Ideas for 6.0 abilities

Hoppinswtor

So I had about an hour to kill today and decided to waste it on a design exercise for this silly game.

I have a feeling that in 6.0 each spec will get a new ability at level 72 and a new passive at 74. I approached this with the idea of rewarding good use of Supercharge. As it stands, Supercharge provides a fairly decent dps/hps gain for each spec, but it's not absolutely essential (you can clear all nim content without binding supercharge, at least as a DPS, but that's partially because we're all overgeared). I wanted to make this unique mechanic a little bit more rewarding in ways that are relevant to each spec.

Anyway, here's what I'd do for Merc:

INNOVATIVE ORDINANCE

Level 72 Ability: Radiation Bomb (replaces Fusion Missile)

Activation: Instant (vs. 1.5s cast for Fusion Missile)

Cooldown: same as Fusion Missile

Heat: 15 (due to passives)

Original Fusion Missile:

3.1k kinetic damage upfront, 3.6k elemental damage over 6 seconds. Spreads dots.

New Radiation Bomb:

1.7k elemental damage upfront, 5.7k elemental damage over 9 seconds (initial hit + 8 dot ticks). Still spreads dots.

Rationale: IO is a dot spec, and right now Fusion Missile is hardly a dps gain over power shot in the sub-30 range. Radley recently discovered that Fusion Missile can be a very small dps gain over power shot under specific circumstances, so why not reward this train of thought even further? IO is intended to be a demanding spec and this will entice people to weave a new ability into their single-target rotation.

This turns fusion missile into something closer to what it used to be: an AoE Crushing Darkness with obvious viability as a single-target filler. It also beco0mes an instant ability, allowing for greater mobility. When you factor in IO's elemental debuff (and changing the initial hit from kinetic to elemental) it will deal about 800 more total damage than the old fusion missile; this will make it a certain single-target DPS gain over Power Shot when used during Supercharge Gas or when the target is in execute range.

Level 74 Passive: Fallout

When Supercharge Gas is active, Radiation Bomb's damage over time effect has a 25% chance to tick twice. This ability can only occur once per second. Additionally, when Radiation Bomb is used during Supercharge Gas, you gain one stack of Supercharge.

ARSENAL

Level 72 Ability: Missile Volley (replaces Missile Blast)

Activation: Instant

Cooldown: none

Heat: 20

Original Missile Blast: 7k damage to primary target + 3k splash damage to standard and weak enemies. Standard and weak enemies are knocked down.

New Missile Volley: Launch two missiles, each doing 3.7k damage to primary target + 1.6k splash damage to up to 8 enemies within 5 meters, regardless of their type. Standard and weak enemies are knocked down.

This new Missile Blast fixes the AoE component that is missing in PvP, while also providing a slight single-target DPS gain when used with the level 74 passive. It also adds another ability and proc to the main Arsenal rotation, thus adding a bit of depth to the spec. And you get to fire two missiles again - just like old times. Who doesn't like firing two missiles in one GCD?

Level 74 Passive: Supercharge Volley

Activating Supercharge Gas or 5 stacks of Tracer Lock grants Supercharge Volley, which reduces the heat cost of your next Missile Volley by 8, increases its damage by 10%, and builds one stack of Supercharge. Lasts 8 seconds.

This passive basically complements the new ability. I also figured it's a good idea to provide an additional perk to consuming five stacks of Tracer Lock; as it stands, I usually pop my rail shot at 4 stacks unless I'm casting a ton of tracers while Rail Shot is on cooldown. This at least gives us a little bit more of an opportunity cost to play around with. You could pop a proc'd missile volley with supercharge, followed by a 5-stack rail shot, and then another proc'd missile volley; this would be fairly decent filler damage over 3 seconds and it would generate only 29 heat. I didn't want to make Missile Volley TOO damaging because Arsenal's heat management will be a little bit easier thanks to this new proc. And ultimately this would add some nice flavor to Arsenal's filler routine: tracers and rapid shots get kinda old after a while.

BODYGUARD

Level 72 Ability: Kolto Hypo (replaces Kolto Shot)

Heat: none

Original Kolto Shot: heals a friendly target for 2.5k and builds a stack of Supercharge.

