Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

bolster for fresh level 70s (or returning players)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
bolster for fresh level 70s (or returning players)

TrixxieTriss
02.17.2019 , 12:26 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DNGDangerous View Post
I suggest trying to get the free 252 weapon from ossus since it’s actually really easy. Should take about 2 hours or less. Basically, after completing the Jedi under Siege story (45 minutes or less), complete your first set of dailies and the weekly (non-heroic) and also complete the world boss weekly while your there. You get a free 252 weapon (or offhand) and a random 252 from a ossus box, and 1-2 masterwork crystals.

(3 of the dailies don’t even require fighting any mobs). I basically do my 10 dailies while I am queuing for war zones. And join the world boss groups as they spam in genera chat.

Trust me, getting the free weapon is easy, after that, you can quit the grind since the weapon freebie isn’t repeatable.
Done that on 3 Alts over Xmas period and didn’t get “free 252” weapons due to bugs.
All we (my wife & I) got was the random 252 item.
After that experience I decided I wasn’t going to bother with this grind and I nearly unsubbed. It took me 2 weeks to log back in and I’ve played about 75% less since then.

DNGDangerous
02.17.2019 , 01:45 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Done that on 3 Alts over Xmas period and didn’t get “free 252” weapons due to bugs.
All we (my wife & I) got was the random 252 item.
After that experience I decided I wasn’t going to bother with this grind and I nearly unsubbed. It took me 2 weeks to log back in and I’ve played about 75% less since then.
Wow! I won’t lie... if that happened to me, I would have raged pretty hard! I hate when bugs rob me of rewards, especially when the reward is strong and non-repeatable!

Because of my personality, I seriously get super frustrated in those instances. And while it might be a minor offense to most people; but for me- I get so agitated that I have seriously quit games in the past due to similar instances.

It’s good to see that you were at least able to stay in the game. I probably would have rage quit.

Bilch
02.17.2019 , 08:24 AM | #23
Ok after a little bit of testing i found out that Bolster is pretty much useless

What i didnt knew before is that the weapons arent in the bolster (but is responsible for most of the dmg) (which explains why a lot of ppl do kinda ****** dps)
Luckily the 252 weapon is easy to get but without the weapon i wouldnt bother going in pvp, but judging from the dps of a lot of people it seems a lot still dont have a 252 weapon.

But what suprised me that the old level 65 (210) mods are pretty decent in the Bolster and often better then higher gear (with exception of 230) but overall the Bolster is too weak. 252 gear gives a rly big stat boost and i guess that a full 252/258 char has a significant advantage.

At the Moment the dmg drop is very noticeable. I played yesterday my fresh lvl 70 jugger with 252 weapon and 210 gear (and one game with a few 230 pieces) and i do around 3,5-3,8k dps (which was top of the scoreboard but still very ****** dps). In a compareable Situation in Mid PvP i would have done easeally 5k+ dps. But the positive Site is since everybody does ****** dps i dont die

I think since I kinda undestand the garing 70 pvp isnt as bad as before but still way too slow

Lundorff
02.17.2019 , 02:13 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Bilch View Post
Luckily the 252 weapon is easy to get but without the weapon i wouldnt bother going in pvp, but judging from the dps of a lot of people it seems a lot still dont have a 252 weapon.
This still requires an Ops group from what I gather. Not exactly easy in my book - actually kinda a pain.

I think since I kinda undestand the garing 70 pvp isnt as bad as before but still way too slow
Gearing for PvP has never in the history of this game been so horrible. As intended I will let my subscription run out, and only return when/if status quo has changed.

Banderal
02.17.2019 , 03:53 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
This still requires an Ops group from what I gather. Not exactly easy in my book - actually kinda a pain.
Yep, at least from what I can see. I was going to give this a go on a low-geared sin I have. It's the only toon where I bothered to run through the Ossus story. I managed to force myself through the "do 10 dailies" weekly mission, which grants your choice of one of three random boxes. That one is NOT the guaranteed main hand. The best you can pick is a box that might have a main hand, off hand, ear piece, or... er, some fourth thing I forget. I got the ear of course, because "random is exciting" BS.

The quest that actually grants you the specific main hand (dps or tank, your choice), for the imp side, is "Flesh and Steel", which is killing two world bosses...

http://dulfy.net/2018/12/12/swtor-os.../#World_Bosses

I didn't realize this at the time. So I got to watch people desperately trying to fill up their roster for "killing WB, need 2 more heals" or whatever, for the two hours I was doing dailies - not realize that THAT was the thing I actually wanted. My fault for not paying attention to the quests...

