Walker segments

-Hubris-

During the KOTET and KOTFE, bioware introduced new game mechanics where you board a walker, and sow mayhem upon your enemies. At least that was their initial intent for sure, the result is quite opposite.

I honestly can't imagine anyone play testing this and approving it. It is beyond tedious, and simply boring.

Movement is janky, and combat is slow and awful. Long global cooldowns, and underwhelming skills.

It is far more efficient for my character to go on foot. It left me on verge of abandoning the entire campaign because of it after the first time it was introduced to me. Now i am on Iokath, and guess what, another walker segment.

I can't say I especially enjoyed the walker parts, but I didn't hate them either. I liked doing something a bit different occasionally. Which is why I also liked things like getting Datacrons and HK-51.

I haven't done any walker stuff since 6.0 though, so I can't comment about whether or not it's buggy now.

I can't say I especially enjoyed the walker parts, but I didn't hate them either. I liked doing something a bit different occasionally. Which is why I also liked things like getting Datacrons and HK-51.

I haven't done any walker stuff since 6.0 though, so I can't comment about whether or not it's buggy now.

It's not really a question of bugs, per se, it's just that all walkers and turrets are now very difficult to use because they have very low HP and the enemies do too much damage in proportion to that very low HP. For instance, during the Dantooine pirate event, the pub-side turret daily was well-nigh impossible to complete. And that was made all the more aggravating by the fact that its imp-side counterpart, the mouse droid mission, was a breeze...

...once you figured out the way around the 3rd water barrier.

And yes, this problem was made slightly less by a recent patch, but only very slightly.

Edited by ElZaguero
correct grammar error

During the KOTET and KOTFE, bioware introduced new game mechanics where you board a walker, and sow mayhem upon your enemies. At least that was their initial intent for sure, the result is quite opposite.

I honestly can't imagine anyone play testing this and approving it. It is beyond tedious, and simply boring.

Movement is janky, and combat is slow and awful. Long global cooldowns, and underwhelming skills.

It is far more efficient for my character to go on foot. It left me on verge of abandoning the entire campaign because of it after the first time it was introduced to me. Now i am on Iokath, and guess what, another walker segment.

I did KotFE once, same with Iokath - and those vehicle missions were a large reason why, as instead of being a fun diversion from standard combat, they felt more tedious and joyless than fighting through a dozen hallways filled with generic skytrooper trash.

I did somewhat enjoy one of the missions - somewhere in the KotFE chapters where you play as the giant droid gone mad or something, it at least felt closer to what I believe was the original intent of these missions - to be the overpowered mechanical enemy raining death and destruction on your enemies.

Edited by DawnAskham

If they put an NPC at the beginning of every walker section to pilot the walker for you I'd be the first person to make a 'Thank you for XXX' thread.

Walker sections are simply the worst.

Thats the sad part. They could have been really fun. I just don't understand the long global cooldowns and generally low damage, except for stomp. Also, during one of the missions, if i were being hit by another walker enemy, it will trigger another global CD on my skills. I am not entirely sure if that was a bug or not, as i don't recall it happening during the later chapters.

I played through KOTET twice.. once with an Imp and once with a Pub. I'll never play through it again b/c of the stupid walkers; I can't stand them.

I agree with what others say that it's nice to have content that mixes things up, but leave them as side missions that can be skipped rather than the core story we have to play (Iokath and Dantooine turrets for example). I spend all this time building my character, learning rotations, setting my keybinds just right only to have some sort of GSF side game thrown right in the middle of my play (at least they kept that independent from the story itself).

I don't mind it so much when it's a non-combat mechanic thrown into the story e.g. Vaylin's party or the droid in the Agent story. I just hate when I have to fight from some tin can and my story can't progress until I do (unless I skip and accept default choices).

Between the walkers and the forced companions (after we spend so much time building our companions up) I can understand why so many people have a critical negative opinion of KOTFE/ET. Sure, some people like this stuff and I'm not knocking that. My argument is that it shouldn't be required to get through the story, not that it doesn't belong in the game at all.

Edited by red_onion

I wasn't a huge fan of walker segments either, though I never hated them. Any negative disposition on my end would be due to the fact that they were a little glitchy and laggy. Also, I think it would have been cooler to use the force to send walkers flying rather than piloting one myself, especially as a Consular who is supposed to be the master of wind and rock.

That being said, I seem to favor them now more than ever because today was my first leg day in a long while; I could certainly use a walker right now. I lifted enough rocks for today.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

• 7 months later...

The colored part is actually very true. I was once helping a mate to get the MM chapter cheevos, and because there is only one walker, I naturally went by foot. I killed mobs faster and with less frustration with my mando than he did with the walker. This happened before 6.0, so I don't know how it is now.

I don't know why it takes so long for Bioware to fix this very often mentioned problem. Solution is simple and can be done overnight, with a bit of testing taking slighly more time... Just fix the damn numbers. Make walkers more resistant or deal more damage (or actually increase both values).

World of Warcraft since Cataclysm has introduced similar quests in many places and these are quite popular and fun, because rather than killing XYZ boars or doing other tedious tasks, you're killing enemies by the dozens while controlling King Kong-like gorilla or other monstrosity. It could work the same for SWTOR if walkers really felt like increase in character's firepower, but that's not the case...

This happened before 6.0, so I don't know how it is now.

It's the same in 6.0. TBF those were the only moments I've died more than once and had to redo the whole segment again. I don't remember now the name of the planet, but there was one particular mission where I really felt like I'm a sitting duck and much easier to kill than on foot.

Edited by Omernon