New Kolto Hypo: heals a friendly target for 2.5k and one random friendly target nearby for 1k. Builds a stack of Supercharge. Targets affected by Kolto Hypo receive an Immunized buff, reducing all Damage Over Time effects by 5 percent for 45 seconds.

This will add a small AoE component to the spec's filler without making it gamebreaking. It also applies a small buff to players, which helps punch up Bodyguard's utility in PvP.

Level 74 Passive: Hypo Shell

Supercharge Gas grants a stack of Hypo Shell, causing your next Kolto Hypo to deploy a Kolto Shell on the target. This effect can only occur once every 30 seconds.

Thanks to Blue/Dot for helping me come up with that last passive. The spec needs a bit of a boost and I think this is a logical solution.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

Ok, hold my beer. Here's how you can actually have a chance at BW putting your abilities in:

INNOVATIVE ORDINANCE

Level 72 Ability: Giradda's Radiation Bomb (replaces Fusion Missile)

Cooldown: same as Fusion Missile (Can be lowered once a day with purchase from Cartel Market)

Original Fusion Missile:

3.1k kinetic damage upfront, 3.6k elemental damage over 6 seconds. Spreads dots.

New Radiation Bomb:

1.7k elemental damage upfront, 5.7k elemental damage over 9 seconds (initial hit + 8 dot ticks). Still spreads dots. 30% chance of sending enemy players into cartel market jail for 30 seconds (players can use cartel coins to leave cartel market jail sooner).

When Supercharge Gas is active, Radiation Bomb's damage over time effect has a 25% chance to tick twice. This ability can only occur once per second. Additionally, when Radiation Bomb is used during Supercharge Gas, you gain one stack of Supercharge

Real Level 74 Passive: Chaching

Whenever you press any button, there is a 20% chance the cartel market will appear on player's screen and a random item will already be selected and in player's cart. Player may lower chance with purchase from cartel market.

ARSENAL

Level 72 Ability: Pricey Missile Volley (replaces Missile Blast)

Original Missile Blast: 7k damage to primary target + 3k splash damage to standard and weak enemies. Standard and weak enemies are knocked down.

New Missile Volley: Launch two missiles, each doing 3.7k damage to primary target + 1.6k splash damage to up to 8 enemies within 5 meters, regardless of their type. Standard and weak enemies are knocked down. (Players hit by attack have a 20% chance of being inflicted with the "snookered" debuff. Snookered players will have a random key on their keyboard fail to register for X minutes. A snookered player may reactivate one key with an item purchased from the cartel market).

Activating Supercharge Gas or 5 stacks of Tracer Lock or paying 10 cartel coins grants Supercharge Volley, which reduces the heat cost of your next Missile Volley by 8, increases its damage by 10%, and builds one stack of Supercharge. Lasts 8 seconds.

BODYGUARD

Level 72 Ability: Kolto ASMR (replaces Kolto Shot)

Original Kolto Shot: heals a friendly target for 2.5k and builds a stack of Supercharge.

New Kolto Hypo: heals a friendly target for 2.5k and one random friendly target nearby for 1k. Builds a stack of Supercharge. Targets affected by Kolto Hypo receive an Immunized buff, reducing all Damage Over Time effects by 5 percent for 45 seconds.

New Kolto ASMR: heals a friendly target for 2.5k and builds a stack of Supercharge. Additionally, plays sweet and inspirational ASMR sounds in the healed player's speakers. Sounds include "go to the cartel market", "the cartel market loves you" and "smoke" (sponsored by Marlboro lite).

Supercharge Gas grants a stack of Hypo Shell, causing your next Kolto ASMR to open the cartel market on the target. This effect can only occur once every 1 seconds, can be raised with purchase from cartel market.

There we go, now it has a chance of BW actually looking at it.

that put a smile on my face

edit: I've actually thought about how they can tie all this kinda crap into the lore

SWTOR PATCH 6.0:

RISE OF GIRADDA

The Hutts are taking over and imposing harsh taxes on the Republic and the Empire! Will you be able to help your faction keep the greedy Hutts at bay so you can get back to the business at hand? Indulge yourself in this awesome prelude to the the final chapter, 7.0, which will begin (read: be developed by Bioware) once the "Hutts" (read: Bioware) receive(s) enough money to feel compelled to stop their silliness! Think of it as a galactic Kickstarter....

1. All companions have to feed their families, so they have become mercenaries: they have to be paid with credits every week, just like normal people.

