Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Jonlinar
01.11.2012 , 01:05 PM | #521
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
Full drive encryption, whichever sort comes packed in with Fedora anyway, doesn't cause this sort of an effect. Once the key is entered it's pretty much completely transparent. What kind of general performance impact it has I've never measured, but it doesn't dramatically affect boot up time.
Full-drive encryption, like BitLocker, is dependent on special hardware that performs the transformation.

DarthSublimitas
01.11.2012 , 01:06 PM | #522
Quote: Originally Posted by Granrick View Post
But since he said they aren't, your point is moot.
Not necessarily... companies say a lot of things to cover their assets Look at Adobe. They are famous for putting "viruses" on your computer all in the name of DRM.

Don't believe everything that you hear just because a company rep says so... We all need further investigation into this.
"The Truth Shall Free Me"
And humour makes our lives worth living:
http://www.lo-ping.org/2012/01/20/th...ode-iii-and-v/ Why it's bad to plagiarize:http://auditorydepredation.files.wor...6231905169.jpg

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 01:07 PM | #523
Quote: Originally Posted by nonforma View Post
Full drive encryption can increase boot time substantially, but once the main system files are cached things are about normal.

That said, this encryption would be on specific assets, not runtime files (which are susceptible to such disk encryption slowdown). The bulk of required assets can be decrypted during the long planet load time. There are several large cache files in the game that have very high disk i/o during load times.
Interesting, but if they were being decrypted and loaded into memory during the load time, it shouldn't cause any further performance issues. The second process doesn't generally use enough memory for it to be storing a large amount of assets, so if they were, for example, being unpacked into it and then rendered into the client as we've been discussing, it'd have to be a relatively small proportion of the total assets at worst.

Could the high disk i/o be connected with the texture difficulties Mr. Reid explained earlier?
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Propanelgen
01.11.2012 , 01:07 PM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by TheTurniipKing View Post
Actually, by the sounds of it, this could actually go a long way to making the game MORE playable on lesser PCs, since the strain of rendering is on the internet connection, and not the local graphics card.
Yeah, maybe if you have a 5 gigabit/s Internet connection

DarthSublimitas
01.11.2012 , 01:08 PM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by FaithInChaoz View Post
all i can say this thread is absolute lame, pull yourself together guys, stop speculating on things that are beyond you.

since i know bioware for so long, actually they are 1 of the only company that ONLY THINKS FOR THE GAMERS, not for the CASH and thats practicaly proved by the years

althou with EA involved they might turn bioware visions into the $$$, i just hope they will keep their spirit up and dont give up to EA greediness :P

and i`m certain if anything stupid like this as the OP suggest is involved Bioware 10000% will first talk to the gamers about this before anything else

what i can say... lame thread is lame
BW has their hands tied - why? EA owns them. They bought BW a long time ago...
"The Truth Shall Free Me"
And humour makes our lives worth living:
http://www.lo-ping.org/2012/01/20/th...ode-iii-and-v/ Why it's bad to plagiarize:http://auditorydepredation.files.wor...6231905169.jpg

SquaLLio
01.11.2012 , 01:09 PM | #526
Do you think it's possible their warden system could be taking a hit on performance?
I know with many newer PC games (The Witcher), the DRM would completely kill the FPS.
From what I read, they didn't add warden to the game until official launch. That would explain beta clients running smoother than retail.
Isn't "warden" basically just a more advanced DRM?

Palanor
01.11.2012 , 01:09 PM | #527
Stephen Reid's explanition makes perfect sense. One thing that I noticed right away in playing SWTOR is the pure number of dog legs in the level design. This is typically done for performance reasons to reduce the number of objects (mainly objects that move and need to be rerendered, such as other players or mobs) that need to be rendered by the client.

WoW does this as well in Ironforge, Stormwind, basically all major cities. GoW, Halo, also employ the same technique.

Just look for hallways or walls that limit your frustum.

Bluebpy
01.11.2012 , 01:10 PM | #528
To Stephan........ and well everyone else who has been participating in this thread since the start

The reason why people think there is more to what you are saying comes down to performance

you have high end machines that are struggling with low res textures, other mmo's run fine, high end games i.e. battlefield 3 run fine. swtor struggles in fleets and in open world. the game chugs like its loading assets (paging issue it seems) and as a result you are down to 20fps.

Most people can't fathom how the game could be released when it runs so bad. Some (myself included) could let this slide if it was running high res textures and that's what was causing low performance (as per your 1st post/explanation on textures)

The fact is, the game is running low res textures, looks ugly, and is bringing down rigs with 12-16gigs of ram running i-7's and high end videocards in sli/xfire to its knee's

This is normal? Then you or someone else from bioware on a joystix interview say that its our rigs that are the problem.

This is why we think there is wayyyy more to the story then you and bioware are saying. There are too many holes in your story.

Don't get me wrong, i love swtor but my god the engine runs terrible

Bioware.. we are not console gamers, we aren't sheep. We are pc gamers. We are smart and will find problems and call you out on them....

CupieFoxtail
01.11.2012 , 01:10 PM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by Incendergel View Post
Not much fun depending on yoru play style.
Yeah I have some friends that play on WoW private servers
Not a fan, personally
But my friends still play on there instead of resubbing to WoW, /shrug

Oh and @ the guy above me
take off the tinfoil hat

nonforma
01.11.2012 , 01:10 PM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
Interesting, but if they were being decrypted and loaded into memory during the load time, it shouldn't cause any further performance issues. The second process doesn't generally use enough memory for it to be storing a large amount of assets, so if they were, for example, being unpacked into it and then rendered into the client as we've been discussing, it'd have to be a relatively small proportion of the total assets at worst.

Could the high disk i/o be connected with the texture difficulties Mr. Reid explained earlier?
I'd imagine it would be decrypting into the large cache files, which it seems to be given their activity during loading. If the decryption local server dumped to memory, you'd basically be doubling memory usage as the actual game process also loads the assets into memory.

The cache files stay the same size, so it would be pushing out old data as new data comes in. The assets loaded ahead of time would not include all the needed character textures since it couldn't anticipate them. This would explain the bursts of HD activity during gameplay.

And yes, I'd say the two are very linked. I've never heard of a game that was able to run high res textures removing the option later. PC gamers know that they have to tweak their video options to get a good experience. So there must be a reason that they are removing the ability for us to use these. Since it has been confirmed the assets aren't being streamed over the internet, then they are still on the local installations. Basically I'm speculating that the remote calls for decryption keys are causing too much load on the servers, so they reduced the number of calls via texture atlases, with a downside being loss of quality.