Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm TIRED of how Ranked works.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
I'm TIRED of how Ranked works.

StepTNT
08.18.2017 , 11:43 AM | #1
This is something like a rant, so feel free to move over.

Today I lost 70+ rating due to how Ranked works, and this is the last time that this happens as I won't renew my subscription for a very long time, even if it's sad as I've been a loyal sub since 2.0.

The amount of cr@p that we have to deal with in solo ranked is way too much for something that should be fun, and it's all related to your bad choices.

First of all, you allow every undergeared and unexperienced player to join a Ranked arena because the entry requirement is a joke, plus, you give them a daily quest that they will try to complete to get gear. The result is that we get players without bonus set, stim and augments playing in the same arena with someone with min/maxed gear that is struggling to get a little bit of points just to get into T3 (after being T1 for 4 seasons in a row).

This leads basically to 4vs3 games, but you'll still lose rating as in a normal 4vs4 because the 4th useless player is there. When politely asked why is he playing in a competitive game mode without the appropriate gear and skill, that 4th useless player usually replies that he needs to complete the daily if he wants to get gear, and this is the direct consequence of how you implemented Galactic Command.

I also saw people kicking "noobs" from a Ranked arena so that they couldn't complete their daily, and the reasoning behind this is that if you let me lose rating because of your daily, I'll try to stop you from completing it. Do you want to encourage this behavior?

Talking about gear again, is it hard to require a minimum gear rating of 246 to join the Ranked queue during an active season? I don't mind about preseason, but you can't let people do dailies while I'm grinding for 7 points (yeah, 7 if you win and -14 if you lose, as always..).

If not undergeared or unexperienced, some of them are either trolls or wintraders (you know, the only way of getting 4k rating on 2 characters), or, in the best case, they're just bad. So, why all the team must be punished because of them? I know, it's a recurrent subject, but what did you do to tackle this issue? Yeah, Ranked tokens, meaning that skilled players that have less free time will get less rewards than mindless drones farming arenas 24/7.

ELO is a rating system born for 1vs1 games, it doesn't fit SWTOR.
What about, after a loss, only who performed below losing team's average gets his rating reduced? I can't lose 14 points if, as a DPS player, I do more damage than my whole team combined. It's just not fair. Last week I lost 14 ELO despite doing about 5k dps, while arena's average was around 2600. I know, it's not about the raw numbers, but you have to trust me when I say that I was attacking the correct target and it wasn't some random damage just to boost numbers.

Finally, why arenas don't have an exhaustion zone as in 8v8 ones?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the rant.

Caeliuxrules
08.18.2017 , 12:02 PM | #2
I understand your frustration, trust me a lot of people feel your pain. For starters match making in solo is a joke, so that's for starters. Acid is border line retarded, 4s nobody likes it cause of lack of diversity and stacked classes. There is no gear check for ranked so basically a causal player can enter since expertise was taken away. There is win traders, hackers, and people who troll and throw matches daily.

Only ranked that was set up for real competition in this game was 8 man ranked where games we're won by a attrition, focus, great tanks, and a serious amount of good players understanding their role. That was ripped away and what we have now is regs and unbalanced ranked.
Former GM of We are KAPPA and FIGHT on The Harbinger
The Swiftsure>The Fatman>The PO5>The Bastion>The Harbinger
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

DavidAtkinson
08.18.2017 , 12:30 PM | #3
I started some threads about this problem myself and while I got some really helpful and helpful replies, I also got some discouraging ones.

A typical ranked jock, who is an avid defender of this current BS rating and matchmaking system will tell you that if you cannot climb the ranks, you absolutely suck and maybe need to delete game.

I had a similar thing happen to me last week when one day I gained 100 rating points in one night where I won like 20 matches and lost like 3 and the next day I lost almost 80 points. And the answer that I got from the ranked jock was that I suck.. and probably got carried the other day.

Anyway, I totally support your problem and believe me, many people have this problem.

However, the fact lower geared people are allowed in has given us MORE FREQUENT pops but on the other hand lots of 3 vs 4 matches happen because Jeff who has no clue and has 109k health won't last long enough to push one DCD' button on his keyboard.

I think Jeff is a necessary evil even because without Jeff queing, we would have LESS pops and personally wouldn't want to wait 35 mins for a damn pop to lose 15 points.

Sometimes even 248 geared people die in the same way like low geared ppl do because if you get globalled, it's a matter opf time before you are out.