2. Credits can now be bought on the cartel market.

3. All costs are increased tenfold.

4. Gearing a toon in 6.0 will cost about 300 million credits.

5. All subscribers gain a new passive called "Hutt Tax", in which subscribers do not gain the perks of subscribers unless they pay cartel coins daily.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So I had about an hour to kill today and decided to waste it on a design exercise for this silly game.

I have a feeling that in 6.0 each spec will get a new ability at level 72 and a new passive at 74. I approached this with the idea of rewarding good use of Supercharge. As it stands, Supercharge provides a fairly decent dps/hps gain for each spec, but it's not absolutely essential (you can clear all nim content without binding supercharge, at least as a DPS, but that's partially because we're all overgeared). I wanted to make this unique mechanic a little bit more rewarding in ways that are relevant to each spec.

Anyway, here's what I'd do for Merc:

INNOVATIVE ORDINANCE

Level 72 Ability: Radiation Bomb (replaces Fusion Missile)

Cooldown: same as Fusion Missile

Original Fusion Missile:

New Radiation Bomb:

1.7k elemental damage upfront, 5.7k elemental damage over 9 seconds (initial hit + 8 dot ticks). Still spreads dots.

Rationale: IO is a dot spec, and right now Fusion Missile is hardly a dps gain over power shot in the sub-30 range. Radley recently discovered that Fusion Missile can be a very small dps gain over power shot under specific circumstances, so why not reward this train of thought even further? IO is intended to be a demanding spec and this will entice people to weave a new ability into their single-target rotation.

This turns fusion missile into something closer to what it used to be: an AoE Crushing Darkness with obvious viability as a single-target filler. It also beco0mes an instant ability, allowing for greater mobility. When you factor in IO's elemental debuff (and changing the initial hit from kinetic to elemental) it will deal about 800 more total damage than the old fusion missile; this will make it a certain single-target DPS gain over Power Shot when used during Supercharge Gas or when the target is in execute range.

When Supercharge Gas is active, Radiation Bomb's damage over time effect has a 25% chance to tick twice. This ability can only occur once per second. Additionally, when Radiation Bomb is used during Supercharge Gas, you gain one stack of Supercharge.

ARSENAL

Level 72 Ability: Missile Volley (replaces Missile Blast)

New Missile Volley: Launch two missiles, each doing 3.7k damage to primary target + 1.6k splash damage to up to 8 enemies within 5 meters, regardless of their type. Standard and weak enemies are knocked down.

This new Missile Blast fixes the AoE component that is missing in PvP, while also providing a slight single-target DPS gain when used with the level 74 passive. It also adds another ability and proc to the main Arsenal rotation, thus adding a bit of depth to the spec. And you get to fire two missiles again - just like old times. Who doesn't like firing two missiles in one GCD?

Activating Supercharge Gas or 5 stacks of Tracer Lock grants Supercharge Volley, which reduces the heat cost of your next Missile Volley by 8, increases its damage by 10%, and builds one stack of Supercharge. Lasts 8 seconds.

This passive basically complements the new ability. I also figured it's a good idea to provide an additional perk to consuming five stacks of Tracer Lock; as it stands, I usually pop my rail shot at 4 stacks unless I'm casting a ton of tracers while Rail Shot is on cooldown. This at least gives us a little bit more of an opportunity cost to play around with. You could pop a proc'd missile volley with supercharge, followed by a 5-stack rail shot, and then another proc'd missile volley; this would be fairly decent filler damage over 3 seconds and it would generate only 29 heat. I didn't want to make Missile Volley TOO damaging because Arsenal's heat management will be a little bit easier thanks to this new proc. And ultimately this would add some nice flavor to Arsenal's filler routine: tracers and rapid shots get kinda old after a while.

BODYGUARD

Level 72 Ability: Kolto Hypo (replaces Kolto Shot)

This will add a small AoE component to the spec's filler without making it gamebreaking. It also applies a small buff to players, which helps punch up Bodyguard's utility in PvP.

Supercharge Gas grants a stack of Hypo Shell, causing your next Kolto Hypo to deploy a Kolto Shell on the target. This effect can only occur once every 30 seconds.

Thanks to Blue/Dot for helping me come up with that last passive. The spec needs a bit of a boost and I think this is a logical solution.

