion as well as engine regeneration rate it's highly sought after to counter enemy Gunships.

Now with that in mind setting up a nest where you can control as much of the map as possible is super important. Choosing a location for your team to defend the powers ups is probably the highest factor. However blindly charging to an area your team hasn't pushed too isn't a good idea. So when you start the game it's best to put up your first nest a little closer to home and once your team gets a small foothold slowly push up to your "ideal" location. Usually you can do this with your second rotation of cooldowns.

So to use your game as an example Starting the game by setting up a nest in the B4 grid is great, it gives your team a spot to retreat to if the first engagement doesn't go well, be it they got the first Damage overcharge or maybe someone just got a string of lucky hits/crits. But once your cooldowns come back up if your team has pushed out even a little passed where you are currently it means it's time to move up, hopefully you can push up to your "ideal" spot at this point, but if not inch forward a little.

In Lost shipyards the controlling the absolute middle of the map is super important since there are a whopping 5 Damage overcharge spawn points there. Also if you control the middle it's usually easy to head north or south to pick up those two spawn points as well. Completely conceding the map in general is a terrible idea, there are a few edge cases where you might get an advantage from doing so, I won't go super in details about those since this is getting pretty long already.

So I hope that was helpful! If you have more questions or I didn't answer something satisfactorily let me know!