TORWARS has an interesting piece.

TheBBP

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see alot more swtor fans that are upset with the direction of the game and rabid fanboys attacking anyone that doesnt praise bioware than just nasty attacks slaming the game.

But to a rabid fanboy i guess anyone not saying this game is great and servers are full looks like someone attacking swtor.

I see alot more swtor fans that are upset with the direction of the game and rabid fanboys attacking anyone that doesnt praise bioware than just nasty attacks slaming the game.

But to a rabid fanboy i guess anyone not saying this game is great and servers are full looks like someone attacking swtor.

Shh. You're "driving the point home."

The sooner you realize this is true of the whole internet, not just here in TOR's general forums, the better.

I disagree. There are many communities around who have a grasp on what is rational.

• Dev Post

We definitely want the forums to be a welcoming place for people to discuss the game, but we also understand that people do have lots of feedback that they want to share with us, and that some of that feedback is going to be negative. We do work to encourage constructive criticism (and often close threads that are not constructive), but we also don't want to close everything that says something negative. We're always reading the forums and gathering feedback to pass along. All constructive feedback and discussion does have a place here, and we hope that everyone in the community can respect others' opinions - even if they differ from your own.

Our Community Representatives work hard to help keep the forums clean and to keep threads and posts within the rules, but it is very, very helpful if community members use the "flag" feature to report anything that breaks the rules. This brings it to our attention quickly so the Community Representatives can address it. If someone is breaking the rules, we encourage you to flag the post and move on, and we'll take care of it! Just flagging and not responding in kind helps keep flaming and other unconstructive posts off the forums.

Can't we just agree that we're all gamers with different opinions on what we like in our gaming experience? The constant back and forth about "haters" and "fanboys" is nauseating, and does little to help the dearth of constructive discussion. Edited by Noviru
quoting removed content

Wonder how many of these fansites will die in the next 6-7 months. They are already having to resort to imaginative drivel to keep their blogs going.

they cant make comics about the ingame things anymore because they themselves aren't logging in.:rolleyes:

We definitely want the forums to be a welcoming place for people to discuss the game, but we also understand that people do have lots of feedback that they want to share with us, and that some of that feedback is going to be negative. We do work to encourage constructive criticism (and often close threads that are not constructive), but we also don't want to close everything that says something negative. We're always reading the forums and gathering feedback to pass along. All constructive feedback and discussion does have a place here, and we hope that everyone in the community can respect others' opinions - even if they differ from your own.

Our Community Representatives work hard to help keep the forums clean and to keep threads and posts within the rules, but it is very, very helpful if community members use the "flag" feature to report anything that breaks the rules. This brings it to our attention quickly so the Community Representatives can address it. If someone is breaking the rules, we encourage you to flag the post and move on, and we'll take care of it! Just flagging and not responding in kind helps keep flaming and other unconstructive posts off the forums.

Thanks, AB. This post should be stickied and plastered everywhere.

Why do you insist on ascribing an "Us vs Them" mentality to the boards?

Can't we just agree that we're all gamers with different opinions on what we like in our gaming experience? The constant back and forth about "haters" and "fanboys" is nauseating, and does little to help the dearth of constructive discussion.

Well see, that's the problem. When it ultimately comes down to preference, it will always be an "Us vs. Them" slap-fest. For example, let's say we have half the community who is overall satisfied with the game - they like the direction, they enjoy the gameplay, and despite the bugs and other pressing issues, they see the potential this game has to offer. The other half of the community wants to turn it into SWG 2.0 or EQ/WoW/MMO of preference clone. Not much that can be done to satisfy either group - swing one way and half the playerbase gets ticked, swing the other way, and it's the same thing. What ultimately needs to happen is that people just need to realize that not every game is for them, if they are not enjoying SWTOR, then they bought the wrong game and just need to move on.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

There are very few discussions. The negative feedback is rarely posed in a constructive form. When it is, that leads to decent discussion. How much better are you for calling anyone who likes the game "fanbois, biodrones and apologists"?

