Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GF, Veteran FPs, and healers (and tanks)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
GF, Veteran FPs, and healers (and tanks)

JediQuaker
06.22.2019 , 10:59 AM | #1
I know I've posted stuff like this in response to other threads, but I thought I'd make an actual thread about it.

Some background:
What prompted this post was a Veteran FP I was in last night. The group consisted of 3 DPS and 1 Healer - usually a good combo for Veterans.
Early on in the FP, someone else in the group - not the healer, and not me - used a Kolto. Shortly afterwards the Healer made some sort of comment about how they were the healer and we should leave all healing to them.
Being in a sort of mood, I replied, "And we can also heal ourselves". The healer replied - I think in an attempt to be sarcastic - "So you don't need me" and I replied "You're right, we don't".
This apparently got the healer's knickers in a twist, and they left the group. So, the other level 70 DPS Gunslinger took out his trusty Risha (beat me to it) and we finished the FP with no problem.

The point of all this is not to put down or berate the healer, but simply to point out the basic facts.
Veteran FPs are balanced and have Kolto stations so that any sort of group can do them. For various reasons, this ends up being a group of 4 DPS about 75% of the time and in most cases the Vet FP can be done just fine. (The exceptions being the later FPs like Copero, etc.)
This means that (vet FP) experienced DPS players are very much used to looking after their own health and will naturally use Koltos if they think they need it. It also means that, generally speaking, healers (and tanks) are not "needed" although they are good to have.

So, if you are a healer or tank and you join a Veteran FP group through Group Finder, please refrain from expressing the attitude that you are somehow "special". I suggest you simply do your job to the best of your abilities and not get all cranky when someone uses a kolto or medpack, or, for tanks, someone jumps in and "steals" agro, etc. You actually can be replaced by a companion.

So, just relax, and have fun.

P.S. - also, as I mentioned in another post - I'm there to enjoy myself. I'm not there to help you "learn" - not my job.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

LD_Little_Dragon
06.22.2019 , 11:36 AM | #2
Where are healers/tanks supposed to learn then? When you que for Master Mode flashpoints players expect you to already know the flashpoints and your role and not be still learning.

Healing isn't too bad, you can do a decent job learning on the harder trash pulls, but tanks have pretty much no chance to learn proper tanking due to most dps not even being willing to wait 1s for the tank to pull and position the mob.

If it's speed you're concerned about you should be letting higher level tanks in vet flashpoints do their jobs and collect mobs for proper aoe. Mobs die a lot faster when they are not all spread out.

The next time some dps on fleet is begging for tanks/healers to que for master mode flashpoints and/or OPs you might want to consider just why there is a such a shortage.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

KendraP
06.22.2019 , 11:56 AM | #3
As a tank main, I just dont queue vet FP as a tank. I'll go dps. Healing is actually useful, if not actually necessary, but a tank is a total waste of space a dps could be using.

Pirana
06.22.2019 , 12:07 PM | #4
If or when I queue for Vets on my healer(s), I almost never heal unless absolutely necessary. I'll dps most of the time and use the kolto stations as needed. Perhaps the healer that bailed from the group in the original post's summary wasn't aware of the stations function. I know when I first started this game I had no idea what those were. Either way though, if the healer left that abruptly, it appears someone was butt hurt...
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

Kiesu
06.22.2019 , 12:51 PM | #5
They were in the wrong for complaining about you using kolto. You were also jerkish to continue and state you dont need him.

Vet FPs are a bit of an annoyance at the moment, because 4dps is what everyone want for it, and all other roles are bit on the "this would probably go faster without you" line. There is just no way around it, sad but true. The state of FPs lvsync wise is a disaster as well. They'd have to do a complete overhaul on vet FPs to fix them in a state that would reliably work for all levels and roles.

If you get vt fp with 4 tanks or healers, people often facepalm and leave, because it's an agonizingly boring slow dungeon with a selection like that. And they know it. You don't need to rub it in.
Refer! - Pawn alignment funzies - [Add impressive e-peen brag here]
What made Origin stories superior to KotFE/ET? All 8 story characters could co-exist.
Level and world designer, comic artist, general RP nerd and occasional snark novelist.
Legions of Lettow → Tomb of Freedon Nadd → Red Eclipse → Darth Malgus.

DenariusJay
06.22.2019 , 01:04 PM | #6
How is it even possible to be butt hurt in a Vet FP? That's like being mad at a Class story mission.

Usually I just let the healer do there thing and only grab a kolto if absolutely necessary, ie a group member or myself sub 15% hp and the healer isn't healing or can't keep up. I guess I don't run enough Vet anymore to really find why its an issue.
server: The Hot Prospect (10/4/2017 #NEVERFORGET)
Characters: Billie Eilish/Jessica Alba/Olivia Munn / Rashida Jones / Alicia Keys / Colin Kaepernick

bgstranger
06.22.2019 , 01:49 PM | #7
I'm a MMFP junkie, so I develop a great respect for good tanks and healers.
So even in tacticals, I let them do their roles. Actually, the best Vet runs that I remember, are with good tanks - neither they, or the rest of the group stops at any point to regenerate, just chain pulls all the way. And I just focus on my dps.

It's not a job to let ppl do what they like, just don't be a jerk about it.

denavin
06.22.2019 , 02:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
I'm not there to help you "learn" - not my job.
You can cut your post down to this one line and everybody will know everything they need to know from your post.

No, it's not your JOB, but you could be helpful to those that are not as LETE as you feel you are, spread your knowledge and experience instead of being a Jerk. That is just being polite and helpful, of which I can take it by your comment that your are neither. So I would NOT complain about the Healer's comments too much as you have NO place to make complaints with an attitude like that.

It would not hurt you nor will it detract from your playing experience if you take a little bit of your precious time to help your fellow player. In fact it will enhance your game if you do take the time.

Try to Remember when you berate somebody for NOT knowing the fight. YOU WERE THERE AT ONE TIME TOO. You were not born knowing how every fight worked. YOU TOO had to learn from others HOW. So get off your HIGH HORSE and try being a little more personable at times.

As for your gripe with the Healer, it's trivial.... GET OVER IT!!
HK-55: "Do you think she passed her test?"
Z0-OM: "According to my sensors.... NO
."

Phazonfreak
06.22.2019 , 03:40 PM | #9
Reading your story and your put down I can actually understand the healer somewhat and why he/she left your group. I too left groups as a healer when it became very obvious that the others used me as a heal bot. The only thing worse than that are mindless dps rushers that don't care at all for their teammates and can't even bring themselves to wait 5 seconds to recuperate after a big fight. And if you say something you get immediately kicked, because a companion does not talk back.

lightSaberAddiCt
06.22.2019 , 08:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
Where are healers/tanks supposed to learn then? When you que for Master Mode flashpoints players expect you to already know the flashpoints and your role and not be still learning.

Healing isn't too bad, you can do a decent job learning on the harder trash pulls, but tanks have pretty much no chance to learn proper tanking due to most dps not even being willing to wait 1s for the tank to pull and position the mob.

If it's speed you're concerned about you should be letting higher level tanks in vet flashpoints do their jobs and collect mobs for proper aoe. Mobs die a lot faster when they are not all spread out.

The next time some dps on fleet is begging for tanks/healers to que for master mode flashpoints and/or OPs you might want to consider just why there is a such a shortage.
So what, we are suppose to die to a boss in a veteran FP to give the healer experience? That sounds like a very insecure healer. There are times when a certain boss effect happens that you should hit a kolto to keep up the health during a dps storm (Manaan anyone)? But OP was being kind of a jerk, there was no need for the snark.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32