Honestly Fusion Missile is fine as is. There is no animation clipping issues with that ability and the damage it does is meh but its more used for spreading dots anyways. Completely situational usage imo.

Now if we're talking about legitimate good ideas for changes, especially for a spec I play and main. Innovative Ordnance need a better animation than Mag Shot. We need a Super Heated Rail Shot back or perhaps a Super Heated Rail Bolt.

The thought of a new Fusion Missile is cool in theory but, right now it is not what that spec needs.

Also feel free to support my cause: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=954249

Maybe also get rid of the utility that allows kolto overload to heal up to 60% percent and maybe responsive safeguards as well, dueling a merc is painful with them.

Get rid of Reflect? That's funny. Not sure if you're aware of not but, incase you're still wondering how to play around Merc DCDs in a duel, here's how:

1. With Reflect, stun them or aoe. If you're a stealth class, just disappear for a few seconds if you're able. Wait it out and resume dps.

2. Energy Shield + Trauma Regulators, So long as the number of stacks you give is 5 or less the amount of healing received is really not as much as you think it is. The same rules apply for Energy Shield as with Reflect. Stun or aoe as only direct damage gives trauma stacks. Or if you're a stealth, disappear and wait it out.

3 Not sure how much more of a nerf you need to feel comfortable about Kolto Surge. The original Kolto Overload capped out at 35% healing and it's at 60% now. If they nerf it again it kinda negates the point of the utility. Kolto Surge was already nerfed 10% and the heals slightly lowered. The is the only dcd that can't really be played around so it's the only 2nd wind a merc really has, if you apply the tactics from points 1 & 2 you really shouldn't have much trouble dueling a merc.

Unless you're facing one of the top merc players on the server this strat works well. You also have to consider that some players are players of all classes and specs and have some idea or know when to use their dcds against other classes and specs. So requesting a nerf just b/c someone really good with their class and good with their dcd usage is stupid.

Idk what server you're on or which class you main but, if you're on Star Forge and want some practice dueling a merc I can duel with you. (IO Merc is my main btw) I love dueling so I could give you some practice.

Edited by MercenaryPlayer

• 1 month later...

Well don't remove any more abilities from my vanguard or commando. Unless its that cheat shield. I would like to see blitz returned, stock strike, and I like my plasma/fire grenade. Leave it alone. You kids always looking to wreck what was.

Before someone gets the bright idea, leave my explosive round, and mortar volley alone. I miss charged bolts. So much ruined because people want generic ranged dps.

Get rid of Reflect? That's funny. Not sure if you're aware of not but, incase you're still wondering how to play around Merc DCDs in a duel, here's how:

1. With Reflect, stun them or aoe. If you're a stealth class, just disappear for a few seconds if you're able. Wait it out and resume dps.

2. Energy Shield + Trauma Regulators, So long as the number of stacks you give is 5 or less the amount of healing received is really not as much as you think it is. The same rules apply for Energy Shield as with Reflect. Stun or aoe as only direct damage gives trauma stacks. Or if you're a stealth, disappear and wait it out.

3 Not sure how much more of a nerf you need to feel comfortable about Kolto Surge. The original Kolto Overload capped out at 35% healing and it's at 60% now. If they nerf it again it kinda negates the point of the utility. Kolto Surge was already nerfed 10% and the heals slightly lowered. The is the only dcd that can't really be played around so it's the only 2nd wind a merc really has, if you apply the tactics from points 1 & 2 you really shouldn't have much trouble dueling a merc.

Unless you're facing one of the top merc players on the server this strat works well. You also have to consider that some players are players of all classes and specs and have some idea or know when to use their dcds against other classes and specs. So requesting a nerf just b/c someone really good with their class and good with their dcd usage is stupid.

Idk what server you're on or which class you main but, if you're on Star Forge and want some practice dueling a merc I can duel with you. (IO Merc is my main btw) I love dueling so I could give you some practice.

This is all nice and all but you are missing one thing: there are no duels in ranked pvp or regs. Sure, you can play around merc's DCDs in a duel. A recent dueling tournament was won by a sorc with only one merc in top4, I agree that if you are good you can deal with a merc.