That is the type of thing that helps drive the point of the comic.

Not everyone in this forum has a PhD in English or is a master in literary debates. The art of providing constructive and totally subjective criticism takes years to develop. SWTOR forums is not like a debate on BBC.

We are gamers here in this forum. Our feedback will be crude, direct and often crass. That's how we are and that's how we shall be. And yet, our feedback in this forum is more valuable to Bioware than the opinionated mediocre articles that TORWars prints.

Thank You!

Edited by Zilrota
removed rude - sent PM

Well see, that's the problem. When it ultimately comes down to preference, it will always be an "Us vs. Them" slap-fest. For example, let's say we have half the community who is overall satisfied with the game - they like the direction, they enjoy the gameplay, and despite the bugs and other pressing issues, they see the potential this game has to offer. The other half of the community wants to turn it into SWG 2.0 or EQ/WoW/MMO of preference clone. Not much that can be done to satisfy either group - swing one way and half the playerbase gets ticked, swing the other way, and it's the same thing. What ultimately needs to happen is that people just need to realize that not every game is for them, if they are not enjoying SWTOR, then they bought the wrong game and just need to move on.

BJ

In the same breath we have to admit that MMOs are works-in-progress; MMOs also offer a unique and unprecedented level of cooperation between developers and players which encourages a back-and-forth dialogue meant to foster a cooperative development path that necessarily includes negativity and criticism. Just read Amber's post, which sums this up nicely.

Your last comment--in bold--is extremely narrow-minded.

Edited by Dezzi

If anyone with a problem is a hater, whiner or rant laced complainer, then anyone who likes the game is a fanboi, biodrone or apologist.

People with problems about the game aren't haters until they spew useless dribble that does not promote constructive conversations. Don't even pretend to act like you don't know the difference.

People with problems about the game aren't haters until they spew useless dribble that does not promote constructive conversations. Don't even pretend to act like you don't know the difference.

What would "TOR is the best game ever made" translate to in terms of a label? Since we're supporting the practice...

Why do you insist on ascribing an "Us vs Them" mentality to the boards?

I don't. I was simply responding to some saying that If someone does not like the negativity in the forums then don't visit the forums.

Can't we just agree that we're all gamers with different opinions on what we like in our gaming experience? The constant back and forth about "haters" and "fanboys" is nauseating, and does little to help the dearth of constructive discussion.

Please convey your thoughts to the person who said that we should not visit the forums if we don't enjoy the toxic negativity. ;)

I have no issue with discussing differing opinions or views about the game.

But let's not pretend that negative non-constructive bashing of the game is in any way actual discussion about the game. It's simply someone firing off their own personal rantfest, most often using highly exggerated or hyperbolic opinion as their tool of choice. All I said was that those who enjoy the game are not going to leave the forums to escape the venom. That is precisely what the the venom pushers want. Not going to happen.

What would "TOR is the best game ever made" translate to in terms of a label? Since we're supporting the practice...

Interesting ad hominem ploy, IMO.

This right here would be your attempt to do what you just falsely accused me of doing...... creating an "US or THEM" with the added sweetness of asking us to define for you a perjorative about people who actually feel the this game is the best game they have ever played.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypocrisy appears relevant here.

Edited by Andryah

If you think this board is toxic then you are very thin skinned and I'm shocked you are able to function in society. This board is nowhere near the worst as far as angry boards go. In fact this board had been downright pleasant compared to how it was during launch.

This board is nowhere near the worst as far as angry boards go. In fact this board had been downright pleasant compared to how it was during launch.

I agree with you on this. On the other hand, this forum is much better then it was in January and about half of February. In January I think it actually did rival some of the worst boards on the internet.

I have to say that the moderators of this forum are much much more objective about their moderation then most game forums I have ever seen. They tolerate a lot, and they do it well while walking the fine line between freedom of expresion and keeping the floors clean of all the really nasty stuff that people toss from time to time.

Edited by Andryah