The other thing I might agree with is your proposal about elo gain.

Maybe the guy who did 30k dps in rounds should lose 15 elo for the loss and you an me who performed A LOT better should lose 8 or 9 ? or even 5 ? I would love to see something like this. I think it's a good idea.

ALso, It should work the same way for wins. The elo gains should be merit based ! You were the top wolf in your team ? you get the most rating. Maybe it would encouarge people to try harder to boost their performance.

And the best part of it would be that if someone is getting carried, he wouldn't gain that +15 as the other because his performance as a carried player wouldn't be anything the other's.

The devs need to encourage people to que ranked. The community is small and this causes many problems with matchmaking.

Wimbleton
08.18.2017 , 01:55 PM | #4
I feel your pain. I played a bit at the start but I'm a min/maxer so I wanted to gear out a bit more. Did that, came back, full of hackers. So after a few games I went away again. Dabbled here and there but the people in the queue, as you stated, that shouldn't be there, ruined it again for me.

Just recently I saw a person spamming /2 healers queue up. I was queueing some regs and saw it, played a game, saw it some more, played another game and he was still asking. So I thought to myself, sure I'll queue so he can get some games.

Queued up.

There were two players from the same guild, (supposedly a decent pvp guild?) who were queue syncing trying to get on the same team, it put them on opposite teams.

Jokingly before the game started I mentioned for the one on my team to not throw the game. (to which he got red-coolaid triggered, btw)

He did.

As a sniper, he litterally stood up about 15 seconds into the fight and W-key walked across the fight, like through all the melee. He hasn't used PVP cleanse or any other defensives yet. He gets stunned, and doesnt bother to cleanse, has a second or two after the stun wears off to roll/evasive/entrench+crouch, something, anything, and just continues to walk, as if he was just holding W key. He gets stunned again and dies.

I'm a healer, I watch buffs for defensives so I know if I need to offensive cooldown for a stun (IE, they didnt DCD before the stun).

Two games of that.

I'm like /eyeroll because at this point I really dont GAF, I was just trying to get that other guy some games. But nah, fck that.

These punk kids have no integrity, no accountability, their parents are raising trash to later feed off society. I really think online PVP games draws to their deceitful nature. It's sad.

Not sure how to fix solo PVP but I think alot could be done to marginalize solo PVP and elevate team pvp. It's not hard to find 3 other people to play with.

Foambreaker
08.18.2017 , 02:02 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Wimbleton View Post
Not sure how to fix solo PVP but I think alot could be done to marginalize solo PVP and elevate team pvp. It's not hard to find 3 other people to play with...
There really is no fix because the basic premise is wrong: Keeping "score" when the other 3 people on your team are random is foolishness. No amount of skill can overcome bad queue luck.

Solo Ranked = Queue Luck Score

Nothing more.

Solution: Queue Group Ranked

helpmewin
08.18.2017 , 02:08 PM | #6
Yolo always was a lottery called "who will have dat bad guy now".
Referral link - get free 7 sub days and free transfer.
Competetive arenas video guide

Caeliuxrules
08.18.2017 , 02:51 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wimbleton View Post
I feel your pain. I played a bit at the start but I'm a min/maxer so I wanted to gear out a bit more. Did that, came back, full of hackers. So after a few games I went away again. Dabbled here and there but the people in the queue, as you stated, that shouldn't be there, ruined it again for me.

Just recently I saw a person spamming /2 healers queue up. I was queueing some regs and saw it, played a game, saw it some more, played another game and he was still asking. So I thought to myself, sure I'll queue so he can get some games.

Queued up.

There were two players from the <Sick Twisted Individuals> guild, (supposedly a decent pvp guild?) who were queue syncing trying to get on the same team. Well matchmaker 1, STI 0, because it put them on opposite teams.

Jokingly before the game started I mentioned for the one on my team to not throw the game. (to which he got red-coolaid triggered, btw)

He did.

As a sniper, he litterally stood up about 15 seconds into the fight and W-key walked across the fight, like through all the melee. He hasn't used PVP cleanse or any other defensives yet. He gets stunned, and doesnt bother to cleanse, has a second or two after the stun wears off to roll/evasive/entrench+crouch, something, anything, and just continues to walk, as if he was just holding W key. He gets stunned again and dies.

I'm a healer, I watch buffs for defensives so I know if I need to offensive cooldown for a stun (IE, they didnt DCD before the stun).

Two games of that.

