The Jedi Consular story....

Mekias

Level 50 Consular Sage here; wasn't bored at all. Simply put, if you don't like diplomacy and following the Jedi Code, you're probably not going to be impressed with the consular storyline.

You're essentially playing an Obi-esque character; as you might recall, they're somewhat low-key until they absolutely have no other choice. For folk looking for excitement, thrills, and action, this likely doesn't hit the sweet spot of expectation. Then again, for those who get diplomacy as a profession and its affect on much larger events, it is exciting, thrilling, and action-filled.

(And no, the storyline doesn't really "change" except that your encounters with the "evil" folk get harder as you go along.)

My $0.02 worth.

Try out the Inquisitor. That would let you exchange the story with keeping the combat play style. See if it appeals better to your attitude and then let us know what you think in comparison. This would be a bit more constructive than being just another body in the sea of forum trolls. ;)

Level 50 Consular Sage here; wasn't bored at all. Simply put, if you don't like diplomacy and following the Jedi Code, you're probably not going to be impressed with the consular storyline.

You're essentially playing an Obi-esque character; as you might recall, they're somewhat low-key until they absolutely have no other choice. For folk looking for excitement, thrills, and action, this likely doesn't hit the sweet spot of expectation. Then again, for those who get diplomacy as a profession and its affect on much larger events, it is exciting, thrilling, and action-filled.

(And no, the storyline doesn't really "change" except that your encounters with the "evil" folk get harder as you go along.)

My $0.02 worth.

The above two credits worth only applies if you're playing your Consular as a primarily Light-sided character.

Dark side: You get to punch an old man in the face.

There is that; I didn't at all address the light/dark options (mostly because I'm Light V and can't speak to both). :)

Perhaps the dark side story gets more interesting, but I suspect only in that "trying to hide your true nature" way... after all, someone on the Jedi Council is bound to notice, right?

Oh. Wait. Long history of "surprise" betrayals and defections.

Nevermind. :)

I think the main problem is having to track master after master to give them your shielding (which supposedly weakens you but not really). It gets repetitive. Oh and getting our romances last, so they end up very rushed, and one of them is a padawan, which seems even worse. Should've added her to the team before Balmorra and done more with her training, maybe up to her becoming a knight.

Making a holocron, messing with ancient force artifacts and diplomacy are all fine.

I enjoyed it. Chapter 1 may be a little slow in its middle milestone but the end is kinda nice. Chapters 2 and 3 are, imho, very good; I love those histaories.

But as said: if you expect high dosis of action and shootin'&slicin', you'll be disappointed. If you enjoy the "Jedi Consul way of live", it should satisfy you.

I've found several stories are boring until Chapter 2. Consulars, I've heard the worst about your class story. Is it just Chapter 1? Or are Chapter 2 and 3 bad as well?

For accurate answer, I'll need to go on spoiler territory.

Chapter 1

There is a strange Force Madness that makes even the most powerfull master Jedi to go mad and start killing sprees and plotting mass destructions. You have to learn a shielding techinque that protects them from whatever is causing this illnes while investigatin who is behind this. At the end it's all about a Darth Sith Lord who possessed a Jedi that was left behind on a mission and takes revenge on his teammates.

Chapter 2

The Rift Alliance, a group of outer rim planets, threats leaving the republic because they felt they're left apart in the war and they must endure the war by their own methods. You are sent as an emissary to work on a treaty to make them allies of the Republic. But there is a mole in your team and you have to undercover him while saving the outer rim planets.

Chapter 3

The mole you discovered in chapter 2 claims to be a Child of the Emperor, powerfull siths that can corrupt the minds of republic loyalist and turn the to the Empire. They're indetectable, real sleeping agents scattered through the ranks of the Republic to make mayhem on the new war that is just starting. You have two objetives: find and neutralize The First Son (the most powerfull of the group and who shields the presence of the Child to the Force) and recruit and army to help the Republic in this war

I havet he line between chapter 2 and 3 a little blurry, if someone want to correct me, I welcome it.

