Class Feedback

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

1. How do you think your Sniper spec is perceived by other classes?

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By opponents that are currently most active (Marauders and Sentinels) they hate us and want us nerfed because we are their only counter. By our own guilds, They'd rather use a marauder to fill their PVP ranked teams unless we spec to plasma probe for node defense. And for PVE DPS, a marauder does better.

I like the gameplay of full marksman, but it's not the optimum spec due to mitigation, therefore I'm forced to play Lethality or someone will compare my DPS to a marauder and not want me in their group.

Edited by DSafana

I generally play a lethality spec for sniper, almost purely PVE.

I think lethality is generally considered a good end game PVE and PVP spec. However, I think sniper specs in general are sort of ignored by the general game population. No real negativity towards them, nor any great love.

Mobility is seen as a weakness of all the specs. It's not even that snipers don't want to move, it is just clunky to do so. The slight time delay in standing from cover means all the snipers I've seen eat the red targets in operations boss fights at a much higher rate (Toth & Zorn especially) than other classes.

I think it's pretty good for single target damage (PVE operations and PVP) although rather poor for solo questing. I think it's pretty well balanced although a little squishy with a lack of talented defensive abiities.

Oh, and lethality is garbage as a leveling spec.

Edited by Infalliable

I am going to preface my answers by saying I ONLY PvP. Aside from the occasional hardmode, I dont do any raiding.

I feel that snipers are feared by the oposing team if left alone, but they know they are generally easily shut down if focused. A good team will focus a sniper and keep them sitting in the reswawn pit more than anything.Some kind of an escape would be a huge help for staying alive.

I have run two of the sniper Specs for quite some time, MM and Lethality. What makes me sad is after playing MM for about 3 months, I finally realized I had to give it up. Despite recent buffs and my true love for the spec, it just isnt competitive compared to lethality. This is largely because of damage mitigation just destroying the white damage put out by this spec. Lethality is amazingly good, but at the same time I find it boring to do the same set up and Cull over and over and over. MM Feels like a real sniper, but until the damage is tech, or something else is changed I dont believe it will be viable at a high level.

Edited by Elboc

I play a marksman sniper.

I expect that marksmen snipers are considered to be easy kills in pvp, but deadly if ignored especially to healers and low armor classes. In pve marksmen snipers are seen to have good dps but are required to remain stationary so dps suffers greatly when forced to move often. Marksmen are viewed as pure dps without mobility or utility.

In pvp i view myself as a supporting class focusing on killing healers or denying areas especially in huttball. In pve i view myself as a mass add killer with orbital strike and a damage dealer whose value to the operation is solely additional personal dps.

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

1. Standard ranged DPS class. Lots of burst, very squishy. Can be LoS'ed out of cover.

2. Man, I can kill anything that holds still long enough. Except FP and Op bosses.

The majority of my time is spent as an Engineering Sniper in PvP.

Underrated, Engineering is definitely the least popular sniper spec and it's utility is not that well known outside of those who play the spec. When I explain the spec to others they are often surprised at it's capabilities. Those who know about plasma probe interrupting objective capping often think it's overpowered.

Very powerful ranged dps with some excellent utility. I would go so far as saying that engineering sniper is the best ranged dps to bring to organized group PvP, as it has more CC, more burst damage, more utility, and more AoE pressure damage than Sorcerers and Mercenaries.

I play marksman mostly, for the burst in some situations in PvE or quick kill in PvP, after 1.3 i use lethality more often then before - it has more overall damage (like +200 dps). I'll describe marksman spec:

1. MM spec is not easily recognized by enemies since you stay quite away from them. If they figure out what's killing them - they begin to hunt us hard or avoid us altogether. They eventually succeed and lose interest for some time, then the cycle repeats or they stay on us until the very end of the match. Allies don't think much of this spec, it's very hard to notice even by teammates.