Although, I also feel I should mention that the actual quest board where I got that "Flesh and Steel" quest doesn't actually show up as such on any map, or even show as a clickable thing when I was right next to it and hovering the mouse over it. It's at the main imp base (strike base xr-484). It did show up as a clickable at first, and that's where I got the daily and weekly to "do 5 dailies" and "do 10 dailies". But after that it did not light up when hovered over with the mouse. The quest triangle no longer showed up on my map or mini map. I only bothered trying to click on it again because Dulfy's guide said that was the place to get all this huge list of quests from.

All in all though, not a real favorable experience.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Banderal
02.17.2019 , 03:59 PM | #26
Does anyone know, btw, of bioware provided evidence for whether the main/off hand lack of bolster is on purpose or a bug?

TrixxieTriss
02.17.2019 , 05:03 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Does anyone know, btw, of bioware provided evidence for whether the main/off hand lack of bolster is on purpose or a bug?
It’s always been like that since 5.0. That’s why everyone would gear up main hand to 248 as fast as possible with UCs

Banderal
02.17.2019 , 05:38 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
It’s always been like that since 5.0. That’s why everyone would gear up main hand to 248 as fast as possible with UCs
Hmm, I suppose that makes it either on purpose, or a bug they are never going to fix - no matter what might have been said or not said by BW. I didn't realize that had been the case even back for CXP gearing. It was probably stated somewhere really obvious, but my clueless self just missed it.

IMO, then, that kinda defeats the whole purpose of bolster, which is to make people competitive even against fully geared folks. By my measure, if I did it right, "bolster" alone leaves me over 10% (nearly 15% for the upper range) lower in DPS than an someone with 252 (not to mention 258). That seems like way too much. I'm kinda understanding more why some people just gave the big middle finger to the game and stopped (I'm looking at you Lhance! ).

As far as the "just do the easy 2 hours of PvE to get the 252 pieces you need" - imagine if that were the other way around. If, to be effective in basic PvE "teams" you HAD to do 2 hours of PvP first to get gear. There's just no way there would not be calls for blood from a whole lot of PvE-only people. Rightly so, IMO.

If there is one gear set for everyone, then I should be able to get it no matter which mode I play. Period. And I can't. I cannot get any new gear via PvP only, because I can't get the PvE reputation required to purchase it, even if I have enough UC's from my PvP matches.

Bilch
02.17.2019 , 05:42 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
What do you mean by that? You just ahve to join a group, close the eyes for the fight to avoid eye cancer while the ****** engine cant handle all the effects and youre good to go

Dont get me wrong i would prefer gearing through pvp but knowing how grindy that was sometimes ill take a fast way to easy effective gear all the time

Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
As far as the "just do the easy 2 hours of PvE to get the 252 pieces you need" - imagine if that were the other way around.
Is that even 2hours? i didnt watch the clock when i did it with my fresh jugger but im pretty sure i didnt even need 1 hour for Story and killing 2 WB (to be fair i went right from the story to the wb if you ahve to wait it might take longer)

Banderal
02.17.2019 , 05:55 PM | #30
What do you mean by that? You just ahve to join a group, close the eyes for the fight to avoid eye cancer while the ****** engine cant handle all the effects and youre good to go
Wait, there was some guy on Ossus gen chat today asking how to turn off all the effects so that they could see what the heck they needed to do for tanking or something... was that you!?

Is that even 2hours? i didnt watch the clock when i did it with my fresh jugger but im pretty sure i didnt even need 1 hour for Story and killing 2 WB (to be fair i went right from the story to the wb if you ahve to wait it might take longer)
Yeah, I can only go by my own experience. I don't do any group PvE, so really had no idea where to start. For someone who has a clue I suspect it would be quicker and easier. But I know that I fiddled around on that planet for at least two hours, trying to "do the right thing" to get the 252 pieces I need to appease the bolster monster... and failed.

I also saw someone, for at least a half hour that I noticed, trying to get a "group for world boss" together. They seemed mostly stuck on getting healers.

And, as a 230 geared player, I'm not even sure if I'm ready for a world boss fight. I tried it solo once, before I realized what I was fighting (see how clueless a PvE'r I am ), and then logged out. That led to, when I logged back in later I happened to zone in RIGHT when a group was starting their fight against the robot-tank-thing. I tried for a quick invite and didn't get one (they were probably full I guess) - but I was checking out gear levels, and they were all 240s and 250s already.