I was really, and totally, disapointed by the final ending of the Concular class. As well as the romance...

I knew, as doing a shadow, that I would do diplomatics. I thought the first part was great even if somewhat too long. I was glad to end this (poor hundreds of jedi masters... all died ^^)

Second part was OK. Getting alliance and such.

Then for the whole third part until the end at Corellia I found it excellent. Chasing Sons of the Emperor (who are actually real Sith who had seen the Emperor and then got their memory erased and send to high placed such as Diplomats, or on Tython to become a Jedi and so on).

Discovering who is the First Son is also so thrilling. And I expected at that time an epic battle, a real hard fight.

* Warning, may contain some spoilers *

But then... the end. How disapointing... When you finally finds out where is the First Son hiding. And go to kill/save/fight against him... I was waiting for something EPIC. Something big, where you need to travel the whole galaxy with your Esh-Kha, Voss and Droid army and friends.

Like when you go on this spaceship to save the crew how got slaughtered by a mad Jedi. Or on that space station to free Nadia's father and the King and Queen (or president) of Nadia's planet. That was something. Interesting, incredible fight, I thought (with the CO2 barrel you need to explode in order to control this totally overpowered Sith...)

But this First Son...

First the settings: "it's a trap !" well, yes, it is. In a bunker on Corellia, you end up in a lame cave, alone with your prefered compagnion. Facing this First Son, half fighting against himself to resist the power of the Sith in him. (that was maybe the only cool thing in the fight).

Not going on a epic travel, to find his space station, or anything.

Nothing Epic, nothing special. Killed him easily with Tharan (died first time with Nadia...). Just like any other Son of the Emperor. Just like any other Elite mob.

And then ? the final scene. I'm already "THE" Barsen'thor, okay, great, and ? And nothing. A small scene with nome men, some clapping, some rewards for the people I freed of I made rejoin the Republic, and for me ? "Great respect and go battle on Ilum b*tch, there's much to do" Ok well.. great ending...

I was refused to be on the council (was that because I'm completely on the Dark Side of the Force ? or was it because I was not able to save the Jedi from the First Son ? Even if I tried to ! I specifically did chose every choice to not kill or attack him (even if I'm complete dark, I still wanted to save this guy...)

And that's it. Disapointed. No real reward from the Republic.

So then, frustrated as I was, I went on youtube to see other ending possibilities.

If you're light sided or if you save the First Son (not sure which make sit, the one on the video did both), you get a place at the Jedi Concil ! How cool ! I would have loved that at least to make my disapointing less big.

Then, I went to see the Jedi Knight ending. And there... I felt busted.

The whole ending, settings and scene is EPIC.

*warning spoiler here on the ending of Jedi Knight*

First, he got to kill the Emperor. Ok, I'm fine with this. The First Son is cool too. But he travals to the Emperor's Space Station: Setting is epic. Has a huge double story with it, epic. Get help from "not any longer" ally from the Emperor (epic). Get (at least I though) huge reward and recognotion from both the Jedi Concil and the Military.

In the ending scene (while people appause and stuff) you get to see "known faces" in it. Like the soldier on Alderaan (the one in the cinematic who burst a grenade at his and the sith's face), the one you can actually see on Alderaan during the bonus missions. And so on.

Oh, and you get a Son of the Emperor as Compagnion too, and the Emperor's Wrath/right hand too...

Your padawan (as a Knight) becomes a Knith.

My poor Nadia is barrley a Padawan and not even mentioned in the ending. And so on...

After seeing this, I really felt disapointed. So much could have been done for this last fight / compagnion quest / recongnition.

Why not putting the First Son by the side of the Emperor ? On the same space station, and you would get a cinematic like "Go my son, take care of this useless Consular, I'll take this worthless Jedi Kight" <3

Or being on his station/spaceship, with lots of many other Sith, and having the First Son battle against you, against himself and against other Sith, helping you as he takes over the First Son spirit and attacking you as he loses control. Double <3

Endless possibilities to give a feeling or epicness to this ending. Not a "forever alone" cave...

