Assassin Specs - Deception vs Darkness

Ahhmyface

I'll start this by saying that I'm a 6 month+ F&A beta tester, so I have a lot of familiarity with the class. I've played both specs in various builds.

From the beginning deception always took a backseat to darkness. It was just better. My friend and I dueled many times, compared stats, and there was just no way deception was ever going to come ahead.

Don't get me wrong. Deception is, without a doubt, a good spec. You will do fine. But you will not be a darkness assassin. When I heard they had added an ability called "Assassinate", I assumed this was the stealth-based sin love I was waiting for. Alas, it's a base ability.

Shock is powerful on both classes, both classes have assassinate. Deception has a better discharge, and an extra stun, but Darkness has force pull now. Both classes have stealth, and force cloak. Altogether, things are pretty even so far. But then you get to defense, and the shield/absorb/parry/dodge boosts blows Deception out of the water. It seems there are only a few dps advantages to deception at an enormous cost to survivability.

Those are my observations, just wondering what other people think.

Edited by Ahhmyface

Sup Face ;)

Deception will definitely make up for the lack of defense with a stronger offense, but only after getting Voltaic Slash.

Voltaic Slash builds up Static Charges so fast your mind will short out (heh..). From there a simple Recklessness, Discharge and Shock will leave opponents smoking (heh..).

I think it's really going to come up to personal preference. All 3 trees are built really well and I'm quite happy with any build I've tried so far.

Sorry for the ridiculous puns.

I'll start this by saying that I'm a 6 month+ F&A beta tester, so I have a lot of familiarity with the class. I've played both specs in various builds.

From the beginning deception always took a backseat to darkness. It was just better. My friend and I dueled many times, compared stats, and there was just no way deception was ever going to come ahead.

Don't get me wrong. Deception is, without a doubt, a good spec. You will do fine. But you will not be a darkness assassin. When I heard they had added an ability called "Assassinate", I assumed this was the stealth-based sin love I was waiting for. Alas, it's a base ability.

Shock is powerful on both classes, both classes have assassinate. Deception has a better discharge, and an extra stun, but Darkness has force pull now. Both classes have stealth, and force cloak. Altogether, things are pretty even so far. But then you get to defense, and the shield/absorb/parry/dodge boosts blows Deception out of the water. It seems there are only a few dps advantages to deception at an enormous cost to survivability.

I think you will want to slam your hand in a car door before ever trying to kill a healer or tank as Darkness.

It is a fair argument to make that Deceptions increased damage output is worthwhile, and that is has enough escape mechanisms to make up for it's survivability issues.

Having said that, I think Darkness is awesome for Huttball.

Edited by Draemos

What spec would you use for PvP?

Which level 40 gear would you get, the crit or defense?

Which companion do you use? Ashra or Revel?

What spec would you use for PvP?

Which level 40 gear would you get, the crit or defense?

Which companion do you use? Ashra or Revel?

All depends doesnt it, what do you want to do?

Me? i like tanking and distracting the entire team so my team can open doors. I also like scoring in huttball. Darkness is where its at. If you wanted to do insane damage to all you bump into, then perhaps deception would serve you better.

Again, if you want to be a ball carrier take defence, or take crit instead.

I think this is personal preference. I keep val out while im playing because he's melee, darkside (instant win imho) has AOE and if im getting owned, sacrificial taunt :)

I am right now, only level 20, so cant really comment on higher level dps. As of right now noone can hold threat if im going all out. In groups I have to slow my dps or ill end up tanking the whold time.

You won't be 20 forever, neither will your tanks. You're at a different point in your power curve than they are.

Your observation won't hold true in end game. Unless, of course, your tanks are bad.

You won't be 20 forever, neither will your tanks. You're at a different point in your power curve than they are.

Your observation won't hold true in end game. Unless, of course, your tanks are bad.

