Simple idea to balance Distortion Field

mr_sim

So in light of Bioware nerfing orbital strike because apparently it's not being used as intended, I believe Scouts are not using Distortion field as intended.

What makes sense to me is Distortion Field is a preemptive ability that lets scout dodge damage they know is coming, rather then using a shield quick recharge after the damage has happened. This makes perfect sense on a Scout it really does.

However scouts are using it to preform in ways they are not meant to as an evasion craft. They are playing as stationary turrets, and entering head to head contests. Both these scenarios should result in likely death to scouts but distortion field allows them to do them and live.

Which might be ok. Only Scouts in this game have big time Burst DPS which is also appropriate as proper scout gameplay means they likely have very short time on target. This is where we see the exploit. Scouts using their distortion field to get too long time on target with no risk to balance that time on target all the while doing high burst DPS.

We can't take Distortion Field out of the game now, that ship has sailed and a lot of requisition has been spent. So here's how to fix it:

Make Distortion Field double blind. Have what it does to enemy accuracy apply to the scouts own accuracy too. meaning nobody hits the scout and the scout doesn't have much chance to hit back.

Edited by mr_sim

I really like what distortion field offers to gameplay. What I'd like to see is simpler: the other shields become better.

If by some chance all the shield types only played on strikes because they can't pick distortion are really the more balanced types, then I think the shield magnitude reduction should increase. Aka- instead of 30% less shields, 50% less shields, or whatever.

Simple Idea to balance Distortion Field -- when you see someone pop it, evade for 6s then reengage.

It's a great ability against fresh pilots who'll happily joust with you and go down in flames on the first pass. Difficult to get such mileage against a more wily pilot though.

Honestly at this point I'd swap it out for something else if I could get a Req refund on it.

So in light of Bioware nerfing orbital strike because apparently it's not being used as intended, I believe Scouts are not using Distortion field as intended.

<snip>

Make Distortion Field double blind. Have what it does to enemy accuracy apply to the scouts own accuracy too. meaning nobody hits the scout and the scout doesn't have much chance to hit back.

Whilst I would have probably done this if I were a developer seeking to nerf DF, I think we should wait for the bombers to be released. From what I have read they are going to completely change GSF as they seem to be quite the counter to scouts already (haven't been on the PTS though so I can't say for sure).

What makes sense to me is Distortion Field is a preemptive ability that lets scout dodge damage they know is coming, rather then using a shield quick recharge after the damage has happened. This makes perfect sense on a Scout it really does.

However scouts are using it to preform in ways they are not meant to as an evasion craft. These are playing as stationary turrets, and entering head to head contests. Both these scenarios should result in likely death to scouts but distortion field allows them to do them and live.

Which might be ok. Only Scouts in this game have big time Burst DPS which is also appropriate as proper scout gameplay means they likely have very short time on target. This is where we see the exploit. Scouts using their distortion field to get too long time on target with no risk to balance that time on target all the while doing high burst DPS.

We can't take Distortion Field out of the game now, that ship has sailed and a lot of requisition has been spent. So here's how to fix it:

Go post this on PTS forum where they'll read it.

Edited by Sadishist

Honestly at this point I'd swap it out for something else if I could get a Req refund on it.

I discovered this a while back. Quickcharge shield is superior to distortion shield when you are fighting experienced pilots. Distortion field is strong, but you pay for it with weak shields with bad regen. Experienced players will simply disengage while DF is up, then wear you down. Quickcharge shield makes 'wearing down' impossible because it recharges under fire faster than distortion does while not being under fire.

About the only time i change to a distortion field ship during a match is when i need to kill an enemy ship that is pressed into a corner under a satellite and the only way to approach it is from the front, into it's guns. Since this cheap tactic is becoming more common, im keeping my novadive equipped with DS, while the flashfire uses quickcharge.

I am really not seeing anyone run quickcharge, and I super don't think that's good advice at all. While the enemy pilot can disengage during your distortion, it at least costs him a run he was planning on dpsing during. Then in the brief window from the end of distortion to the next availability of it, you can use all manner of scout tricks- systems, copilot, boost, engine- to ensure that you are not a tasty target, in addition to the common ones available to everyone (run behind a space potato).

I am really not seeing anyone run quickcharge, and I super don't think that's good advice at all. While the enemy pilot can disengage during your distortion, it at least costs him a run he was planning on dpsing during.