And I would have loved Ending class quest (only the ending, or ending of each chapter, not each quest) to be as hard as Heroic 2 or even Heroic 4. Travaling with friends in your spaceship instantly brings the Epicness and Awesomenss to it.

A small word (and last) on Nadia... It is hard NOT to get married to her. As late compagnon get an appreciation bonus, got her to 10k in less than... 3 lvl maybe ? Having sometimes some 800+ bonus in one answer...

And she disobey instantly to the Jedi Code as she literarly throws herself in your arms. I expected it would have been harder to make out with a Jedi. Bringing Dark Side "point" if chosing to romance her. But not.

I thought I had a innocent and imature small girl on my ship that didn't relize whe wants to make out with a horrible Jedi murderer... at least she is pretty.

Things too easy bring no satisfaction :(

Sorry for this huge text ^^

Finngarh, Barsen'thor (w tf ?) and unknown saver of the Republic

(I really have no more guilt or remorse to have killed all those failured jedis...)

Edited by Finngarh

I have to admit, I was surprised and hoping to be wrong when they let teasers out of the First Son's identity in the beginning of 3; then I was disappointed that I wound up not only facing him down in a cave, but had to call in my trooper partner to help me defeat him (Hello, healers and randomly dropping rocks that one shot you do not mix!).

I was pretty jazzed about getting a seat on the council, but could make no sense of the outcome that I get a title essentially based on chapter 2 as my chapter 3 reward. (I hear the title used to be "of the Jedi Council" and it should have stayed that way, frankly.)

I was also disappointed that, as a new member of the Jedi Council not only do I find I'm still barred from the damn council chambers unless they summon me, they don't actually want to talk to me except to pat me on the head and send me on my way to Ilum.

I enjoyed the storyline overall, but kind of wish there were more than just "repeatedly relive the battle of ilum while waiting for the next crisis". (Serves me right for leveling capping so early, I know, but dang, I should have some kind of class-specific rotation of dailies rather than the same things every day, over and over... at least enough class-specific dailies that I could imagine they're different from the dailies everyone and their brother are running.)

I still think there's a lot of value (and mileage) to be had in getting some kind of "take a padawan" quests to return you to Tython as mentor to new/lower level players. This would be perfectly in alignment with not only the canon, but with the concept of what a Consular is all about.

Not so much a "side kick" thing, but having quest lines that pit you against new threats, your padawan against things they wouldn't see unless they were in this master/padawan relationship, and both players reaping some manner of status/reward (alternate means of social points; perhaps shared turn-ins where divergent quests come together for "the report to the council") as a result of being a loosely operating "team".

Dreams for the future, I suppose. Back to Ilum and the stack of the usual dailies with me... :cool:

Edited by Phydra

I was pretty jazzed about getting a seat on the council, but could make no sense of the outcome that I get a title essentially based on chapter 2 as my chapter 3 reward. (I hear the title used to be "of the Jedi Council" and it should have stayed that way, frankly.)

I personnaly thought the identity of the First Son was really cool. Huge turn over that brought a little thrilling and excitment, knowing this guy for so long. Instantly bringing me a crucial question: will I save him or not ? ^^

What's the title anyway ? I didn't pay any attention to this as I found this ending so... worthless ? Was that really the title you could get ? That would have been classy for sure ! But then, if depending on the Force Side, or any choice made, one (like me ?) would feel "injured" ? not having this such, we have to admit, ba das s title ! (i get censored if I write it in one)

This idea of getting a player-padawan sounds like fun !

Edited by Finngarh

Personally, I'm halfway through Act Two and really enjoying it. As a shadow, it seems act 2 is more my sort of territory but I enjoyed Act One as well. Frankly, why be disappointed with a consular story that deals with diplomacy? That's what we do.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually read most of this thread to avoid spoilers.