2. It's a random roll - you either hit for some 5-6k or receive an "absorb" notification and die soon after. Seeing how Bounty Hunters ignores most of the armor with their attacks i can't understand why we don't. Almost no defensive abilities, no reliable way to slow down an opponent that is running away - LoS is an issue, it's reducing the usefulness of the spec to zero.

I think Sniper is seen as a massive annoyance that can kill you.

Right about in the right place. High possible damage output, but difficult to play and get right.

I generally play PvE only. We're valuable to the raid in my guild - lots of DPS (I generally am top 2 DPS in most fights). However, we don't bring much utility. I feel we're often passed over for marauders due to greater raid utility but have not experienced this personally.

Marks pre-1.3 was great - felt like a sniper and did high single target and good burst. Lethality is where it's at now for highest DPS, but it's a fairly boring rotation with little utility and poor multi-target abilities.

Edited by metaldragen

I think we're kind've in a hazy area where most classes don't think much about us. FOTM maras/sents or pyrotechs tend to complain the first time they experience a cover pulse or leg shot?

PvP wise, 1-49 doesn't matter, and lvl 50 PvP is dominated by maras/sents and vangs/pyros. So I think most people feel relief, to see a sniper.

I like it a whole heck of a lot more than my mercenary. I often feel like I could do much better with a mara/sent or a pyrotech, but I generally feel as if I have just enough tools, and unique useful properties, to be relatively content on my sniper.

I think sniper, at least after recent changes, is probably among the best balanced ACs.

I think we could use, in lvls 51-55, something like a 'Sniper Redeploy' cd, where we can turn invis and get a speed boost for five or six seconds.

Edited by clearsighted

I play engineering spec, which most people don't know about its capabilities, other than recent complaints that our PP is too overpowered in Warzones. I've been told by members of my guild, and PUG groups, that I should switch to Lethality do get the most out of my dps.

I played MM for months, then switched to Engineering, and found my DPS to increase in both raids and PVP, but my feeling of being useful to my team in PVP skyrocketed. However, it seems to have been proven by parses that Lethality out-dpses MM and Engineering by a fair amount in PVE, so I feel like I'm sacrificing my usefulness in raids in order to play a spec I love. I worry if this continues, I'll be pressured by my guild, and simply not accepted in PuGs, unless I switch to Lethality.

1. Long range death that is hard to get to and usually best avoiding.

2. Works well with others but alone can find it difficult to adjust to enemies on top of you. Quite squishy if the wrong enemy gets too close and you can't keep your distance ('but don't look like you're keeping your distance'!)

Pretty good damage for both PVE and PVP....but generally class cannons (Squishy).

In operations, they're great single target damage, and the Ballistic Shield comes in handy for certain encounters.

Lacks mobility compared to other ranged classes.

Mostly the same as the above answer overall.

MM and hybrids: Bursty, least mobility, good aoe, decent survivability. Good energy regen.

Lethality: Best mobility, less bursty, highest sustained damage potential, but less durable. Energy regen requires more monitoring. Dots can be difficult to track with current UI limitations. AOE is required for single target damage, which can be cumbersome in some situations.

Engineering: Good energy regen and survivability, great AOE, least single-target damage potential, clunky/slow feeling mechanics. Same problem as Lethality with AOE abilities required in single target situations.

I think people that play other ACs kind of look past the Sniper for the most part. Its not the most amazing AC, and its not the most popular AC. I think they are missing out though.

I think the Sniper AC is a competitively powerful AC that gets overlooked. Its a very fun AC to play due to its lack of down time between those big hits everyone likes to see when they are dpsing. At times I feel less mobile than others, but the big crits make up for it when I get into position.

Beta to 1.3 Marksman, 1.3 to present Lethality

Snipers are considered a secondary AC at the moment. Although I am pushing 2200 cunning, many people would rather have a Pyro/Mara in their group. It's really hard being a sniper because our only option is 3 trees of DPS. Hence, we should always be at the top damage because we can't go heal or tank (lol, tank). Equally geared maras and pyros just smash out more DPS and they know it. In PvP, once we are found out we spend more time in the respawn area than anything.

