Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bolster Plans for 5.10 and Beyond

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bolster Plans for 5.10 and Beyond
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Totemdancer
11.16.2018 , 08:56 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by WayOfTheWarriorx View Post
You wouldn't like him as much if ya met him in TOS HM. Seems like every time you meet him there you inevitably end up lieing on the ground even though your not tired.

No social skills whatsoever. He's kind of an A-O actually.
LoL, probably not. He is a dick, but the lead up to him was fun.
I especially liked being able to still do real OWPVP on Yavin while I waited for pvp pops or while farming mats,
Pvp gear was still a thing and Flagging for pvp on the same instance as everyone was still a thing.
Doing story with someone in a group was “mostly” still a thing. At least it wasn’t as restricting as chapters are now.
I think the Revan exapansion was the last “true” MMO expansion in this game. The last 2 expansions have essentially been RPGs with side game content that was neglected till Keith came along (pvp, FPS and OPs).

Neulwen
11.16.2018 , 09:39 PM | #112
No gear gaps.
Yes as long as, as I mentioned before, players with pve gear also get competitive stats in bolster, so we avoid situations like in the past where pveers in high ilvl gear got so little expertise they were weak compared to players in pvp gear. It appears some players who do both pve and pvp are unwilling to get 2 sets, even if the pvp one is easy, and not accommodating them will either lead to more uneven games or less players doing pvp.

If they change things now and keep the 5.10 gear grind only for PVEers there will be a Civil War over it unless PVPers would be kind enough to lend them 5000 gazillion credits for BIS gear on the GTN.
The new gear is meant for NiM ops, where the materials also drop, so why should it affect pvp. Gear progression is part of pve raiding.
The electrons are singing.

TrixxieTriss
11.16.2018 , 10:13 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Neulwen View Post
players with pve gear also get competitive stats in bolster, so we avoid situations like in the past where pveers in high ilvl gear got so little expertise they were weak compared to players in pvp gear. It appears some players who do both pve and pvp are unwilling to get 2 sets, even if the pvp one is easy, and not accommodating them will either lead to more uneven games or less players doing pvp.
But that’s all relative to the situation. The same argument could be made that pvp geared players should get bolstered to be competitive in operations.
That just leads us back to only needing one set of gear in the game because there would be no difference.

Pvp gear always needs to be better than pve gear in pvp. The same as pve gear always needs to be better than pvp in gear in operations.

One of the reasons we had expertise was because the pve gear was always so much higher in stats than pvp gear. You couldn’t wear pvp gear into NiM ops and it be any good. The same as you couldn’t wear the top end pve gear into pvp and it be any good.

Bioware could have definitely done things better around the whole expertise and bolster setup,

What should probably happen moving forward is pve gear gets bolstered to what ever level bolster is set at for entry level gear and without set bonuses. It could require some people needing to be negatively bolstered and some positively bolstered.

Pvp gearing only works if there is a distinct difference between pvp and pve gear. Otherwise there is no point in having it and they may as well set bolster to max level for everyone.

Neulwen
11.17.2018 , 12:23 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
But that’s all relative to the situation. The same argument could be made that pvp geared players should get bolstered to be competitive in operations.
That just leads us back to only needing one set of gear in the game because there would be no difference.
No, if someone does both pve and pvp they could gather only pve gear if they wanted, and use that for pvp too. The other way would only work on the low tiers of pve content. Having one same gear for both doesn't work because if there is to be gearing in pvp, it needs to be fast and easy to minimise imbalance. For pve however, gearing is part of the process, and much slower, the higher tiers at least. This new masterwork gear is being introduced for NiM GotM for example.

Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Pvp gear always needs to be better than pve gear in pvp. The same as pve gear always needs to be better than pvp in gear in operations.
Why does pvp gear need to be better than pve gear for pvp? What would be so bad about pve mainly players jumping into some occasional pvp and having an equal footing, not being a stat burden to their team? Material rewards from pvp could be in the form of cosmetics. It doesn't have to be gear.

But again, I think we should have access to gear via pvp, if only for stat tweaking purposes and basic pve content. Something similar to 4.x only with a better bolster.
The electrons are singing.

Talon_strikes
11.22.2018 , 04:58 PM | #115
Expertise needs to come back. RNG gearing has to go. We need more class balance to change the current 2+ year old meta.

We also need new expansion-sized PvP and PvE content that'll justify this seemingly months-long new gear grind, but we know that'll never happen so this upcoming gear grind needs to be canceled.

I highly doubt anything I've said will come to fruition, though. EAware is their own worst enemy when it comes to the development of this game.
Do you want free 7 days of subscription time? And one free server transfer?
With a bundle of goodies? And obtain these rewards every 90 days?
Then click my referral link and login to an existing account, or create a new one, for these rewards today! Don't forget to bookmark it too!