I did not care for the Consular's story (I played it through to the end). I went Light the whole way, so it may be different for others. But for me the story lacked heart (I realize Jedi isn't known for heart.).

I waited for the story to get better and it never did, for me the whole story was one note all the way through, I never felt scared, or sad, extremely happy or surprised. It was very scripted. Also..

The three acts felt like they were a puzzle and the pieces were just kind of jammed together. There was no real flow between them. The Jedi Masters falling to the illness, The forming of the Rift alliance, and the discovery and defeat of the first son were all so different, and it was jarring switching between the 3.

I expected everything to come together full circle at the end and it never really did for me.

We defeat the first son, fly to Tython, I give a speech, and it is done. I get 9k credits for my troubles, a gear mod, and a letter from Syo saying "Thanks, im gonna hide out for a bit, cheers, here is a Rank 2 companion gift."

The end didn't feel epic or satisfying to me personally.

I've enjoyed the consular story so far (level 16 on Coruscant). It is entirely different from the knight, smuggler, inquisitor, and agent stories that I've played. If you want a more action hero story with bravado and jumping into action, grab the knight. If you want sarcasm and snarky one liners with run and gun action, go smuggler. If you want a backstabbing, manipulating, bag the girl story, that'd be the agent.

I've played inquisitor the furthest (started act 2). That has lots of action, but also an "outcast" in the empire kind of feel so that you can really go LS or DS. If you like to just take joy from tazing people, go DS. If you like to be the guy that wants to change the world and do whatever you want b/c that's what makes you "free" you can go LS. Some good sarcasm and a good "learn the mysteries of the dark side of the force" story. More action than the consular story, but not a ton.

But I also like the consular which puts me fully into the diplomat style story. I disabled the LS/DS helps on conversation and just pick what I want. As a shadow, I play where my goal is to save and serve the republic, which leads me to sometimes choose the darker option...

(early spoiler)

the "true republic" quest- i chose to steal the senator's package which proved he was working with the sith empire rather than choosing the ideal that an elected official and his senatorial dealings should be protected.

What's the title anyway ?

Mender of the Rift. Which has no reference at all to Act 3.

I do agree that the finale was a lot less Epic than it should have been, and has practically no visible impact on the Galactic stage.

While Consulars do indeed work in the background, and the potential damage caused by the Children of the Emperor is theoretically pretty bad, it has zero impact on any non-Consular storyline, whereas the actions of the Jedi Knight and the Bounty Hunter in particular do have direct impact on everyone else (Emperor's body destroyed, Supreme Chancellor killed or forced to resign).

My $0.02 worth.

I agree - I found it fun; especially later on with the leading your own little army of elite troops around Corellia like some uber Jedi General. The sad thing for me was the troops are largely inconsequential and you don't actually get to lead them against enemy armies in combat; but then there is virtually no such gameplay in SWTOR (yet?) sadly, which seems to devalue the effort one puts in to building an army through diplomacy and cunning.

I agree doubly with the Obi comment - you really are the quintessential Kenobi Jedi from the films; keeping your head low (especially as a Shadow), negotiating, manipulating enemies into surrender or bringing them to the Light, and only fighting when all this fails. Result is you get to make witty and caustic remarks (and even the occasional 'Hello there' to some uber Sith Lord and at least one 'I have a baaad feeling about this'), but when the enemy won't yield, you suddenly throw off your cloak and kick major *ss.

Played as a tank/balance Shadow all the way through; great fun being proficient with both sabre and Force and the dialogue really matched the Obi paradigm... Plus (not got any epic gear yet) have 24% defence chance (deflection and parrying) before battle buffs and deflection ability, so one can parry blaster bolts like a Boss, whilst Sith Warriors and Marauders pretty much just bounce off me harmlessly in battle feelsgoodman.jpg.

Edited by QuiQuaeQuod