Ranked warzone clarification

donthedondon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have to add more fuel to the fire about gear. On my two main PVP toons (Devíldog and Cheerleader), a lot of the gear is crap until it's min/maxed... but whatever... I guess it's part of the grind for that marginal gain... but I'll still do it.

Now with regards to Ranked WZs. I love doing them... but there are a number of problems with it.

1) There are not a lot of teams q'ing. I know my guild (Republic Gentlemen) has a lot of solid players, but we are a PVE guild first. We never have enough to do rateds consistently and if we do, it's not an optimal group. A lot of the guilds out there that q for ranked do so with a perfectly balanced group. I can get about the same amount of comms by running a 4-man premade in unranked and facerolling pugs than q'ing ranked with a team that's not optimal and having a miserable time losing.

2a) I'll give Honorof a ton of credit for recently putting together "pugs" for ranked wzs. I say pugs because it's a group of players from various guilds... but the player quality is there. All the players are solid pvpers... and it's been fun... but it's not that well-oiled machine that has worked together and have the chemistry. We've won some and lost some, but when guilds like LD50, Uncensored, etc. learn that we are doing ranked with a pug, they get a team together and q. After a couple losses, people start dropping and it's over.

2b) More credit to Honorof... we were pugging ranked the other day and another group of solid pvpers were doing the same. After we saw that one team was slightly stronger than the other, he made a trade to balance out the teams to make things better. It made sense and increased the competition level. What killed it that night was one of the regular PVPing guilds learned we were q'ing and jumped in and rolled the teams by pulling in their guildie(s) from our pug. It died shortly later because it wasn't fun anymore.

3) My main is Devíldog. No ranked team wants a dps commando because we are broken in our utility. I can dps with the best of them, but again... that's all I really bring. I do ranked more on Cheerleader now than I do on Devildog. This is a BW issue that they need to address. I can't wait for the day that Commandos become the flavor of the month like smashers are now. It'll happen one day!

4) The PVP guilds seem to only q when they are optimal. Their players seldom q with pugs. We tried to pull in a person from one of the PVP guilds the other day and he said he won't do ranked wzs unless it was with his usual group. This goes to the point that if the hardcore PVP guilds want more teams to q up... they should also participate in the pug groups when they don't have a team going in. It seems that the regular Ranked PVPers want more teams to q and are asking us to make efforts, when I feel they could make some efforts too in improving the ranked community by participating in things outside of their well-oiled machine.

5) I'm not going to point a finger at anyone specifically... more so at an origin server. I was originally Shii-Cho... and then JC with the first merger. The thing I really liked about SC and JC was that all the guilds were really cool with one another. Both in PVP and PVE. Guilds helped one another... guilds did things together... it was quite nice. When JC absorbed CO, the attitudes brought by certain guilds really lowered the quality of the expereince for many of us. Certain CO guilds (both imps and pugs) are simply nasty in WZs and flat out [insert expletive]. Not everyone in these guilds, but many of them. Lots of name calling and bashing in unranked WZs. Lots of rudeness and disrespect. Yes... I'm friends with a lot of the Uncensored guys and consider many of them friends in the games as I have been running with them for ages when I get the chance... so maybe I'm biased, but a lot of guilds could learn a thing or two from them. I'm no perfect angel and I get caught up in the heat of the moment, so I can call myself out a little here too. Perfect example was my imp alt. He got removed from Uncensored's imp guild because of something I did on my main on the rep side. Got caught up in the heat of the moment and made a rude gesture towards an imp. Really what it was was that this person was picking on our healer too much in a WZ and I wanted to annoy him to the point that he attacked me and not the healer. Well the snowball rolled and got big and long story short, it ended up costing me a spot in their imp guild. Oh well. I was annoyed, but to some extent, I understand their reasoning. You never see Uncensored acting like jerks in a warzone or being disrespectful. Many guilds could learn a thing or two from them.

OK... my book is done and I'm off my stump. I think my main point is that if you hard-core ranked pvpers want more participation from other teams, guilds, people, etc... it takes more than just a desire on your part and a post in the forums. It takes effort on your part as well to make the community a better place. Don't be a {insert expletive here'} to people.... take part in some pugs (even if it costs you some of your ranking)... help players that may not be the best.... invite classes that some don't want (my plug for Devíldog/DPS Commandos)... don't always wait for your optimized group so you can faceroll people... don't farm medals against teams. All of this causes people to drop and not come back... so when pointing the finger at people to participate... point the finger at yourself too for not making it an environment that people want to be a part of.

Edited by Shreb

So here's one last idea... when a regular ranked PVP guild like Uncensored, LD50, US, etc want to q for ranked... why not split their group into two 4-man teams and invite some of their friends from other guilds that don't get to do ranked as much to fill their spots. I know I would be totally into doing this. It would improve the community... get more people doing ranked... let more people gain expereince and strats from the regulars... etc.

when we have more than 8 online and they are running ranked i know weve said we would join annother team. some of the guys are still trying to get thier 2400 rating. I personally dont care because i rock 7 diff toons. if you guys wanna q up feel free to toss me an invite im always on. /who jal and thats prob me. I know moonrunner has posted that he would join anyone as well.