Duur... thats why i said i cant comment on high level. As of right now thats what happening. /rollseyes

Many class's change after leveling.. like level as a frost mage, end game pve as a arcane mage etc

Edited by Happy_Puppy

Im level 22 atm and so far have leveled as Deception, got curious about the madness spec, which incidentally seemed quite OP for Sorc unless im mistaken, but may seem a tad similar for assassin so am giving this spec a try

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-inquisitor/assassin/?p=0000000000000000000000200000000000000003020302100000000000

Any thoughts on the spec? I took Dark Embrace initially for the force regen naurally

Im level 22 atm and so far have leveled as Deception, got curious about the madness spec, which incidentally seemed quite OP for Sorc unless im mistaken, but may seem a tad similar for assassin so am giving this spec a try

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-inquisitor/assassin/?p=0000000000000000000000200000000000000003020302100000000000

Any thoughts on the spec? I took Dark Embrace initially for the force regen naurally

You should probably just make a new thread.. it's completely off-topic.

I played as Madness in a beta weekend up to lv. 20, in EGA, I tried deception (to lv. 20 again) and did ok, but I didn't like how it's *VERY* proc/positioning reliant, then I rerolled to a different server when my friends all went to a pvp server. I went back to Madness, maybe it's just because I'm more used to it, but I find that I'm taking down mobs/groups with so much ease that deception feels.. well bland to Madness.

Granted, I've been taking my time and only got to 23 so far on my Madness Assassin, but I'm loving how the spec plays. I've also tanked each flashpoint with ease so far (again, end game I don't expect to tank as madness) with absolutely *no* issue holding threat.

I personally haven't tried out madness in pvp, but I can see it doing well, as I hit fairly hard so far with my abilites (shock/deathfield)

Of course I think it's really based on playstyle, I just like running into a giant group, dropping deathfield, and slaughtering them in the matter of seconds.

as a full deception sin. I must say leveling is hard. Darkness can tank and let a dps companion do the job. Madness can aoe and do the job. Deception can dps and let a companion tank..but tank dies so fast it doesnt matter?

Yup thats deception life. But even without volcanic, deception ownz in pvp. Lot higher dps then darkness sin. Yeah survival is not our thing, but I never needed it anyway. If im going 1 vs 2 even I will burst down the weak one get my kill and boom im invisable again ( after level 22.)

I will wait be patience and boom I got the 2nd kill after my hp comes back. Sometimes I can even handle 2 vs 1 with deflect and expertise stims.

I really really think overall sin talents are perfect. ıts just different playstyles. And of couse each has its pros and cons.

People says until 20 deception is the way to go, which I dont agree by the way. Madness three offers lot more dps output with chain shock rather then maul dps tree.

And more bla bla bla... You got my point anyway

Yup thats deception life. But even without volcanic, deception ownz in pvp. Lot higher dps then darkness sin. Yeah survival is not our thing, but I never needed it anyway. If im going 1 vs 2 even I will burst down the weak one get my kill and boom im invisable again ( after level 22.)

I will wait be patience and boom I got the 2nd kill after my hp comes back. Sometimes I can even handle 2 vs 1 with deflect and expertise stims.

I think this right here, as far as pvp goes, is the mindset to use, regardless of spec, Assasin takes planning and patience in pvp, we're not warriors in the traditional sense, we're actually pretty squishy. But if done right, the right player could probably take out 2 others with various saps/stuns/cc and burst dmg. I've seen some vids from a few assassin pvpers who did really well using all the abilities of the class.

I'm a lvl 30 deception spec.

I did, however go up the madness spec for my first points to grab Double Shock.

Here's the current spec:

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-inquisitor/assassin/?p=0000000000000000000003232011010000000003200300000000000000

Keep in mind I will have to respec out of Crackling Charge now that Surging Charge is available to me, and go for Sith Defiance instead.

I have had no problem leveling up, against quest elites Khem Val often dies with the boss around 10% which is usually enough for me to finish it off using big CD items. Against quest elites I most often use Channel the Force, and Deflection when Khem Val is dead and I'm a biochemist with the self+companion permanent medkit and other assorted reusable stims.

• 1 month later...

Imo darkness is looking to be OP. not just because of the survivability either. I'm on a pvp server and have been HUGE into pvp in mmorpg's forever and I've always been a top dog and the only spec I'm touching is darkness. Force pull is great, you have a 10% heal which is insane for a tank, you have great survivability if you spend your tp's wisely. Obviously the damage output is slightly below madness/deception but both of those make you too squishy IMO. I go 1 vs 2 all the time and take them both out with at least 1/4 of my health to spare. If your into pvp there really isn't even an argument for anything besides darkness, but that's just my opinion. It still baffles me that bio would allow a tank to have the benefits darkness has. 30% extra force regen, nice stuns, force pull, the top talent ability is an AoE that lowers their speed and damage for a good while, a 10% heal, tons of extra defense, annnd stealth annnd the best companion/s imo - it's just ridiculous.

