What ATI Graphics Card Please?

MarkDOTJames

I am running dual HD6970's in crossfire running the game at 1920x1080, and average in most area's 60 fps with everything maxed out and forced x8 anti-aliasing, the only area which runs poorly is the impeial fleet where there are a lot of players i usually get 15fps.

personally if I was you I would wait a while for the AMD 7970 or 7990 to come out as they are over 30% faster than a 6970

from experience:

Nvidia = games

ATI = office

Why do you prefer ATI over Nvidia ? Because of the 3-screen thingy ?

Mind explain that to me ? I dont understand ...

Nvidia does great with 2 screens, im sure they will do good with 3 screens ..

Whenever i read about grafical problems in games, their source was ATI cards ... really ^^

from experience:

Nvidia = games

ATI = office

Whenever i read about grafical problems in games, their source was ATI cards ... really ^^

I've been an ATI user since the old "RAGE" cards - and only had a few problems with their drivers back in the late 90's... never had a single issue with them, ever again.

from experience:

Nvidia = games

ATI = office

Most nvidia cards only support 2 screens.

Anyways, OP, I suggest you read some reviews of 6950,6970 and 6990 to make up your own mind of what to get. But if you really don't have a budget, going for the biggest bang is always a safe bet. And as someone mentioned above, you could wait for the 7970 from AMD to be released.

But if I got to decide what you would buy, I'd get 2 Nvidia cards 560/70/80. I've always felt that nvidia delivers more reliable drivers and better cards overall, but AMD's current lineup is in no way bad ofc.

I currently run 2x 560ti 2gb on with 3 screens and SWTOR at 100fps with everything at max.

from experience:

Nvidia = games

ATI = office

^ this QFE

I've been an ATI user since the old "RAGE" cards - and only had a few problems with their drivers back in the late 90's... never had a single issue with them, ever again.

AMD is as good as Nvidia, but ya some people still believe nvidia is the only valid card for games. There are games where AMD has 5 fps more and there are those where Nvidia is 5 infront.

In the end it doesnt matter what you get, nvidia is just about 10-15% more expensive and offers physx and a better 3D package.

@ OP

I would go for an 6970 and at the end of this year or in 2013 upgrade it, until then you wont need one of the new ones, the performance is only to a small degree better, except you must enable graphic improvements like AA+.

The new cards also work with PCIe 3.0, but so far no game really needs the bandwith so to buy a new mainboard and such an 800$ card in 1 or 2 months is atleast in my opinion a waste of money - especially that dx 12 isnt even close.

Edited by RachelAnne

I am running dual HD6970's in crossfire running the game at 1920x1080, and average in most area's 60 fps with everything maxed out and forced x8 anti-aliasing, the only area which runs poorly is the impeial fleet where there are a lot of players i usually get 15fps.

That's interesting... I run a single 6950 and have similar performance to you but at a resolution of 1920 x 1200. In fact, my FPS is 70+ outdoors and 50+ indoors and that's with all max and shadows.

I'm saying this as I am considering X-fire myself with a second 6950, but form what you say it's not worth it.

Edited by VainEldritch

That's interesting... I run a single 6950 and have similar performance to you but at a resolution of 1920 x 1200. In fact, my FPS is 70+ outdoors and 50+ indoors and that's with all max and shadows.

I'm saying this as I am considering X-fire myself with a second 6950, but form what you say it's not worth it.

You two should compare more than your GPUs. Cause that is quite interesting.

from experience:

Nvidia = games

ATI = office

I used to alternate which brand card I would purchase when I upgraded my rig, but after 3 nvidia cards in a row that had issues (1 defective out of the box, 2 failed after about 3-5 months) I buy only ATI/AMD video cards. They have all worked flawlessly so far.

Even my friends who always used nvidia cards exclusively (and without the issues I experienced) have switched to ATI, they have also yet to experience "grafical problems"

Not sure where you picked up your intel, but I would check your sources.

As for the OP's question, you can pick up a radeon 6950 for under 300 bones that will run this game nicely. If you have the extra cash, pick up 2.

Edited by OriginSucks

6950 is a 2 gb card, systems has 8 gb RAM and an i7 2600k at 4.1 (turbo on-demand).

And now we sit in suspense as we await Kretos response.

edit;

I use a NVidia GTX 590 card for my computer and it supports 3 screens. So if you have no budget and want to stay NVidia you have an option.

Yes but that's a 2 gpu setup which has, in my and many others experience a lot of flaws. That and the fact that getting 2 560Ti's is cheaper with more punch and 2 570's is about the same price tag with way more punch. Although SLI has its fair share of problems as well.

Edited by Gragge

I'm running 2 6950s in X-fire, and my average fps ranges from 80-110 everywhere but the imperial fleet, where I get about 35 ish. This is at 1920x1080 with all settings maxed and AA forced on at 8x. But I have a friend with only one 6950 and runs the game fine. Overall I think the benefit of X-fire (or SLI) is limited at best.

I'm running 2 6950s in X-fire, and my average fps ranges from 80-110 everywhere but the imperial fleet, where I get about 35 ish. This is at 1920x1080 with all settings maxed and AA forced on at 8x. But I have a friend with only one 6950 and runs the game fine. Overall I think the benefit of X-fire (or SLI) is limited at best.

I have the same settings on 560Ti in SLI and if I turn sli off to use my third screen the FPS ingame stays about the same.

Not sure where you picked up your intel, but I would check your sources.

Well, pointed in the first line, im playing computergames for more then 30 years now, i should know ^^

Im not well educated in the last 2 generations of what-happend-to-gfxcards, my card is a 9800GT and im still looking what to buy next, as an upgrade is needed badly ^^

The newer generations of AMD gfx-cards may going better, but wasnt it ATI who failed and was eaten by AMD ? Maybe AMD has fixed some general issues on their turf then .. /shrug

I'm running a 6950. I love it. In fact, i'm probably going to pick up a second to run in crossfire.

However, i definitely recommend reading the reviews out there (there's tons) and weighing them against the budget factors for the card.

Edited by Shinavast

Do ATI cards support 3 screens out of the box ?!

Yes they do.

Also, I run 2x6950 and my game runs fine on 2560x1600. That said, I'd still wait a week or two and buy the 7000 series, if I was buying now. They'll cost about the same as the current ones, but with 40% more POWERRR.