to heal or not to heal..

Akrys

If I wanted to play a maths game I'd just fiddle with my calculator.

Commando healing will be great in the hands of a great player. Sage healing will be poor in the hands of a poor player.

Play a class, not a spreadsheet.

Do you think the healing commando will equal that of the other classes?

Heal only other Troopers! Issues resolved.

You need to use your cells in order to be an effective healer. The nice thing about a trooper healer is they have some really nice defensive skills as well as a few offensive skills to take out some of the aggro you will generate.

Although not as powerful as some other healers.. they are rock steady and easily managable. imho

Seer looks like more impressive healer in pvp than combat medic. He can manage with burst. Green beam is not enough.

the green beam isnt suppose to be enough.

its about all your heals.

personally, i am planning on rolling dps Commando.

mostly cause i roll heals in all other MMOs, and getting tired of it.

yup. the green hammer shot is only used to give small heals.

You want to activate your 'combat support cells' and use that mode while you're wanting to heal others. Use the robots to heal others and use the hammer shot to recharge your ammo.

If I wanted to play a maths game I'd just fiddle with my calculator.

Commando healing will be great in the hands of a great player. Sage healing will be poor in the hands of a poor player.

Play a class, not a spreadsheet.

Perfectly said Koorah.

yup. the green hammer shot is only used to give small heals.

You want to activate your 'combat support cells' and use that mode while you're wanting to heal others. Use the robots to heal others and use the hammer shot to recharge your ammo.

And to stack charges.

Personally I think Commando's will be the perfect healer for me. They have a fire and forget trauma droid with 10 charges, they have area healing and several direct heals. They also talent out to start chaining other effects onto their heals.

All this is likely similar to other healers, however Commando's have two big differences.

1) A BFG and some pretty decent Area damage even without the Gunnery tree.

2) Heavy Armor, the commando will be the most durable of all the healers which in turn can mean the difference in a wipe if there is unwanted agro.

My only concern with the Commando is he is the only healer that doesn't appear to get an in-combat revive ability. This could be a large factor in Flashpoints where the loss of a team mate in a group of 4 has some serious implications, especially if that was the tank.

Overall though, I think I am going to enjoy the Commando healing style more than any other. Ranged DPS + Healing + Heavy armor....Love it!!!

But not very conducive to constructive discussion unfortunately. :rolleyes: Lets look at the facts.
Which are what?

Will the Commando be equal to other classes? You would hope so, but the answer to this question is both subjective and situational. Every class heals differently and their heals will be affected by gear and build choices, the same as everyone else.

Are we talking about healing in PVE, PVP, Warzones, Flashpoints? Are you an experienced healer? Are you facing burst damage, DOT’s? AOE?

Sorry but based on the vagueness of the question my answer is valid. If you like being a Force User play a Sage and if you like a Gun, play a Commando. Learn to play your class well and your healing will be equal to others who have also learned to play their class well. No class in this game is designed to be underwhelming is it?

Basing your class on the numbers they put out on day one of Early Access is just setting yourself up for tears.

Basing your class on the numbers they put out on day one of Early Access is just setting yourself up for tears.

yeah, pretty much. Roll fotm OP class and then you will be sad in a few weeks when you get nerfed. As cliche as it is, and as much as people say it, "play what you want" is a really good piece of advice.

Personally I think a healer/ranged dps would have a lot of mobility options in pvp, thats Y i'm gunna try it out. Mind you I havent actually played the game yet since I just bootcamped my mac this morning. healer with big gun seems pretty interesting to me

if your spec is to dps will that be your role? or will you still be asked to heal in a group/flashpoint?
If you aren't specced to heal, you won't be expected to heal past any level 20 content, the base tools for Commando heals aren't very...extensive.

Before level 20 though, all bets are off, who knows?

Say what you will, I played a Combat Medic in Beta, and I was able to hold my own in a fight as well as heal people efficiently. I won't lie, Combat Medics don't have straight-forward healing like a Consular may have, but on the flip side, I didn't die in 5 seconds when I get attacked by 2-3 enemies...

Commando healing is fine, it just takes a little bit of player attention. We're a little more complex than Sage healers, and I personally kinda like that.

If all this BS about Commandos being unable to heal well finds me in-game, I look forward to proving some people wrong.

Edited by Introspective

Played CM to lvl 42 or 43 in Beta, and was able to solo heal all the FP's we entered. Didn't do a lot of pvp, but if you stay at ranged you'll be able to heal decently in warzones. Its important to stick to the tree until lvl 25-30. At low lvls stack power and crit (they will increase the amount hammershot heals for, and helps to conserve ammo).

the green beam isnt suppose to be enough.

its about all your heals.

personally, i am planning on rolling dps Commando.

mostly cause i roll heals in all other MMOs, and getting tired of it.

Yeah the cannon's green beam is just your resource-free heal. It also serves as a gentle reminder to your team mates - "Yup, remember who's healing. Imagine what'd happen if I became upset and pressed the wrong button on this thing."

Or maybe that's just my imagination.