Not if it is an experienced pilot. An experienced pilot expects a scout to pop distortion, makes him pop distortion, boost past the scout or around a satellite, make him waste time turning and reacquiring target, then kill him when distortion is down. It's all part of the plan, not just the DPSing

Then in the brief window from the end of distortion to the next availability of it, you can use all manner of scout tricks- systems, copilot, boost, engine- to ensure that you are not a tasty target, in addition to the common ones available to everyone (run behind a space potato).

He has to do all manners of scout tricks for 14 seconds while he is vulnerable. I on the other hand have to do all manners of scout tricks for 6 seconds while he is invulnerable. 6 seconds vs 14 seconds, my kill window is more than twice as big as his.

Not if it is an experienced pilot. An experienced pilot expects a scout to pop distortion, makes him pop distortion, boost past the scout or around a satellite, make him waste time turning and reacquiring target, then kill him when distortion is down. It's all part of the plan, not just the DPSing

He has to do all manners of scout tricks for 14 seconds while he is vulnerable. I on the other hand have to do all manners of scout tricks for 6 seconds while he is invulnerable. 6 seconds vs 14 seconds, my kill window is more than twice as big as his.

I think its 24 seconds actually. Part of the reason i love running Charged plating on a Pike when there arent many gunships or Burst laser/heavy laser users around (increasingly rare these days so its good old directional which work great against distortion field if you do what you just suggested here as long as you get the directional just right). Honestly All the shields have their inherant flaws and i am feeling it more and more. Directional only works well when you are dealing with opponents from a single Direction, Quick charge dont stand up well to prolonged attacks and deal better for hit and run and Charge Plating is only great against targets that have no capabilities for Armor Piercing which is pretty much non-exsistant among the top pilots on my server these days.

I really like what distortion field offers to gameplay. What I'd like to see is simpler: the other shields become better.

If by some chance all the shield types only played on strikes because they can't pick distortion are really the more balanced types, then I think the shield magnitude reduction should increase. Aka- instead of 30% less shields, 50% less shields, or whatever.

Imho they messed and need to reduce the evasion bonuses somewhere. The problem is with shield pierce and bypass you will never be able to balance distortion field. The lack of any damage to your hull (distortion) is worth far more than a 90% reduction in damage to your hull (any other shields because if you get shot some damage will bleed through to your hull. Unless they do something like make power to shields stop shield pierce and bypass. If they do this then you have a chance at balancing distorting field. That and maybe increase the base cd because a 20 second cd with a 6 second uptime gives 100% evasion for something like for 30% of the time, which factoring in you aren't actually fighting all the time makes it even better.

OK but he also kills twice (if not faster with overcharge) as fast as you so is that balanced? If you dont believe me max out burst cannon, get close, get annoyed at how stupid easy it becomes to kill people.

Edited by Flearos

OK but he also kills twice (if not faster with overcharge) as fast as you

No he does not.

If you dont believe me max out burst cannon, get close, get annoyed at how stupid easy it becomes to kill people.

i *have* a maxed out burst cannon. I'm a flashfire pilot.

Quick charge dont stand up well to prolonged attacks

The only thing that quickcharge is bad against is a sudden huge burst of damage. Prolonged attacks like being pelted by rapid fire for a second with several seconds break between attacks(a.k.a satellite circling matches) will see me regen all damage and keep going indefinitely(whereas another shield would get worn down eventually)

Edited by Sharee

The only thing that quickcharge is bad against is a sudden huge burst of damage. Prolonged attacks like being pelted by rapid fire for a second with several seconds break between attacks(a.k.a satellite circling matches) will see me regen all damage and keep going indefinitely(whereas another shield would get worn down eventually)

Armor piercing is available on burst cannon, which is the best primary weapon in the game right now, IMO. And while i cant speak for anyone else, personally i always take the armor piercing upgrade because it allows me to kill turrets in 1-2 shots.

I think the way i said that was backwards to the way you understood it what i meant was good pilots NOT having Armor peircing is non-existant meaning just about every good pilot i know of has armor piercing weapons making Charge Plating pretty worthless. Sorry if you didnt understand that.