TrixxieTriss
11.22.2018 , 06:38 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Talon_strikes View Post
Expertise needs to come back. RNG gearing has to go. We need more class balance to change the current 2+ year old meta.

We also need new expansion-sized PvP and PvE content that'll justify this seemingly months-long new gear grind, but we know that'll never happen so this upcoming gear grind needs to be canceled.

I highly doubt anything I've said will come to fruition, though. EAware is their own worst enemy when it comes to the development of this game.
Couldn’t agree more.

This is EAware opening presents at Christmas - gets a new blaster and automatically blows off a foot to see it will grow back next year.
Then EAwares birthday comes around and they get a new light sabre and automatically cut of the other leg because their other foot had not grown back yet.
The following year EAware ask Santa for a new foot, hand and leg - Santa sends them another blaster (Santa is a sadist)

NogueiraA
11.25.2018 , 11:54 PM | #117
Eric, I play since BETA and I tell you that the COMMUNICATION with the community is the key for a good game.
Thanks for this, it's almost what we expected but the fact the devs ACTUALLY READ the forums is what matters.
252 is not perfect but good enough to settle expectations, but devs listening and taking actions is what gonna make people not unsub.

Just an idea, how about you create an item rating ONLY for bolster? Like 256? This way the gap is even smaller and people who loves "min/max" still have a goal to chase.
La'izen | Sentinel
Jedi Laizen | Guardian
Satele Shan
BETA tester

Seterade
11.26.2018 , 12:50 AM | #118
A lot of people forget that nim gear had such high rating that it could match expertise gear. (I remember watching duels between nim raiders and pvpers on yavin4 in 3.0)

in addition they got a minimum expertise level just by being bostered, I think it was like 10%

in the old days tho, very few people actually had nim gear... cuz the game actually had diffculty
Quote: Originally Posted by RafaelPeretz View Post
hope they don't wait 2 years to fix it.

Totemdancer
11.26.2018 , 01:45 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
A lot of people forget that nim gear had such high rating that it could match expertise gear. (I remember watching duels between nim raiders and pvpers on yavin4 in 3.0)

in addition they got a minimum expertise level just by being bostered, I think it was like 10%

in the old days tho, very few people actually had nim gear... cuz the game actually had diffculty
This is true. NiM gear was always 2-3 levels higher in stats than pvp gear. It’s why we had a pvp specific stat (expertise) so that the devs didn’t have to keep uping pvp gear everytime they raised it for a new OP difficulty.

If we didn’t have the pvp stat, then raiders would have been coming into pvp with gear 2-3 times higher. People seem to forget that when they whine about not wanting expertise back. If we had pvp gear, we wouldn’t need to grind to keep getting higher and higher pve gear that we dont really need for the rest of the pve content.

Anyone who thinks getting two sets in 3.0-4.x was hard is deluding themselves. Compared to now it was a cake walk. Compared to what we are about to get, it was like getting given it,
The grind is about 20 times harder for pve gear and about 40 times harder if comparing it to the old pvp gearing.
Going back to the old system with expertise would allow people to get pvp gear in less than 2 weeks and pve gear for non ops could be worn with Bolster till then.
Getting pve gear for ops wouldn’t be needed by any except raiders. So basically no gear grind for the majority of players.

When we had pvp gear I could even do SM ops with no problem. So I didn’t even bother with 2 sets of gear. All I had was my pvp gear if I wanted to do 95% of the pve content. I never had a problem, even when NiM geared people would try and jump me in OWPVP.

Bringing back the old system is the best solution to the gearing problem in this game. Nobody but progression raiders like grinding gear this much. The rest of us don’t even need NiM gear to do any of the other content in the game.
The only reason pvpers will need it is because it’s availabe and if some have it in pvp, then all needed.

Seterade
Yesterday , 12:43 AM | #120
+1 for expertise return eric. Im giving you my vote now cuz I wont have forum posting soon.

I could explain all the reasons why expertise needs to come back... but I have a far better idea. for all of you who dont get it, say nooo I dont want to carry 2 set. do a wz. have some fun. right now. because right now? is how it used to be. everyone used to be equal. it took a week to gear up. then you ran in and had fun. you didnt get blown up in one rotation. you didnt lose half your hp to a 30k ambush.... this game used to be balanced and fun.... but we've all forgotten.. just bought into this god forsaken bs gear wins crap.

I cant tell how... both sad and happy todays wzs made me. it was like the good old days, when the game was fair.. and made money. and I also knew deep down...... it wasnt going to last. 6 months from now people in top gear will be obliterating all the new rerolls once more and nothing will have changed.

heres to expertise.. the last time this game had fun pvp.
Quote: Originally Posted by RafaelPeretz View Post
hope they don't wait 2 years to fix it.