Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which Gender/Class allows you to build non-implied familial ties with your companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Which Gender/Class allows you to build non-implied familial ties with your companions

Aeristash
11.15.2016 , 10:26 PM | #1
When I say non-implied, I mean that it's actually stated in game like
Spoiler
and not simply head cannoned through other interactions. Thx

SteveTheCynic
11.16.2016 , 03:30 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeristash View Post
When I say non-implied, I mean that it's actually stated in game like
Spoiler
and not simply head cannoned through other interactions. Thx
There is no combination of character sex and class that allows this, not even the one you mentioned.

The statement you mention is *metaphorical* (like saying someone is your "brother in arms" doesn't mean he is actually your brother), not literal.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Aeristash
11.16.2016 , 07:24 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
There is no combination of character sex and class that allows this, not even the one you mentioned.

The statement you mention is *metaphorical* (like saying someone is your "brother in arms" doesn't mean he is actually your brother), not literal.
^ No, not even close.
Spoiler

Celise
11.16.2016 , 08:28 AM | #4
sometimes people go through war, watch each others backs and save each others lives, away from the frontline and retired, they are a family.

sometimes a group of people have worked with each other for so long that they are like a family unit anyway.

even a married couple unable to have a child naturally decide to adopt a child and later more, even if they are not familial lies in genetics, doesn't make them any less family.

family goes beyond that idea. it's the ones you love the most, the ones you will protect like they are your own, the ones you trust the most to look out for you.

so vette saying that your female SW is like a sister implies that she really thinks you are family to her as long as you return the feeling. who is to say she is wrong?

gaelicvixen
11.16.2016 , 09:21 AM | #5
It's not quite the same thing, but there is a conversation that you can have as a male BH where Torian asks if you're interested in Mako and iirc one of the choices on the wheel is something like "That's gross. She's like my little sister."

My BH is a big, gruff, middle-aged dude who was not interested in romancing a teenager, so I'm not sure if you get that conversation option if you are romancing Mako.

Aeristash
11.16.2016 , 11:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
sometimes people go through war, watch each others backs and save each others lives, away from the frontline and retired, they are a family.

sometimes a group of people have worked with each other for so long that they are like a family unit anyway.

even a married couple unable to have a child naturally decide to adopt a child and later more, even if they are not familial lies in genetics, doesn't make them any less family.

family goes beyond that idea. it's the ones you love the most, the ones you will protect like they are your own, the ones you trust the most to look out for you.

so vette saying that your female SW is like a sister implies that she really thinks you are family to her as long as you return the feeling. who is to say she is wrong?
^ Agreed. Family isn't born of genetics, it's created from the trust, love, sacrifice & devotion two people are willing to give to each other. Technically all romances can become family, but I find the platonic relations like those with Vette exceedingly more lovely.

SteveTheCynic
11.16.2016 , 11:21 AM | #7
^ No, not even close.
Spoiler
Even there it's a kind of metaphor. The SW doesn't, in that original conversation, mean that the "family" is *literally* family, in the sense of blood ties, but *in spirit*, the feeling of togetherness that goes along with our idealised concept of "family". Sorry, I was, perhaps, interpreting your question too literally. Perhaps "family-like ties" is a better way to put it. But outside the Vette/F!SW situation, I don't think there are any. The various romances don't count, of course, but maybe if you don't romance certain of them, you get something like that.

In the same way the "little sister" part is missing a word or two, possibly "Vette is like the little sister I never had", but of course we often don't say that, even in real life, even though that's what we mean. I've seen this idea crop up elsewhere in fiction, sometimes in a "un-father/un-daughter" link, e.g. the former agent Jack(son) Lime and the young waitress Lucy Harper in Joe Clifford Faust's The Company Man.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Aeristash
11.16.2016 , 11:25 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by gaelicvixen View Post
It's not quite the same thing, but there is a conversation that you can have as a male BH where Torian asks if you're interested in Mako and iirc one of the choices on the wheel is something like "That's gross. She's like my little sister."

My BH is a big, gruff, middle-aged dude who was not interested in romancing a teenager, so I'm not sure if you get that conversation option if you are romancing Mako.
^ Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I know Kira, Kaliyo, Ashara and Nadia don't go beyond BFF and devoted disciple in the non-romanced paths but with Mako's devotion to Braden, I had an inclination that there would be room for Family bonds with the hunter. Tho I'm going to do it with a female hunter.

SteveTheCynic
11.16.2016 , 11:40 AM | #9
^ Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I know Kira, Kaliyo, Ashara and Nadia don't go beyond BFF and devoted disciple in the non-romanced paths but with Mako's devotion to Braden, I had an inclination that there would be room for Family bonds with the hunter. Tho I'm going to do it with a female hunter.
I think in the particular BH case, you're both reading more into it than is there. I would have said that the BH doesn't mean that "like my little sister" in the way that the SW talks about Vette. Rather, I think he means "it would be like committing incest with my little sister", meaning that she *is* quite young (around 19 as the story opens on Hutta, I believe) and *seems* younger at times.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Aeristash
11.16.2016 , 12:09 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Even there it's a kind of metaphor. The SW doesn't, in that original conversation, mean that the "family" is *literally* family, in the sense of blood ties, but *in spirit*, the feeling of togetherness that goes along with our idealised concept of "family". Sorry, I was, perhaps, interpreting your question too literally. Perhaps "family-like ties" is a better way to put it. But outside the Vette/F!SW situation, I don't think there are any. The various romances don't count, of course, but maybe if you don't romance certain of them, you get something like that.

In the same way the "little sister" part is missing a word or two, possibly "Vette is like the little sister I never had", but of course we often don't say that, even in real life, even though that's what we mean. I've seen this idea crop up elsewhere in fiction, sometimes in a "un-father/un-daughter" link, e.g. the former agent Jack(son) Lime and the young waitress Lucy Harper in Joe Clifford Faust's The Company Man.
Family-like? Idealized concept? Are you saying that just because they don't share a genetic lineage, the most they could ever hope to achieve is a pseudo imitation of real family bonds?
Spoiler