And your point about quick charge is in fact my entire point, it doesnt withstand concentrated power all that well, short bursts and then time with out being hit it does great but prolonged the other ones work better it is a strength weakness thing, but thats every shield. I think the one people should play with is the one that fits the way they do things. Which to me means shields are exceptionally well balanced :D.

I think the way i said that was backwards to the way you understood it what i meant was good pilots NOT having Armor peircing is non-existant meaning just about every good pilot i know of has armor piercing weapons making Charge Plating pretty worthless. Sorry if you didnt understand that.

I actually got that after a while, and edited my post - too late :p

And your point about quick charge is in fact my entire point, it doesnt withstand concentrated power all that well, short bursts and then time with out being hit it does great but prolonged the other ones work better it is a strength weakness thing, but thats every shield. I think the one people should play with is the one that fits the way they do things. Which to me means shields are exceptionally well balanced :D.

Ah. Well we have a different idea what 'prolonged' means, then. 2-3 hits from a burst cannon is not prolonged in my book. Being pelted by tiny rapidfire hits for an extended period of time is.

I actually got that after a while, and edited my post - too late :p

Ah. Well we have a different idea what 'prolonged' means, then. 2-3 hits from a burst cannon is not prolonged in my book. Being pelted by tiny rapidfire hits for an extended period of time is.

I guess "prolonged" isnt exactly the best descriptive word for what i am trying to say. I guess the best would be the shields arent designed to take heavy punishment with out rest.

And what role would that be? Attacking other craft? :rolleyes:

Did you not read the opening post? Does anybody read anymore?

"you used more then one paragraph, I'm going to just reply to your thread title because I don't want to read."

However scouts are using it to preform in ways they are not meant to as an evasion craft. They are playing as stationary turrets, and entering head to head contests. Both these scenarios should result in likely death to scouts but distortion field allows them to do them and live.

^original post (/facepalm)

Did you not read the opening post? Does anybody read anymore?

Yes i did. You are complaining that a scout can use an ability designed to enable him to avoid huge bursts of enemy fire...

... to avoid huge bursts of enemy fire. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sharee

Yes i did. You are complaining that a scout can use an ability designed to enable him to avoid huge bursts of enemy fire...

... to avoid huge bursts of enemy fire. :rolleyes:

Yes further reading of the original post says that scouts should have the option to avoid enemy fire. If limited to defensive maneuvers it's great, it's perfect.

When It's being used to allow scouts an offensive tactic they should not have it is an exploit.

Reiterated: Have DF nerf both attacker and users accuracy. This will limit DF to defensive use only, where it will still be 100% effective as a defensive ability.

As a FF pilot I don't anticipate you agreeing with any attempted changes to your beloved scout though.

Simple fix? Easy, evasion as a whole shouldn't protect your shields.

Shield penetration should only penetrate 1 layer deep too. Both layers up? Penetration damage hits the inner ring. outer ring down? It goes through to the hull.

Honestly going to say this right now I think 2.6 will fix the Flashfires apearance as "OP" because of mines from bombers the introduction of EMP missiles to the pike as well as the EMP field being given to the Nova Dive allowing the Nova to likely be just as good as their Flash fire counter parts thanks to both have EMP Field and Sensor Probe access where the flashfire has Blaster Overcharge access.

To top this all out the nerf to Shield penetration means that ships with stronger shields IE strikes and Bombers will actually be tougher to bring down. all in all reducing Scout domination. i think we need to hold off thinking about how to balance stuff to after we see how well the new patch has ALREADY balanced things. :D

Shields are balanced, this is about how DF is exploitable to use a ship in a role it shouldn't work in.

Its not an exploit. Its a bad design.

Re-guarding quick charge shields. Personally i think these are better in most fights if you flight erratically your will only be able to avoid most hits meaning the 60% of normal regen is quite strong.

Imho shields break down like this.

Directional= face tank, shields to double front for head on passes. Pro large great for burst, cans easily redistribute remaining shields . Con low regen.

Quick charge= turning fights and sat hugging, occasional hits spaced out over time. Pro constant regen occasional burst restore. Con. lower pool. Good for

Distortion= .... um.... Win? Pro. Untouchable except for missiles when active (which take nearly as much time to lock on as the base skill lasts, a good pilot know he can finish a target before having to evade or if they have clusters he can afford to eat a hit) and vastly increased baseline evade. Con. less pool( which given the massive increase in evade is not as bad as it first seems.