I have fun playing it, but have created alts because its not as sniper'ish, or fun, being Lethality as the Marksman. I do push out great dps, but seeing others drop 200-300 more is just disheartening. The tech/armor pen issue is a real pain and that is why I do not play it as much as I used to.

My Sniper spec is Marksman. I think most people perceive it as underpowered, weak, and unhelpful.

I think it is just the right combination of pure single target death dealing and personal survival. It is not a glass cannon. It takes a lot to kill a smart Marksman and that Marksman will make you pay for ever pixel of healthbar in the process.

1. There is no common opinion about snipers. Some claim its very easy to kill while others consider them a very serious threat. The current sniper weaknesses ensure that sniper is not considered overpowered no matter what their ranged dps output is.

2. First and foremost a support class that will never be able to carry a team by himself/herself. Sniper performance in game scales incredibly based on the other team members' skill. The better the team, the exponentially more stronger the sniper is. Same goes for opposite. A good marauder or pt can carry a bad team, a good sniper is not enough.

Sniper is currently the best and probably the only viable ranged dps in pvp. Other ranged dps classes are lacking eirher burst, survivability or utility.

Congratulations on designing a class that may probably have the best and most balanced, fun and interesting selection of specs for a dps class.

Despite all the burst, sniper is way behind in healer killing capability compared to marauders and pt pyro. 12 second interrupt coupled with inability to follow the target behind the corner makes a dedicated healer killer job an exrremely frustrating experience.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by NoTomorrow

PvE DPS (Lethality)

General: A Sniper?!? Lethawhat?!?

Guildmates: Long time to setup, vulnerable to target switches. High mobility. High DPS. Little utility.

Annoying. Explosive Conflict involves a lot of target switching, which Lethality is very poor at. Make Corrosive Grenade reset if a target affected by it dies, or give a Skill that makes Corrosive Dart apply the DoT of Corrosive Grenade (even a weaker version that does not proc say Adhesive Corrosives etc) to help out in all situations where splash AoE is not an option. Nothing but love for Cull.

PvP DPS (Lethality)

Depends. When revealed as a Lethality sniper, I seem to go up in priority to be killed and people tend to avoid me if not going for the kill. Before that, I'm mostly ignored (don't use ambush, so don't have people LoS me until Cull starts rolling).

2. The cooldown on Corrosive Grenade, once again. The time to setup a cull is more understandable, but Dart, Grenade, Weakening Blast and finally Cull is a lot of work - in particular if someone else gets going on them and they are dead during Cull - means idling around for Grenade to pop back up to continue the assault. Same suggestions as for PvE would go here.

Lethality is probably the best "ranged DPS" realisation I've seen in a MMO. It feels like playing a melee with 30 meters range, and even though some mechanics are clunky, it's a boatload of fun.

Engineering spec here. Viewpoint from a PvP perspective.

1. Engineering is now becoming more popular, but only for the 18s Plasma Probe defense, which is really a one-trick thing. Other than that most people are not really aware of the abilities of the spec, and some will outright dismiss it. Still a sniper, so still a relatively easy class LoS, and a nice big red target marker to help them find you. I've also only seen one 'nerf Plasma Probe!!' QQ in the PvP section, so most people either ignore us, or underestimate us.

2. Most useful of the three specs, but lacking on-demand burst with the relatively slow cooldown on Explosive Probe. Very good defender, and great fun to play, but sometimes I really want either more range, or a fade-into-stealth-while-not-moving-or-while-in-cover ability to be able to really feel like a sniper and not just a guy with a gun. I really also would not mind seeing Sniper DPS on par with Pyros and Marauders, since our only role is as DPS.

Edited by ScribbleC

I play normally as an MM sniper, more so in PvE than PvP.

1. MM is viewed as one of the highest DPS builds along with Annihilation Marauders. In the absence of Arsenal Mercenaries or Juggernauts, Shatter Shot is extremely useful utility, and in EV, Ballistic Shield is very useful for the Missile Barrages from the first boss. But it is viewed, rightly or wrongly, as having issues with mobility due to its reliance on attacks from cover.