I'm like /eyeroll because at this point I really dont GAF, I was just trying to get that other guy some games. But nah, fck that.

These punk kids have no integrity, no accountability, their parents are raising trash to later feed off society. I really think online PVP games draws to their deceitful nature. It's sad.

Not sure how to fix solo PVP but I think alot could be done to marginalize solo PVP and elevate team pvp. It's not hard to find 3 other people to play with.
Not trolling, great post and feel same.

Also, qsync is strong on harb, always was..
Former GM of We are KAPPA and FIGHT on The Harbinger
The Swiftsure>The Fatman>The PO5>The Bastion>The Harbinger
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

blunite
08.18.2017 , 03:45 PM | #8
Lots of good points. I got sick of ranked early on , checked one of my toons the other day that had 9 games and a 1300ish rating. So I did 1 match just to get my 10 games and my bronze rewards at the end of the season. I que up, and my team is filled with myself and others in the 1200 ish rating ( yes I checked afterwards), and we are up a team that consisted of players all around 2500-3000 rating. Yes some players are better than others I get it, but when you constantly go up a team that has much better players all the time, it gets discouraging when your probably know the outcome before the match starts. I just wish the team comps would be more balanced, not the best vs the worst.

olagatonjedi
08.18.2017 , 05:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
I started some threads about this problem myself and while I got some really helpful and helpful replies, I also got some discouraging ones.

A typical ranked jock, who is an avid defender of this current BS rating and matchmaking system will tell you that if you cannot climb the ranks, you absolutely suck and maybe need to delete game.

I had a similar thing happen to me last week when one day I gained 100 rating points in one night where I won like 20 matches and lost like 3 and the next day I lost almost 80 points. And the answer that I got from the ranked jock was that I suck.. and probably got carried the other day.

Anyway, I totally support your problem and believe me, many people have this problem.

However, the fact lower geared people are allowed in has given us MORE FREQUENT pops but on the other hand lots of 3 vs 4 matches happen because Jeff who has no clue and has 109k health won't last long enough to push one DCD' button on his keyboard.

I think Jeff is a necessary evil even because without Jeff queing, we would have LESS pops and personally wouldn't want to wait 35 mins for a damn pop to lose 15 points.

Sometimes even 248 geared people die in the same way like low geared ppl do because if you get globalled, it's a matter opf time before you are out.

The other thing I might agree with is your proposal about elo gain.

Maybe the guy who did 30k dps in rounds should lose 15 elo for the loss and you an me who performed A LOT better should lose 8 or 9 ? or even 5 ? I would love to see something like this. I think it's a good idea.

ALso, It should work the same way for wins. The elo gains should be merit based ! You were the top wolf in your team ? you get the most rating. Maybe it would encouarge people to try harder to boost their performance.

And the best part of it would be that if someone is getting carried, he wouldn't gain that +15 as the other because his performance as a carried player wouldn't be anything the other's.

The devs need to encourage people to que ranked. The community is small and this causes many problems with matchmaking.
If they start rewarding based off performance, the team aspect will suffer because people will go for personal productivity at the expense of helping a teammate. If a teammate needs a heal, and i have the option of healing them or dpsing instead, according to a productivity system, im gonna dps and let my teammate die so they cant dps and do better than me. This may not be the intended result of your elo scoring, but people tend to adapt to the method that benefits them more. And you know that top performer is gonna come with the $hitt3r comments afterwards because that system encourages it even more than our current system.

On a side note regarding the "broken" elo system of pitting high elo ratings vs lower elo ratings - all the talk is very contradictory. On one hand people claim hgih rating players queue sync and hack, etc., but then claim its not fair they are going against better players because of their elo ratings. Very inconsistent argument.

AlCorazon
08.18.2017 , 06:24 PM | #10
I agree...
Plus the matchmaking...
I was on the winning side today, we imps had 2 mercs (arsenal) and 2 snipers (1 engi, 1 mm)
Opposing team of reps had 2 sents, and 2 shadows, skilled, because we gained +14 or smth when we won.
I can't say they were bad, but this was a damn slaughter, they stood no chance whatsoever, I had to do a 1 v 1 with a shadow, and I laughed my *** of while he was trying to do any damage to me, i imagin it felt like **** on his side.

On days, I have dudes getting globalled every game and still queuing, and I loose a ******** of rating because of it, so yeah....i think I might be leaving soon too.
My referral link! http://www.swtor.com/r/gBW7FL