Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Merry Xmas to you too, natashina :)

Thats why I don't tend to say things like 'give us SGRs' or anything like that, I say things like 'stop disabling the romances', because we're not asking for anything special, we're not asking for them to go out of their way and create special all new characters, or separate romance paths, or anything like that (of course we'd enjoy new characters to romance 'in addition to' the existing ones, we just dont want them 'instead of' the existing ones), we simply want them to stop actively preventing us from enjoying the romances that are already in the game.

Yeah, that's how I think of it.

There are romance in the game and PCs can pursue them if they want. Nothing prevents it...oh wait, gender does and that's the only thing.

As I mentioned before, when they added the 'legacy' system they could've actively prevented two characters of the same gender from being regarded as a 'spouse', but they didnt, because to do that would've been insane, it would've meant more work for the team creating it, and less fun options for the players. Its the same deal with the romances, it took more work to keep us from playing them than it would have to allow us to play all of them.

I'm not sure it would take more work to add in the gender checks than allow the romances to be open to both genders. With the latter, additional VA would need recorded plus some dialog re-written. I'd say it's a bit less work to add in a few checks in code. Regardless, it's not that much more work to make them accessible to both genders (as David Gaider points out in one of his comments posted a few pages back) and it's surely less work than adding new SGRA companions from scratch.

So, looking at it this way, lots of work has to be done to add romances to the game in the first place. A little bit more work has to be done to add in gender checks. A little bit more work than that has to be done if you want to make them open to both genders. I just wonder, if your putting the effort into adding romances in the first place, why not go a little bit further and make them accessible to more players?

Edited by stuffystuffs

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't done any of the romance options yet, I wonder how much of it would need to be rewritten and voiced. The rest of the game has been terribly generic, lost track of how many times I've been m'lorded and sir'ed. Would they really have to do that much?

^.^

The rest of the game has been terribly generic, lost track of how many times I've been m'lorded and sir'ed.

It is, and not just for gender. Species is treated generically as well (minus a few references here and there...mostly for alien Imperial players but not much).

Moving forward, it looks like even the classes will all get the same generic treatment by sharing the same story, minus a few bits that make reference to the class (Makeb will be like this at least).

I believe Erickson stated that they don't want to do something like that for SGRAs for some reason...oh yeah, it's "bad writing"....lol. I guess there's lots of bad writing in this game XD

Edited by stuffystuffs

**pops in**

Merry Christmas!!

I'll talk to you guys in the next day or so. I

Stay warm my northern hemisphere friends. It's 4(F)-16©/ degrees out here with snow on the ground.

Got the DA Ultimate Edition pack (Orgin, Awakening and all 9 of the DLC packs for Christmas. I'm having too much fun. :D

And for my buddies in Oz., keep cool and not too hot. Stay hydrated, not thirsty my friends. ;)

Merry Christmas...I got a TARDIS (glass ornament), a book, a Twilight Sparkle plushie, an Apple Family pack, a Fluttershy, a pair of earrings, and a Doctor Who TV Guide :D

So far I've gotten some nice slippers and toe socks from the mother-in-law, DA UE as well as a Bluray version of Brave, and a book entitled Vader and Son. It's really cute.

Before I go ice the cookies, and wrap last minute gifts, here ya go.

(The question, gathered from online submissions, was summed up as, "Is there any update on same gender romance?")

This is an interesting one because it sort of lit up, and we didn't honestly -- if we should give an update on it every single time -- We've always said the same thing with it, which is that it's coming, and it's coming with story updates. And we totally understand when people hear "soon", um, maybe I should have put the TM next to it that, "writer Soon"? The writers have a much, much larger lead time than you would expect, and we wanna do any of this stuff right. We heard suggestions, and we do read the stuff, and let's talk a little about the stuff we were not willing to do. We were not willing to go in and just change all the dialogue to work for the other gender. That is not writing. That is not good storytelling.

Edit: I have not done the SGR in Origins yet. To be honest, I overall like Alistair's personality more, though I plan on trying again with my next toon. It's a blast though!

Edited by natashina

Haven't done any of the romance options yet, I wonder how much of it would need to be rewritten and voiced. The rest of the game has been terribly generic, lost track of how many times I've been m'lorded and sir'ed. Would they really have to do that much?

^.^

Interesting perspective :) I played only female characters so far, but for the romances I tried :

- Smuggler's romance with Corso would probably need to be almost completely rewritten, as he mentions a lot of times that my character is a "lady", needs a husband who would treat her right and so on... Just my opinion ofc but most of those conversations would feel wrong with a male Smuggler.

- Sith Warrior's romance with Quinn : would work fine without any changes at all if the SW was a male. I could count only two lines in the whole romance that would need to be changed (where he mentions the SW being a woman, or his "wife").

But of course, Bioware would still have to call the actors who voiced the player characters and have them record all the lines for the opposite gender's romance.

Edited by kalistea

So far I've gotten some nice slippers and toe socks from the mother-in-law, DA UE as well as a Bluray version of Brave, and a book entitled Vader and Son. It's really cute.

I got shoes... fancy knee-rehab shoes, so they all had to chip in. Better than socks and hankies.

Edit: I have not done the SGR in Origins yet. To be honest, I overall like Alistair's personality more, though I plan on trying again with my next toon. It's a blast though!

I believe http://social.bioware.com/da2/dlc_bundle/ is still running, you can snag the various promo items. (I forget who I mentioned it to, if I'm repeating.)

