Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Lienwyn
01.11.2012 , 07:53 AM | #41
Seriously, EA, **** you.

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 07:53 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by krinaman View Post
Didn't have time to read all the threads but how much of this is fact and how much is speculation. Because from the posts I read i've seen it's mostly wild speculation based of a the name of a DLL.
Someone actually took apart the DLL to find where it was apparently reducing texture size, for a start.

The second swtor.exe process also seems to be somehow tied into the remote rendering server file.

I'm not sure where the inital person to claim it was a copy protection mechanism got his data: might've gotten it from that research paper I found on google because some of it was almost the same.

So yeah, largely speculation, but it fits the facts far, far too well for my liking.

Also, it's really hard to explain what else a 'remote renderer' could be...
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Virgle
01.11.2012 , 07:54 AM | #43
If this is true all I want to hear is, "Sorry folks, this system didn't work out and here's the date that it will be fixed/disabled..." This Big Brother stuff with removing options instead of fixing them is a really poor response that needs to stop now.

Zlodo
01.11.2012 , 07:54 AM | #44
[nevermind, the op is baloney]

Deamor
01.11.2012 , 07:54 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Lienwyn View Post
Seriously, EA, **** you.
Now now... Let's not get hasty and jump into conclusions just yet. This is all just speculation at this point. No need to start acting childish over this issue yet.
▔▔▔▔▔╲╱▔▔▔▔▔
The Red Eclipse - EU

VorpalK
01.11.2012 , 07:55 AM | #46
What an incredibly horrible technical decision, if true. Hopefully this is something they can remove without too much difficulty.

BW: DRM will never do anything to stop those you might fear would "Steal" your art assets.

It will only degrade the game (as we are apparently seeing here) and cause technical hardships for your legitimate paying customers.

I really don't understand what chain of logic could possibly have resulted in this kind of a setup.

I'm really glad I don't work QA for you guys.
CE Preorder VIP
PvE players on PVE servers should NEVER be forced into PvP through the actions of greifers. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=159167

Blackfriar
01.11.2012 , 07:55 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Hexyn View Post
Perhaps this has something to do with the long loading times for some areas aswell, it's kinda strange how the loading bar just stops (HDD activity also reduces to minimum) at about 30% through as if you are queued for something remote.
I have this. Every freaking area.
What makes the grass grow? Blood makes the grass grow!

Cioffaz
01.11.2012 , 07:56 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Deamor View Post
Now now... Let's not get hasty and jump into conclusions just yet. This is all just speculation at this point. No need to start acting childish over this issue yet.
And we need this topic OPEN, so no bs in replies please

So, we're going to split the money 50/50, right?

Refer me pls!

Anagnostis
01.11.2012 , 07:58 AM | #49
So THAT'S what the second swtor.exe process is. It's eating up 250k of processing and I want it baaaaaaaack.
- Has successfully scavenged HK -47.
- Has successfully killed Darth Malgus without pushing him.
Every day I'm smugglin'

KreiosX
01.11.2012 , 07:59 AM | #50
Begs the question why can't they be like every other gaming company and just sue people into oblivion who steal their data vs throttling the games performance for the sake protection.