Devildog, many of us already said we were ready to queue with other guilds, the real problem is organization. Also, I think Honorof doing pug group is great, but last time I grouped with him, he booted people cause they were undergeared(relatively undergeared) and I've left his group that time because I didn't approve of this. Now maybe this has changed.

Since the patch though, getting full WH is easy and if you augment it, you are ready to go. We queued ranked wz against Watchmen with Devil sentinel not having better than full augmented WH with no min/maxing. I'm saying this because if everyone that is interested in doing ranked get himself at least one character with that gear and focus on getting good at playing that character, we would have a large player base to form teams with. But again, the problem would be organizing it all... Look at the season 1 3v3 or the ranked wz schedules threads, people aren't really posting in them, I don't know what to do about that.

Lastly, for the ones of us that have a PvP centered guild, queueing with our well-oiled machine is more compelling because you are improving the team by learning to play together better. And personally, since I subbed back a week ago, I've been awaiting to play ranked against LD50 again :) Last time I was playing against them a lot, I'd say they were better than us but during the time I was F2P I heard it was very close so I'm looking forward to having top quality games. And this is not counting all the other competitive guilds that give us a run for our money.

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions and I'll try to help the community, but I think the real problem is organization and I just don't know what to do about it. I think a lot of people would be interested in doing what Hobi suggested, having a big pool of player, a list of names, and team captain picking players from it.

Llye and I were talking briefly and will continue on a strategy for organization and such. One thing brought up is a vent to be used for groups. I'm more than willing to buy a JC PVP vent channel if people thinks it may help.

Yup! seen a few different teams , was a good night of rateds , gj bloodline and tryhards united on the competitive games let's em keep em rolling !

Try Hards United queues when we know other teams are. I don't really care about doing ranked at all, so if we know the queue is going to pop, we throw a team together. Wooky told me that Bloodline queues on Saturday nights, so I think we're going to do our best to queue up then. (After all the holidays are over.) Uncensored also asks us to put a team together if they're sittin around bored from time to time, and if we have enough people on we do it (which is most of the time). So if other guilds are interested, we can spread the word around.

Edited by Annaka

Would anyone be interested if I set up a night where we have a list of people available (appropriately geared/experienced) and have a number of captains selected... then do a draft of players and q for ranked? It's much easier than it sounds, I know, but I don't mind doing leg-work to get this organized. For example, we would require everyone who wants to play build a profile of their toon, spec, and gear. Then, let's say we have 24 people... we designate 3 captains and do a draft until we have 3 teams... then we q up and go from there. Again... easier than it sounds, but could be a lot of fun. I've recently been PVPing and do ranked with some people that I haven't really rolled much with before and have gotten to know and like a number of new people. So not only would this create more ranked experience for people... it would open the door to new friends and pvp buddies. I know ever since I have done more organized pugs, I have been grouping with more people than I have had before and have had a good time.

Now... with the above stated... this would be an organized event... and I could honestly see a few select guilds taking advantage of the situation and building their own premades and q'ing... so we would have to find some way to minimize this potential occurrence.

Devil, we can mess around a little tonight if you want. I would like to do ranked tonight for sure to get some more experience with everyone we have been running with. Myself and To-le will be on around 9:30 est. I can hit up Sowa and Muldoon as im sure they will be on as well and fill in as necessary. We can start to compile a list of friends that are willing to get this rolling so we have a decent friends list to see who is online at certain times. My list is growing each day but the last couple of nights, people havent really been on much but that may be due to the holidays. Ill pst you later on Devildog or Cheerleader.

Keep me in the loop as to what time you guys are q'ing a bunch of us in ld50 don't care about rating and can help field your teams , I can heal pub or imp side , or dps pub side. Contact me in game Combatmedicjr / rippernine. I like the ideas being passed around in this thread if we can get something going on a regular basis , get a time where everyone meets in a mumble which i can provide , get team captains pick even teams , hopefully avoid drama lol and field a few even teams.

TL7 has the problem of having no set team either. Several of us (at least on pub side) are willing to join up with others though. And we were doing Tuesday nights, but it's been difficult to get everyone together lately. I will try to find a day that works for most of us and post it.

I've had some luck grouping with some guys from Pillars of Ashla & another guild (sorry can't remember the name) and grinding some EWH comms. They were great to play with and wanted to keep the 2 teams they had going even and would trade up players. They are worth a shoutout.

-Liz, TL7

I like where this discussion is heading, long time lurker first time poster. I have quite a few characters on the pub side that can fit a majority of roles needed for a ranked team and working on gearing a healer on the imp. If anyone wants to put something together please feel free to message me.

Pub: Kaz (scoundrel healer), Krizi (Hybrid tank) Kazarie (Tank and DPS gear), Iruy (Gunslinger)

Imp: Kazrie (Merc healer) Krazi (Sorc healer)

Well we tried to do something positive for ranked, even split Lds members amongst several groups, was a mostly fun night, minus uncensored/unicorns. Looking to try again soon thanks all involved.

All this was just brought to my attention. Please know that I didn't keep up on the forums as much as I would have liked and I would have liked to get involved in order to ensure Uncensored can represent in a positive light. The majority of my guild loves what everyone is doing and I will do everything in my power to keep this going as fair as possible. Contact me, I will be on imp or pub. Just /who UNC. All my toons begin with Jinx. I will work with other leaders to divide teams up. Hope there isn't any hard feelings and feel free to voice any concerns.

Thanks