From what I recall, I don't think Kaliyo or Temple would need much altering....I think I recall Temple saying things about having been with the wrong kinds of guys before but there's always a chance it could work out.

Actually there's one thing that Kaliyo said that I think would work equally well for both genders:

Agent: What would you do if I brought you flowers?

Kaliyo: Find a man.

lol....it just has a different connotation, but I guess the joke is lost.

Best gift today: USB turntable that I can also connect directly to my ipod

It's retro and new at the same time!

Edited by chuixupu

**getting ready to head to folks while icing sets and fudge chills**

I've been waiting all year to break this out.

On a Star Wars related note, Happy Life Day!

Stir whip whip stir beat!

On topic: I'll be sending out more emails by the end of the coming weekend. I've got a new email to send out and I still need to work on the wording.

You guys are great! I'm absorbing all the conversation and learning a bunch as I go. Too bad I probably won't play the ME series; it looks more like a FPS with roleplaying elements. I'm not really into FPS'.

Thanks for the tip for DA2. I'll keep an eye out once I'm done with Origins and Awakening. The romances are really stellar thus far. It's nice to see more of what I've been working towards.

You guys be safe, don't drink too much eggnog, and try to have a great holiday.

Edited by natashina

I had lactose free eggnog. It wasn't bad. I'm just having trouble dealing with an idea. I've wondered if I could confront my androphobia by making and playing a male character, but I'm not sure right now.

You could always just mess around in the character creator for a while, maybe?

If you need any support though, just say :)

You could always just mess around in the character creator for a while, maybe?

If you need any support though, just say :)

It's just....scary. I wish I knew why men make me want to hide and cry.

That's actually wrong....I have a good idea, but I'm not sure why I have a bunch of memories that shouldn't be there at all. :(

Edited by Joushigun

I had lactose free eggnog. It wasn't bad. I'm just having trouble dealing with an idea. I've wondered if I could confront my androphobia by making and playing a male character, but I'm not sure right now.

That sounds like a good idea. I know that with 'irrational' fears like this one it could go either way, really, but I think it would be worth a shot, and I hope it helps!

It's just....scary. I wish I knew why men make me want to hide and cry.

That's actually wrong....I have a good idea, but I'm not sure why I have a bunch of memories that shouldn't be there at all. :(

Ick. I hope you can get past the fear. I myself am a RL male who plays ONLY female characters (who tend to prefer the company of other girls), for a number of reasons I won't go into here...and I've been involved in RP for a long time (though mostly tabletop games. I haven't had much luck in finding RP in MMOs). I can say that some guys aren't worth giving the time of day to, but many are decent people (if a bit incomprehensible and too often fixated on things like sports. I've never understood that part, myself...but people in general tend to be confusing to me).

Edited by VelvetSanity

Well I've reached the limit that I can progress my characters' storylines without SGRs. And in a story based MMO, if you don't have story, what do you have?

I had continued to subscribe for a few months stuck in this limbo, but no more. If I can't play, then I won't pay. Moments ago I cancelled my subscription, BW will not get another cent from me until this issue is addressed.

I wish you all the best of luck, keep up the fight.

You guys are great! I'm absorbing all the conversation and learning a bunch as I go. Too bad I probably won't play the ME series; it looks more like a FPS with roleplaying elements. I'm not really into FPS'..

Ooh, wow *coughs*, how am I gonna make this on topic...

I seriously suggest to reconsider. ME has the most amazing story, spanning over three games (so far), and the combat element is really negligent, believe me. I'm not into FPS either and I loved it. I ended up loving this more than I expected, more than DA (never thought this could be possible), and the game has even had me crying here and there. You'd really miss out on a great experience, a true Bioware gem that you could only wish would stand as an example for SWTOR, writing-wise... I'd recommend playing at least ME3, since ME1 may look a little old-ish and ME2 is a little more action oriented than both other games. The full experience of it is really worth playing through all of them though.

Especially ME3 has been mentioned a few times as an example how companions can turn out with a sexuality different than previously perceived and still be believable. If they adopted this model for SWTOR, I really think having some of our favourite comps as SGR options could be quite possible. I'm looking at you, Corso.... :rolleyes:

On a different note, merry Christmas everyone! Gonna have go to work now, yeah, life sucks at times. :rak_01:

Edited by Lent_San

I wanted to thank everyone for the encouragement :)

I made a male bounty hunter. Weird part is....the first interaction I had with a male NPC...I guess I got into character too much.

I looked for the flirt dialogue :p

Sigh...I'm hopeless.

On the other hand....if Doctor Who can have interspecies lesbian romances- why can't TOR!

On the other hand....if Doctor Who can have interspecies lesbian romances- why can't TOR!

While I do love Star Wars, TOR has quite a long way to go before it's as awesome as Doctor Who. The Christmas Special airs in Australia in about an hour and a half and I'm far more eagerly anticipating that than I am any TOR expansion.

While I do love Star Wars, TOR has quite a long way to go before it's as awesome as Doctor Who. The Christmas Special airs in Australia in about an hour and a half and I'm far more eagerly anticipating that than I am any TOR expansion.

Well, since this isn't spoilers or anything...Vastra and Jenny are great :)

I did steal one thing Vastra says to make into my sig, though.

I can't help but think that the BW-Austin team made some bad mistakes early on. I don't see any reason why we can't play, say, Rodian and Trandoshian.

Edited by Joushigun

Huh... and I was just going to watch because I'm bored. Wasn't even aware of those characters.