I must admit that the class takes skill to be legit. Unlike a IA sniper or BH you can't just 1 2, 1 2 all game with success. You have to play tactical to be a top player. It reminds me alot of marauders in that player skill is the difference between being a complete useless bum or being a boss/king. Don't think assassins are anything like a rogue bcz we aren't. Stealth --- wooooaaahh! If you wanted a rogueishh toon go w an IA operative.

Last thing - I would alllmost consider rocking with deception but it's WAYYY too reliant on proc's. It's crazy, some encounters you will have your proc's pop up damn near every second and have great burst/destroyyy them BUT other times you will go almost 15 seconds with nothing procn and get your azz ROCKED. I hate the inconsistency of that. I like going into every battle knowing exactly what my rotation will most likely be and not staring at my bar like a hawk all game praying for the proc I need...

DARKNESS BREH

Imo darkness is looking to be OP. not just because of the survivability either. I'm on a pvp server and have been HUGE into pvp in mmorpg's forever and I've always been a top dog and the only spec I'm touching is darkness. Force pull is great, you have a 10% heal which is insane for a tank, you have great survivability if you spend your tp's wisely. Obviously the damage output is slightly below madness/deception but both of those make you too squishy IMO. I go 1 vs 2 all the time and take them both out with at least 1/4 of my health to spare. If your into pvp there really isn't even an argument for anything besides darkness, but that's just my opinion. It still baffles me that bio would allow a tank to have the benefits darkness has. 30% extra force regen, nice stuns, force pull, the top talent ability is an AoE that lowers their speed and damage for a good while, a 10% heal, tons of extra defense, annnd stealth annnd the best companion/s imo - it's just ridiculous.

I must admit that the class takes skill to be legit. Unlike a IA sniper or BH you can't just 1 2, 1 2 all game with success. You have to play tactical to be a top player. It reminds me alot of marauders in that player skill is the difference between being a complete useless bum or being a boss/king. Don't think assassins are anything like a rogue bcz we aren't. Stealth --- wooooaaahh! If you wanted a rogueishh toon go w an IA operative.

Last thing - I would alllmost consider rocking with deception but it's WAYYY too reliant on proc's. It's crazy, some encounters you will have your proc's pop up damn near every second and have great burst/destroyyy them BUT other times you will go almost 15 seconds with nothing procn and get your azz ROCKED. I hate the inconsistency of that. I like going into every battle knowing exactly what my rotation will most likely be and not staring at my bar like a hawk all game praying for the proc I need...

DARKNESS BREH

Arise Thread Long Since Dead

Haunt Thy Forums From Which Thou Wert Created

i have a 50 assassin in battle master. i leveled all the way to 50 in deception and only recently started trying madness, that being said, ive learned that madness is mainly a pve build, especialy against bosses, the dps flys better and is more consistant because of the dots, on the opposite, deception is an awesome pvp build, voltaic slash is a great cheap force ability that does decent damage, also surging conduit is a nice 3rd stance for assasins , it procks stacks to increase damage and increases discharge damage output,also the survivability in deception is better then madness for the simple reason that theres less needed to be done, the rotation isnt as spontanious as madness and it definitly frees you up to pay more attention to surviving in pvp.overall every build has its own benefits and each. the only problem with the madness build as an assassin is the 10m range limitation as opposed to a sorc. if people have any questions though id be happy to help im on swiftsure names sezzi. :)

I leveled as deception up until 32, then switched to 23/0/0 (I am 32 atm) in order to build my 23/0/18 hybrid.

To be honest, with a DPS companion (I use andro atm), I think my down time is less as a Darkness built than Deception.

My survivability increased a lot, I don't lose as much HP as before, and Andro can AoE down lots of mobs.

Now, the reason I switched to this spec was so that I can tank FPs, I haven't done any yet, but eventually if I see that I can't tank, I'll swap to Deception to get VS.