2. In PvP, we might get beaten down in the initial burst, but in general, I find I last longer under fire than I do on my Assassin in DPS spec. The immunity to charges and interrupts, immunity to CC with Entrench up, the knockback with a root, the additional instant root we can use on top of that, Flash Bang if you're alone and about to get stormed by a group, the ability to dodge powerful attacks such as High Energy Bolt and Aimed Shot with Evasion, Ballistic Shield and Siege Bunker to mitigate AoE damage.. the MM Sniper is very good at what it does and has a lot of tools that make it greatly harder to kill. Our greatest enemy is the Infiltration Shadow or Scrapper Scoundrel.

In PvE, I actually disagree that MM has lower mobility than the other specs. It is dependent on cover for optimal DPS, but there are a lot of perks to the tree to help compensate. Orbital Strike's cast time is reduced by 1 second making it less likely to get interrupted, similarly Reactive Shot reduces the cast time on Ambush, Followthrough can be used out of cover while repositioning, we have Cover Screen to keep our ranged defense up while we're moving, and Snap Shot gives us an instant re-opener for when we get back into cover. So our damage out of cover isn't as good as the other trees.. we can still use Corrosive Dart and Overload Shot, or if we know the move is coming, we can do a burst phase and use the transition to recover energy. It's that kind of flexibility and depth that makes me love playing MM and resist playing anything else.

Hi everyone,

Lets start this out by saying I play a PVE Marksman sniper, I do not PVP so I can't really comment on that aspect.

1) in FP and world content we're regarded as a very powerful and useful spec, one shoting weak or standard enemies, burning through strong enemies in a couple of shots and taking out large groups of enemies with an orbital strike. OPS groups are starting to see us as less and less of a resource they want to have though, we do good dps, but it seems everyone else can do it better now. we are quickly being passed by Lethality snipers, and even engineering can do the same or higher then us now.

2) I chose sniper to play a hard hitting ranged combatant and Marksman is fun to play, but now that armour reduction debuffs aren't terribly broken, because being able to negate 100% of armour was broken, we find our damage being over mitigated compared to other classes. I greatly dislike Lethality, I've never liked DoT classes, and really don't want to play it, but I keep being told by more and more people that I'd "be better" if I respeced. I think that our spec has too many things that focus on defense and not enough focus on increasing our shots damage.

All 3 specs are perceived about the same...Easiest DPS to kill. Just get them out of cover or attack them moving and they go down quicker than any other class by far. They are most deadly in huttball since getting to them is more difficult, but not much of an asset in any other WZ. Almost no utility (except PP for engineering), limited mobility and less dmg than top dps classes. Higher skill cap too.

Same as above. There should be no difference in #1 and #2 unless you are assuming answers for #1 from people that have no experience in the game. If so, then what is the point of this???

Spec

31 Marksman- 7 Engineering -3 Lethality

In Warzones I think people perceive me as a threat that needs to be shut down. It has never been uncommon to watch someone run past 2-4 players in order to take a long trek up a ramp to attack me. I don't believe they would do this all for an "easy kill", but more so stop me from hurting them.

I personally love my spec, however I do realize that I am not choosing the optimal spec for PVE dps (which would be lethality). MM feels like what I think a sniper should be, precise and hard hitting. I don't really care if it is not the "best" spec because it has not held back my progression at all (finished clearing normal EC), as long as I can pull my weight I am satisfied.

Edited by Katrasle

How do other classes view me?

UNKNOWN TARGET EFFECT

How do I view my own class?

UNKNOWN TARGET EFFECT

Suggestions?

Seriously, bioware. Why build a mechanic where in the heat of PvP, especially on Novare, I have to stand there like an idiot and get f/cked in the A cause I didn't realize there was some fold of dirt or piece of metal crap that prevents me from taking cover?