In a group fight though, unless your whole team or most of the team is in voice comms, there is no way you can perfectly play around merc's DCDs. Someone will hit into reflect. Reflect isn't even that big of a problem by itself - it's how many things alltogether merc has. You can fully focus a merc and even if he is bad it will take over half a minute to just blow through his DCDs (yes, even when you play around them). The only class who can do similar things right now is operative and sorcerer. BUT. Operative loses most of his damage when he rolls around, heals and vanishes. Sorc will be far away after phase walk, not doing anything while in barrier and so on.

Merc can still DPS WHILE having all of those DCDs up. It is not ok. And don't get me started on Electro net: a skill that isn't a stun but requires a breaker even more so than a stun? Perfectly fine, right?

The point of all of this rambling is: mercs have way too many things they can do. Want to keep all of their defenses? Sure but at least limit their defense the same way as other similar classes - do not let them DPS while defensives work themselves. It is not ok to press a few buttons and not die for such a long time while still doing your full rotation.

Edited by Equeliber

This is all nice and all but you are missing one thing: there are no duels in ranked pvp or regs. Sure, you can play around merc's DCDs in a duel. A recent dueling tournament was won by a sorc with only one merc in top4, I agree that if you are good you can deal with a merc.

In a group fight though, unless your whole team or most of the team is in voice comms, there is no way you can perfectly play around merc's DCDs. Someone will hit into reflect. Reflect isn't even that big of a problem by itself - it's how many things alltogether merc has. You can fully focus a merc and even if he is bad it will take over half a minute to just blow through his DCDs (yes, even when you play around them). The only class who can do similar things right now is operative and sorcerer. BUT. Operative loses most of his damage when he rolls around, heals and vanishes. Sorc will be far away after phase walk, not doing anything while in barrier and so on.

Merc can still DPS WHILE having all of those DCDs up. It is not ok. And don't get me started on Electro net: a skill that isn't a stun but requires a breaker even more so than a stun? Perfectly fine, right?

The point of all of this rambling is: mercs have way too many things they can do. Want to keep all of their defenses? Sure but at least limit their defense the same way as other similar classes - do not let them DPS while defensives work themselves. It is not ok to press a few buttons and not die for such a long time while still doing your full rotation.

Ever tried changing targets when they use cooldowns? Not being rude or anything but... ...have you ever tried that?

Yeah cooldowns are annoying we get it. But the problem is not Merc/Mando dcds. It's the difference of value dcds between you and them... ...most likely

If you force their cooldowns out, that should considered a victory for you. Suffice to say. That's just the way you have to value them. Becuase they're expressing in one way or another "Im dead if I don't use this."

That's why most pvp is usually objective based, and not lazily designed around DUHH KILLING IS THE OBJECTIVE!

Electro net? Well, I knew the devs are a bit on the silly side when they decided to introduce a new mechanic exclusively for one class. not much anybody can do about that :)

It blows my mind to this day that no other class has received a mainstay hinder mechanic, but that's the way it goes when the majority of the studio representatives openly disclose they love mercenary class. XD

Edited by Bonzenaattori

Ever tried changing targets when they use cooldowns?

Well, that's the problem. Literally all other classes are stuck with limited capabilities when they force you to change the target to someone else.

Example: Sorc's barrier. Will you change targets? Yes. Will sorc keep killing you? No.

Another example: Stealth out (sin, op and even mara). It's a hard reset with a full heal. But the player will be somewhere in the corner of the map not doing anything.

Every other DCD can be just blown through. You won't switch target if Mara pops Cloak of Pain or sniper pops his shield. Every class has at least some kind of DCD, you just deal with it. Jugg's Enraged Defense is probably the closest to current merc's DCDs. If you can, you should kite the jugg around and stop hitting him until stacks go out. But vs a jugg it is easy to do so. Why? Just because he is melee, it's so much easier to keep him away from you. Merc will just keep shooting...

You are pulling the "LOL just don't hit them" card but we have talked about this many times already. And it is not OK.

Edited by Equeliber

i have a better idea...nuke this garbage class into space.

friggin' tired being netted constantly, make it like the grenades or bloodthirst by having a debuff...oh and this class clearly needs more DCD's.

Edited by meddani

i have a better idea...nuke this garbage class into space.

friggin' tired being netted constantly, make it like the grenades or bloodthirst by having a debuff...oh and this class clearly needs more DCD's.

I'd settle for Hinder respecting resolve. IOW, if you're white-barred you can still use phase walk, roll, combat stealth, etc...